[TheClimate.Vote] June 8, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jun 8 09:49:43 EDT 2019

/June 8, 2019/

[DNC blunder keeps building]
*The Democratic Party Is Trying to Downplay Climate Change. Don't Let It.*
Surely the party can devote one-twelfth of its debate time to the issue
that imperils civilization.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/opinion/democrats-climate-change.html
- - -
[OilChange United States]
*60 Questions We Could Ask at a #ClimateDebate*
http://oilchangeusa.org/60-questions-climate-debate/
- - -
*A #ClimateDebate would matter (Lessons from Texas)*
http://getenergysmartnow.com/2019/06/06/a-climatedebate-would-matter-lessons-from-texas/
   - -
https://twitter.com/PramilaJayapal/status/1136753245097906176
https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1137110616445841408

[NPR report]
*1 Billion Acres At Risk For Catastrophic Wildfires, U.S. Forest Service
Warns*
Written by Kirk Siegler Jun. 05, 2019
The chief of the U.S. Forest Service is warning that a billion acres of
land across America are at risk of catastrophic wildfires like last
fall's deadly Camp Fire that destroyed most of Paradise, Calif.

As we head into summer, with smoke already drifting into the Northwest
from wildfires in Alberta, Canada, Vicki Christiansen said wildfires are
now a year-round phenomenon. She pointed to the hazardous conditions in
forests that result from a history of suppression of wildfires, rampant
home development in high-risk places and the changing climate.

"When you look nationwide there's not any place that we're really at a
fire season. Fire season is not an appropriate term anymore,"
Christiansen said in an interview with NPR at the agency's headquarters
in Washington.

Christiansen's agency is the nation's lead firefighting apparatus. It's
trying to prioritize treatments such as thinning, brush clearing and
prescribed burning on 80 million acres of its own land, mostly in the
West. (Her billion acre estimate includes land across multiple federal,
state and local jurisdictions as well as private land.)

"Our national priority is to improve the condition of our nation's
forests and grasslands," Christiansen said.

In line with a controversial Trump administration executive order
pushing for "active forest management," the agency was directed to treat
3.5 million acres this year alone, though it's behind target because of
weather and administrative holdups. Part of the administration policy
has also included an attempt to ramp up commercial logging on federal
lands, an objective that conservation groups say will not reduce fire
risk, unlike clearing of the smaller diameter wood that the timber
industry has so far found little market for.

Christiansen defends what she calls an all-of-the-above approach.

"We are certainly focused on the timber outputs, but that is only one of
the critical measures," she says. "We are tracking with laser focus our
hazardous fuels reduction and our watershed health and restoration as well."

Christiansen's comments follow one of the worst wildfire seasons in U.S.
history last year. Wildfires in Northern California destroyed parts of
whole cities and killed nearly 100 people.

Even with the push for more mitigation under Christiansen, the Forest
Service is predicting it could spend upward of $2.5 billion just
fighting fires this year alone. The agency was budgeted $1.7 billion and
will likely again have to transfer money from existing forest management
and fire mitigation programs to cover the difference, a paradoxical
problem that won't end until reforms kick in next year.
https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/npr/npr-story/729720938

[National Geographic]
*See the drastic toll climate change is taking on our oceans*
For World Oceans Day, we look at the impact our carbon emissions are
having, from the shore to the deep sea...
- - -
Along with the warm air itself, the heat absorbed by the oceans melts
ice in the polar regions, releasing fresh water that accounts for more
than half of all sea level rise; the rest is attributed to the expansion
of seawater as it warms. "This has obvious effects on coastal area
flooding and real estate," says NOAA oceanographer Andrew Allegra, as
well as implications for marine life.

The oceans don't just soak up excess heat from the atmosphere; they also
absorb excess carbon dioxide, which is changing the chemistry of
seawater, making it more acidic. "Ocean acidification is one simple and
inescapable consequence of rising atmospheric CO2 that is both
predictable and impossible to attribute to any other cause," says
oceanographer John Dore of Montana State University.

"Almost every aspect of marine biology--from bacteria to blue whales--is
in some way influenced by the acid-base balance of seawater itself," he
says. "The effects on other marine life are harder to predict, but it
could take thousands of years or more to undo what we are presently
doing to ocean pH."
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/06/see-the-drastic-toll-climate-change-is-taking-on-our-oceans/

[videos from Paul Beckwith]
*Existential Abrupt Climate Change Risks to Humanity: (video 3 Parts)*
Paul Beckwith - Published on Jun 7, 2019
Humanity is stressing vital life-support systems on Earth to the
breaking point. It is incomprehensible to a thinking person like myself
how the vast majority of the public continues to be blissfully unaware
of the clear and present dangers that we face. For many years I have
been dutifully trying to take the latest cutting edge science on global
Earth system changes, and translate it into easily understandable
layperson language, so more and more of the general public can
understand the reality and truth about the extent of devastation to our
life-support ecosystems on Earth.
Part 1 of 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuI0ZCrtdqA (about 12 mins in)
Part 2 of 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c14gOWMuC9c
Part 3 of 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KSLyQXPeTI

[Hank Green videos]
*Feeling Guilty About Climate Change feat. Hank Green*
Hot Mess - Published on Jun 6, 2019
Do you have complicated feelings about fossil fuels?
Special thanks to Hank Green for sharing his story!
Climate guilt is a common feeling. We've all benefited from fossil
fuels, and most of the stuff we do in life depends on them. But we also
know that we can't continue down this path if we want to live in a
stable world. So how do we overcome this challenge? How do we make a
change? We talked to Hank Green to get his thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsQp2PnhPak

[deception called out]
*Exclusive: Enbridge Is Behind This Front Group Pushing the Company's
Line 3 Oil Pipeline Project*
By Itai Vardi - Thursday, June 6, 2019
Enbridge building
Minnesotans for Line 3, a group established last year to advocate for an
Enbridge oil pipeline project, presents itself as a grassroots
organization consisting of "thousands of members."

But a DeSmog investigation has found that behind the scenes, the
Calgary-based energy giant is pulling the strings. Enbridge has provided
the group with funding, public relations, and a variety of advocacy tactics.

The investigation has also found that a public relations firm behind the
operation recently tried to erase its ties to Enbridge.
Facebook Splurge and Secret Tactics

Minnesotans for Line 3 first appeared in the battle over Enbridge's Line
3 Replacement Project early last year.

Opponents, who this week employed direct action tactics to block initial
work on the project and delivered a petition to Minnesota Governor Tim
Walz, include several Native communities -- among them the White Earth
and Mille Lacs Bands of Ojibwe and the Red Lake Band of Chippewa. Of
their main concerns, these groups cite violation of Indigenous rights,
risks associated with oil spills, and climate change impacts.

Through a series of TV ads and op-eds, along with a social media
campaign and a petition delivered to state authorities, Minnesotans for
Line 3 called for approving Enbridge's multi-billion dollar plan to
replace and reroute its aging pipeline that transports Canadian tar
sands oil through North Dakota and Minnesota to Superior, Wisconsin.
-- -
But Federal Communications Commission (FCC) filings reviewed by DeSmog
reveal that Enbridge is behind the TV ads for the group. The filings,
which require parties placing political issue ads to list their officers
or directors, name, along with Schoneberger, three Enbridge executives,
including its president and CEO Al Monaco.

Another FCC filing shows that Velocity Public Affairs, a Saint
Paul-based public relations firm, placed one of the ads.
- - -
Yet Velocity recently tried to obscure the work it does for Enbridge.

In a now deleted page from its website, which DeSmog discovered as a
cached webpage (and archived here), the firm details its "invaluable"
grassroots work it provided Enbridge on the Line 3 project through a
service it calls "Advocacy Elevator."

"To garner favorable decisions by government agencies that would decide
the fate of the project, Enbridge needed an exceptional and sustained
show of statewide public support," the now-deleted page says. "Enbridge
tapped the Advocacy Elevator's power to develop uniquely comprehensive
sets of data that were the foundation to better define and understand a
universe of people more likely to support the project and to take action."

Afterwards, the description continues, Velocity used a variety of
tactics, including a phone program, direct-mail, digital and content
engagement, and canvassing to create grassroots support. "All of this
was focused on the objective of further identifying the strongest group
of likely supporters and then getting them to 'walk the walk' by taking
actions that would create an impact with specific audiences that would,
in turn, support approval of the line."

The firm's current "Advocacy Elevator" webpage makes no mention of
Enbridge, and instead presents a generic description of the services it
provides clients through that particular product.

Mike Zipko did not respond to a request for comment. Similarly, Enbridge
did not respond to a series of questions about its role with Minnesotans
for Line 3.
- - -
Frank Bibeau, an attorney with Honor the Earth, a Native-led group
opposing the pipeline and one of the appellants against the PUC, thinks
that such front groups are deceptive. "It's big oil and it's what they
do," he said. "They've been engaged in subtle misinformation -- for
example recently claiming in an op-ed that the project will bring oil to
the Twin Cities. The problem is: it won't do that; it goes to Lake
Superior. But people often don't know the details and just think 'this
will benefit Minnesota.' So it's deceptive, a kind of propaganda that
makes it look like ordinary citizens are backing this. It's sad, really."
Not the First Front Group

Minnesotans For Line 3 is not the first front group involved in the
battle over the pipeline replacement project, which was first proposed
in 2014.

In 2017, the Consumer Energy Alliance (CEA), an Enbridge-funded arm of
the lobbying firm HBW Resources, created a campaign titled "Modernizing
America."

CEA ran two TV ads in Minnesota in support of the pipeline.

Modernizing America's webpage then cited a University of Minnesota
Duluth (UMD) study that concluded the project will create 8,600 jobs.
But as the watchdog group Public Accountability Initiative revealed,
Enbridge provided the data inputs for the study and funded the entity
that commissioned it from UMD.
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/06/06/enbridge-minnesotans-line-3-front-group-oil-pipeline

[clean ice water - 10,000 years old]
*Towing an Iceberg: One Captain's Plan to Bring Drinking Water to 4
Million People*
Nicholas Sloane has a fix for a country struggling with its supply.
By Caroline Winter
June 5, 2019
Nicholas Sloane doesn't mind discomfort. The 56-year-old South African
marine-salvage master has survived two helicopter crashes and spent
thousands of hours aboard ships that are burning, sinking, breaking
apart, or leaking oil, chemicals, or cargo into the ocean. Often, he
gets calls in the middle of the night asking him to pack his bags and
fly immediately to a disaster zone across the world, anywhere from Yemen
to Papua New Guinea. Twice, he's fought off armed pirates using water
cannons, sound cannons, and strobe lights.
relates to Towing an Iceberg: One Captain's Plan to Bring Drinking Water
to 4 Million People

Usually, Sloane rooms on location, bunking in makeshift beds aboard
singed or waterlogged ships he's working to rescue. He once lived for
three months with a family on Tristan da Cunha, the world's most remote
inhabited archipelago, orchestrating the logistics of catching and
washing thousands of rockhopper penguins drenched in bunker fuel from a
shipwreck. More recently, he spent 2½ years overseeing the almost $1
billion refloating of the Costa Concordia, the infamous Italian cruise
ship that capsized inside a marine sanctuary off the coast of Tuscany,
killing 32 passengers.

But at some point early last year, Sloane really wanted to take a bath
and couldn't. He was home with his family in Cape Town, which had
recently declared an emergency: After three years of severe drought, the
city of 4 million was at risk of becoming one of the first in the world
to run out of municipal water. To forestall a shutoff, each household
was permitted only 50 liters--about 13 gallons--per day per person to
cover drinking, cooking, washing, and showers. "That's enough to fill
less than half a tub," says Sloane, a soft-spoken man with graying hair,
ruddy skin, and a deep crease between his green eyes. "My wife used to
take a bath every night and a shower every morning. She told me, 'You'd
better do something.' "

More than a year later, disaster has been averted, thanks to badly
needed rainfall and drastic reduction in water use. But conditions in
Cape Town remain far from normal. The daily-use limit has been raised,
but only to 70 liters, and people still take speed showers, collecting
the runoff to use for toilet flushing. Some hotels have removed stoppers
from bathtubs to keep profligate tourists in line. And farmers
throughout the country are reeling. More than 30,000 seasonal jobs have
been lost in the Western Cape, and crop production has declined by about
20%. During the height of the drought, hundreds of farmers in the
Northern Cape killed off most of their livestock rather than truck in
costly feed. "Everyone has cut back their flocks of sheep to the bare
minimum needed to start again when it rains," one farmer told Bloomberg
News in 2017.
Sloane still hasn't taken that bath at home, and he isn't optimistic
about Cape Town's future. "We'll never get back to the days where water
is flowing all over the Cape," he says, pointing out that the city's
population has grown almost 40% in the last 20 years. "If the taps run
dry, the first day people will be standing in lines at watering points
throughout the city. The second day, if you don't get your water, well,
people are killed for that."

That's why Sloane is working on a solution that might sound absurd.
Making use of his unusual skill set, he plans to harness and tow an
enormous Antarctic iceberg to South Africa and convert it into municipal
water. "To make it economically feasible, the iceberg will have to be
big," Sloane says. Ideally, it would measure about 1,000 meters (3,281
feet) long, 500 meters wide, and 250 meters deep, and weigh 125 million
tons. "That would supply about 20% of Cape Town's water needs for a year."

Sloane has already assembled a team of glaciologists, oceanographers,
and engineers. He's also secured a group of financiers to fund the
pioneer tow, which he calls the Southern Ice Project. The expected cost
is more than $200 million, much of it to be put up by two South African
banks and Water Vision AG, a Swiss water technology and infrastructure
company.

Now Sloane's team needs an agreement with South Africa to buy the
Antarctic water, if the plan succeeds. His team could charter the
necessary ships and prepare all required materials within six months,
though the mission will need to take place in November or December, when
the Antarctic climate is somewhat less ferocious. "We're taking on all
the risk," he says. "We're ready to go."

Harvesting icebergs isn't a new idea. In the mid-1800s, breweries in
Chile towed small ones, sometimes outfitted with sails, from Laguna San
Rafael to Valparaiso, where they were used for refrigeration. In the
late 1940s, John Isaacs of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography began
exploring more fantastical plans, such as transporting an 8 billion-ton
iceberg to San Diego to mitigate California droughts. (Icebergs of the
size Isaacs had in mind--20 miles long, 3,000 feet wide, and 1,000 feet
deep--are extremely rare.) In the '60s oil companies began using thick
ropes to wrangle and redirect much smaller Arctic icebergs before they
collided with rigs, a practice that's now common. If conditions are too
rough, or a berg too big, the rigs sometimes need to be moved instead.
In the '70s, the U.S. Army and the Rand Corp. both looked into using
Antarctic ice as a source of fresh water. At about the same time, Prince
Mohammed al-Faisal began pouring funds into polar research, in hopes
that his assembled team of international glaciologists and engineers
would find a way to alter the drift of icebergs, potentially bringing
them as far as Western Australia....

- - -
More urgently, interest is being fueled by the world's increasingly dire
shortages of fresh water. Today, as many as 2.1 billion people worldwide
lack access to safe drinking water, according to the World Health
Organization, and the United Nations says global water demand will
outstrip supply by 40% as soon as 2030. The problem is the result of
poor government oversight, fracking, pollution, and failing
infrastructure. Even in the U.S., leaks and theft account for an
estimated loss of 16% of fresh water, writes David Wallace-Wells in The
Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming. In Brazil and other places, the
loss is as high as 40%.. .
- - -
Meanwhile, more than 100,000 Antarctic icebergs melt into the ocean each
year. They range from merely large to country-size (the biggest seen
recently was the size of Jamaica), and by some calculations they contain
more than the annual global consumption of fresh water. Rather than let
that water slip away, several groups are vying for berg-towing funds and
know-how. The European Union in 2010 received a proposal to pull
icebergs from Newfoundland to the Canary Islands, which have long been
short on fresh water; and the United Arab Emirates plans to test its
prospects of importing icebergs by bringing one from the Antarctic to
Australia or Cape Town by late 2020. In Germany, a company called
Polewater Gmbh says it's spent $2.8 million over the past six years
hiring experts to complete a strategy for getting Antarctic iceberg
water to drought-stricken areas, with an emphasis on minimizing
environmental impact. Having won the blessing of some Greenpeace
officials, Polewater says it needs $67 million to build the company over
the next three years.
But when it comes to towing a 100 million-ton iceberg through the
notoriously rough Antarctic Ocean, where swells regularly reach 15
meters, investors are betting on Sloane. "I was the greatest skeptic
around," says Bert Mulder, chief operating officer of Water Vision,
Sloane's Swiss backer. "Then I started to listen to Nick Sloane. If
anybody can do it, it's him. I truly believe that."

Sloane was born in Northern Rhodesia, now Zambia, and grew up exploring
rivers and lakes. "There was no TV, only basic radio, so the outdoors
was your life," he says. At about 10 he moved with his family to a town
outside Durban, South Africa, where he began sailing and found he loved
ocean racing in stormy weather, particularly because daring counted for
more than tactics alone. After high school, he completed his national
service with the merchant marine, then spent 10 years becoming a master
mariner, running tankers and cargo ships and towing oil rigs. From
there, he stumbled into the high-intensity work of marine salvage, where
successful teams are rewarded with payouts of 7.5% to 10% of the
distressed ship's assessed value, a fee that often reaches millions of
dollars...
- - -

The iceberg is Sloane's side project, and he's enlisted perhaps the
biggest names in the game. The first is Georges Mougin, the French
engineer whom Prince Mohammed tapped as CEO of his company, Iceberg
Towing International. Now 91 years old with bushy eyebrows--but still
sharp and a dapper dresser--Mougin has spent much of the past four
decades exploring the technologies and materials to be used for iceberg
transport. The second is Olav Orheim, trim and energetic at 77, who
served as director of the Norwegian Polar Institute from 1993 to 2005.
Orheim has probably landed atop more icebergs than anyone in the world
and once was stranded overnight on one with David Attenborough, the
English broadcaster and voice of the nature series Planet Earth.

Together with oceanographers and engineers from Norwegian and South
African universities and from government-affiliated institutes such as
the Pretoria-based Council for Scientific and Industrial Research,
Sloane's team began forging a plan and soon attracted press coverage.
"Unfortunately, the first article came out on April 1," Sloane says.
"People still think it's an April Fools' joke."

The team is focused only on Antarctic icebergs, which break off from the
giant sea shelf that extends from the southern continent's landmass.
These are often hundreds of times bigger than Arctic icebergs, and the
biggest are almost always tabular and therefore more stable. By
contrast, Arctic icebergs, most of which descend from Greenland's steep
glaciers, are typically irregular and contain weak spots that make them
liable to split or flip.

Using satellite data, the team will identify an iceberg that's the right
size and shape and on a course for Gough Island, a tiny landmass halfway
between Antarctica and Cape Town--about 1,600 miles from Sloane's final
destination. (There are typically three or four desirable bergs
available on any given day.) Next, they'll inspect the iceberg on
location, using sonar and radar scans to determine its precise
dimensions and check for structural flaws. If everything looks good, the
team will employ two tugboats to encircle the berg in a gigantic net of
5-inch-diameter ropes fashioned from Dyneema, a supermaterial that,
unlike metal cables, is neutrally buoyant and also stronger and better
suited for low temperatures, friction, and tension. Costing about $25
million, the net will extend about 2 miles across and 60 feet high. It
will act as a kind of belt around the belly of the iceberg, which could
reach more than 70 stories below the surface of the ocean.

All this will be done amid high waves and winds reaching 80 mph. "It's
the worst part of the ocean worldwide," Sloane says. "People don't go
there unless they have to." With the net in place, the iceberg will be
attached to two supertankers at a distance of about a mile. The tankers,
which will remain about 1,000 feet from one another, will move at about
1 mph. Because they'll have little ability to steer at such low speeds,
each tanker will be led by tugboat. The operation will need to be
insured by Lloyd's of London in case the iceberg breaks apart en route,
leaving dangerous debris in the path of other ships.

The goal will be to follow the Antarctic Circumpolar Current eastward
and then, at the right moment near Gough Island, deploy full force to
switch over to the Benguela Current, which will bring the iceberg upward
toward South Africa's western coast. "If we hit the wrong current,
that's it," Sloane says. "Then we'll have to call up the Aussies and
say, 'Do you want to buy an iceberg?' "

Traveling "slower than the slowest thing on Earth," as Sloane puts it,
the journey will take an estimated 80 to 90 days. The anticipated melt
rate is about 0.05 meters to 0.1 meters per day from each side and the
base, which would result in a reduction in size of about 8% by
arrival--but certain factors, most notably storms, could increase
erosion at the water line. The final destination will be northwest of
Cape Town, where the iceberg will run aground and sit amid the fairly
cold, slow-moving Benguela Current, about 25 miles from land. There,
Sloane's team will hold the berg in place with a 1,000-ton mooring
system, and, like the French artist Christo, wrap the entire underwater
portion in a giant, 800-ton geotextile skirt designed to reduce wave
impact and inhibit further melting. The skirt, expected to cost roughly
$22 million, will let fresh water pass through, creating a buffer of
cold water, while keeping salt water out. As the iceberg gets smaller,
it will be moved closer to shore.

To harvest the water, the team will ship earthmoving equipment,
including grading and milling machines, to the iceberg via barge. The
machines will be used to excavate a shallow saucer, which will help
speed melt to anywhere from 60 million to 150 million liters a day of an
icy slurry. The slush will be pumped into a rotating fleet of
grocery-grade container ships.

Back on land, the slurry will be fed into a temporary pipe system and
mixed with water from municipal reservoirs. Sloane believes the iceberg
could supply Cape Town for a year before it becomes unstable and breaks
apart. This, he says, will likely happen once the berg is reduced to
about 30% of its original size--though it's impossible to know for sure.
"Nobody's tried this, so there are going to be unexpected discoveries,"
he says.

Before even attempting the tow, the team will need a few months to
perform a reduced environmental assessment for the government--reduced
because Cape Town is still in crisis. One problem may be the effect of
parking a giant ice cube off Africa's coast. "We have no idea what such
a thing would do to all the atmospheric, oceanic ecosystem dynamics in
the area," says Marcello Vichi, a professor of oceanography at the
University of Cape Town who's collaborating with Sloane's team but has
some reservations. "We'd need to do a lot more research, but that's
where money comes in, and time." Alan Condron, who works at the
Massachusetts-based Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and joined the
project in May, will begin modeling impacts within the next months. He
also plans to model melt rates and various towing routes, as well as the
carbon footprint of hauling icebergs vs. desalination. But there's a
limit to what these projections can achieve, he says. "At some point,
you can throw all the modeling you have at it, but you just need someone
to go out and do it."
The price of delivering Antarctic water will be perhaps the biggest
obstacle--Sloane says it would cost Cape Town about three times what it
now pays for delivery of surface water. Critics within the Cape Town
government say it would cost substantially more. "This proposal was not
considered suitable for Cape Town," says Xanthea Limberg, a member of
the mayoral committee for water and waste services. "Such a project is
both complex and risky with an anticipated very high water cost. The
greatest challenges pertained to containment and transportation of the
melt water as well as its injection into the water supply system."

Other officials say the world's worsening water crisis, along with South
Africa's booming population and the local impact of climate change,
require looking beyond traditional water sources. "We do not have the
luxury to discard options," says Dhesigen Naidoo, CEO of South Africa's
Water Research Commission, a nonprofit funded by the country's water
tax. "An iceberg is 99% pure water, and you have the prospect of that
sitting on your doorstep in a giant chunk that you can tap into. It's a
terrific idea."

Time is running out for South Africa to order an iceberg for delivery
this year. Instead, politicians will likely pray for rain, which is
frustrating for Sloane's backers. "We silently sometimes think, A little
more drought could bring the project closer," says Mulder of Water
Vision. "But at the same time, you wish the best for the people in Cape
Town and that abundant rainfall comes."...
- -
Sloane has put more than $100,000 of his own money into the Southern Ice
Project. "If you'd asked me 10 years ago, I probably would have said
this was crazy, but now the time is right," he says, sitting in the
lounge at the InterContinental Paris Le Grand Hotel, where he's staying.
Cape Town, he points out, is by far the most conveniently located city
for a pioneer tow, given its relative proximity to Antarctica and the
path of the Benguela Current, but he believes icebergs may eventually be
pulled to Perth, Australia, and Santiago, Chile. "And if you can get it
to Cape Town, you can get it to Namibia and maybe as far as Angola."

For now, Sloane is focused entirely on his continent, where cities and
towns across several nations are running dry. "I promise you, the water
situation in some parts of Africa is getting worse all the time. It's
certainly not getting better," he says. "Twenty or 30 years from now, I
think towing icebergs will be a regular thing."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-06-06/towing-an-iceberg-one-captain-s-plan-to-bring-drinking-water-to-4-million-people
audio https://megaphone.link/BLM2478928650

*This Day in Climate History - June 8, 2001 - from D.R. Tucker*
June 8, 2001: The New York Times reports:

    "With a new scientific report in hand that reaffirms the reality of
    global warming, the Bush White House readily acknowledged today that
    climate change was a problem but gave little clue as to what it
    intended to do about it.

    "Ari Fleischer, the president's spokesman, told reporters that when
    President Bush heads for Europe next week: 'He's going to tell the
    Europeans that he takes this issue very seriously, that global
    climate change is an issue that nations do need to deal with -- all
    nations, industrialized nations, the United States, developing
    nations, as well. And that through technologies and through growth
    and through other measures, that the world has a responsibility to
    face up to this.'

    "This is the strongest language the White House has used on the
    issue and a far cry from its earlier position that the science was
    too uncertain to proclaim global warming a problem.

    "But a report from the National Academy of Sciences, requested by
    the White House and released on Wednesday, reaffirmed the mainstream
    scientific view that the earth's temperature is rising, largely
    because of human activities, and that this could cause drastic
    climate changes throughout the century.

    "Even before the report, the president was meeting with cabinet
    officials to work out a position and figure out how to present it at
    home and abroad."

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/08/politics/08WARM.html