[TheClimate.Vote] July 7, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Jul 7 10:00:15 EDT 2019

/July 7, 2019/

[An excellent summary - of all video lectures, this is a fundamental
must see]
*The Anthropocene: Where on Earth are We Going?*
UCARConnect - Published on Jul 1, 2019
Watch the inaugural talk of the Paul Crutzen Lecture Series. This
lecture series honors the Nobel Prize-winning scientist and former
director of NCAR's Atmospheric Chemistry Observation and Modeling
Laboratory. Paul Crutzen is known for his work providing evidence of
human impacts on the Earth's climate and environment, and for proposing
a new geologic epoch known as the "Anthropocene."

    We should go back to 1750 because that's when, before the Industrial
    Revolution
    started.. there are 12 graphs.  And in 12 graphs we've decided to
    depict as best
    we can in only 12 graphs -- who we are and what we do.
    so there you see population economy...
    Here's energy urbanization and then we have resource use, fertilizer,
    water, paper, and here we have communication, transportation,
    telecommunications, international tourism, and so on.
    This is all of us aggregated together and look what happens --
    we thought we would see a nice even curve from the Industrial
    Revolution.
    We don't. Actually not much happens until 1950 and
    then everything exploded. Historians have started to call this
    the great acceleration. Completely unique in human history....

In this talk, Dr. Will Steffen, who is a Councillor with the Climate
Council of Australia, discusses how the Anthropocene came to be, and how
we as humans can positively influence the directions that the
Anthropocene could take in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfFP_aJbuT0

[The book]
*The Systems View of Life: A Unifying Vision 1st Edition*
by Fritjof Capra (Author), Pier Luigi Luisi (Author)
Review
"Partly an enjoyable survey of exciting new developments in systems
biology, valuable to any student of biology or science, and partly a
bold blueprint for how we might preserve our future on Earth."
New Scientist

"A magisterial study of the scientific basis for an integrated worldview
grounded in the wholeness that generations of one-eyed reductionists
could not see. The authors succeed brilliantly!"
David W. Orr, Oberlin College

"... gives us a sound synthesis of the best science and theory on the
connectedness of all living things, the dynamics of emergence and
self-organization as conceived by Francisco Varela. This volume offers a
profound framework for understanding our place on the planet, for better
or worse. And if we apply the insights offered by Capra and Luisi, it
will be for the better... should be required reading for today's young,
tomorrow's leaders, and anyone who cares about life on this planet."
Daniel Goleman, author of Emotional Intelligence and Ecological Intelligence

"What is life? What is a human being? How can new discoveries about
nature and ourselves keep us from becoming the first self-endangered
species? Capra and Luisi's dazzling synthesis explains how moving beyond
mechanistic, linear, reductionist habits is revealing startling new
answers to perennial questions of philosophy and practice. Sir Francis
Bacon's goal of 'the enlargement of the bounds of Human Empire, to the
effecting of all things possible' has put humanity in serious trouble.
But today, rebuilding our thinking, language, and actions around Darwin,
not Descartes, and around modern biology, not outmoded physics, creates
rich new options. Driven by the co-evolution of business with civil
society, these can build a fairer, healthier, cooler, safer world. The
Systems View of Life is a lucid, wide-ranging guide to living maturely,
kindly, and durably with each other and with other beings on the only
home we have."
Amory B. Lovins, Rocky Mountain Institute

"... this book feels like a Rosetta stone for me, unlocking connections
and roots of a panoply of different ideas and concepts. It starts
walking us through the history of science - and how scientific models
influenced most aspect of cultures ... This book pulls the big changes
together and integrates them, across disciplines into a glorious big
picture, for each field ... As I was reading the portion of the book
covering the history of systems thinking ... I realized that I was
suddenly feeling very excited, like I was in a movie, sitting on the
edge of my seat ... This is what a great writer and a great book are
supposed to do ... It has had a huge impact on my way of thinking about
so many things. It doesn't matter what your area of work or interest is.
This book is essential reading to face the future with eyes wide open."
Rob Kall, OpEdNews.com

"... a valuable overview of the discipline."
Stephen Lewis, The Biologist

'What a fine, erudite, synoptic, lovely book!' Stuart Kauffman,
University of Pennsylvania and the Institute for Systems Biology, Seattle

Taking a broad sweep through history and across scientific disciplines,
this volume integrates the ideas, models, and theories underlying the
systems view of life into a single coherent framework. Life's
biological, cognitive, social, and ecological dimensions are presented
and its philosophical, spiritual, and political implications discussed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107011361

[pure politics]
July 5, 2019
*Doubling Down: The Military, Big Bankers and Big Oil Are Not In Climate
Denial, They Are in Control and Plan to Keep It That Way.*
by Richard Moser
"Capitalism, militarism and imperialism are disastrously intertwined
with the fossil fuel economy….A globalized economy predicated on growth
at any social or environmental costs, carbon dependent international
trade, the limitless extraction of natural resources, and a view of
citizens as nothing more than consumers cannot be the basis…for tackling
climate change….Little wonder then that the elites have nothing to offer
beyond continued militarisation and trust in techno-fixes."
-- Nick Buxton and Ben Hayes...
- - -
The Republicans know full well that their partners in crime -- oil
companies, bankers and the military brass have known about climate
change for decades. And, the corporate Democrats know that these same
powerful players they too represent already have a risky plan to deal
with climate change. From their shared perspective, even the Democrat's
Green New Deal, despite its weaknesses, must be marginalized since it
competes with the establishment's plans for our future.

*Framing Climate Change*
To maintain power they need to limit our thinking. The two most
important narratives imposed on us are climate change as a "threat to
national security" and as a "business opportunity" -- the twin
rationales for military and corporate power. They want to focus us on
how to manage the crisis, profit from it, or adapt to it, instead of
opposing it....
- -
War will continue, climate crisis be damned. Elizabeth Warren's 2019
policy statement and the bipartisan letter sent to Trump by over 100
congress members urging Trump to make climate change a national security
issue is more proof that war trumps climate. In truth, the military is
caught in a crisis of its own making. As Desiree Hellegers puts it: "The
US Military Poses a Significant Threat to the US Military."

While the pro-war media makes much of the military's attempts to use
alternative energy, the Pentagon failed to reach its puny 2014 goal of
5% renewable...
- - -
What the bankers will not say is that billions of the dollars they trade
in are "petrodollars" -- as explained in this informative documentary
video.  A 40-year back-room deal with the Saudis secretly recycled oil
money back to the US. This deal essentially shifted the US dollar from
the "gold standard" to the "oil standard." According to Bloomberg:

The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from
Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In
return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back
into Treasuries and finance America's spending.

Buying oil in dollars is a form of imperial tribute other countries pay
to the US -- which is why the US insists all oil trading be in US
currency. Iraq and Lybia once traded oil in other currencies. Venezuela,
Syria, Iran, Russia and China still do. See?

Since oil props up the US Dollar, bankers have a direct interest in wars
that prop up the fossil-fuel regime. It is highly unlikely that the US
Dollar, the Military-Industrial-Complex or the global corporate economy
can live without its addiction to oil -- whatever green capitalists
imagine in their wildest dreams. Some contradictions simply cannot be
overcome...
- - -
A massive Harvard study tells us what we already suspect: we have the
most dysfunctional, least democratic electoral system of any so-called
"western democracy." The collapse of real representation is a leading
cause of crisis. To think that such a broken system can repair itself
and then take on massive problems of its own making without an equally
massive and equally disruptive popular movement is more than just
wishful thinking -- it is a profound disregard for history. Show me some
evidence. How was the original New Deal created? The failure to allow
moderate and popular reforms like universal health care does not bode
well for government's ability to act on climate and war -- issues that
strike right at the heart of the existing social order...
- -
But the real question -- the unanswered question -- is HOW? How do we
move on the climate crisis? Can we build it from the bottom up? It sure
isn't coming from the top down. Can the Green New Deal become a
revolutionary reform? Ask people what they think about the Green New
Deal. Where it leads is up to us.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/07/05/doubling-down-the-military-big-bankers-and-big-oil-are-not-in-climate-denial-they-are-in-control-and-plan-to-keep-it-that-way/

[a completely new branch of science ]
*Induced Seismicity *
Induced seismicity refers to typically minor earthquakes and tremors
that are caused by human activity that alters the stresses and strains
on the Earth's crust. Most induced seismicity is of a low magnitude.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_seismicity
- - -
*Global Warming May Trigger Greater Seismic Activity*
The melting of glaciers driven by global warming portends a seismically
turbulent future. When glaciers melt, the massive weight on the Earth's
crust is reduced, and the crust "bounces" back in what scientists call
an "isostatic rebound." This process can reactivate faults, increase
seismic activity, and lift pressure on magma chambers that feed volcanoes.

This has happened several times throughout Earth's history, and the
evidence suggests that it is starting to happen again. Of course, not
every volcanic eruption and earthquake in the years to come will have a
climate-change link.

There are implications for all parts of the world where glaciers and
active faults coincide, including the Alps, Himalayas, Rocky Mountains,
Andes and the Southern Alps in New Zealand. But of particular concern is
the continental shelf around Greenland, where a massive melting of the
ice sheet might trigger earthquakes strong enough to trigger underwater
landslides which in turn could generate tsunamis.

Melting ice and sea-level rise also mean that previously exposed
continental margins become inundated with water. At the end of the last
ice age, the extra load was more than enough to reactivate faults and
trigger earthquakes around the rims of all the major ocean basins, some
of which are thought to have set off giant landslides on the sea floor.

"A particular worry," writes Bill McGuire in New Scientist, is that such
seafloor landslides could "contribute to large-scale releases of methane
gas from the solid gas hydrate deposits that are trapped in marine
sediments. Gas hydrates have been identified around the margins of all
the ocean basins, and outbursts of gas may occur as sea temperatures
climb or as rising sea levels trigger underwater quakes in the vicinity."

Sharon Begley, "How Melting Glaciers Alter Earth's Surface, Spur Quakes,
Volcanoes," Wall Street Journal Online, 9 June 2006.
Link:
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114981650181275742-sOx58NXvfKz2szefZXutgTSbaDI_20070608.html;
and
Bill McGuire, "Climate Change: Tearing the Earth Apart?," New Scientist,
26 May 2006,
Link: http://www.newscientist.com/channel/earth/mg19025531.300
http://www.worldwatch.org/node/4388

[Heatwave India describes the problem]
*Climate Change is Devastating India With Heat Waves and Water Shortages*
The Real News Network
Published on Jun 27, 2019
India's climate disasters are fueled by its governments' resource
mismanagement and fossil fuel consumption, says political economist
Shouvik Chakraborty

    Just to add to this point, see, the impact of climate change or the
    impact of pollution
    is more on the poorer people who cannot shield themselves, like you
    were mentioning, from
    the impacts of this heatwave.
    And like a recent study done by the Public Health Foundation in
    India found, that in
    the city Ahmedabad, what actually happened was there was a massive
    heatwave in 2015 in
    which more than 2,000 people died.
    It was found that that year recorded 43% more mortality than the
    previous year.
    These things usually happen because the poorer people cannot shield
    themselves from these
    heatwaves, from this pollution level, and this was also evident in
    the last year when
    there was massive air pollution during Diwali, during this season of
    October and November.
    Delhi--I was there.
    You could see that poorer people, walking--There were no masks
    because the masks were so expensive
    that they were almost breathing this poisonous air every day and, of
    course,
    this would have a long-term health impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qpj4_pRy4o

*This Day in Climate History - July 7, 2014 - from D.R. Tucker*
MSNBC's Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddow examine the dynamics of denial in
the US and overseas.
http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/the-latest-far-right-trend-298914883669#
http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/the-bbc-changes-their-line-on-climate-change-298925123932#
https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2014/07/07/on-msnbcs-all-in-eric-boehlert-says-the-media-s/200007