[TheClimate.Vote] June 9, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Jun 9 08:37:39 EDT 2019

/June 9, 2019/

[NPR]
*'We All Owe Al Gore An Apology': More People See Climate Change In
Record Flooding*
...Joe Hurst, the mayor of Van Buren, Ark., a town of about 24,000
people on the Arkansas River, says there do seem to be indications that
the climate is changing.

"I don't know what causes it," he says. "But all I know is that we're
dealing with a historic flood and now, in my mind, I'm going to be
prepared for this unprecedented event to happen now more often."
more at -
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/08/730456004/more-people-see-climate-change-in-record-floods-and-extreme-weather-will-that-me

[ignorant annotations]
*White House blocked intelligence agency's written testimony saying
climate change could be 'possibly catastrophic'*
Officials sought to excise the State Department's comments on climate
science on the grounds that it did not mesh with the administration's stance
White House officials barred a State Department intelligence agency from
submitting written testimony this week to the House Intelligence
Committee warning that human-caused climate change could be "possibly
catastrophic." The move came after State officials refused to excise the
document's references to federal scientific findings on climate change.

The effort to edit, and ultimately suppress, the prepared testimony by
the State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research comes as the
Trump administration is debating how best to challenge the fact that
burning fossil fuels is warming the planet and could pose serious risks
unless the world makes deep cuts in greenhouse gas emissions over the
next decade. Senior military and intelligence officials have continued
to warn climate change could undermine America's national security -- a
position President Trump rejects...
- - -
The document lays out in stark detail the implications of what the
administration faces in light of rising carbon emissions that the world
has not curbed.

"Absent extensive mitigating factors or events, we see few plausible
future scenarios where significant -- possibly catastrophic -- harm does
not arise from the compounded effects of climate change," the document said.
- - -
In another passage, Happer objected to the phrase "tipping point" when
describing how a certain level of warming could trigger devastating
climate-related impacts, the individual said.

Administration officials said the Office of Legislative Affairs
ultimately decided that Schoonover could appear before the House panel
but could not submit his office's statement for the record because it
did not, in the words of one official, "jibe" with what the
administration is seeking to do on climate change. The official added
that legislative affairs and staffers at the Office of Management and
Budget routinely review agency officials' prepared congressional
testimony before they submit it....
- - -
Francesco Femia, chief executive of the Council on Strategic Risks and
co-founder of the Center for Climate and Security, questioned why the
White House would not have allowed an intelligence official to offer a
written statement that would be entered into the permanent record.

"This is an intentional failure of the White House to perform a core
duty: inform the American public of the threats we face. It's
dangerous and unacceptable," Femia said in an email Friday. "Any
attempt to suppress information on the security risks of climate
change threatens to leave the American public vulnerable and unsafe."

- - -
Despite the internal controversy over the testimony prepared for
Wednesday's hearing, all three witnesses detailed ways in which
climate-related impacts could exacerbate existing national security
risks. Peter Kiemel, counselor at the National Intelligence Council, and
Jeffrey Ringhausen, a senior analyst at the Office of Naval
Intelligence, talked about issues ranging from how terrorist cells could
capitalize on water shortages to disputes with other nations over
shifting fishing grounds.

Schoonover, for his part, said in his opening statement that the planet
was warming and that it could pose a major risk to the United States and
other nations.

"The Earth's climate is unequivocally undergoing a long-term warming
trend, as established by decades of scientific measurements and
multiple, independent lines of evidence," he said, adding later:
"Climate change effects could undermine important international
systems on which the U.S. is critically dependent, such as trade
routes, food and energy supplies, the global economy and domestic
stability abroad."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2019/06/08/white-house-blocked-intelligence-aides-written-testimony-saying-human-caused-climate-change-could-be-possibly-catastrophic/
- - -
[Here's the document marked commentary by Trump administration - Happer]
*The Bureau of Intelligence and Research's 12-page prepared testimony,*
obtained by The Washington Post on Friday, includes a detailed
description of how rising greenhouse gas emissions are raising global
temperatures and acidifying the world's oceans. It warns that these
changes are contributing to the frequency and intensity of extreme
weather events.
https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/1103-rod-schoonover-testimony/9ea6b07179b17035421f/optimized/full.pdf#page=1
- -
[See also ]
*The Center for Climate and Security Stands Firmly in Support of
Intelligence Analysis on Climate Security*
https://climateandsecurity.org/2019/06/08/the-center-for-climate-and-security-stands-firmly-in-support-of-intelligence-analysis-on-climate-security/#more-17517

[Flying is the most polluting way to travel]
*The 'flight shame' issue comes home to Rick Steves*
June 7, 2019
By Danny Westneat - Seattle Times columnist
Rick Steves is in a bit of a conundrum. One that not even a million
bucks is likely to solve.

"In the travel business, we are contributing to the destruction of our
environment," the Europe tour king, from Edmonds, acknowledged last month.

That is an understatement. In terms of carbon emissions that lead to
global warming, there's probably nothing worse we can do on an
individual basis than take an intercontinental flight. A single
round-trip flight between Seattle and, say, Rome, emits about 3.5 tons
of CO2 per person -- the same as nine months of driving in the average
U.S. car, according to the EPA.

The carbon cost of flying is so steep that in Europe it's led to a new
movement that the Swedes call "flygskam." It translates as "flight
shame." The premise is: fly less, or even, don't fly at all.

The idea has taken off enough in Europe that flygskam was the talk of an
airline conference last week. Headline: "Airlines scramble to overcome
polluter stigma as 'flight shame' movement grows."

Sounds like trouble if you're in the travel business.
- - -
Of course there's no sign Americans actually suffer much from flight
shame. Take Seattle. As green as we say we are, emissions from flights
at Sea-Tac have soared 40 percent since 2008, even as total emissions
from all Seattle cars have declined slightly.

I have already taken four cross-country round-trip flights this year,
spewing 5.2 tons of CO2, so I'm not pointing fingers. Prakash said I
could try to relieve my flygskam by buying carbon offsets (it would cost
about $50). But the best thing to do? Fly less in the future, he said.

A big reason climate change is such a tough political sell, he said, is
that "the elites, we tend to have no skin in the game. If we're asking
the coal miners to shut down the mine, but we aren't willing to reduce
our flying even a little bit, then we're hypocrites. People see a real
disconnect."

For a travel company this is an existential issue, so it took courage
for Rick Steves to raise it. But it sure doesn't seem like a million
dollars a year is going to make that disconnect go away.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/the-flight-shame-issue-comes-home-to-rick-steves/

[Book blurb]
*New Book on Transformational Resilience for Climate Change by Bob Doppelt*
Transformational Resilience: How Building Human Resilience to Climate
Disruption Can Safeguard Society and Increase Wellbeing
http://www.theresourceinnovationgroup.org/tr-book/

[learning resilience from the public library restoration]
*Library Preparedness for Hurricane Season*
Source: American Library Association (ALA)