[TheClimate.Vote] March 1, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Mar 1 11:01:01 EST 2019

/March 1, 2019/

[Tamino is a respected blogger on climate statistics]
Talk About It - Posted on February 28, 2019
*Scientists have learned three things about climate change.*
#1: It's real
#2: It's us
#3: It's bad
Now that we've finally convinced most people about #1 and #2…it's time
for you to face #3. Here's a start.
#3a: It's bad already
#3b: It will be terrible
#3c: How terrible? Depends on us.
Those are facts.
Here's my opinion: our best hope, maybe our only hope, is to get people
to TALK ABOUT IT so much that politicians and pundits cannot ignore us.
When enough people TALK ABOUT IT often enough, I'll have hope. Maybe
I'll even give my friends a break and shut the hell up about it.
https://tamino.wordpress.com/2019/02/28/10525/
- -
[source: scientist's words from RealClimate]
*The best case for worst case scenarios*
..It came up again in discussions about the 4th National Assessment
Report which (unsurprisingly) used both high and low end scenarios to
bracket plausible trajectories for future climate...
- -
However, I'm not specifically interested in discussing these articles or
reports (many others have done so already), but rather why it always so
difficult and controversial to write about the worst cases.

There are basically three (somewhat overlapping) reasons:

The credibility problem: What are the plausible worst cases? And how can
one tell?
The reticence problem: Are scientists self-censoring to avoid talking
about extremely unpleasant outcomes?
The consequentialist problem: Do scientists avoid talking about the most
alarming cases to motivate engagement?
These factors all intersect in much of the commentary related to this
topic (and in many of the articles linked above)...
- - -
*Summary*
To get to the worst cases, two things have to happen - we have to be
incredibly stupid and incredibly unlucky. Dismissing plausible worst
case scenarios adds to the likelihood of both. Conversely, dwelling on
impossible catastrophes is a massive drain of mental energy and focus.
But the fundamental question raised by the three points above is who
should be listened to and trusted on these questions?

It seems clear to me that attempts to game the communication/action
nexus either through deliberate scientific reticence or consequentialism
are mostly pointless because none of us know with any certainty what the
consequences of our science communication efforts will be. Does the
shift in the Overton window from high profile boldness end up being more
effective than technical focus on 'achievable' incremental progress or
does the backlash shut down possibilities? Examples can be found for
both cases. Do the millions of extra eyes that see a dramatic climate
change story compensate for technical errors or idiosyncratic framings?
Can we get dramatic and widely read stories that don't have either?
These are genuinely difficult questions whose solutions lie far outside
the expertise of any individual climate scientist or communicator.

My own view is that scientists generally try to do the right thing,
sharing the truth as best they see it, and so, in the main are neither
overly reticent nor are they playing a consequentialist game. But it is
also clear that with a wickedly complex issue like climate it is easy to
go beyond what you know personally to be true and stray into areas where
you are less sure-footed. However, if people stick only to their narrow
specialties, we are going to miss the issues that arise at their
intersections.

Indeed, the true worst case scenario might be one where we don't venture
out from our safe harbors of knowledge to explore the more treacherous
shores of uncertainty. As we do, we will need to be careful as well as
bold as we map those shoals.
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2019/02/the-best-case-for-worst-case-scenarios/
- - -
[Western culture - humans]
*We Are Terrible Judges of Earth's Changing Climate, Twitter Shows*
Americans aren't necessarily good at noticing how small, gradual changes
in the world around them are adding up -- variations that definitely
make the case for climate change.

That's the takeaway from a new study that analyzes more than 2 billion
location-tagged tweets about the weather sent from across the U.S.
between March 2014 and November 2016. The results suggest that Americans
may not be able to recognize just how much havoc climate change is
wreaking on their lives; if they do, the recognition may inspire just a
grumpy tweet, not the sort of systemic change needed to address climate
change.

"There's a risk that we'll quickly normalize conditions [that] we don't
want to normalize," lead author Frances C. Moore, an environmental
scientist at UC Davis in California, said in a statement. "We are
experiencing conditions that are historically extreme, but they might
not feel particularly unusual if we tend to forget what happened more
than about five years ago."
https://www.space.com/you-are-terrible-judge-of-climate-change.html

[video]
*Britain's Parliament Finds Something That Unites Them: The Heatwave*
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-28/britain-s-freak-winter-heatwave-draws-concern-from-all-parties

[actually this is for the parents]
*How to Talk to Your Kids About Climate Change*
Meghan Moravcik Walbert
Of all the tough conversations we should be having with our kids as they
grow up, I'll admit that educating my son about climate change has not
exactly been a priority. We've had conversations about death,
disability, mental illness, racism, sexism, poverty and gun violence.
All of those felt like important, pressing matters that he already has
seen or experienced or could be exposed to at any point.

Climate change has felt like a problem that is farther off in the
distance, or at the very least, like something he doesn't need to know
about quite yet.
But I need to stop thinking that way. This needs attention right now.

I read this article in my local newspaper, which says that in 60 years,
the climate where we live in eastern Pennsylvania will more closely
represent the "humid, subtropical climes" of Jonesboro, Arkansas. Our
winters will get wetter as our summers get drier. Our dairy cows will
produce less milk. Our ability to produce (and export) electricity will
suffer. Our northern trees will die off but we won't have the proper
soil composition to support southern varieties.

All of this will happen by the time my son is in his 60s and my
(theoretical) grandchildren are my age. Suddenly, it feels impossible
not to address it with him.

Still, like with any large, complex and anxiety-producing topic such as
this, it's not the sort of thing you spring on them one day with
something like, "So, I think it's time to tell you how we're destroying
the world for your generation." Instead, it's a topic you can start to
address while they're young and build upon as they get older and develop
an ability to understand the issue on a deeper level.

(Oh, and don't wait for them to learn about it in school. According to a
2016 report in Science Magazine, the median teacher only devotes 1-2
hours on the topic--and what they teach might not be totally accurate
anyway.)

*Start with the basics*
No need to jump straight to scary statistics. Kids can start to
understand how human actions affect nature as they learn a few basics.
Talk about how the gasses we breathe out are the same gasses that plants
breathe in (and vice versa). Talk about how we use the same water and
air over and over, and how important it is for both to stay clean in
order for all creatures--and the planet--to be healthy.

Help them develop a love of nature by regularly hiking, camping,
gardening and reading about subjects like animals, oceans and forests.
As they get older and can begin to understand the difference between
"weather" and "climate" and start to form their own questions, you can
introduce age-appropriate resources, such as NASA's Climate Kids website.
Be honest but optimistic
Once kids are old enough to have a basic understanding of climate
change, focus on the positives, even if you don't feel particularly
positive yourself. Explain that the first step to solving any problem is
realizing there is a problem; and thanks to many dedicated scientists,
we have a lot of solid information that can help us begin to turn things
around.
Emphasize that it's not too late and lots of grown-ups are working
together around the world to solve this problem. Focus on the little
things your family can do at home to support those efforts.

*Get them involved*
Kids are naturally wired to want to help and taking some kind of action
can give them hope and a sense of empowerment over the issue.

Plant a tree together to reduce carbon in the atmosphere. Help them
write a personal letter to members of Congress. Teach them about the
importance of rainforests and offer a few suggestions for how they can
prevent deforestation (here is a great list of ideas from the Rainforest
Alliance).

*Model environmentally conscious behavior*
Like with most things in parenting, one of the most effective ways to
influence our kids is by modeling the behavior we wish to see from them.
That includes the obvious, like recycling, using second-hand or reusable
goods, turning off the lights when you leave a room, lowering your
thermostat and reducing the amount you drive.

But also make sure to show your kids what civic engagement looks like.
Support green-space initiatives in your community and let your kids hear
you call your representatives to weigh in on environmental policy. Model
for them the importance of everyone taking ownership of the issue by
doing your part in your home, in your community, and on a larger
national and global scale.
https://offspring.lifehacker.com/how-to-talk-to-your-kids-about-climate-change-1832935630
- - -
[another source is Magic School Bus]
*The Magic School Bus And The Climate Challenge*
Trust the bestselling science series of all time to get down to the
facts on global warming, so kids can understand the crisis - and how
they can help solve it.

Like it or not, global warming is a hot topic, and it will affect the
younger generation the most. So why not turn to the teacher kids like
the most, Ms. Frizzle! Only the Friz can boil all the hoopla down to the
scientific facts in a fun and informative way.
With trademark simplicity and wit, Joanna Cole explains why the earth is
getting warmer, and Bruce Degen's bright, action-filled illustrations
make the science easy to understand and fun to learn. This team brings a
new, improved understanding to climate change, engaging kids and
empowering all. Teachers will cheer!
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-School-Bus-Climate-Challenge/dp/0590108263

[from the citizen standing in the room]
*Open Forum: Sen. Feinstein fails to treat climate change with the
urgency it deserves*
By Morissa Zuckerman Feb. 27, 2019
On Friday morning, I stood in front of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.,
while she told me and a dozen other young people that, essentially,
we're toast. Video of the highly publicized encounter between the
senator and Green New Deal youth activists has spread far and wide,
highlighting not only the deepening generational divide between the
emerging electorate and those representing us, but also a real
disagreement over how to tackle the climate crisis and social inequity
-- the most urgent and interlocking moral issues of our time.

Feinstein has been in office longer than I've been alive. She said to us
on Friday, "I've been doing this for 30 years. I know what I'm doing,"
and then passed around her plan -- a watered-down Green New Deal
resolution that set a goal to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by
2050. That is about two decades later than what the world's top
scientists say is necessary to prevent catastrophic warming.

Given what we now know about the climate crisis, kicking the can down
the road is morally reprehensible. The suffering has already begun, with
the superstorms and super-wildfires of recent years the most dramatic
signals. Poor communities and communities of color are hurt first and
worst by fossil fuel extraction and climate change. Continued warming
will exacerbate this injustice, claiming millions of lives and costing
trillions of dollars both here in California and globally...

Congress has been aware of the threat of climate change for decades,
when we still had time to enact a gradual drawdown of fossil fuels.
Instead, the GOP elite sold themselves to Big Oil, and the Democratic
establishment failed to treat the climate crisis with the urgency it
deserves. Now, we're in the red zone.

That's what the kids were trying to tell Sen. Feinstein. We decided to
visit her office because we are scared about what climate change means
for our lives. We understand that our futures are in serious trouble and
that politicians are not taking action at the scale our generation needs
to survive.
At 24, I was one of the oldest in the room. Surrounded by other
activists as young as 7, I was reminded again of the entirely different
worlds we inhabit. For younger generations, climate change is not an
abstract game of political chess. It is a matter of life or death.
Worse than Sen. Feinstein's condescending lecture was having her look us
in the eyes and refuse to support Sen. Markey and Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's
Green New Deal resolution, the only proposed framework that can provide
us with a livable future. When asked about the Green New Deal, 81
percent of Americans and majorities of both parties support the suite of
policies. It is the only proposed approach that can stop climate change,
create good jobs and address inequality at the level that science and
justice demand.

There's much work to be done to turn this vision of a Green New Deal
into a concrete package of bills. But we must start by grounding it in
what the science says is necessary for human survival. From there, civil
society and social movements can work alongside legislators to build the
political will necessary. We need a united Democratic front so that this
legislation is ready to be passed in 2021 under a new administration.

The excuse that "we can't afford it" comes down to prioritization, and
also ignores what climate change will cost under current trajectories.
In November, 13 federal agencies estimated that the U.S. economy would
face more than $500 billion per year in costs from sea level rise,
extreme weather, lost labor and crop damage by the end of this century.
The cost of inaction grows higher by the year...
Morissa Zuckerman is a volunteer leader with the Bay Area chapter of the
Sunrise Movement, one of the youth-led groups spearheading the Green New
Deal. She was born and raised in Oakland.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Open-Forum-Sen-Feinstein-fails-to-treat-climate-13647453.php

[Concrete solutions]
*A company called Blue Planet is converting carbon dioxide into building
material A new terminal at the San Francisco airport was built using
concrete from this process.*
Many companies are researching methods to capture some of that CO2 and
store it in a safe way.

Constantz: "In our case, we turn it into limestone."

Brent Constantz is CEO of Blue Planet. The company has developed
technology for capturing CO2 from power plants or other sources. They
then use it as a raw material for making synthetic limestone, which can
be used to make concrete for roads, bridges, and buildings.
He says turning carbon into a mineral is a permanent way to keep it out
of the atmosphere.
https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2019/02/company-converts-carbon-dioxide-into-building-material/

[Methane mess]
*Rise of the METHANE Over Time and Latitude: 2 of 2*
Paul Beckwith
Published on Feb 28, 2019
Since 2007 atmospheric methane concentrations have risen strongly;
average rate 7 ppb per year. Methane's Global-Warming Potential
multiplies warming vs. CO2 by 34x, 86x, and 150-200x on time scales of
100 years, 20 years, and a few years, respectively. Total radiative
forcing of methane is rapidly catching that of CO2, making Paris targets
nearly impossible to reach without emergency actions. Continuing on last
video, I chat on latest methane science; spatial and temporal variation,
isotopic changes, emission locations, etc...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9HnYJzRzBE

[Yes there are reformed Republicans]
Seeing Red on Climate
*Young Republicans, reformed lobbyists, and green Tea Partiers: Meet
America's "eco-right."*
Zoya Teirstein on Jan 18, 2018
Todd Tanner has a pretty sweet offer for his fellow Montanans: a new
shotgun in exchange for science-based evidence that he's wrong about
climate change.

The conservationist uses the challenge in an attempt to raise awareness
about our warming planet. A lot of people where Tanner lives in Bigfork,
Montana, would probably like to take him up on his offer: The state has
one of the highest rates of outdoor recreationists in the country, and
Tanner is no exception. He was planning on going hunting after we
finished our interview. "You wouldn't know it," he said over the phone,
"but I'm literally walking around in a pair of wool pants."...
- -
A carbon tax in any form is unlikely to make it through today's highly
partisan Congress, so, in the meantime, RepublicEn advocates for a level
playing field for wind and solar energy, less leaky oil and gas
infrastructure, and nuclear power.
Jessica Fernandez, a lifelong Floridian and conservative, was one of the
people inspired by RepublicEn's national eco-right tour. Her upbringing
might have had something to do with it. "At my house," she said, "we
grew up with solar panels on the roof and composting."...
- - -
William Ruckelshaus, who served as EPA administrator under Nixon and
President Reagan, has met with a number of eco-right organizations. He
believes massive support for significant action on global warming is
"going to have to include conservative groups, and virtually every
discipline in society." When Republicans do finally warm up to the idea
of a conservative environmental movement, the eco-right will step out of
the wings.

"They're going to begin to get worried" about the growing impacts of a
warming planet, Ruckelshaus said. "If there are organizations that they
feel more comfortable with, they're more likely to sign on."...
- - -
What should the eco-right do while the top dogs on Capitol Hill insist
on looking the other way? Ruckelshaus, the former EPA chief, says to
"keep on." But as we descend into ever-worsening environmental chaos,
the question remains: How soon can these conservatives alter the course
of history?
https://grist.org/article/climate-change-isnt-just-for-democrats-anymore-meet-the-eco-right-republicans/

[Department of painful Irony and the absurd]
*Out on its own: Australia the only country to use climate funding to
upgrade coal-fired plants*
Green finance experts say Australia is out of step with World Bank,
Europe and the US, which are using funding to combat global warming...
- - -
"At a time when private-sector capital is increasingly looking for low
carbon and decarbonisation opportunities, it would seem to be swimming
against the tide to put government taxpayer funding into these [coal]
activities,"...
- -
Last year the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said that
limiting global warming to 1.5C - a goal referenced in the Paris climate
agreement - would require coal use for energy to fall 59-78% below 2010
levels by 2030.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/01/out-on-its-own-australia-the-only-country-to-use-climate-funding-to-upgrade-coal-fired-plants

*This Day in Climate History - March 1, 2002 - from D.R. Tucker*
March 1, 2002: The New York Times reports:

"Eighteen of the energy industry's top 25 financial contributors to
the Republican Party advised Vice President Dick Cheney's national
energy task force last year, according to interviews and election
records.

"Critics of the Bush administration's energy policy have long
suspected that many of the corporations that were invited to advise
the White House were large energy concerns that had contributed
heavily to President Bush's campaign and the Republican Party in
2000. The White House has refused to release the names of the
companies and individuals consulted during the formulation of the
administration's energy policy last spring. It has been sued for the
information.

"But interviews and task force correspondence demonstrate an
apparent correlation between large campaign contributions and access
to Mr. Cheney's task force. Of the top 25 energy industry donors to
the Republican Party before the November 2000 election, 18
corporations sent executives or representatives to meet with Mr.
Cheney, the task force chairman, or members of the task force and
its staff. The companies include the Enron Corporation, the Southern
Company, the Exelon Corporation, BP, the TXU Corporation,
FirstEnergy and Anadarko Petroleum."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/01/us/top-gop-donors-in-energy-industry-met-cheney-panel.html