[TheClimate.Vote] November 6, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Nov 6 10:19:13 EST 2019

/November 6, 2019/

[CBC report]
*Elizabeth Warren slams Twitter for a policy that bans ads from groups
fighting climate change*

Under Twitter's new ad rules, environmental groups can't pay to
spread pro-climate policy messages.
But Exxon can pay to spread tweets claiming a widespread political
conspiracy against it, and touting its pro-climate credentials
https://twitter.com/emorwee/status/1191687399547518977

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/05/elizabeth-warren-slams-twitter-for-ban-on-ads-tied-to-climate-change.html

[WaPo]
*More than 11,000 scientists from around the world declare a 'climate
emergency'*
Analysis outlines six major steps that 'must' be taken to address the
situation.
By Andrew Freedman - November 5, 2019
A new report by 11,258 scientists in 153 countries from a broad range of
disciplines warns that the planet "clearly and unequivocally faces a
climate emergency," and provides six broad policy goals that must be met
to address it.

The analysis is a stark departure from recent scientific assessments of
global warming, such as those of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change, in that it does not couch its conclusions in the
language of uncertainties, and it does prescribe policies.

The study, called the "World scientists' warning of a climate
emergency," marks the first time a large group of scientists has
formally come out in favor of labeling climate change an "emergency,"
which the study notes is caused by many human trends that are together
increasing greenhouse gas emissions.

The report, published Tuesday in the journal Bioscience, was spearheaded
by the ecologists Bill Ripple and Christopher Wolf of Oregon State
University, along with William Moomaw, a Tufts University climate
scientist, and researchers in Australia and South Africa...
- - -
The paper bases its conclusions on a set of easy-to-understand
indicators that show the human influence on climate, such as 40 years of
greenhouse gas emissions, economic trends, population growth rates, per
capita meat production, and global tree cover loss, as well as
consequences, such as global temperature trends and ocean heat content...
Other items on the study's list of policy priorities include quickly
cutting emissions of short-lived climate pollutants, such as soot and
methane, which could slow short-term warming. The study also calls for a
shift to eating mostly plant-based foods and instituting agricultural
practices that increase the amount of carbon the soil absorbs. On the
economy, the study states that improving long-term sustainability and
reducing inequality should be prioritized over growing wealth, as
measured using gross domestic product. The authors also advocate for
policies that would curtail biodiversity loss and the destruction of
forests, and they recommend prioritizing the preservation of intact
forests that store carbon along with other lands that can rapidly bury
carbon, thereby reducing global warming.

"This is a document that establishes a clear record of the broad
consensus among most scientists active at this point in history that the
climate crisis is real, and is a major, even existential, threat to
human societies, human well-being, and biodiversity," said Jesse
Bellemare, an associate professor of biology at Smith College who is a
signatory of the study's emergency declaration.

He said via email that the presence of so many biologists and ecologists
on the list of signatories may reflect the fact that they are observing
so many changes from an amount of climate change much smaller than what
is projected for the future.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/11/05/more-than-scientists-around-world-declare-climate-emergency/
- - -
[Read the report]
*World Scientists' Warning to Humanity: A Second Notice*
https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article/67/12/1026/4605229?searchresult=1

[From the Atomic Scientists]
*Trump to Paris Agreement: Drop dead*
https://thebulletin.org/2019/11/trump-to-paris-agreement-drop-dead/

- - -

[Opinion from a top D candidate]
*A climate denier-in-chief sits in the White House today. But not for long*
Elizabeth Warren
The next president must rejoin the Paris agreement and show the world
that the United States is ready to lead on the international stage again

President Trump has now fulfilled his disastrous promise to pull the
United States out of the Paris Climate Agreement. The agreement
represents decades of work by both Democratic and Republican
administrations to achieve a common goal: bringing every country of the
world together to tackle the climate crisis, the existential threat of
our time.

President Trump surprised no one with his decision to withdraw from the
agreement. It is yet another reckless choice in line with his steps to
rollback our bedrock environmental laws, which have cleaned up our water
and our air for decades. But that doesn't minimize the gravity of his
latest move. Trump is not only ceding American leadership at a critical
juncture in the fight against climate change, he's also giving away
American jobs in the clean energy economy of the future - walking away
from the greatest economic opportunity of our time.

The science is clear: the costs of climate change are even greater than
we thought. In fact, a report released last year by Trump's own
government found that by the end of the century climate change will cost
the American economy hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of
lives every year. We are already seeing the cost of inaction here at
home - bigger wildfires in California, record flooding in the Midwest
and stronger hurricanes from Houston to New Orleans. And the global
costs are even greater: climate change is making already unstable
governments even less so, fueling international conflicts, and creating
climate refugees around the world. It's also spreading diseases into new
parts of the world, costing more lives. With each passing year, the
climate crisis wreaks greater havoc.

But instead of acting to protect American lives and creating good paying
jobs, we have let Big Oil set our climate policy in Washington. These
companies spent three decades deceiving the public about the climate
crisis, spreading lies and misinformation through their lobbyists. With
Donald Trump in the White House, they now have a climate denier in chief.

President Trump continues to peddle lies about the climate crisis, while
he lets big polluters go back to poisoning our air and water. He falsely
claims that complying with the Paris Agreement would cost Americans
"billions of dollars and put millions of jobs at risk for no meaningful
reduction of emissions." This couldn't be further from the truth. The
World Bank estimates that the Paris Agreement created a $23tn investment
opportunity over the next decade in just the top 20 developing
countries. As these countries move toward 100% clean energy, and other
countries of the world join them, markets for America's clean energy
innovation will only expand.

My Green Manufacturing Plan will jumpstart clean energy development
right here in the United States by investing $2tn to grow clean energy
at home and abroad, while creating millions of new, good paying, union
jobs. And my Green Marshall Plan would directly assist countries abroad
to buy American-made clean energy products, further expanding markets
for green manufacturing.

The next president must rejoin the Paris Agreement, but that alone is
not enough. Instead, she must show the world that the United States is
ready to once again lead on the international stage. The first step is
to submit a new US commitment under Paris raising our previous target to
achieve rapid emission reductions. I have a plan for that. Next, we must
encourage other nations like China and India to step up in this fight
alongside us. And climate change must be an organizing principle in
American diplomacy. That means whether it's negotiating new trade
agreements or addressing security threats, my administration will
consider the impacts of climate change as we make foreign policy decisions.

The world is facing one of the biggest threats we have ever encountered.
But Americans do not walk away from a fight. We lead. In November 2020,
it won't just be Donald Trump on the ballot but also the chance to renew
America's climate leadership for a safer, cleaner, more secure and more
prosperous future.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/05/elizabeth-warren-donald-trump-climate-leadership

[Rolling Stone has a great interview here]
*Jay Inslee Isn't Going Away*
The Washington governor may be out of the 2020 race, but his ideas are
shaping the future of climate policy
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/jay-inslee-climate-plan-influence-902461/

[Observation]
*3 Months ago Trump offered Putin help w Fires in Siberia but not Cal -
Trump's Russia First policy*
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/11/3/1897018/-3-Months-ago-Trump-offered-Putin-help-w-Fires-in-Siberia-but-not-Cal-Trump-s-Russia-First-policy

["OK Boomer" putdown in New Zealand Parliament]
*'OK, boomer': 25-year-old lawmaker shuts down heckler during climate
change speech*
see the video
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/world/ok-boomer-new-zealand-lawmaker-chides-older-colleague/2019/11/05/9bcb6a9c-b54e-48bd-af7a-a7efb0476992_video.html
  "OK, boomer," she said, then continued her remarks.

The glib retort -- often employed by millennials and Gen Z -- has become
global shorthand, a withering reply to condescension from older
generations, notably, baby boomers. The viral phrase has also been
labeled the latest shot fired in an escalating generation war, in which
the front lines are social media comment sections and relations have
frayed over issues such as student loan debt and climate change.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2019/11/05/ok-boomer-year-old-lawmaker-shuts-down-heckler-during-climate-change-speech/

[more heat, more ticks]
*I**llness linked to tick bite kills ex-N. Carolina Sen. Kay Hagan at 66*
Oct. 28, 2019 - By Adam Edelman
Hagan died after a three-year battle with encephalitis, which had been
caused by Powassan virus, her family said.
Former North Carolina Sen. Kay Hagan died Monday at the age of 66, NBC
News has confirmed.

Hagan, a Democrat, served one term in the Senate from 2009 to 2015 after
defeating Republican Sen. Elizabeth Dole in 2008. She lost her seat in
her first re-election race, in 2014, to Thom Tillis. Prior to her time
in Congress, she served a decade in the North Carolina state Senate.

In a statement to NBC News, Hagan's family said Hagan had died after a
three-year battle with encephalitis, a brain inflammation that can be fatal.

"We are heartbroken to share that Kay left us unexpectedly this
morning," the Hagan family said in a statement. "We are deeply grateful
for the support shared with our family as Kay worked to regain her
strength these last few years after her illness, and we appreciate your
continued prayers."

Hagan had been diagnosed in 2016 with Powassan virus. That virus is
known to cause encephalitis and is transmitted to humans by ticks. There
is no cure for the virus.

According to the Associated Press, Hagan spent time in January 2017 at
an Atlanta rehabilitation center after being diagnosed with the virus.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/former-north-carolina-sen-kay-hagan-dead-66-n1072891
- - -
[CDC lists way too many]
*Tickborne Diseases of the United States*
In the United States, some ticks carry pathogens that can cause human
disease, including:

- Anaplasmosis is transmitted to humans by tick bites primarily from
the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) in the northeastern and
upper midwestern U.S. and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes
pacificus) along the Pacific coast.
- Babesiosis is caused by microscopic parasites that infect red
blood cells. Most human cases of babesiosis in the U.S. are caused
by Babesia microti. Babesia microti is transmitted by the
blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis) and is found primarily in the
northeast and upper midwest.
-Borrelia mayonii infection has recently been described as a cause
of illness in the upper midwestern United States. It has been found
in blacklegged ticks (Ixodes scapularis) in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Borrelia mayonii is a new species and is the only species besides B.
burgdorferi known to cause Lyme disease in North America.
- Borrelia miyamotoi infection has recently been described as a
cause of illness in the U.S. It is transmitted by the blacklegged
tick (Ixodes scapularis) and has a range similar to that of Lyme
disease.
- Bourbon virus infection has been identified in a limited number
patients in the Midwest and southern United States. At this time, we
do not know if the virus might be found in other areas of the United
States.
- Colorado tick fever is caused by a virus transmitted by the Rocky
Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni). It occurs in the the
Rocky Mountain states at elevations of 4,000 to 10,500 feet.
- Ehrlichiosis is transmitted to humans by the lone star tick
(Ambylomma americanum), found primarily in the southcentral and
eastern U.S.
- Heartland virus cases have been identified in the Midwestern and
southern United States. Studies suggest that Lone Star ticks can
transmit the virus. It is unknown if the virus may be found in other
areas of the U.S.
- Lyme disease is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes
scapularis) in the northeastern U.S. and upper midwestern U.S. and
the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) along the Pacific coast.
- Powassan disease is transmitted by the blacklegged tick (Ixodes
scapularis) and the groundhog tick (Ixodes cookei). Cases have been
reported primarily from northeastern states and the Great Lakes region.
- Rickettsia parkeri rickettsiosis is transmitted to humans by the
Gulf Coast tick (Amblyomma maculatum).
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF) is transmitted by the American
dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), Rocky Mountain wood tick
(Dermacentor andersoni), and the brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus
sangunineus) in the U.S. The brown dog tick and other tick species
are associated with RMSF in Central and South America.
- STARI (Southern tick-associated rash illness) is transmitted via
bites from the lone star tick (Ambylomma americanum), found in the
southeastern and eastern U.S.
- Tickborne relapsing fever (TBRF) is transmitted to humans through
the bite of infected soft ticks. TBRF has been reported in 15
states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Montana,
Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington,
and Wyoming and is associated with sleeping in rustic cabins and
vacation homes.
- Tularemia is transmitted to humans by the dog tick (Dermacentor
variabilis), the wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and the lone
star tick (Amblyomma americanum). Tularemia occurs throughout the U.S.
- 364D rickettsiosis (Rickettsia phillipi, proposed) is transmitted
to humans by the Pacific Coast tick (Dermacentor occidentalis
ticks). This is a new disease that has been found in California.

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/index.html
- -
[more than you may want to know about the rate of increase]
*Trends in tickborne diseases*
2019 HHS joint webinar: Emerging Issues in Tickborne Diseases
Video Lectures:

*HHS Working Group on Lyme and Other Tickborne Diseases: Emerging
Issues in Tickborne Disease 6/13/19*
https://youtu.be/7Ln24A576Pg
--
*2016 HHS joint webinar: Trends in Tickborne Diseases*
https://youtu.be/p6ZlEcaJDrw

Content source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National
Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID), Division
of Vector-Borne Diseases (DVBD)
https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/trends.html
- -
[check everywhere, get tweezers]
*Tick Removal*
Removing a tick
If you find a tick attached to your skin, there's no need to panic--the
key is to remove the tick as soon as possible. There are several tick
removal devices on the market, but a plain set of fine-tipped tweezers
work very well.

*How to remove a tick*
Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin's
surface as possible.
Pull upward with steady, even pressure. Don't twist or jerk the
tick; this can cause the mouth-parts to break off and remain in the
skin. If this happens, remove the mouth-parts with tweezers. If you
are unable to remove the mouth easily with clean tweezers, leave it
alone and let the skin heal.
After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your
hands with rubbing alcohol or soap and water.
Never crush a tick with your fingers. Dispose of a live tick by
putting it in alcohol, placing it in a sealed bag/container,
wrapping it tightly in tape, or flushing it down the toilet.
clipart - https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/images/removal-ab.jpg - style
image showing the proper removal of a tick using a pair of tweezers