[TheClimate.Vote] May 2, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu May 2 10:51:47 EDT 2019

/May 2, 2019/

[excellent short video about False Balance in media accounts]
*Not The White House Correspondents' Dinner: Balance v. Truth with
Snooki and Alex Honnold | TBS*
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
Published on Apr 27, 2019
A balanced treatment of an unbalanced phenomenon distorts reality, but
that's just what a bunch of experts think. We also asked Alex Honnold
and Snooki.
Produced by Mike Rubens with Lauren Walker. Edited by Daphne Gomez-Men
"False Balance" is when journalism gives equal time to a brilliant
scientist and a lying moron.
What climate explainers have tried to alert us to for decades.
"False Balance" in journalism is a crisis, and is making us all dumber.
Wisdom from Katherine Hayhoe, Alex Honnold and Snooki.
https://youtu.be/1wXUk1uYELU

[sample message about news language]
*Call it a Climate Crisis**
**ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX NEWS, MSNBC, AND NBC*
Actionnetwork_call-it-a-crisis_v1
We need television news to call the climate crisis exactly what it is: a
climate crisis.
*In 2018, only 3.5% of national television news segments that mentioned
climate change referred to it as a crisis or emergency.*

Words matter. When networks consistently fail to treat climate change as
a crisis or emergency, they unwittingly enable complacency and inaction.
It's long past time for the media to call the climate crisis what it
is--and to cover it with the regularity, focus, and depth that an
urgent, existential threat merits.

    To: ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and NBC
    From: [Your Name]

    We're asking your network and newsrooms to call the climate crisis
    transforming the Earth exactly what it is: a climate crisis.

    Because when lethal heatwaves are the new normal, it's a crisis.
    When stronger storms force millions from their homes over and over
    again, it's a crisis. When kids walk out of school so adults will
    see their future's at stake, it's a crisis.

    But the coverage we see on television doesn't match the reality
    outside our windows. In 2018, less than 4 percent of news segments
    spoke of climate change's impacts as a "crisis" or "emergency." And
    when disasters like supercharged hurricanes and wildfires do strike,
    too few segments make the connection to the greenhouse gases and
    climate change behind them.

    The words your reporters and anchors use matter. What they call
    something shapes how millions see it – and how entire nations act.

    And today, we need to act boldly and quickly. With scientists
    warning of global catastrophe unless we slash emissions by 2030, the
    stakes have never been clearer.

    Your network can make a difference. With your voice and your reach,
    you can jump start a global conversation on how we solve this
    crisis. While we still have time.

    It starts with the news calling this exactly what it is. Call it a
    climate crisis.

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/call-it-a-climate-crisis

[Covers the basics]
*Robert Reich: 5 Responses to Climate Change Deniers*
Robert Reich
Published on Apr 29, 2019
Robert Reich provides arguments to combat climate change skeptics and
deniers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekmzvfKf8n0

[Two guys talking, video/audio dialog]
the Meaning of Life TV
*THE WRIGHT SHOW CANCELLING THE APOCALYPSE *
Robert Wright (Bloggingheads.tv, The Evolution of God, Nonzero, Why
Buddhism Is True) and Luke Kemp (Centre for the Study of Existential Risk)
*Are we on the road to civilizational collapse? *    2:19
Why we need global governance, not global government  11:01
The double-edged sword of civilizational complexity  18:20
The apocalyptic scenario Bob fears most     24:11
Luke: Not every problem has a technical solution     42:01
Bob: Slower technological change would be a blessing     50:15
https://meaningoflife.tv/videos/41689?in=24:11

[CPA says goodbye to Polly Higgins]
*CPA Newsletter May 2019: Polly Higgins*
We are devastated to have lost International Earth lawyer, friend and
colleague Polly Higgins who died on Easter Sunday 2019 after a short
illness. Polly's death came at a poignant moment in the midst of the
biggest civil disobedience campaign in modern British history.
Extinction Rebellion demands urgent action on climate change and has
seen over 1,000 arrests so far. Tributes to Polly and her work were made
from the platform of the gathering in London on Sunday evening as her
death was announced...
- - -
Polly began her campaign to make ecocide the 5th UN crime against peace
by proposing Ecocide law into the United Nations in 2010.
   "A law against ecocide would criminalize human activities that cause
extensive damage to, destruction of or loss of ecosystems of a given
territory; and which diminish the health and well-being of species
within these ecosystems including humans." Since that time Polly has
tirelessly given her time to speak and teach internationally on earth
jurisprudence. It was eco-theologian Thomas Berry who first called for
the law to recognise the rights of nature , a very important part of the
challenge to our human- centredness, arguably at the core of ecological
destruction. Polly published three books: the Award winning Eradicating
Ecocide (2010) Earth is our Business (2012) and I Dare you to be Great
(2014).
Polly's legal team are fully briefed and can continue the process she
began -  preliminary independent investigations into Dutch Shell's CEO
will determine whether there is sufficient evidence to establish Ecocide
as a crime in International Law....
- - -
https://mailchi.mp/57d65b6c9461/cpa-newsletter-may-2019-polly-higgins?e=7acbb78247
- -
Times Obit for Polly Higgins
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/register/polly-higgins-obituary-92z6zd3ps

[imperfect machine translations from original French by Google -- the
title of the book may differ in English version]
*Climate: the alarm call of Fred Vargas*
By Marianne Payot
"Humanity in peril, all of a sudden!" (Flammarion): it is under this
title shock that the queen of the black will publish on May 1 a test
supported on the ecology.
The queen of the dark will publish on May 1 a shocking book on the
climate: Humanity in danger. Come on board, everything! (Flammarion)
Fred Vargas, a committed whistleblower, deals with the climate emergency
by using rigorous data and in a style that can not be more direct.
Fustigating "billionaire industrialists at the head of lobbies" who hold
under their thumb "our apparently powerless rulers", the creator of
Commissioner Adamsberg continues: "For forty years, and although aware
of the issues, they conceal what we would have must have known, so much
so that we have continued to advance blindly, unconscious and
credulous.This misinformation, whether voluntary or passive, of people
around the world is a very serious mistake (...) It's against this
intolerable misinformation that I want to fight, at the height of my
small means.

The rising temperature, melting ice, dirty oceans, invasive pollution,
the disappearance of animal species, pesticides and heavy metals
damaging to our food and our organisms ... Nothing to do with dystopia
but everything with the state of the Earth described by the author of
Temps Glaciaires. Fred Vargas is not [her] first claw, imbibing many ...
novels of environmental concern, with CO2 shot in the air, seagulls,
wild boars, ladybugs, dandelions ... "There is no stake as determining
today as the ecology, she confided to L'Express. The situation is very
serious, we touched the sea, the earth, the air. As Hulot rightly says,
'Chinese children do not know the sky is blue, there is fire in the lake'. "

As usual, the former archaeozoologist CNRS, Frederique Audoin-Rouzeau
[real name], has worked seriously on the subject. And today she
reproduces, with some black humor, the state of her research in some 250
pages. "It is together that we can weaken the shock - already well on
the way - that is about to hit our Earth and its living world,"
concludes the world bestseller.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.lexpress.fr/culture/climat-le-cri-d-alarme-de-fred-vargas_2066464.html&prev=search
- -
[Author Fred Vargas en Francais - video interview ]
*La grande librairie **S11 : Emission du mercredi 1 mai 2019*
French speakers go to 8' in the video):
https://www.france.tv/france-5/la-grande-librairie/la-grande-librairie-saison-11/981745-la-grande-librairie.html
- - -
[Non-fiction out today - thank you MM-L!]
*Humanity in Peril - Virons de bord, tout!*
Paperback - May 1, 2019
by Vargas Fred (Author)
"But damn it, how am I going to get out of this foolish task? From this
idea of ​​talking with you about the future of the living world? While I
know very well that you would have preferred that I give you a crime
novel. Ten years ago, I published a very short essay on ecology. And
when I was told that it would be read at the inauguration of the COP 24,
it was then that I conceived a project of the same water, a little
longer, on the Earth, of the living world, of humanity. Just that."
https://www.amazon.fr/LHumanit%C3%A9-P%C3%A9ril-Virons-bord-toute/dp/2081490862

[International global heating refugees]
*Fleeing climate change - the real environmental disaster | DW Documentary*
DW Documentary
Published on May 1, 2019
How many millions of people will be forced to leave their homes by 2050?
This documentary looks at the so-called hotspots of climate change in
the Sahel zone, Indonesia and the Russian Tundra.
Lake Chad in the Sahel zone has already shrunk by 90 percent since the
1960s due to the increasing heat. About 40 million people will be forced
to migrate to places where there is enough rainfall. Migration has
always existed as a strategy to adapt to a changing environment. But the
number of those forced to migrate solely because of climate change has
increased dramatically since the 1990s. It is a double injustice: after
becoming rich at the expense of the rest of the world, the
industrialized countries are now polluting the atmosphere with their
emissions and bringing a second misfortune to the inhabitants of the
poorer regions. One of them is Mohammed Ibrahim: as Lake Chad got hotter
and drier, he decided to go where the temperatures were less extreme and
there was still a little water, trekking with his wife, children and 70
camels from Niger to Chad and then further south. The journey lasted
several years and many members of his herd died of thirst. Now he and
his family are living in a refugee camp: they only have seven camels
left. Mohammed is one of many who have left their homelands in the Sahel
- not because of conflict and crises, but because of the high
temperatures. He's a real climate refugee.
https://youtu.be/cl4Uv9_7KJE

[Asking news consumers to respect simple global warming science]
*How accurate are scientific predictions about climate?*
potholer54
Published on Apr 9, 2019
First, some CORRECTIONS:
1) Jerry Taylor did leave the Cato Institute, and set up his own
think-tank called the Niskanen Center. It also reflects Libertarian views.
2) Some reputable researchers have found that if the reduction in
forcing due to CFCs (a greenhouse gas that was banned under the Montreal
Protocol) is included, Hansen's  Scenario B temperature projection is
even more accurate, and likely a bigger cause for him being slightly off
actual temperature rise than the higher estimate he gave for the Earth's
sensitivity...My thanks to subscribers who pointed this out. Gavin
Schmidt has written about this on RealClimate, and Zeke Hausfather is
working on a paper showing it.
Whatever the reason for the difference, it doesn't change the fact that
Hansen's temperature projection was almost spot on.
https://youtu.be/ugwqXKHLrGk

*This Day in Climate History - May 2, 2012 - from D.R. Tucker*
May 2, 2012: MSNBC's Rachel Maddow interviews author Steve Coll about
his book "Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMNooTqwuk0