[TheClimate.Vote] January 26, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jan 26 08:08:23 EST 2019

/January 26, 2019/

[ScienceDaily posting]
*Climate change tipping point could be coming sooner than we think*
Vegetation may not be able to continue abating effects of emissions from
human activities
Date: January 23, 2019
Source: Columbia University School of Engineering and Applied Science
known that extreme weather events can affect the year-to-year
variability in carbon uptake, and some researchers have suggested that
there may be longer-term effects, this study is the first to actually
quantify the effects through the 21st century and demonstrates that
wetter-than-normal years do not compensate for losses in carbon uptake
during dryer-than-normal years, caused by events such as droughts or
heatwaves...
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190123131700.htm

[Send this 21 minute video your Texas friends]
*How Climate Change Will Mess With Texas - Hotpocalypse - Excerpt - 1/25/19*
Hotpocalypse
Published on Jan 25, 2019
Texas native and climate scientist Josh Willis tells comedian Andy Cobb
about how climate change will mess with Texas.
Droughts, floods, rising temperatures and sea levels will impact Texas'
economy, wildlife, and cause major property damage.
The good news, is Texas has remarkable potential for wind and solar
projects, and could avoid some of the immediate damage by building a sea
wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfTtCIAQcnA

[attribution is tenuous, and plausible]
*Mount St Helens WARNING: Scientist reveals molten rock 'rising FIVE
metres a DAY'*
MOUNT St Helens could erupt again as scientists closely monitor a lava
dome rising at five metres a day, a bombshell documentary revealed.
By CALLUM HOARE
PUBLISHED: 06:11, Fri, Jan 25, 2019
https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1077163/mount-st-helens-volcano-warning-scientist-molten-rock-rising-spt
- -
*Mount St Helens Warning: Scientist reveals molten rock 'rising Five
meters a Day*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgo2XOBLmJQ
- -
[Keep the bug-out kit on the ready]
*Climate Change Could Set Off Volcanoes*
Olivia Rosane - Apr. 12, 2018
We can add volcanic eruptions to the list of potential climate change
hazards.
In a presentation at the European Geosciences Union General Assembly
held from April 8 to 13, University of Clermont Auvergne Ph.D. student
Gioachino Roberti explained research indicating that melting glaciers
could trigger eruptions, the Independent reported Wednesday.
- - -
"Volcanoes are a pressurised system and if you remove pressure by ice
melting and landslide, you have a problem," Roberti told the Independent.
Roberti's presentation focused on a case study of Mount Meager in
British Columbia, Canada. The volcano saw the largest landslide in
Canadian history on its south side in 2010. By 2016, volcanic gases
formed ice caves in the glacier, the first time that had ever happened
on the mountain.

The researchers used mathematical models to conclude that another
landslide could impact the magmatic plumbing of the mountain enough to
trigger an eruption.

Roberti told the Independent that this is most likely an impact of
climate change.
"We see a correlation between high temperature, ice melting and
landslides," Roberti said.
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-volcanoes-2559369589.html
- - -
[Opinion from Richard Brenne in 2015]
*Mount St. Helens and climate change* (OPINION)
Posted May 17, 2015
- As a student of both Mount St. Helens and climate change, which I've
been writing about since 1988, I've noticed some similarities between
the two.  When Mount St. Helens erupted in 1980, every scientific paper
that had ever been written about climate change to that point could have
fit on innkeeper Harry Truman's desk in his Spirit Lake Lodge, although
they'd be moistened by his many rum and Coke glasses.  Now the mass of
every peer-reviewed, scientific paper written about climate change could
equal much of the lava dome that is reconstructing Mount St. Helens.

In both cases, scientists were or are simply trying to warn us of very
real dangers.   We ignore them at our peril...
- - -
Physicist and glaciologist Toby Dittrich and I had a NASA grant to teach
climate change on-line at the university level.  We recorded each of the
classes featuring many of the world's top climate scientists in a TV
studio.  Dittrich also has a strong engineering background and owns many
patents, so he was more solution-oriented while I was trying to
communicate the actual magnitude of the problem, something that is
rarely done.

So during one episode Dittrich kind of ambushed me with a quote from
President Harry Truman, where the leader famous for having a small sign
that read "The buck stops here" on his desk had said "A pessimist is one
who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who
makes opportunities of his difficulties."  Then Dittrich turned to me
with a smile and said, "So which are you, Richard?"

I answered that, "There was another Harry Truman at Spirit Lake Lodge
who said 'The mud stops here,' but it didn't.  I think it's most
important to be a realist."
https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/05/mount_st_helens_and_climate_ch.html

[Real anxiety, search for peace]
*The Unprecedented Surge in Fear About Climate Change*
More Americans than ever are worried about climate change, but they're
not willing to pay much to stop it.
A surging number of Americans understand that climate change is
happening and believe that it could harm their family and the country,
according to a new poll from Yale and George Mason University.

But at the same time, Americans are not any more willing to pay money to
fight climate change than they were three years ago, says another new
poll, conducted by the Associated Press and the University of Chicago.
- - -
These changes show up in both new polls. The AP survey found that seven
out of 10 of Americans understand climate change is happening. Even more
notable: A slim majority of Republicans--52 percent--understand that
climate change is real. (The AP asked questions about "climate change,"
while Yale polled about "global warming." The difference in language
didn't seem to change how people replied.)
- - -
Now the country's president has vacillated on the reality of climate
change, calling it an "expensive hoax," then revising his view. Climate
change "is one of the most politically polarized issues in Americans,"
Leiserowitz said. "So the fact that Trump is now a hoaxer in chief and
yet these numbers are going up is actually really interesting."
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/01/do-most-americans-believe-climate-change-polls-say-yes/580957/

[weather dot com]
*Climate Change May Be Creating a Groundwater 'Time Bomb,' Scientists Say*
Scientists say it takes much longer for groundwater systems to respond
to climate change.
Some systems could take up to 100 years to show impacts from global
warming occurring now.

Climate change may be creating a groundwater "time bomb" as the world's
underground water systems catch up to the impacts of global warming.

Researchers for a study published Monday in the journal Nature Climate
Change say more than half of the world's groundwater systems -- the
largest source of usable freshwater in the world -- could take more than
100 years to completely respond to current environmental changes from
global warming.

Groundwater is replenished primarily by rainfall through a process known
as recharge. Concurrently, water exits or discharges from groundwater
sources into lakes, streams and oceans to maintain an overall balance...
- -
With more than 2 billion people relying on groundwater as a source of
drinking and irrigation water, a delay in reaction to the systems could
become very problematic, especially in locations where people rely
almost entirely on groundwater for personal, industrial and agricultural
needs.

"It is essential that the potential for these initially hidden impacts
is recognized when developing water management policies, or climate
change adaptation strategies for future generations,"...
https://weather.com/science/environment/news/2019-01-23-ground-water-time-bomb-climate-change-global-warming

[video where will you be in the future]
*Where to live in America, 2100 A.D.*
Popular Science
Published on Mar 10, 2017
Season after season, extreme weather bombards the continental United
States. Over the next 83 years, its cascading effects will force U.S.
residents inward, upward, and away from newly uninhabitable areas. But
don't worry: We've mapped out how these factors will alter the country's
landscape in 2100.
Check out an interactive version of this map here: http://pops.ci/BaDiiB
https://youtu.be/QAJm13t6IH8

[follow the money]
*Companies leading on climate change also outperform on stock market,
research shows*
Caitlin Morrison, The Independent
Companies that perform well on a range of climate change measures also
outperform on the stock market, finds new research by CDP, formerly
known as Carbon Disclosure Project, which is picked up in the
Independent. CDP ranked around 6,800 companies on measures they have
taken across three categories: climate change, water security and
forests. Microsoft and Danone were among the top-scoring firms for
climate change. Dexter Galvin, global director at CDP, says that the
research "demonstrates that the leadership on environmental issues…goes
hand in hand with being a successful and profitable business"...
- - -
Meanwhile, researchers found that the STOXX Global Climate Change
Leaders Index - which is based on the CDP A List - outperformed the
STOXX Global 1800, by 5.4 per cent per year from December 2011 to July 2018.

This "demonstrates that the leadership on environmental issues shown by
the A List goes hand in hand with being a successful and profitable
business", according to Dexter Galvin, global director at CDP.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/climate-change-companies-stock-market-share-price-davos-wef-summit-research-a8740811.html

[Down Under high heat - 42C = 107F]
*Mass death of feral horses discovered in scorching, dry Central
Australian waterhole*
By Matt Garrick
A mass feral horse death at the base of a dry waterhole in Central
Australia has been blamed on an extreme heatwave in the region.
Around two dozen brumbies in various stages of decomposition have been
discovered strewn along a 100-metre stretch of a swimming spot called
Deep Hole, 20 kilometres from the remote community of Santa Teresa.
The region has hit a record 12-day run of temperatures above 42 degrees
Celsius, and it is poised to hit 13 days in Alice Springs on Wednesday.
- -
In Alice Springs, around 80km from Santa Teresa, the town's airport on
Tuesday eclipsed the longest stretch of days above 42C since the weather
station opened in 1940...
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-23/mass-brumby-death-discovered-in-remote-central-australia/10739178?pfmredir=sm
- -
*Animals dying of thirst in central Australia may be culled as 2,500
camels shot in WA*
Central Land Council could carry out emergency cull of 120 horses, goats
and donkeys that are dying in heatwave
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/24/animals-dying-of-thirst-in-central-australia-may-be-culled-as-2500-camels-shot-in-wa
- - -
[Weather channel -Camels die of thirst]]
*Australia's Heatwave Responsible for Deaths of Horses, Camels*
- - -
Ranchers in the Goldfields region of Western Australia say thousands of
camels are flocking from the Gibson Desert in search of water, ABC reported.
"There have been three very good years in the desert and the camels have
been breeding up. At least one-third of the camels we're seeing are
young camels and they're in shocking condition," Tim Carmody told ABC.
"We've seen them on the lake where they've walked onto the lake trying
to find water and a group of 36 all got bogged in one spot and we've had
to euthanize them."
Carmody said about 1,200 camels have been shot on his property since the
day after Christmas. Ranchers say another 1,300 camels have been culled
on other properties in the past month.
Rancher Les Smith and his neighbors want the state government to conduct
an urgent cull.
"They're multiplying every year, they're multiplying in the thousands,
millions," Smith told ABC. "The other day there were 200 camels at one
windmill. I only took a couple of packets of bullets out with me because
I was fixing a windmill, and when I saw that mob I shot 31."..
https://weather.com/news/news/2019-01-24-australia-extreme-heat-kills-horses-camels-0

*This Day in Climate History - January 26, 2015 - from D.R. Tucker*
January 26, 2015 - The New York Times reports:

    "Alaska is not a sinking ship, but no one needed an explanation of
    the gallows-humor remark, as a record-setting sea of red ink has
    flooded the state budget amid a global collapse of energy prices.
    Taxes paid by oilcompanies account for 90 percent of the state’s
    operating budget, and those revenues have sunk with stomach-churning
    suddenness and depth, echoing other oil-patch states, like Texas,
    but with uniquely Alaskan scale and implications.

    "The result, historians and economists say, is beyond the experience
    of this state, or probably any other in modern times: more than half
    of the tax base — predicated on crude oil selling at around $110 a
    barrel — is simply gone in the whirlwind of $50 oil, as though it
    never existed. A spending plan of $6.1 billion for 2015, passed by
    the Legislature last year, will fall $3.5 billion short, or more, if
    oil prices keep falling. Alaska collects no state sales or income
    taxes to pick up the slack; a savings fund from past oil earnings
    will help, but it cannot fully fill the gap either."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/us/as-oil-falls-alaskas-new-chief-faces-a-novel-goal-frugality.html