[TheClimate.Vote] January 10, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Jan 10 12:23:55 EST 2019

/January 10, 2019/

[liability news]
*Massive Wildfire Costs Could Sink California's Largest Utility*
By Dana Drugmand - January 9, 2019
Facing billions of dollars in damage costs and numerous lawsuits for its
role in sparking devastating wildfires in northern California, the
state's largest utility is now exploring options to avoid financial
ruin, including a possible bankruptcy filing. But while Pacific Gas &
Electric Co. reckons with potentially crippling liability because its
electrical equipment likely started several blazes, the question of who
will ultimately pay for losses--particularly those from the recent Camp
Fire, the deadliest and most destructive fire in California
history--remains unanswered.

The Camp Fire was the world's costliest natural disaster of 2018, with
overall losses estimated at $16.5 billion, according to new figures
released by Munich Re, the world's largest reinsurance company. The
cause of the fire remains under investigation.

California's utility customers may be on the hook for much of those
costs if state lawmakers or the California Public Utilities Commission
(PUC) allows the company to recover its losses with rate increases. Last
year, the state legislature passed a bill that permitted investor-owned
utilities to pass on wildfire-related costs to consumers. The bill
pertained to the 2017 wildfires and subsequent fires beginning in 2019,
but it did not address fires occurring in 2018.

PG&E requested a 12 percent rate increase in December, a total of $1.1
billion. The company is asking for $9.6 billion in 2020 compared to $8.5
billion approved for 2019.

That rate increase, if approved, would increase the typical customer's
bill by 6.4 percent, but it would not cover liability claims. PG&E could
face $30 billion in potential liability from the 2017 and 2018
wildfires. That figure doesn't include fines, penalties or punitive damages.

Nearly two dozen lawsuits by Camp Fire victims have been filed against
PG&E. Insurance companies are also suing the utility, and the state's
attorney general indicated in a recent court filing that the company may
be charged criminally, including for murder. PG&E's potential legal
liability is heightened by the doctrine of inverse condemnation, which
says a party can he held liable for property damage even if it was not
negligent. Under California law, the doctrine applies to public utilities.

PG&E has argued that it should not be held strictly liable for these
fires because climate change is increasingly exacerbating fire risk.
Although utility equipment may spark fires, extremely warm and dry
conditions play a role in amplifying the destruction. This raises
further questions around wildfire liability costs and who should foot
the bill...
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2019/01/09/wildfire-costs-california-utilities/

[going forward anyway]
*A Major Climate Treaty to Reduce Air Conditioning Emissions Just Went
Into Force--Without the U.S.*
Brian Kahn
While the world was still hungover from the major climate conference in
Poland last month, a game-changing climate treaty quietly went into
effect. The Kigali Amendment entered into force as the calendar turned
to 2019 and with it, the world began to put the clamps down on some of
the most potent greenhouse gases on Earth. Now if only the U.S. would
sign on.

It's taken years for the amendment to take shape and ratify, and it all
stems from a big whoopsie in the 1980s. Then, scientists realized that
chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)--chemicals commonly found in air
conditioners, refrigerators, and other cooling technologies--were
screwing up Earth's ozone layer. The world's governments acted quickly
to phase them out, passing the Montreal Protocol, an international
treaty that's considered to be among the most successful environmental
treaties ever agreed to.

There was just one problem: The chemicals that replaced CFCs were
insanely potent greenhouse gases. Pound for pound, hydrofluorocarbons
(HFCs) warm the planet up to 11,700 times more than carbon dioxide. And
ironically, as the planet heats up, the need for air conditioning will
increase, resulting in more emissions tied to HFCs. To stave that off,
countries proposed amending the Montreal Protocol to phase these
chemicals out too. Doing so could cut global warming up to 0.4°C by 2100.

In 2016, the world agreed to the Kigali Amendment and since then,
countries have been signing on. The amendment went into force last week
with 65 countries ratifying it. Those ranks include industrial heavy
hitters like European Union, Japan, Canada, and Australia as well as a
host of developing nations, and the United Nations said it expects more
to join the coming weeks. Notably absent are China and the U.S., the two
biggest manufacturers and users of HFCs. China is expected to sign on.

The U.S. remains a wildcard, though, largely due to the White House and
its seeming inability to get its act together. The Kigali is a rare
environmental agreement that basically everyone else agrees is necessary...
https://earther.gizmodo.com/a-major-climate-treaty-to-reduce-air-conditioning-emiss-1831545369

[clips from Interview w Diva of Climate Communications]
*Katharine Hayhoe: 'A thermometer is not liberal or conservative'*
Jonathan Wattts
The award-winning atmospheric scientist on the urgency of the climate
crisis and why people are her biggest hope
Katharine Hayhoe:*'Fear is a short-term spur to action, but to make
changes over the long term, we must have hope.' *

Katharine Hayhoe is an atmospheric scientist and director of the Climate
Science Center at Texas Tech University. She has contributed to more
than 125 scientific papers and won numerous prizes for her science
communication work. In 2018 she was a contributor to the US National
Climate Assessment and was awarded the Stephen H Schneider award for
outstanding climate science communication.
*In 2018, we have seen forest fires in the Arctic circle; record high
temperatures in parts of Australia, Africa and the US; floods in India;
and devastating droughts in South Africa and Argentina. Is this a
turning point? *
This year has hit home how climate change loads the dice against us by
taking naturally occurring weather events and amplifying them. We now
have attribution studies that show how much more likely or stronger
extreme weather events have become as a result of human emissions. For
example, wildfires in the western US now burn nearly twice the area they
would without climate change, and almost 40% more rain fell during
Hurricane Harvey than would have otherwise. So we are really feeling the
impacts and know how much humanity is responsible...
- - -
*What are the most positive developments you have seen in the past year
in the climate field? *

I'm asked what gives me hope on a daily basis, and my answer is, I don't
find hope in my science, I find it in people. Over the last few years,
the number of people who want to talk about and do something about
climate has increased exponentially. Then, there is the unexpected
leadership of organisations such as Young Evangelicals for Climate
Action, RepublicEN, the Iron and Earth group – young professionals in
the oil and construction industries who want to be part of the move from
fossil fuels; and the take-up of renewables even in conservative states
like Texas, which now gets 20% of its energy from wind and solar power.

Finally, there's the encouraging news such as solar being the
fastest-growing power source around the world, clean energy jobs growing
from India to the US, and new technology being developed every year that
drops the price and increases the accessibility of fossil fuel alternatives.

*This year has also seen the rise of disruptive campaigning, for example
Extinction Rebellion in the UK; the student strikes led by Greta
Thunberg; and direct action in the US and Canada against oil pipelines.
Is there a point when scientists also have to speak out more forcefully?*

We are moving in that direction. Scientists are not just disembodied
brains floating in a glass jar, we are humans who want the same thing
every other human wants, a safe place to live on this planet we call
home. So while our work must continue to be unbiased and objective,
increasingly we are raising our voices, adding to the clear message that
climate change is real and humans are responsible, the impacts are
serious and we must act now, if we want to avoid the worst of them.

*What are the key political moments in 2019 for climate policy in the US
and the world? *
International talks are important but we should be looking at
subnational actors because there is a lot going on at the city and
corporate level. Across the US a hundred cities have committed to going
100% clean energy. Companies like Apple have already achieved that goal.
In the US there's a new climate bill with bipartisan sponsors, which is
essential for legislation to succeed long-term.

*Are we likely to get any respite from climate change? *
(Sighs.) Climate change is a long-term trend superimposed over natural
variability. There'll be good and bad years, just like there are for a
patient with a long-term illness, but it isn't going away. To stabilise
climate change, we have to eliminate our carbon emissions. And we're
still a long way away from that.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jan/06/katharine-hayhoe-interview-climate-change-scientist-crisis-hope

[BBC opinions philosophical]
Deep Civilisation  Prediction  Philosophy
*The perils of short-termism: Civilisation's greatest threat*
Our inability to look beyond the latest news cycle could be one of the
most dangerous traits of our generation, says Richard Fisher.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190109-the-perils-of-short-termism-civilisations-greatest-threat

[some calculations say more]
*Global warming of oceans equivalent to an atomic bomb per second*
Seas absorb 90% of climate change's energy as new research reveals vast
heating over past 150 years

Global warming has heated the oceans by the equivalent of one atomic
bomb explosion per second for the past 150 years, according to analysis
of new research.

More than 90% of the heat trapped by humanity's greenhouse gas emissions
has been absorbed by the seas, with just a few per cent heating the air,
land and ice caps respectively. The vast amount of energy being added to
the oceans drives sea-level rise and enables hurricanes and typhoons to
become more intense.

Much of the heat has been stored in the ocean depths but measurements
here only began in recent decades and existing estimates of the total
heat the oceans have absorbed stretch back only to about 1950. The new
work extends that back to 1871. Scientists have said that understanding
past changes in ocean heat was critical for predicting the future impact
of climate change.

A Guardian calculation found the average heating across that 150-year
period was equivalent to about 1.5 Hiroshima-size atomic bombs per
second. But the heating has accelerated over that time as carbon
emissions have risen, and was now the equivalent of between three and
six atomic bombs per second.

"I try not to make this type of calculation, simply because I find it
worrisome," said Prof Laure Zanna, at the University of Oxford, who led
the new research. "We usually try to compare the heating to [human]
energy use, to make it less scary."

She added: "But obviously, we are putting a lot of excess energy into
the climate system and a lot of that ends up in the ocean,. There is no
doubt." The total heat taken up by the oceans over the past 150 years
was about 1,000 times the annual energy use of the entire global population.

The research has been published in the journal Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences and combined measurements of the surface
temperature of the ocean since 1871 with computer models of ocean
circulation.

Prof Samar Khatiwala, also at the University of Oxford and part of the
team, said: "Our approach is akin to 'painting' different bits of the
ocean surface with dyes of different colours and monitoring how they
spread into the interior over time. If we know what the sea surface
temperature anomaly was in 1871 in the North Atlantic Ocean we can
figure out how much it contributes to the warming in, say, the deep
Indian Ocean in 2018."

Rising sea level has been among the most dangerous long-term impacts of
climate change, threatening billions of people living in coastal cities,
and estimating future rises is vital in preparing defences. Some of the
rise comes from the melting of land-bound ice in Greenland and
elsewhere, but another major factor has been the physical expansion of
water as it gets warmer.

However, the seas do not warm uniformly as ocean currents transport heat
around the world. Reconstructing the amount of heat absorbed by the
oceans over the past 150 years is important as it provides a baseline.
In the Atlantic, for example, the team found that half the rise seen
since 1971 at low and middle latitudes resulted from heat transported
into the region by currents.

The new work would help researchers make better predictions of sea-level
rise for different regions in the future. "Future changes in ocean
transport could have severe consequences for regional sea-level rise and
the risk of coastal flooding," the researchers said. "Understanding
ocean heat change and the role of circulation in shaping the patterns of
warming remain key to predicting global and regional climate change and
sea-level rise."

Dana Nuccitelli, an environmental scientist who was not involved in the
new research, said: "The ocean heating rate has increased as global
warming has accelerated, and the value is somewhere between roughly
three to six Hiroshima bombs per second in recent decades, depending on
which dataset and which timeframe is used. This new study estimates the
ocean heating rate at about three Hiroshima bombs per second for the
period of 1990 to 2015, which is on the low end of other estimates."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/07/global-warming-of-oceans-equivalent-to-an-atomic-bomb-per-second

[up again]
*U.S. Carbon Dioxide Emissions Are Once Again On The Rise*
January 8, 2019
Heard on All Things Considered
Carbon dioxide emissions in the U.S. are on the rise again after several
years of decline, and a booming economy is the cause.

That's according to a report out today from the Rhodium Group, an
independent research firm that tracks CO2 emissions in the U.S.

"It appears based on preliminary data that emissions in the U.S. grew by
the highest rate since 2010 when we were recovering from the great
recession," says Trevor Houser, a partner at Rhodium and an author on
the new estimate.

Emissions rose roughly 3.4 percent in 2018, he says.

The big drivers were increased electricity demand and growth in trucking
and aviation.

The report underscores an unusual upside to an economic downturn: When
the economy shrinks, greenhouse gas emissions also go down. That's what
happened in the throes of the financial crisis in 2008 -- carbon dioxide
emissions plummeted. They've been bouncing up and down since then. But
last year, the strong economic growth meant a rise. A cold winter was
also a factor, particularly because it led to higher consumption of
natural gas and fuel oil in homes for heat.
There were some areas where decisions by government and industry helped
to reduce some types of emissions. A record number of coal-fired power
plants closed last year. And emissions from passenger automobiles
dropped slightly, due to better fuel-economy standards. But it wasn't
enough, and Houser wants more aggressive policies to drive drown CO2.
That seems unlikely for now. Policies to limit greenhouse gas emissions
started under the Obama administration are now being halted and even
reversed under President Trump.

"What we've seen is backsliding in federal policy, and we're starting to
feel the effects of that now," Houser says.

The report means the U.S. is less likely to meet its reduction targets
under the global Paris climate agreement, according to Andrew Light, a
senior fellow at the World Resources Institute. When the U.S. signed on
to the agreement in 2015, then-President Obama promised a 26-28 percent
reduction from 2005 levels by 2025.

There's still time to catch up, Light says. "If we do get back on track
in the United States toward having an energy policy that's consistent
with the threat of climate change then we can turn these things around,"
he says.

Stock markets have faltered in recent months, indicating the U.S. might
be headed toward another recession. That could cause emissions to drop,
but Houser says it would not be productive.

"A short-term emissions decline as a result of a recession is not
something anyone's cheering for," he says. "We do the best on this issue
when the economy is thriving, and there are policies in place that can
channel investment into clean energy technologies."
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/08/683258294/u-s-carbon-dioxide-emissions-are-once-again-on-the-rise

[heat rises, ice melts]
*When the ice melts: the catastrophe of vanishing glaciers*
As global temperatures rise, shrivelling glaciers and thawing permafrost
threaten yet more climate disruption. How should we confront what is
happening to our world?
By Dahr Jamail
My teammates pull me up to the lip of the crevasse. I repeatedly plunge
the pick of my ice axe into the snow and haul myself out, never before
as grateful for being on top of a glacier. I stand and gaze up at a
mountain to the west, behind which the sun has just set. Snow plumes
stream off one of its ridges, turned into red ribbons by the setting
sun. Snowflakes flicker as they float into space.

As relief floods my shivering body, I roar in gratitude. Utterly
overwhelmed by being alive and surrounded by the beauty of the mountain
world, I hug each of my three climbing partners. Now that I am safe, it
sinks in just how close to death I've been.

That was 22 April 2003 – Earth Day. In hindsight, I believe the emotion
I felt then stemmed in part from something else – a deeper consciousness
that the ice I had seen was vanishing. Seven years of climbing in Alaska
had provided me with a front-row seat from where I could witness the
dramatic impact of human-caused climate disruption. Each year, we found
that the toe of the glacier had shrivelled further. Each year, for the
annual early season ice-climbing festival on this glacier, we found
ourselves hiking further up the crusty frozen mud left behind by its
rapidly retreating terminus. Each year, the parking lot was moved closer
to the glacier, only to be left farther away as the ice withdrew. Even
sections of Denali – the highest mountain in North America, which stands
more than 20,000 feet tall and is roughly 250 miles from the Arctic
Circle – had already undergone startling changes in 2003: the ice of its
glaciers was disappearing quickly...
- - -
A glacier is essentially suspended energy, suspended force. It is, in a
sense, life frozen in time. But now they are themselves running out of
time. The planet's ecosystems, pushed far beyond their capacity to adapt
to human-generated traumas and stresses, are in a state of freefall.
Just as I watched hundreds of years of time compressed into glacial ice
flash before my eyes in a matter of seconds as I fell into the crevasse,
swathes of the natural world are, in the blink of a geological eye,
falling into oblivion.

Modern life has compressed time and space. You can traverse the globe in
a matter of hours, or gain information in nanoseconds. The price for
this, along with everything we want, on demand, all the time, is a total
disconnection from the planet that sustains our lives...
- -
While western colonialist culture believes in "rights", many indigenous
cultures teach of "obligations" that we are born into: obligations to
those who came before, to those who will come after, and to the Earth
itself. When I orient myself around the question of what my obligations
are, a deeper question immediately arises: from this moment on, knowing
what is happening to the planet, to what do I devote my life?

This is an edited extract from The End of Ice by Dahr Jamail, which will
be published by The New Press on 15 January
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jan/08/when-the-ice-melts-the-catastrophe-of-vanishing-glaciers?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

*This Day in Climate History - January 10, 2017- from D.R. Tucker*
In his final address as President, Barack Obama declares:

    "Take the challenge of climate change.  In just eight years, we've
    halved our dependence on foreign oil, doubled our renewable energy,
    and led the world to an agreement that has the promise to save this
    planet.  But without bolder action, our children won’t have time to
    debate the existence of climate change; they'll be busy dealing with
    its effects: environmental disasters, economic disruptions, and waves
    of climate refugees seeking sanctuary.
    "Now, we can and should argue about the best approach to the problem.
    But to simply deny the problem not only betrays future generations; it
    betrays the essential spirit of innovation and practical
    problem-solving that guided our Founders."

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-obama-farewell-speech-transcript-20170110-story.html
https://youtu.be/siyBp8Csugk