[TheClimate.Vote] May 16, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu May 16 08:48:32 EDT 2019

/May 16, 2019/

[NRDC blocks toxic infrastructure]
*New York State Blocks Williams Pipeline*
May 15, 2019 - Rob Friedman
New York State has denied water quality certification for the Williams
Pipeline, also known as the Northeast Supply Enhancement Project, or
NESE.  The Williams pipeline would have transported fracked gas from
Pennsylvania, through New Jersey, crossing under New York Harbor and the
Atlantic Ocean, finally terminating in the Rockaways in New York City.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) denied
the key permit for the project citing its dangerous impacts to New
York's waterways, but this fight is far from being over.
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/rob-friedman/new-york-state-blocks-williams-pipeline
- - -
[press release]
For Release: Wednesday, May 15, 2019
*DEC Statement on Water Quality Certification for Proposed Northeast
Supply Enhancement Pipeline Project*
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today
announced the agency's denial, without prejudice, of the required Clean
Water Act Section 401 Water Quality Certification for the proposed
Northeast Supply Enhancement (NESE) pipeline project. The full decision
is outlined in a letter (PDF) by Daniel Whitehead, Director, Division of
Environmental Permits, DEC.

As currently conceived in the application, construction of the NESE
pipeline project is projected to result in water quality violations and
fails to meet New York State's rigorous water quality standards.
Specifically, construction of the proposed project would result in
significant water quality impacts from the re-suspension of sediments
and other contaminants, including mercury and copper. In addition, the
proposed project would cause impacts to habitats due to the disturbance
of shellfish beds and other benthic resources.

DEC conducted a comprehensive review of the NESE application and
supporting materials, as well as the more than 14,000 public comments