[TheClimate.Vote] January 11, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Jan 11 08:32:29 EST 2019

/January 11, 2019/

[average is 18%, current peak is 22.8]
*ASU engineers break solar cell record*
Institute Press Releases
School of Sustainability News - January 3, 2019
Thanks to Arizona State University researchers, solar cells are becoming
more and more efficient. Improving solar cell efficiency brings down the
cost of solar electricity, which allows this source of renewable energy
to become a viable option for more people.
Recently, Senior Sustainability Scientist Zachary Holman and Assistant
Research Professor Zhengshan "Jason" Yu in ASU's Ira A. Fulton Schools
of Engineering broke their own world-record efficiency percentage by
creating a tandem solar cell stacked with perovskite and silicon that is
25.4 percent efficient...The team estimates they'll be nearing 30
percent tandem efficiency within two years.
https://sustainability.asu.edu/news/archive/asu-engineers-break-solar-cell-record/

[about that fracking gas]
*Fracked Shale Oil Wells Drying Up Faster than Predicted, Wall Street
Journal Finds*
By Sharon Kelly - January 10, 2019
In 2015, Pioneer Natural Resources filed a report with the federal
Securities and Exchange Commission, in which the shale drilling and
fracking company said that it was "drilling the most productive wells in
the Eagle Ford Shale" in Texas.
- - -
Three years later, The Wall Street Journal checked the numbers,
investigating how those massive wells are turning out for Pioneer.
Turns out, not so well. And Pioneer is not alone.

Those 1.3 million-barrel wells, the Journal reported, "now appear to be
on a pace to produce about 482,000 barrels" apiece -- a little over a
third of what Pioneer told investors they could deliver.
- - -
Not only are the wells already drying up at a much faster rate than the
company predicted, according to the Journal's investigative report, but
Pioneer's projections require oil to flow for at least 50 years after
the well was drilled and fracked -- a projection experts told the
Journal would be "extremely optimistic."

Fracking every one of those wells required a vast amount of chemicals,
sand, and water. In Karnes County, Texas, one of the two Eagle Ford
counties where Pioneer concentrated its drilling in 2015, the average
round of fracking that year drank up roughly 143,000 barrels of water
per well...
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/01/10/fracking-shale-oil-wells-drying-faster-predicted-wall-street-journal
- - - -
[Also in Texas..]
*Dozens of Texas scientists send letter to Gov. Greg Abbott offering to
brief him on climate change*
Twenty-seven climate scientists, researchers and professors from Texas
universities sent a letter to Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday requesting to
the opportunity to brief him on climate science and what Texas needs to
do to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions and adapt to climate change.

The offer comes less than a month after the governor told a reporter it
was "impossible" for him to say whether man-made climate change has
affected weather disasters in Texas because he's "not a scientist."

The letter cites the governor's comments at a news conference following
a report on Hurricane Harvey with several recommendations for the Lone
Star State to protect itself from another major hurricane.

"We, the undersigned, are climate scientists and experts, and can report
to you that climate change is happening, it is primarily caused by
humans, and it is having a devastating impact on Texas, including
increasing deadly flooding resulting from Hurricane Harvey," the letter
says...
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/climate-change-1/2019/01/09/dozens-texas-scientists-send-letter-gov-greg-abbott-offering-brief-climate-change

[Climate Liability News]
*Oregon Court Again Dismisses State-Level Youth Climate Case*
An Oregon court has ruled that the state is not required to protect
public trust resources from the effects of climate change, a defeat for
two young plaintiffs who had sued the state under the common law public
trust doctrine.

The ruling, issued by the Oregon Court of Appeals on Wednesday, upholds
a lower court's decision that the state is only required not to sell its
public resources and that the only lands included in the public trust
are submerged and submersible lands. The appeals court declined to rule
on which other natural resources are part of the public trust.

"This means, for example, that while the State of Oregon may not
transfer the Williamette River to a private entity, the state has no
duty to protect the river from polluters, even though such contamination
would kill all the fish and make it impossible to recreate," said Liam
Sherlock, counsel for the plaintiffs.

In the suit, Chernaik v. Brown, Ollie Chernaik, now 18, and Kelsey
Juliana, who is now 22 and also a plaintiff in the landmark federal
climate lawsuit, Juliana v. United States, asked the state of Oregon to
declare the atmosphere, water resources, navigable waters, submerged and
submersible lands, islands, shorelands, coastal areas, wildlife and fish
as public trust resources that must be protected by the state.

They also alleged the state had failed to protect those resources from
the effects of climate change and asked the state to implement a plan to
cut its carbon dioxide emissions, which would help stabilize the global
climate.

The state argued that the suit contained political questions over which
the court did not have jurisdiction, contending that climate
change-related matters should be left to the legislative and executive
branches. That argument convinced Lane County Circuit Court Judge
Karsten Rasmussen to dismiss the case in 2012.

Chernaik and Juliana appealed and the Oregon Court of Appeals in 2014
reversed Rasmussen's decision. The Appeals court said the trial court
must decide whether the atmosphere is a public trust resource that the
state of Oregon has a duty to protect and if so, what the state must do
to protect it and other resources from the effects of climate change.
- - -
"The court's decision is a real abdication of the authority and the
trustee obligation of the state and it strips citizens of really
important rights," Olson said at a live-streamed press conference.
- -
"For almost a decade I have been part of this case and I am upset that
it has taken us so long to move through the courthouse on an issue that
will not wait," Chernaik said. "I am upset that the government won't
preserve all of our resources for future generations."
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2019/01/10/oregon-state-youth-climate-juliana/
- - -
[view the video]
Our Children's Trust Press conference by Oregon lawyers
https://www.facebook.com/youthvgov/videos/133921934227652/

[Faster than expected has been the catchphrase of scientists]
*Ocean Warming Is Accelerating Faster Than Thought, New Research Finds*
By Kendra Pierre-Louis - Jan. 10, 2019
Scientists say the world's oceans are warming far more quickly than
previously thought, a finding with dire implications for climate change
because almost all the excess heat absorbed by the planet ends up stored
in their waters.

A new analysis, published Thursday in the journal Science, found that
the oceans are heating up 40 percent faster on average than a United
Nations panel estimated five years ago. The researchers also concluded
that ocean temperatures have broken records for several straight years.

"2018 is going to be the warmest year on record for the Earth's oceans,"
said Zeke Hausfather, an energy systems analyst at the independent
climate research group Berkeley Earth and an author of the study. "As
2017 was the warmest year, and 2016 was the warmest year."

As the planet has warmed, the oceans have provided a critical buffer.
They have slowed the effects of climate change by absorbing 93 percent
of the heat trapped by the greenhouse gases humans pump into the
atmosphere...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/climate/ocean-warming-climate-change.html

[From a different perspective - France]
*Trump taps former coal lobbyist to lead EPA*
Agence France-Presse  Jan 10 2019
US President Donald Trump on Wednesday formally nominated Andrew
Wheeler, a former coal industry lobbyist, to lead the Environmental
Protection Agency.
The nomination of Wheeler, who is currently the acting EPA chief,
requires Senate confirmation.
Wheeler, 54, has been the interim agency administrator since Scott
Pruitt resigned in July amid a flurry of ethics scandals, including over
excessive spending of federal funds while in office.

If confirmed, Wheeler is expected to pursue Trump's agenda of rolling
back environmental regulations put in place by the Republican leader's
predecessor Barack Obama.
Among the measures taken under Trump are the scrapping of anti-pollution
rules for coal-fired power plants and the launch of a procedure to
soften emissions standards for cars after 2025.
That makes Wheeler a popular choice for the energy industry itself --
and a disastrous candidate for environmental activists.

"Putting a coal lobbyist like Andrew Wheeler in charge of the EPA is
like giving a thief the keys to a bank vault," the Sierra Club, a top
environmental defense group, said in November.

"He should be swiftly rejected by any senator who cares about protecting
the health of their constituents."
In November, Trump had vowed to push Wheeler's nomination forward,
saying he was doing a "fantastic job" as acting EPA chief.
The EPA is also looking to roll back clean water rules protecting the
nation's waterways and wetlands, fulfilling a pledge from Trump to farmers.

The agency has also proposed looser restrictions on mercury and other
toxic air pollutants from power plants.

All of these measures will take years to implement. Deregulation is just
as time-consuming as instituting regulations. And some of the EPA
proposals have been met with court action designed to block them.
Wheeler, 54, launched his career at the EPA as a lawyer, before heading
to Congress as a Senate staffer. As a lobbyist, he represented coal
producers, as well as companies in the chemical and uranium industries.
https://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/01/10/19/trump-taps-former-coal-lobbyist-to-lead-epa

[see how far we have come]
*How wide is the field? Gestalt therapy, capitalism and the natural world*
Steffi Bednarek posted January 10, 2019
Abstract: A recent UN report has warned that we are heading for an
unprecedented global
crisis if we do not radically change our ways. Climate change is no
longer a hypothetical
argument but a reality that threatens the existence of human and
other-than-human life on
the planet. With that information in mind, can we afford to keep
practising psychotherapy
with a focus on the individual and their personal needs, or do we need
to radically question
the role of psychotherapy in its lack of relationship to the
more-than-human world? This
article investigates where aspects of Gestalt psychotherapy may be too
closely aligned
with the capitalist paradigm, that risks costing us the Earth. I argue
that we need to widen
our notion of what is part of the field. I reflect on our theory in
relation to anthropocentrism,
individuality, materiality, privatisation, growth, progress and the lack
of a cosmological
perspective. This is by no means an exhaustive overview but an attempt
to open the
conversation.
individuality, materialism, systemic change, mythology, cosmology.
- - -
We seem to have become so inflated with our sense
of ourselves as a species that we cannot see our actual
dependence on that which we are destroying.
- - -
When it comes to transitioning out of the deep
rupture we have torn between us and the world, there
are no rules, no maps and hardly any elders to look to.
We need to decide where to steer the boat, and so it is
up to us to step out of our comfort zones and act in
service of something that is greater than us.
When alarm bells are repeatedly ignored, the
only way to wake up is through crisis. Is that where
we are heading? Some people suggest that we are at
the beginning of a major paradigm shift – a time of
transition between the world as we have known it and
a new world that we cannot know yet. In such a time it
is easy to feel disheartened and to dismiss what we have
to contribute.
Clarissa Pinkola Estes, a teacher of mine, reminds
us that:
Ours is not the task of fixing the entire world all at
once, but of stretching out to mend the part of the
world that is within our reach … It is not given to
us to know which acts or by whom, will cause the
critical mass to tip toward an enduring good. What
is needed for dramatic change is an accumulation of
acts, adding, adding to, adding more … When a great
ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be
no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for.
http://www.psychotherapyinbrighton.com/blogpost.php?permalink=how-wide-is-the-field-gestalt-therapy-capitalism-and-the-natural-world

[or stay still and the world moves around you]
*How soon will climate change force you to move?*
Across the country, far more people are in danger of becoming climate
refugees than you might think.
BY ADELE PETERS - 1.08.19
Early in the morning of November 8 in Paradise, California, Mark Mesku
got a call from his daughter. "She said, 'Dad, you got to get out. The
whole town's on fire.'" Mesku looked outside, saw the sky filled with
smoke, and shouted for his wife. After grabbing a few belongings, they
got in their cars. "Three hours of pure darkness is what it took us to
get out from our home," he says. "The sky was pure black, except for the
trees and cars that were burning up and exploding right next to us."
When they got to the main road–the only route out of Paradise–the other
cars wouldn't let them merge into traffic. Mesku had to force his truck
onto the road, and let his wife merge in front. They later learned that
cars behind them on the side road had burned.

They survived, and during the exodus Mesku even managed to rescue a
woman whose car caught on fire. But their house was destroyed, and their
neighbors were killed in the fire. Emotionally, Mesku says, he and his
wife can't go back to Paradise, where they had lived for 15 years. "I
look at it as a graveyard," he says. It also isn't practical to go back
now. The toxic aftermath of the fire will take time to clean up. The
town's infrastructure is gone, and with roughly 14,000 homes destroyed,
so is the tax base. Mesku's business, a dental lab, was destroyed, and
the dentists that he worked with no longer have patients. Even the trees
in his yard–40 massive Ponderosa pines–present an insurmountable
obstacle, because taking down each damaged tree would cost $2,000
apiece, totaling more than the value of the land. Mesku and his wife had
to move. In late December, they found a home in Rio Rancho, New Mexico.

The fire that destroyed Paradise was the most destructive in California
history. But it's an example of the kind of event that is becoming more
likely as climate change intensifies disasters. And the Mesku family's
move is an example of the kind of forced relocation that will also
become more common in the wake of hurricanes, wildfires, or
slower-moving disasters like sea level rise...
- - -
The risk is not the same everywhere. In the U.S., "Florida will have, by
far, the most climate refugees," says Orrin Pilkey, a professor emeritus
at Duke University and author of an upcoming book about the consequences
of sea level rise in America. In Miami Beach, where parts of the city
already regularly flood when tides are high, nearly 60% of the city
could face chronic flooding by 2060, according to a recent study from
the Union of Concerned Scientists, if emissions continue at the current
rate. By 2100, more than 90% of the city could be in the "chronic
inundation" zone, or underwater at least 26 times a year...
-- - -
For those who can leave, no destination is immune from the effects of
climate change. Some parts of the U.S. will be hardest hit economically,
particularly the Southeast, but the whole country is beginning to see
negative impacts. In the Albuquerque area, where the Mesku family moved,
the risk of severe drought is increasing. In the Pacific Northwest, a
region that is often cited as one of the places that will be less
impacted by global warming, wildfires are incurring record costs and
smoke is starting to impact local economies. In Seattle, where most
people don't have air conditioning, there was a record-breaking heat
wave in 2017 and again in 2018. In Madison, Wisconsin, record rainfall,
a problem that is also linked to climate change, caused widespread
flooding in August 2018. In Maine, as the ocean warms and acidifies,
fisheries and the lobster industry could collapse. In Canada, a heat
wave in Quebec in July 2018 was linked to more than 90 deaths. San
Francisco hit a record 106 degrees in September and then in November
went through 13 days of dangerous air quality as smoke from the Camp
Fire blew into the area. As many as 13,000 properties in the Bay Area
are at risk of chronic flooding by 2045...
https://www.fastcompany.com/90288934/how-soon-will-climate-change-force-you-to-move

- - -

[quest for safety]
*CLIMATE CHANGE REFUGEES SHARE STORIES OF ESCAPING WILDFIRES, FLOODS,
AND DROUGHTS*
Alleen Brown
December 29 2018
TENS OF THOUSANDS of U.S. residents were displaced by climate
change-fueled disasters in 2018. California saw a string of massive
wildfires -- from the Mendocino Complex in July, which became the
state's largest wildfire on record, to the Camp fire in November, which
was the deadliest. Meanwhile, Hurricane Florence, the second rainiest
storm in 70 years of U.S. record-keeping, was quickly forgotten as
Hurricane Michael slammed into the Gulf Coast, the third strongest ever
to make landfall in the U.S.

The survivors of the disasters have resorted to camping in tents in
retail parking lots, sleeping on friends' couches, parking trailers on
the lawns of their destroyed homes, or renting overpriced apartments in
communities where housing has become increasingly scarce. Safety nets
like flood and fire insurance or the Federal Emergency Management Agency
routinely fall far short of providing the support needed to keep
survivors housed, fed, and on their feet. A climate refugee's pathway to
recovery is determined by their savings, family wealth, community
connections, and credit scores.

While storms and wildfires reduced thousands of homes to ash and rubble,
or left them covered in mold, slower-moving disasters, like sea-level
rise on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, and erosion driven by melting
permafrost in Alaska, are giving scores of communities expiration dates.

But the climate refugees left most vulnerable live outside the U.S. The
yearslong drought in Central America's Dry Corridor, for example, is
quietly driving subsistence farmers and agricultural workers toward the
increasingly militarized U.S.-Mexico border. And although the U.S. is
responsible for more climate-warming carbon dioxide emissions than any
other country in the world, its asylum system does not account for those
escaping drought. Indeed, in a world where climate change is already
fueling massive movements of people, hardly any nations officially
recognize the existence of the climate refugee...
- - -
According to climate scientist Daniel Swain, the summer of 2018 was
hotter than usual in that part of California, and autumn's fire
season-ending rains came late. Communities like Paradise, located on the
edge of forested land, are particularly vulnerable to wildfires fueled
by climate change...
https://theintercept.com/2018/12/29/climate-change-refugees/

[rename Rover to Bugsy]
*Climate change: Will insect-eating dogs help?*
By Roger Harrabin
Have no fear - you can now fatten Fido on black soldier flies instead of
Brazilian beef.
A pet food manufacturer now claims that 40% of its new product is made
from soldier flies.
It's one of many firms hoping to cash in on the backlash against beef by
people concerned that the cattle are fed on soya.
These soya plantations are responsible for the release of greenhouse
gases in significant quantities.

Is it good for the dog?
The key question is whether a diet of 40% soldier flies meets the
nutritional needs of your beloved canine.

We put the question to a pet diet expert at the Royal Veterinary
College, Aarti Kathrani. Her conclusion was a cautious "yes".

"Insects can be a very useful source of protein," she told us. "More
studies are needed to show how much of these nutrients can actually be
absorbed by a dog's body - but some studies suggest that insects can
provide nutrients for dogs."

Does it help the climate if dogs eat flies?
At first sight it seems obvious that feeding your dog meaty food is bad
for the environment. The link between humans eating meat and the allied
emissions of CO2 and methane is well established - and pets are
estimated to eat 20% of global meat.
It's also true that flies produce protein much more efficiently than
cows - using a small percentage of the water and land.
But actually the analysis is more subtle than that - because as
societies become more wealthy, people often turn to muscle meat and
reject the animal's offal.
The flies are brought to maturity in about 14 days
That offal is just as nutritious - and it gets made into pet food. That
means that dog food is just as sustainable - or unsustainable - as
humans eating meat.

In fact, if dogs were weaned off meat and on to insects, the industry
would have to find another purpose for the offal. More sausage, perhaps?
Or more humans eating insect protein. Or more going vegan?

Could cat food be made out of insects, too?
Dogs are omnivores - they eat more or less anything. Cats are much more
choosy, because they can't make an essential amino acid, taurine. They
find it instead in meat and fish.

But Dr Kathrani says studies show that insects do contain taurine, so
it's possible that insects could also form a useful part of the moggie diet.

The new product is from Yora, a UK start-up. The insect grubs are fed on
food waste in the Netherlands.

There are several competitors which also produce pet food incorporating
fly protein. They include Insectdog, Entomapetfood, Chippin and
Wilderharrier.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46811358

*This Day in Climate History - January 11, 2017 - from D.R. Tucker*
January 11, 2017:
In a Washington Post op-ed, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse says the only
obstacles to bipartisan action on climate in Congress is a) the
fossil-fuel industry's intimidation of Republicans and b) the refusal of
companies that profess support for climate action to push back against
the fossil-fuel industry.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/republicans-want-to-fight-climate-change-but-fossil-fuel-bullies-wont-let-them/2017/01/10/177dbd4e-cc82-11e6-b8a2-8c2a61b0436f_story.html