[TheClimate.Vote] January 4, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Jan 4 09:59:55 EST 2019

/January 4, 2019/

[Not loudly announced]
*FOSSIL FUEL INDUSTRY CONCEDES DEFEAT IN PORTLAND INFRASTRUCTURE CASE*
December 28, 2018 by Nicholas Caleb
Last week, climate activists cheered the news that the Western States
Petroleum Association declined to pursue an appeal of Portland's Fossil
Fuel Terminal Zoning Amendments to the United States Supreme Court.
After losing Dormant Commerce Clause challenges at the Oregon Court of
Appeals (January, 2018) and Oregon Supreme Court (July, 2018), it seemed
likely that the fossil fuel industry representative would continue to
fight. However, the December 21, 2018 deadline passed without a filing.
As it stands, the largely favorable lower court decisions have clarified
the powers of local governments to protect their residents from the
dangers of the fossil fuel industry.
The City of Portland is now free to reinstitute the Fossil Fuel Terminal
Zoning Amendments, which prohibited new and expanded large-scale fossil
fuel infrastructure in Portland. CSE and our partners will be there to
ensure that this process begins immediately...
- - -
Other legal troubles loom. The Public Utilities Commission has said it's
considering a variety of measures to deal with PG&E's safety record,
including a possible breakup of the utility.
More at -
https://sustainable-economy.org/fossil-fuel-industry-concedes-defeat-in-portland-infrastructure-case/

[What defines a crime?]
*Camp Fire: PG&E could be prosecuted for murder, attorney general says
in filing*
Pacific Gas & Electric Co. could be prosecuted for murder, manslaughter
or lesser criminal charges if investigators determine that "reckless
operation" of its power equipment caused any of Northern California's
deadly wildfires in the past two years, California's attorney general says.
Attorney General Xavier Becerra, in an opinion submitted to a federal
judge overseeing the criminal case following PG&E's fatal 2010
natural-gas pipeline explosion in San Bruno, outlined a variety of
scenarios under which the embattled utility could face criminal charges
in the Camp Fire or other deadly blazes since 2017.

The legal brief submitted by Becerra's office said prosecutors would
have to gauge PG&E's "mental state" before determining which charges, if
any, to bring. The charges would range from murder to a misdemeanor
negligence charge, according to the brief.

Becerra's opinion underscores the mounting problems facing PG&E, which
could be liable for billions of dollars in civil damages in connection
with the Camp Fire and the flurry of deadly fires in the wine country
and elsewhere in Northern California in late 2017...
https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article223713155.html

[Wise but not yet angry enough]
*Jay Inslee Is Betting He Can Win the Presidency on Climate Change*
The Washington governor believes his focus on the environment will
resonate with voters. But can he persuade enough Americans to pay
attention to him?
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/01/washington-governor-jay-inslee-running-president/579217/

[Follow the money]
*Climate Costs in 2018: Top 10 Disasters Cost $85 Billion*
By Dana Drugmand
With 2018 having just drawn to a close, some organizations have begun to
tally the staggering climate-related costs of a year featuring severe
drought, heat, fires, floods and storms around the world. Ten of the
biggest disasters cost at least $85 billion in total damages, according
to a recent report by the United Kingdom-based organization Christian Aid.

The report, "Counting the Cost: A Year of Climate Breakdown," looked
into events including catastrophic flooding in Kerala, India to
devastating wildfires in California, extreme weather events exacerbated
by a warming climate. Christian Aid, which works to eradicate global
poverty, identifies the top 10 climate-related disasters of 2018 costing
more than a billion dollars each. Hurricanes Florence and Michael and
the California wildfires in November topped the list, marking yet
another expensive year of extreme weather for the United States.

"The year has once again featured extremes of weather made worse by
human-induced climate change, with major consequences, costs, and human
suffering," said Dr. Kevin Trenberth, senior scientist at the National
Center for Atmospheric Research.

The devastation of 2018 comes on the heels of 2017, which was the
costliest year yet in the U.S. with more than $300 billion in damages
from climate-related disasters. In 2018, at least a dozen extreme
weather events cost at least a billion dollars each, according to the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

According to NOAA, the seven years with the most billion-dollar
disasters have all come in the past decade.

While it is impossible to predict whether billion-dollar events will
continue to climb,  "We are seeing a gradual upward trend in the number
of billion dollar disasters even when counting for inflation," said
Climate Central meteorologist Sean Sublette.

Other factors, like increasing population and economic development,
contribute to higher damage costs because more people and property are
concentrated in climate-vulnerable areas like coastal cities. But
climate change is the underlying factor that leads to more extreme, and
more expensive, natural disasters.

"As the climate does continue to warm, so will the odds of greater
floods," Sublette said. "There's more moisture in the atmosphere and
heavier rain that in turn leads to more flooding. Then you compound that
with the fact that there is a growing population and more development so
those two things together are dramatically increasing the risk to life
and property from natural disasters. When we look at climate change, we
need to look at this as a risk management thing."

As reports like Christian Aid's show, that risk is already a reality
with real human impacts and economic costs. "This report shows that for
many people, climate change is having devastating impacts on their lives
and livelihoods right now," said Dr. Kat Kramer, Christian Aid's global
climate lead.

As global temperatures continue to rise, so too will the costs and
consequences. The $300 billion price tag of extreme weather in the U.S.
in 2017 is not an anomaly: The federal government's latest national
climate report warned that climate change could cost the U.S. hundreds
of billions of dollars annually by century's end. Worldwide, damage
costs are projected to climb into the tens of trillions of dollars
without rapid decarbonization. A UN report released last October
estimated that global economic damages by 2100 would reach $54 trillion
with 1.5 degrees Celsius of warming, and $69 trillion with 2 degrees C
warming.

"The science is clear. Without rapid cuts in CO2 and other greenhouse
gases, climate change will have increasingly destructive and
irreversible impacts on life on Earth," World Meteorological
Organization secretary-general Petteri Taalas said in a recent statement.

While more extreme weather and other impacts are commonly described as
the "new normal," experts explain that the climate system is dynamic and
unpredictable. "It's going to continue to progressively get worse until
we find a way to mitigate it or adapt," Sublette said.
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2019/01/03/climate-costs-2018/

[Over decades]
*Al Gore: America Is Close to a 'Political Tipping Point' on Climate Change*
The former vice president discusses how the politics of the environment
have changed considerably over his decades of advocacy.
EDWARD-ISAAC DOVERE
Al Gore is mostly done with politics these days. Though he popped up at
a campaign stop with Hillary Clinton in 2016, he's otherwise safely in
the very small group of nationally known Democrats not thinking of
running for president in 2020.

But Gore remains engaged on his signature policy issue: climate change,
for which the national political conversation is just starting to catch
up to his warnings from decades ago. While he was a senator, through his
eight years as vice president, and during his 2000 presidential
campaign, Gore was tagged on the campaign trail as a global-warning
alarmist obsessed with data and far-off predictions. Now, between the
growing support for the "Green New Deal" in Congress and the
presidential candidates railing against climate change, the Democratic
Party has made aggressive action central to its developing identity.

The former vice president, who's won an Oscar, for his 2006 film An
Inconvenient Truth, and a Nobel Peace Prize, for his environmental
advocacy, speaks often at United Nations and other international
meetings on climate change, events that some American officials and
other prominent figures continue to attend despite President Donald
Trump's decision to stop sending official representatives on behalf of
his administration.

What Gore hasn't done much of, though, is talk directly about American
politics and political candidates, including the dynamics within the
party that nominated him for president 18 years ago.

Gore and I spoke recently for a story about Washington Governor Jay
Inslee, who is readying a presidential campaign that will make climate
change and America's response to it the central issue and cause. (Gore
says he isn't making an endorsement, or at least not yet.) We talked
about why he thinks the national conversation on climate has changed and
what he thinks hasn't changed quickly enough. Here's more of our
interview, which has been lightly edited and condensed for clarity.

Isaac Dovere: Where do you see the politics of climate change right now?

Al Gore: I think that we are extremely close to a political tipping
point. We may actually be crossing it right about now. The much-vaunted
tribalism in American politics has contributed to an odd anomaly, in
that the core of one of our political parties is uniquely--in all of the
world-- still rejecting not just the science, but also the messages from
Mother Nature that have pushed toward, and perhaps are pushing across,
this political tipping point right now.

More and more people on the conservative side of the spectrum are really
changing their positions now. This election, in 2020, is almost
certainly going to be different from any previous presidential election
in that a number of candidates will be placing climate at or near the
top of their agenda. And I think that by the time the first primary and
caucus votes are cast a year from now, you're going to see a very
different political dialogue in the U.S.

The climate-related extreme-weather events are causing millions of
people who had successfully pushed this issue into the background and
into the projected distant future to now be finding ways to talk about
it and to express their deep concern.

Dovere: When you were in politics and talking about climate change, you
were made fun for it. Is that weird to think about now?

Gore: Forty years ago, it was not easy to get people's sustained
attention for this looming crisis. It's much easier now.

Dovere: What do you make of the Democratic presidential contenders
talking about climate change now?

Gore: Leaders who advocate solutions to the climate crisis should all
run. There are several who have indicated they want to make this the No.
1 issue, who are in the midst of deciding whether to run or not. And I
think it's good for the country and good for the world to have this
issue elevated into the top tier during this upcoming campaign.

Dovere: Every time there's a new report on climate change, activists
say, "We've got to get going before it's too late." And every time
there's a new report, climate-change deniers say, "Well, you said the
world was ending the last time." Do you think there's actually a point
when it will be too late?

Gore: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. famously said, "There is such a thing
as too late." [King's words are often remembered this way, but the
actual quote is: "We are faced with the fact, my friends, that tomorrow
is today. Procrastination is still the thief of time. Over the bleached
bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the
pathetic words 'Too Late.'"] And indeed there is. But where the climate
crisis is concerned, we have actually already done some significant
damage, some of which, regrettably, is not recoverable. Many people are
hesitant to acknowledge that, because it creates a risk of despair. I
know that from my long political involvement in this issue. In my first
movie, I made this statement: "There are people who go straight from
denial to despair without pausing on the intermediate step, to actually
solving the crisis." That is the case.

But let me be clear: Even though some low-lying coastal communities are
already going to face devastating sea-level rise no matter what we do,
it is also undeniably true that we still have the ability to prevent the
absolutely catastrophic results that would pose an existential threat to
human civilization's survival. And we must act, even while acknowledging
that some damage has already been done.

Dovere: Where is it too late?

Gore: We heard the discouraging news a couple of years ago that a major
component of the West Antarctic ice sheet has now crossed a negative
tipping point, and will almost certainly collapse no matter what we do.
So for those who were hoping that we could have a comprehensive global
response in time to prevent any of these damages, that was an emotional
blow. But the scientists who have deep expertise on that part of the
issue tell us quickly, "OK, wait. We still have the ability to affect
the rate of that collapse, and more importantly, we still have the
ability almost certainly to forestall the collapse of the other large
ice sheets, behind that one. And we still have the ability to prevent
the collapse of ice sheets in East Antarctica that could take the
sea-level rise unimaginably higher."

So how do we respond emotionally and, then, politically? We just have to
be clear-eyed about it--and we have to be brave about it--in
acknowledging that for some of these consequences, it's already too
late, but for the most serious of them, it is not too late.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/01/al-gore-q-climate-change-and-2020-democrats/579340/

[93% incredible odds]
*10 Worst-Case Climate Predictions If We Don't Keep Global Temperatures
Under 1.5 Degrees Celsius*
If humankind carries on its business-as-usual approach to climate
change, there's a 93 percent chance we're barreling toward a potentially
catastrophic level of warming
by Lorraine Chow
The summer of 2018 was intense: deadly wildfires, persistent drought,
killer floods and record-breaking heat. Although scientists exercise
great care before linking individual weather events to climate change,
the rise in global temperatures caused by human activities has been
found to increase the severity, likelihood and duration of such conditions.

Globally, 2018 is on pace to be the fourth-hottest year on record. Only
2015, 2016 and 2017 were hotter. The Paris climate agreement aims to
hold temperature rise below 1.5 to 2 degrees Celsius, but if humankind
carries on its business-as-usual approach to climate change, there's a
93 percent chance we're barreling toward a world that is 4 degrees
Celsius warmer by the end of the century, a potentially catastrophic
level of warming.

*A Warning and a Reckoning*
In 1992, 1,700 scientists around the world issued a chilling "warning to
humanity." The infamous letter declared that humans were on a "collision
course" with the natural world if they did not rein in their
environmentally damaging activities.

Such apocalyptic thinking might be easy to mock, and not entirely
helpful in inspiring political action if end times are nigh. In 2017,
however, more than 15,000 scientists from 184 countries co-signed their
names to an updated--and even bleaker--version of the 1992 manifesto.

The latest version, titled "World Scientists' Warning to Humanity: A
Second Notice," asserts that most of the environmental challenges raised
in the original letter--i.e., depletion of freshwater sources,
overfishing, plummeting biodiversity, unsustainable human population
growth--remain unsolved and are "getting far worse."

"Especially troubling is the current trajectory of potentially
catastrophic climate change due to rising [greenhouse gases] from
burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and agricultural
production--particularly from farming ruminants for meat consumption,"
the paper states.

"Moreover," the authors wrote, "We have unleashed a mass extinction
event, the sixth in roughly 540 million years, wherein many current life
forms could be annihilated or at least committed to extinction by the
end of this century."

But they stressed that, "Soon it will be too late to shift course away
from our failing trajectory, and time is running out."

More recently, President Trump's own administration released on November
23 the 1,600-page Fourth National Climate Assessment, a quadrennial
report compiled by 13 federal agencies. This report paints a
particularly grim picture, including more frequent droughts, floods,
wildfires and extreme weather, declining crop yields, the rise of
disease-carrying insects and rising seas--all of which could reduce U.S.
gross domestic product by a tenth by the end of the century.

So what we saw this summer? Unless humanity gets its act together, we
can expect much worse to come. Here's a peek into our climate-addled future.

*1. Species Extinction*
The Amazon, one of the most biodiverse places on Earth, could lose about
70 percent of its plant and amphibian species and more than 60 percent
of its birds, mammals and reptile species from unchecked climate change,
according to a 2018 study by the University of East Anglia, the James
Cook University and World Wildlife Fund (WWF), which analyzed the impact
of climate change on nearly 80,000 species of plants, birds, mammals,
reptiles and amphibians inhabiting the WWF's 35 "Priority Places" for
conservation.

The study's most alarming projection was for the Miombo Woodlands in
central and Southern Africa, one of the priority places most vulnerable
to climate change. If global temperatures rose 4.5 degrees Celsius, the
researchers projected the loss of 90 percent of amphibians and 80
percent or more of plants, birds, mammals and reptiles.

This incredible loss of biodiversity affects humans, too. "This is not
simply about the disappearance of certain species from particular
places, but about profound changes to ecosystems that provide vital
services to hundreds of millions of people," the authors warned.

*2. Food Insecurity and Nutritional Deficiencies*
While climate change could actually benefit colder parts of the world
with longer growing seasons, tropical and subtropical regions in Africa,
South America, India and Europe could lose vast chunks of arable land.
For coastal countries, rising seas could inundate farming land and
drinking water with salt.

Staple crops such as wheat, rice, maize and soybeans, which provide
two-thirds of the world's caloric intake, are sensitive to temperature
and precipitation and to rising atmospheric concentrations of carbon
dioxide. A sweeping 2017 study showed that every degree-Celsius of
warming will reduce average global yields of wheat by 6 percent, rice by
3.2 percent, maize by 7.4 percent and soybeans by 3.1 percent.

What's more, according to a recent paper, carbon dioxide levels expected
by 2050 will make staple crops such as rice and wheat less nutritious.
This could result in 175 million people becoming zinc deficient (which
can cause a wide array of health impacts, including impaired growth and
immune function and impotence) and 122 million people becoming protein
deficient (which can cause edema, fat accumulation in liver cells, loss
of muscle mass and in children, stunted growth). Additionally, the
researchers found that more than 1 billion women and children could lose
a large portion of their dietary iron intake, putting them at increased
risk of anemia and other diseases.

*3. Farewell to Coastal Cities and Island Nations*
Unless we cut heat-trapping greenhouse gases, scientists predict sea
levels could rise up to three feet by 2100, according to the
International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fifth Assessment report.

This could bring high tides and surges from strong storms, and be
devastating for the millions of people living in coastal areas. The
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) published a
report earlier this year that predicted parts of Miami, New York City
and San Francisco could flood every day by 2100, under a sea-level rise
scenario of three feet.

Entire countries could also be swallowed by the sea due to global
warming. Kiribati, a nation consisting of 33 atolls and reef islands in
the South Pacific, is expected to be one of the first.

Kiribati won't be alone. At least eight islands have already disappeared
into the Pacific Ocean due to rising sea levels since 2016, and an April
study said that most coral atolls will be uninhabitable by the mid-21st
century.

*4. Social Conflict and Mass Migration*
In 2017, New York Magazine Deputy Editor David Wallace-Wells wrote an
alarming and widely read essay called "The Uninhabitable Earth" that
focused almost entirely on worst-case climate scenarios. He discussed
that, with diminished resources and increased migration caused by
flooding, "social conflict could more than double this century."

The article's scientific merit has been fiercely debated, but the World
Bank did conclude in March 2018 that water scarcity, crop failure and
rising sea levels could displace 143 million people by 2050. The report
focused on Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Latin America, which
represent 55 percent of the developing world's population.
Unsurprisingly, the poorest and most climate-vulnerable areas will be
hardest hit.

*5. Lethal Heat*
Today, around 30 percent of the global population suffers deadly levels
of heat and humidity for at least 20 days a year, a 2017 analysis
showed. If emissions continue increasing at current rates, the
researchers suggested 74 percent of the global population--three in four
people--will experience more than 20 days of lethal heat waves.

"Our attitude towards the environment has been so reckless that we are
running out of good choices for the future," Camilo Mora of the
University of Hawaii at Manoa, the study's lead author, told National
Geographic.

"For heatwaves, our options are now between bad or terrible," he added.
"Many people around the world are already paying the ultimate price of
heatwaves."

*6. Surging Wildfires*
The Camp Fire, which burned more than 150,000 acres in Butte County in
November, was the deadliest and most destructive fire in California's
history, killing at least 85 people. The Mendocino Complex Fire, which
started in July and torched roughly 300,000 acres in Northern
California, was the largest fire in the state's modern history. The
second-largest was 2017's Thomas Fire, which burned 281,000 acres in
Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.

But the Golden State's fires will only get worse, according to
California's Fourth Climate Change Assessment released by the governor's
office in August. If greenhouse gases continue rising, large fires that
burn more than 25,000 acres will increase by 50 percent by the end of
the century, and the volume of acres that will be burned by wildfires in
an average year will increase by 77 percent, the report said.

"Higher spring and summer temperatures and earlier spring snowmelt
typically cause soils to be drier for longer, increasing the likelihood
of drought and a longer wildfire season, particularly in the western
United States," The Union of Concerned Scientists explained in a blog post.

"These hot, dry conditions also increase the likelihood that wildfires
will be more intense and long-burning once they are started by lightning
strikes or human error."

*7. Hurricanes: More Frequent, More Intense*
It's not currently clear if changes in climate directly led to 2017's
major hurricanes, including Harvey, Irma, Maria and Ophelia. What we do
know is this: Moist air over warm ocean water is hurricane fuel.

"Everything in the atmosphere now is impacted by the fact that it's
warmer than it's ever been," CNN Senior Meteorologist Brandon Miller
said. "There's more water vapor in the atmosphere. The ocean is warmer.
And all of that really only pushes the impact in one direction, and that
is worse: higher surge in storms, higher rainfall in storms."

NOAA concluded this June that, "It is likely that greenhouse warming
will cause hurricanes in the coming century to be more intense globally
and have higher rainfall rates than present-day hurricanes."

*8. Melted Polar Ice and Permafrost*
The Arctic is warming at a rate twice as fast as the rest of the planet,
and continued loss of ice and snow cover "will cause big changes to
ocean currents, to circulation of the atmosphere, to fisheries and
especially to the air temperature, which will warm up because there
isn't any ice cooling the surface anymore," Peter Wadhams, head of the
Polar Ocean Physics Group at the University of Cambridge, told Public
Radio International. "That will have an effect, for instance, on air
currents over Greenland, which will increase the melt rate of the
Greenland ice sheet."

Not only that, frozen Arctic soil--or permafrost--is starting to melt,
causing the release of methane, a far more potent greenhouse gas than
carbon dioxide. It's said that the permafrost holds 1.8 trillion tons of
carbon, more than twice as much as is currently suspended in the Earth's
atmosphere. Wadhams explained that the fear is that the permafrost will
melt in "one rapid go." If that happens, "The amount of methane that
comes out will be a huge pulse, and that would have a detectable climate
change, maybe 0.6 of a degree... So, it would be just a big jerk to the
global climate."

*9. The Spread of Pathogens*
Disturbingly, permafrost is full of pathogens, and its melting could
unleash once-frozen bacteria and viruses, The Atlantic reported. In
2016, dozens of people were hospitalized and a 12-year-old boy died
after an outbreak of anthrax in Siberia. More than 2,000 reindeer were
also infected. Anthrax hadn't been seen in the region for 75 years. The
cause? Scientists suggested that a heat wave thawed a reindeer carcass
that was infected with the disease decades ago, according to NPR.

While we shouldn't get too frightened about Earth's once-frozen
pathogens wiping us out (yet), the warming planet has also widened the
geographic ranges of ticks, mosquitoes and other organisms that carry
disease.

"We now have dengue in southern parts of Texas," George C. Stewart,
McKee Professor of Microbial Pathogenesis and chair of the department of
veterinary pathobiology at the University of Missouri, told Scientific
American. "Malaria is seen at higher elevations and latitudes as
temperatures climb. And the cholera agent, Vibrio cholerae, replicates
better at higher temperatures."

*10. Dead Corals*
As the world's largest carbon sink, our oceans bear the brunt of climate
change. But the more carbon it absorbs (about 22 million tons a day),
the more acidic the waters become. This could put a whole host of marine
life at risk, including coral reef ecosystems, the thousands of species
that depend on them and the estimated 1 billion people around the globe
who rely on healthy reefs for sustenance and income. According to
Science, "Researchers predict that with increasing levels of
acidification, most coral reefs will be gradually dissolving away by the
end of the century."

These climate predictions are worst-case scenarios, but there are many
more dangers to consider in our warming world. A report recently
published in the journal Nature Climate Change found "evidence for 467
pathways by which human health, water, food, economy, infrastructure and
security have been recently impacted by climate hazards such as warming,
heatwaves, precipitation, drought, floods, fires, storms, sea-level rise
and changes in natural land cover and ocean chemistry."

*Half a Degree Matters*
Since the 19th century, the Earth has warmed by 1 degree Celsius. Now, a
major IPCC special report released in October warns that even just a
half-degree more of warming could be disastrous. "Every extra bit of
warming matters, especially since warming of 1.5ºC or higher increases
the risk associated with long-lasting or irreversible changes, such as
the loss of some ecosystems," said Hans-Otto Portner, co-chair of IPCC
Working Group II.

The panel said that "limiting global warming to 1.5C compared to 2C
could go hand in hand with ensuring a more sustainable and equitable
society."
With President Trump saying he doesn't believe his own administration's
climate report, that sustainable and equitable society remains a distant
dream.

This article was produced by Earth - Food - Life, a project of the
Independent Media Institute, and originally published by Truthout.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike
3.0 License
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/01/02/10-worst-case-climate-predictions-if-we-dont-keep-global-temperatures-under-15

[practice, practice, practice]
*5 Buddhist Practices to Help Tackle Climate Change*
BY LAMA WILLA B. MILLER - NOVEMBER 26, 2018
Climate change can feel so immense that it hurts just to think about.
Lama Willa Miller offers five meditations to help bring the truth of
climate change into your awareness and lay the ground for a skillful
response.

    *1. Find a grounding in ethics..*
    *2. Get comfortable with uncertainty...*
    *3. Work with emotions...*
    *4. Access new wisdom...*
    *5. Find community...*

By practicing with ethics, uncertainty, emotion, wisdom, and community,
we develop an intimate understanding that being human is about what we
think and what we believe -- and we deepen our ability to embody our work.
Embodiment sends an indelible message that peace and sustainability can
become a lived reality. Even when they are imperfectly realized, we can
inspire the sense that our lives have meaning, and that we are living
our way into ever-increasing integrity with -- and service to -- our
beautiful, unfathomable and sacred world.
https://www.lionsroar.com/5-practices-to-help-you-skillfully-contemplate-climate-change/

[On a globe, goes around, comes around]
*It's Not Just America: Climate Policies Are Stumbling Worldwide*
According to the UN, most major polluters are not on track to meet their
Paris goals. But critics say that accounting may be too pessimistic.
ROBINSON MEYER
- -
The UN report identifies two reasons for the growing gap between the
Paris goals and reality. First, worldwide carbon pollution rose in 2017,
thanks to growing economies in Asia, booming SUV sales worldwide, and a
small increase in coal use in India. This was the first time that global
carbon emissions had risen in three years. Second, a blockbuster report
released last month by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
said that the world will not be able to directly remove as much carbon
dioxide from the atmosphere as once thought...
- -
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/11/how-hot-will-climate-change-make-earth/576700/

*This Day in Climate History - January 4,1996 - from D.R. Tucker*
January 4, 1996: The New York Times reports:

    "The earth's average surface temperature climbed to a record high
    last year, according to preliminary figures, bolstering scientists'
    sense that the burning of fossil fuels is warming the climate.

    "Spells of cold, snow and ice like the ones this winter in the
    northeastern United States come and go in one region or another, as
    do periods of unusual warmth. But the net result globally made 1995
    the warmest year since records first were kept in 1856, says a
    provisional report issued by the British Meteorological Office and
    the University of East Anglia.

    "The average temperature was 58.72 degrees Fahrenheit, according to
    the British data, seven-hundredths of a degree higher than the
    previous record, established in 1990.

    "The British figures, based on land and sea measurements around the
    world, are one of two sets of long-term data by which surface
    temperature trends are being tracked.

    "The other, maintained by the NASA Goddard Institute for Space
    Studies in New York, shows the average 1995 temperature at 59.7
    degrees, slightly ahead of 1990 as the warmest year since
    record-keeping began in 1866. But the difference is within the
    margin of sampling error, and the two years essentially finished
    neck and neck.

    "The preliminary Goddard figures differ from the British ones
    because they are based on a somewhat different combination of
    observations around the world.

    "One year does not a trend make, but the British figures show the
    years 1991 through 1995 to be warmer than any similar five-year
    period, including the two half-decades of the 1980's, the warmest
    decade on record.

    "This is so even though a sun-reflecting haze cast aloft by the 1991
    eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines cooled the earth
    substantially for about two years. Despite the post-Pinatubo
    cooling, the Goddard data show the early 1990's to have been nearly
    as warm as the late 1980's, which Goddard says was the warmest
    half-decade on record.

    "Dr. James E. Hansen, the director of the Goddard center, predicted
    last year that a new global record would be reached before 2000, and
    yesterday he said he now expected that 'we will still get at least a
    couple more' by then.

    "Dr. Hansen has been one of only a few scientists to maintain
    steadfastly that a century-long global warming trend is being caused
    mostly by human influence, a belief he reiterated yesterday."

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/04/world/95-is-hottest-year-on-record-as-the-global-trend-resumes.html?pagewanted=print