[TheClimate.Vote] March 2, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Mar 2 10:22:52 EST 2019

/March 2, 2019/

[Buzzfeed - a single-issue candidate]
*Jay Inslee Is Running For President As The Climate Candidate*
"We're the first generation to feel the sting of climate change. And
we're the last who can do something about it," Inslee said in a video
announcing his candidacy.
Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee announced on Friday he's running for
president, pitching himself as the best candidate to tackle the
worsening climate crisis.

"I'm Jay Inslee and I'm running for president because I'm the only
candidate who will make defeating climate change our nation's number one
priority," the governor said in an announcement video that is
exclusively about climate change, running through comments he's made on
the issue going back years.

Inslee will kick off a "Climate Mission Tour" in Iowa next Tuesday.
Inslee is joining a crowded field of 2020 Democratic presidential
contenders, but he's the only candidate to join the race so far with
such a tight focus on a single issue. Other Democratic hopefuls have
made preventing the worst impacts of man-made climate change a goal of
their campaigns -- and one that sharply contrasts President Donald
Trump's denial of the science -- but Inslee is trying to differentiate
himself by making it his primary focus.

The governor's campaign may be well timed. More Americans are concerned
about climate change than ever, with about 7 in 10 of people saying they
are "somewhat worried" about global warming, according to a polling
results released January by climate communication experts at Yale
University and George Mason University.

The poll found nearly half of Americans believe climate change is
harming the US right now. A major federal climate report released last
November, called the Fourth National Climate Assessment, concluded
climate impacts are playing out across the US, from damaging wildfires
to increased heavy rain and flooding to rising seas.

"We're the first generation to feel the sting of climate change. And
we're the last who can do something about it," Inslee said in his launch
video. "This crisis isn't just a chart or graph anymore. The impacts are
being felt everywhere."
During his latest state-of-the-state speech, he called for Washington
state to transition from fossil fuels to running on 100% clean
electricity, retrofitting buildings to more energy efficient, and more.

His presidential campaign laid out four principles of its "Climate
Mission" on its new site: "Powering our economy with clean energy,"
"investing in good jobs, infrastructure & innovation," "fighting for
environmental justice &economic inclusion," and "ending fossil fuel
giveaways."
more at: -
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zahrahirji/jay-inslee-2020-president-climate-change

- -
[video- Jay Inslee announces candidacy and the one issue for his campaign]
*Our Moment*
Jay Inslee
Published on Mar 1, 2019
This is our moment, our climate, our mission. Together, we can defeat
climate change. That's why I'm running for president...
https://youtu.be/mlgdlWO-4yI

[Here's the Congressional resolution on climate change: ]
*JOINT RESOLUTION Calling on the United States and Congress to take
immediate action to address the challenge of climate change.* Resolved
by the Senate and House of Representatives1of the United States of
America in Congress assembled, That it is the sense of Congress that--
(1) climate change is real;
(2) human activity during the last century is 1the dominant cause of the
climate crisis; and
(3) the United States and Congress should take immediate action to
address the challenge of climate change.
https://www.epw.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/9/5/958b200b-20ed-4c76-ba76-45b0b34882ba/7543F1F197F80F8181DE8BB1E94CCC86.climate-res-attachment-1.pdf
- - -
[opinion]
*Schumer-Carper resolution fails the laugh test*
February 28, 2019
WASHINGTON, D.C. - A resolution on climate change was introduced today
in the Senate by Minority Leader Schumer (D-NY) and Ranking Member
Carper (D-Del.). It simply asserts that climate change is real and that
Congress should address it.
Nicole Ghio, Fossil Fuel Program Manager at Friends of the Earth, issued
the following statement in response:

    This resolution is wasting time while our climate burns. The window
    for moderate action on climate change has closed. A symbolic
    critique of Republicans for having no plan rings hollow if centrist
    Democrats lack the courage to press for real solutions. This
    resolution sets a low bar at a time when the fundamental
    transformation of our economy that delivers on the promise of a
    Green New Deal is the only real climate solution worth discussing.

Communications contact: Erin Jensen, (202) 222-0722, ejensen at foe.org
https://foe.org/news/schumer-carper-resolution-fails-laugh-test/

[meanwhile, hard news]
*Photos Show California Residents Paddling Around As Catastrophic Floods
Turn Towns Into Islands*
An intense atmospheric river event sparked catastrophic floods,
stranding Northern California communities and damaging thousands of homes.
Days of unrelenting heavy rains have transformed Northern California
communities into islands, stranding thousands of residents and
submerging their homes, shops, and schools under several feet of brown
water.

The now-inundated towns were caught in what meteorologists call an
atmospheric river -- a long stretch of water vapor that transports and
dumps heaps of moisture like a "river in the sky." The phenomenon can
carry roughly the equivalent to "the average flow of water at the mouth
of the Mississippi River," US scientists say, and when combined with
strong winds, can lead to incredible rainfall and flooding.
The incessant storms warped Sonoma County's Russian River, swelling it
to nearly 46 feet -- 14 feet above flood stage -- and turning the towns
of Guerneville and Monte Rio into islands, authorities said. It was the
worst flooding the area has seen in more than two decades.
More than 4,500 residents were stranded, muddy water encircling their
roofs, apartment complexes, mini-golf courses, and markets. Photos
captured people loading supplies into kayaks and canoes, navigating
submerged streets on long paddle boards, in row boats...and trash cans...
more at: -
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/briannasacks/california-flooding-russian-river-weather-storm-climate

[Cryo-limnology]
*Lakes Beneath Antarctic Ice: Deep Dark and Mysterious*
University of California Television (UCTV)
Published on Feb 28, 2019
2:52 - Start of Presentation - Helen Fricker
44:07 - Q & A
In 2006, Helen Amanda Fricker was sitting at her desk studying new
satellite data when she made a starting discovery - a set of active
lakes that exist underneath the ice in Antarctica. Join Helen, a 25-year
veteran of Antarctic ice sheet research, and learn about the discovery,
exploration and drilling of these mysterious phenomena at the southern
reaches of our planet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpAd9XNF3F0

[*Uninhabitable Earth - Author's comment*]
"The book does two big things: it surveys the science projecting what
will happen at temperatures between 2 and 4 degrees (quite harrowing, as
you all know), and tries to get beyond the science, to something like a
humanities of climate change, considering what it would mean for our
politics and geopolitics, our culture and relationship to technology and
to capitalism (among other things), to be living on a world warmed that
much.

I hope also, in taking a big-picture view of the state of the situation,
it inspires some people--perhaps even many people--to take engage more
deeply and take more aggressive action."    - David Wallace-Wells
- - -
[Book review]
*The Uninhabitable Earth by David Wallace-Wells review - our terrifying
future*
Enough to induce a panic attack...a brutal portrait of climate change
and our future lives on Earth. But we have the tools to avoid it.

You already know it's bad. You already know the weather has gone weird,
the ice caps are melting, the insects are disappearing from the Earth.
You already know that your children, and your children's children, if
they are reckless or brave enough to reproduce, face a vista of rising
seas, vanishing coastal cities, storms, wildfires, biblical floods. As
someone who reads the news and is sensitive to the general mood of the
times, you have a general sense of what we're looking at. But do you
truly understand the scale of the tribulations we face? David
Wallace-Wells, author of the distressingly titled The Uninhabitable
Earth, is here to tell you that you do not. "It is," as he puts it in
the book's first line, "worse, much worse, than you think."
- - -
This all makes for relentlessly grim reading, particularly in that first
section. As is generally the case in any sustained exposure to the
subject of climate change - a subject that can seem increasingly like
the only subject - a kind of apocalyptic glaze descends over even the
most conscientious eyes, a peculiarly contemporary compound of boredom
and horror. ("Human kind," as the bird in TS Eliot's Four Quartets
sagely points out, "cannot bear very much reality.") It's a problem of
which Wallace-Wells is clearly aware. "If you have made it this far, you
are a brave reader," as he puts it, somewhere past the halfway point,
acknowledging the likelihood of the material he's sifting through
causing despondency in anyone considering it. "But you are not merely
considering it," he clarifies, "you are about to embark on living it. In
many cases, in many places, we already are."

That last point turns out to be one of the most crucial of the book's
warnings. Because as dire as the projections are, if you are surveying
the topic from a privileged western vantage, it's easy to overlook how
bad things have already got, to accept the hurricanes and the heatstroke
deaths as simply the unfortunate nature of things. In this way,
Wallace-Wells raises the disquieting spectre of future normalisation -
the prospect that we might raise, incrementally but inexorably, our
baseline of acceptable human suffering. (This phenomenon is not without
precedent. See, for example, the whole of human history.)
For a relatively short book, The Uninhabitable Earth covers a great deal
of cursed ground - drought, floods, wildfires, economic crises,
political instability, the collapse of the myth of progress - and
reading it can feel like taking a hop-on hop-off tour of the future's
sprawling hellscape. It's not without its hopeful notes: in a sense,
none of this would even be worth talking about if there were nothing we
could do about it. As Wallace-Wells points out, we already have all the
tools we need to avoid the worst of what is to come: "a carbon tax and
the political apparatus to aggressively phase out dirty energy; a new
approach to agricultural practices and a shift away from beef and dairy
in the global diet; and public investment in green energy and carbon
capture". The fact that the route out of this hell is straightforward
does not mean, of course, that it won't be incredibly arduous, or that
we should be confident of making it.

The book, however, is less focused on solutions than on clarifying the
scale of the problem, the horror of its effects. You could call it
alarmist, and you would not be wrong. (In the closing pages,
Wallace-Wells himself accepts the charge as "fair enough, because I am
alarmed".) But to read The Uninhabitable Earth - or to consider in any
serious way the scale of the crisis we face - is to understand the
collapse of the distinction between alarmism and plain realism. To fail
to be alarmed is to fail to think about the problem, and to fail to
think about the problem is to relinquish all hope of its solution.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/27/the-uninhabitable-earth-review-david-wallace-wells
- - -
{RadioEcoShock -Interview with David Wallace-Wells]
*Listen to or download 28 minute interview with my first guest David
Wallace-Wells in CD Quality or LoFi*
https://www.ecoshock.net/downloads/ES_WallaceWells.mp3
https://www.ecoshock.net/downloads/ES_WallaceWells_LoFi.mp3*
*https://www.ecoshock.org/2019/02/uninhabitable-earth-david-wallace-wells.html

[But only if you read it, let it...and only if you go]
*The Climate Change Paper So Depressing It's Sending People to Therapy*
On average, three people read an academic paper. At least 100,000 have
read this--and a lot of them haven't taken it very well.
That if I told you there was a paper on climate change that was so
uniquely catastrophic, so perspective-altering, and so absolutely
depressing that it's sent people to support groups and encouraged them
to quit their jobs and move to the countryside?

Good news: there is. It's called "Deep Adaptation: A Map for Navigating
Climate Tragedy." I was introduced to it via an unlikely source--a guy
formerly in advertising who had left his job to become a full-time
environmental campaigner. "We're fucked," he told me. "Climate change is
going to fuck us over. I remember thinking, Should I just accept the
deep adaptation paper and move to the Scottish countryside and wait out
the apocalypse?"
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwpdb/the-climate-change-paper-so-depressing-its-sending-people-to-therapy

[OK I believe you]
*Ken Nordlund: Cars are More the Culprit of Global Warming Than Cows*
Kenneth Nordlund, DVM, University Of Wisconsin
https://www.drovers.com/article/ken-nordlund-cars-are-more-culprit-global-warming-cows

[Comic relief, not redemption]
*Hotpocalypse Episdoe 8 - Oceanographer Kathy Kelly & the ocean conveyor
belt*
Hotpocalypse
Published on Mar 1, 2019
Climate scientists are tired of "debating" deniers that don't even know
how to use a thermometer. In this episode of Hotpocalypse, Oceanographer
Kathie Kelly joins us to tell us about the ocean conveyor belt -and the
satellite she used to study the data. Climate Change deniers, where's
YOUR satellite??!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC81-HJQ2KI

*This Day in Climate History - March 2, 2005 - from D.R. Tucker*
Rick Piltz resigns from the US Climate Change Science Program after
relentless, extensive efforts by Bush White House officials to censor
scientific reports on climate change.
http://www.heatisonline.org/contentserver/objecthandlers/index.cfm?id=5316&method=full