[TheClimate.Vote] May 8, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed May 8 09:23:19 EDT 2019

/May 8, 2019/

[USA Today observation]
*Climate change the new Vietnam War? Generation Z poised to change US
politics with activism*
Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY Published May 6, 2019
Politicians take note: The current crop of young climate change
activists could signal the emergence of a generation of politically
involved youth not seen since the 1960s. And research shows the younger
people become civically engaged, the more likely they are to stay
engaged in activism and politics for their entire lives, potentially
creating a generation of change, an article that appeared Monday in the
journal Nature Climate Change suggests.

Generation Z, mostly still under 18, is not only demographically large
but increasingly worried about the threat climate change poses to its
future. The group has spawned a host of climate change activists and
protests globally, including the Sunrise Movement, Zero Hour, Youth for
Climate and #FridaysForFuture demonstrations.

"What we're seeing is a movement, if it continues to expand, that has
the potential to substantially change the political landscape, as well
as its focus," said Dana Fisher, a professor of sociology at the
University of Maryland in College Park, Maryland who studies climate
change activism. She authored the piece in the journal.

Young people also bring their parents along with them. Research shows
that when children become concerned about global warming, their parents
start to care more too.

Data on people under 18 is difficult to get because it requires parental
permission, which dramatically decreases response rates on surveys. But
research shows that young people are increasingly engaged in electoral
politics and activism, Fisher said.

Not only is there a global youth climate movement, it's growing...
- - -
"Over 1,000 students, high school students and middle school students,
marched down the street in total silence," she added. "It was stunning
and moving beyond word. Their silence conveyed a gravity that hangs over
their future like a storm cloud about to burst."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/05/06/generation-z-poised-change-us-politics-climate-change-activism/1090104001/

[Here is some Tweet activism for us]
*Oil Change U.S.*
@OilChangeUS
*Presidential Candidate Signers*
Twelve major 2020 Democratic Presidential candidates have signed the No
Fossil Fuel Money pledge. These signers are listed below, as well as all
major* candidates on the Democratic side who have not yet signed the pledge.
Take action today: Use the buttons provided below to thank candidates
who've signed, and urge those who haven't to get on board and stand with
people, not big polluters.
http://nofossilfuelmoney.org/presidential-signers/
- -
Who hasn't signed? There are still several who've yet to reject
contributions from PACs, executives, & lobbyists of the oil, gas, & coal
industry.
They're welcome to sign the *#NoFossilFuelMoney* pledge at any time -
the time is always right to stand w/ people, not big polluters.
Here's our most recent rundown of who's signed and who hasn't - it
includes the specifics of each candidate's signing and the picture /
video of them doing so, and then runs through the candidates that have
yet to sign:
https://twitter.com/OilChangeUS/status/1125836635898351616
Any boosting / amplification much appreciated - particularly as we start
to ramp up pressure on Booker, Harris, Castro, etc.
Here's the rundown of who's yet to sign:
https://twitter.com/OilChangeUS/status/1125836660313341952
Candidates who haven't YET signed to reject fossil fuel $$:
@MichaelBennet
@JoeBiden
@CoryBooker
@JulianCastro
@JohnDelaney
@KamalaHarris
@Hickenlooper
@amyklobuchar
@TimRyan
Who will be next to step up, stand on the right side of history, &
pledge to take #NoFossilFuelMoney?
They're late to the party, but still plenty of time to join the rest.
Anyone who's able to apply some pressure to relevant folks or has ideas
on how to do so, shoot me a note and I'd love to chat.
https://twitter.com/OilChangeUS/status/1125836660313341952

TILclimate - Podcast
*MIT Climate's podcast (Today I Learned: Climate)*
ABOUT TILCLIMATE PODCAST
Climate change is confusing. This MIT podcast breaks down the science,
technologies, and policies behind climate change, how it's impacting us,
and what we can do about it. Each quick episode gives you the what, why,
and how on climate change -- from real scientists -- to help us make
informed decisions for our future.
https://climate.mit.edu/users/tilclimate-podcast
- - -
[first podcast is about flying]
*E1: TIL about planes*
"I love to travel. But I hate the fact that something I love to do,
creates so much pollution." In this episode of TILclimate (Today I
Learned: Climate), MIT professor Steven Barrett and host Laur Hesse
Fisher dig into how -- and why -- air travel impacts our earth's
climate, and what solutions are on the horizon. They explore the
surprising heating effect of condensation trails ("contrails"), how
computer simulations of the earth's climate system are built, and what
scientists and engineers are doing to make flying, well, less bad for
the planet.
Prof. Barrett is a professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics and the
Director of the Laboratory for Aviation and the Environment. Through
this lab, he coordinates the MIT Electric Aircraft Initiative, which
aims to assess and develop sustainable electric aircraft technology. To
read more about Barrett's research on contrails, biofuels, fuel
efficiency, electric aviation technology, and more,...,
https://climate.mit.edu/podcasts/e1-til-about-planes

[Crude diplomacy]
*U.S. stuns audience by tongue-lashing China, Russia on eve of Arctic
Council ministerial*
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo stunned onlookers Monday by
tongue-lashing China and Russia during an Arctic policy speech on the
eve of the Arctic Council ministerial.

"China's words and actions raise doubts about its intentions," Pompeo
said to a packed audience mostly made up of Arctic Council delegates at
Rovaniemi's Lappi Areena.

"Beijing claims to be a near-Arctic state," Pompeo said refrencing
China's 2018 white paper on the Arctic. "Yet the shortest distance
between China and the Arctic is 900 miles. There are Arctic states, and
non-Arctic states. No third category exists. China claiming otherwise
entitles them to exactly nothing."...
- -
The intergovernmental forum is made up of the eight northern nations and
six Arctic Indigenous groups, and its mandate is to discuss sustainable
development and environmental protection in the North.The countries meet
biennially to transfer the rotating chairmanship and sign a declaration
that establishes their priorities for the next two years. On Tuesday,
Finland hands the chairmanship to Iceland....
- -
Gao Feng, China's special representative for the Arctic and head of the
Chinese delegation at the Arctic Council ministerial, said the speech
left him floored.

"The business of the  Arctic Council is cooperation, environmental
protection, friendly consultation and the sharing and exchange of views.
This is completely different now," he said shaking his head as he talked
to reporters. "And talking to the biggest Arctic Council nation, Russia,
like that? I can't find a good word (in English) to describe it.

Lassi Heininen, Research Director at Finland's University of Helsinki,
said the content and timing of the speech were unherd of at Arctic
Council ministerial meetings, where traditionally, no one state or
minister tries to "steal the show."

"What has happened that he has to act so aggressively towards China and
Russia?," Heininen said. "(Because) even when there are turbulence or
uncertainties, the Arctic Council says 'let's keep this out' because we
have certain common interests, to have some solid ground. Particularly,
this is just the day before the ministerial where (typically) all the
parties have respected having a good mood and spirit here because of
common interests.

"Maybe this is the Trump administration's way to show their foreign
policy? But is there a need for that? What is the need? What are you
aiming to gain?

"I hope that this will not open a new kind of use of the Arctic Council,
or mis-use of it, for other purposes."
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/arctic/2019/05/us-stuns-audience-tongue-lashing-china-russia-eve-arctic-council-ministerial

[Wildcare winner Harriet Riley's essay...]
*Endlings*
Harriet Riley last year won our Wildcare Nature Writing Prize. Her
prized essay Endlings has been published in Island 146. We invite you to
read Harriet's beautiful and moving story here, and purchase the
magazine online to see it in print.
By Harriet Riley

In 1996 a correspondence published in Nature coined the term 'endling'
to refer to an animal that was the last of its species. It's a
fantastical word, like something out of a fairytale. An endling lives
deep in a dark forest beneath distant mountains, and can only been seen
at midnight once every hundred years.

In a way, this isn't so far from the truth. Every now and then there's a
sighting of an animal, like the Australian night parrot, long thought
extinct. But just as often we know exactly when and where the last
member of a species died.

Whether it's Martha the passenger pigeon or Lonesome George the Pinta
Island tortoise, every endling is a lesson in how humans should - or
rather, shouldn't - interact with the natural world. But the word
endling itself tells us something important too, about how we relate to
species on the brink of extinction. We do not see them as real.

Or, perhaps more accurately, we do not see extinction as real.

I first noticed this while consoling a heartbroken ornithologist...
[more at:]
https://www.taswriters.org/wildcare-winner-harriet-rileys-essay-endlings/
https://twitter.com/harrietlr01
- - -
[Interesting, fictitious conjecture]
*THE BILLIONAIRES' GUIDE TO HACKING THE PLANET*
What would it look like if a small group of billionaires took unilateral
climate action through solar radiation management?
DAVE LEVITAN - MAY 2, 2019
Three billionaires stand on a runway, watching the last of the planes
climb toward the stratosphere. The sky is cloudless, and it is hot, with
little breeze. As the whine of the engine fades, the billionaires turn
and head inside one of the few buildings in view. The South Pacific's
waves lap at the sand lying only steps away, and the gaudy blue of the
ocean stretches to the horizon in every direction.

They say nothing to the crew working inside a small control room. A
collection of monitors displays impenetrable information as the fleet of
planes soars higher and higher, beyond the reach of commercial jetliners
and all but a few types of military aircraft. In the corner of the room,
several screens are streaming CNN, the BBC, and other major news
outlets; no one pays much attention as the talking heads discuss the
global initiative launching from this remote island.

The billionaires fidget, displaying a nervousness to which few such
titans of industry would ever admit. They mutter to each other, stealing
glances at the newscasts. A screen display counts down, and eventually
the process starts: the planes dump their payload, tons and tons of tiny
particles known as sulfate aerosols, designed to reflect sunlight back
into space and to offer some degree of cooling respite to a warming
planet. They will do this from thousands of flights each year,
unceasingly, until the world finally, mercifully, gets its shit together....
- - -
The Triumvirate holds the press conference from the island, via remote
uplink. The questions start with details. How many planes? How much
sulfur? Then they turn to the broader issues. Will this really cool the
planet? It should, says Server Billionaire. What are the downsides?
There may be many, Mars Billionaire replies. He lists a few possibilities.

Finally, someone lands on the correct question: When will you stop?

The three glance at each other. One of them, any of them, answers: We
can't. Not until emissions drop. As the world brings carbon dioxide
emissions toward zero, we can start ramping down the flights. Until
then, stopping would cause rapid warming that could be more catastrophic
than the original problem. This is known as "termination shock."

The reporters jump over each other to follow up, asking if this is a
certainty, and whether they worry that some natural disaster might stop
the flights before emissions can be drawn down. "So this is essentially
a hostage situation?" one yells. "You're holding us all for ransom until
we do what you want?" The islands, comes the answer, they asked us to.
It's not what we want. This is for everyone. Voices beamed in from
dozens of countries, from the northernmost parts of the world and from
the Global South, cite polling at home suggesting opposition to SRM,
while others point to a study projecting decreased rainfall or increased
drought as a result...
more at -
https://psmag.com/ideas/the-billionaires-guide-to-hacking-the-planet

[Darkly sarcastic opinion from The Onion]
COMMENTARY
*Bye!*
By The Animal Kingdom
So you've probably heard about the new report saying human-caused
climate change is putting about a million different species of animals
and plants at risk of extinction, and we just wanted to pop on over and
say that it's true, a lot of us are on our way out the door.

Bye!

Seriously, look at the time! We can't believe it's been hundreds of
thousands of years already! That's a pretty long time, when you think
about it, and you can't go on coexisting as humans and animals on the
same planet forever. And you know what they say: It's better to burn out
than to fade away. We're gonna take our cue here and get out of your
hair pretty soon. So arrivederci, and adios!

We've had some really good times, us and you humans. Who can forget the
crazy days of the Pleistocene epoch? Sure, the Ice Age was no picnic,
but it was honestly pretty great later on hanging out and watching y'all
evolve. We've had this whole symbiotic thing going where animals and
Homo erectus could live side by side. Over the years, we've gotten to
migrate with you as you've moved around and really had a chance to find
ourselves and flourish in new places. It was paradise. It would've been
awesome if life could've stayed that way forever, you know?

We're not trying to flake or anything, believe us. Look, you guys are
obviously busy with your machines and your wars and your relentless
pursuit of profit. Sometimes, people and animals grow apart. And that's
okay. We've always been pretty chill with what you guys are doing, so
don't worry, it's totally cool. A flourishing ecosystem that supports
all of Earth's creatures isn't going to be everyone's thing. It's your
habitat now, after all, and you've been gracious hosts to us for a long
time. So thanks!

Since we've got you here, we do want to mention that it hasn't been all
fun and games. If we're being honest, we're still not totally keen on
poaching, pollution, zoos, deforestation, or raising us in terrible
conditions for the express purpose of slaughtering and eating us. Those
things are kind of a buzzkill. Don't get us wrong, we're not trying to
be overly critical, since you obviously have your reasons. We just
wanted to get that off our chests before we get going.

Also, it's sort of weird you breed some of us as pets. Just saying.

Do we wish we could stick around longer? Sure, a little. When the dodo
peaced out back in the late 1600s, we were like, really? Already? The
party's just getting started! But now when we look around--the oceans
are heating up, the food's running out, and most of our natural
environments are gone--we wonder if maybe the dodo was right to take off
when it did. The vibe is getting kinda weird in here. Not that the last
couple hundred years of rapid industrialization have been all bad for
us, but let's just say the Earth's not quite as fun for us as it used to be.

We don't want to belabor our departure--no one likes a guest who
overstays their welcome--so we'll just do a quick soundoff of who's
heading out soon so you can say a quick toodle-oo: the Bengal tiger,
Amur leopard, hawksbill sea turtle, Chinese giant salamander, Javan
rhinoceros, Sumatran rhinoceros, black rhinoceros, giant panda, vaquita,
eastern gorilla, Sumatran orangutan, Borean orangutan, saola, gharial,
Asian elephant, Philippine crocodile, Chinese pangolin, Malayan tiger,
mountain pygmy possum, Andaman shrew, western swamp turtle, Philippine
forest turtle, Ploughshare tortoise, Cross River gorilla, eastern
lowland gorilla, saola, South China tiger, pika, giant otter, red wolf,
Tasmanian devil, peppered tree frog, northern tinker frog, mountain mist
frog, armored frog, Eungella torrent frog, Sumatran elephant, African
wild donkey, Saiga antelope, giant muntjac, addax, bowhead whale, beluga
whale, Balkan lynx, Asiatic cheetah, gloomy tube-nosed bat, Armenian
whiskered bat, Hill's horseshoe bat, Thongaree's disc-nosed bat, Aru
flying fox, central rock rat, pygmy hog, Gilbert's potoroo, Allan's
lerista, Carpentarian rock rat, Kangaroo Island dunnart, Darwin's fox,
Peruvian black spider monkey, the red wolf, spoon-billed sandpiper,
Siberian crane, Bengal florican, regent honeyeater, orange-bellied
parrot, great Indian bustard, sociable lapwing, white-billed heron,
whooping crane, red-vented cockatoo, Himalayan quail, Hainan
black-crested gibbon, Bulmer's fruit bat, Philippine naked-backed fruit
bat, Fijian monkey-faced bat, Northern white-cheeked gibbon, indri,
Andohahela sportive lemur, Manombo sportive lemur, Sahamalaza sportive
lemur, all the other sportive lemurs, Celebes crested macaque, Pagai
Island macaque, Sarawak surili, kipunji, hirola, tamaraw, wild Bactrian
camel, white-rumped vulture, red-headed vulture, Indian vulture,
slender-billed vulture, longcomb sawfish, Ganges shark, red-finned
blue-eye, finless porpoise, squatina, northern river shark, Pondicherry
shark humphead wrasse, orphan salamander, cloud forest salamander, Monte
Escondido salamander, El Cusuco salamander, Zarciadero web-footed
salamander, Cerro Pital salamander, blue whale, black-footed ferret,
Yangtze finless porpoise, Zapotec salamander, and basically everyone
from the wetlands.

We're definitely missing a bunch who are just slipping out really
quickly without saying farewell. We hope that's okay. You probably won't
even notice they're gone! We're not all leaving yet. Just a lot of us.

But we don't want to go out on a bad note. We have so many wonderful
memories of the pre-Anthropocene era, and we don't want those fond
recollections of vibrant, life-sustaining forests and jungles and
prairies to be forgotten. But it's time for us to mosey on out down the
dusty trail. Sayonara!

Oh, and we hope you don't mind, we're taking most of the plants with us too.
https://www.theonion.com/fda-launches-food-awareness-month-to-get-americans-inte-1834585826

*This Day in Climate History - May 8, 1989 - from D.R. Tucker*
May 8, 1989: The New York Times reports that the Office of Management
and Budget in the George H. W. Bush administration altered NASA climate
scientist James Hansen's upcoming Senate testimony to emphasize alleged
uncertainties in climate science.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/08/us/scientist-says-budget-office-altered-his-testimony.html