[TheClimate.Vote] November 7, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest..

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Nov 7 11:31:52 EST 2019

/November 7, 2019/

[from THE CENTER FOR CLIMATE & SECURITY]
*The Security Implications of Omitting Climate Change from Federal Water
Availability Forecasts*
- - -
The Army is the executive agent for all land-based water. It is
responsible for "all aspects of land-based water support for the
Military Services during contingency operations, including water
selection, pumping, purification, storage, distribution, cooling,
consumption, water reuse, water source intelligence, research and
development, acquisition of water support equipment, water support
operations doctrine, human factors requirements, training, and water
support force structure."

With the doctrinal connection between installations and operations and
the Army's role as executive agent for all land-based water,
incorporating climate change into water availability planning is
essential to understand if mission requirements can be met both now and
in the future. Water availability planning includes not only estimating
water volumes, sources, and quality needed, but all the equipment and
infrastructure to acquire, treat, store, deliver, reuse, and dispose, if
necessary, to support the Joint Force, and ultimately, the National
Defense Strategy.

Other strategic plans also omit climate change
This action plan is not alone, however. As I wrote previously, the
interagency National Drought Resilience Partnership (NDRP) also
inexplicably omits climate change - a critical factor for drought
forecasting and planning. Further, the Department of Commerce's
strategic plan and the Department of Interior's strategic plans, which
should be the parent plans for this action plan, also omit climate
change and its' effects on water availability. In short, a number of
U.S. government plans dealing with water issues that have been released
in 2019 are missing attention to climate change. This is a worrying
development, to say the least.

Conclusion
Without consideration of climate change in this water forecast action
plan, understanding of water availability across the breadth of U.S.
national interests cannot occur. You can't plan for risks that you're
ignoring. Individual actions, in this context, will bee disconnected
from a comprehensive and complete understanding of the risks. Climate
change data is readily available, widely shared and regularly reported
on by many different outlets. We can see the risks coming. Deliberately
ignoring that information creates a blind-spot on water availability in
the U.S. That keeps the U.S. population who relies on that water
uniformed about the risks to their families, homes, and livelihoods, as
well as to the military that defends them.
https://climateandsecurity.org/2019/11/06/the-security-implications-of-omitting-climate-change-from-federal-water-availability-forecasts/

[concluding words]
*In its Insatiable Pursuit of Power, Silicon Valley is Fuelling the
Climate Crisis*
By Rebecca Solnit - November 5, 2019
- - -
Human beings are at their worst when they are consumers, locked into the
miserable pursuit of satisfaction through the isolation of individual
consumption - particularly when that shopping and consuming is done
online (and when, as with Instagram, we learn to turn ourselves into
commodities). Though many have used technology to further democracy and
participation, big tech doesn't want us to be citizens. It wants us to
be consumers. To address the climate crisis we need to be citizens -
free, powerful, with our private lives private and our public lives
vivid, energised and safe.

If we do what the climate requires of us we will decentralise energy
production, breaking up the fossil fuel companies and oligarchies and
building solar and wind and other renewable technologies that use
resources that belong to no one and everyone. The beautiful underlying
metaphor here is that decentralising literal power - as the juice that
runs our machines - can and should mean decentralising social and
political power. But big tech has been about consolidation of power, and
it has created a new billionaire class that advocates in its own
self-interest and against those of the deep future and the broad
majority. It has chosen to be the problem rather than the solution.
https://www.resilience.org/stories/2019-11-05/in-its-insatiable-pursuit-of-power-silicon-valley-is-fuelling-the-climate-crisis/

[reviling the vile]
*Trump Isn't a Climate Denier. He's Worse.*
The president is withdrawing the U.S. from the Paris Agreement on
climate change because he just can't quit carbon.
ROBINSON MEYER - NOV 5, 2019

The United States began the formal process of leaving the Paris
Agreement on climate change yesterday, withdrawing on the first day it
was legally possible. Barring something unforeseen, the country will
depart the accord on November 4, 2020--a day after the next presidential
election.
- - -
Trump's political opponents--and, sometimes, the press--often term him a
"climate-change denier." But in a way, this term actually flatters him.
His stated views about climate science are far too messy and
opportunistic to bear any coherent label. Here is a man who can tell New
York Times editors that "there is some connectivity" between human
activity and climate change and, two years later, say that "people like
myself, we have very high levels of intelligence, but we're not
necessarily such believers," before finally proclaiming during a
snowstorm that it "wouldn't be bad to have some of that good old
fashioned Global Warming right now!"
- - -
No, when Trump pulls America out of the Paris Agreement, he is
responding to a different ideology: carbonism. For Trump, carbonism is a
powerfully economic and cultural idea. Think of the carbon in carbonism
as akin to the nation in nationalism: It implies a founding myth, a
powerful worldview, a theory of value, and a prophecy. But it is, at
heart, a simple idea. Carbonism is a belief that fossil fuels--which
send carbon pollution spewing into the atmosphere, accelerating climate
change and ocean acidification--have inherent virtue. That they are
better, in fact, than other energy sources.

When the Trump administration replaces the Obama-era Clean Power Plan
with a new rule that may actually increase pollution, that's carbonism.
When Perry tried to get Americans to subsidize failing coal plants
through their power bills, that's carbonism. When the EPA fights to
allow the free venting of methane and other greenhouse gases into the
atmosphere, that's carbonism. When the EPA fights to let coal plants
have an easier time spewing heavy metals and other neurotoxins into the
atmosphere, that's carbonism.
- - -
Here we can see the deeper logic of carbonism: that carbon pollution
imposes no hard limit on human flourishing, that through the exclusive
magic of fossil fuels, society can effortlessly solve any problem.
Sometimes these arguments are rooted in accurate understandings of
historical progress. Fossil fuels really did make modern excess
possible, improving the living standard of hundreds of millions of
people. But now that it's time to move away from fossil fuels,
carbonists become desperately anti-progress, or they reuse old arguments
in bizarre new ways. Hence Perry's 2017 claim that fossil fuels somehow
reduce sexual assault in "those villages in Africa."..
- - -
There's a standard line here: that when the United States withdraws from
the Paris Agreement and treaties like it, it damages American
credibility abroad. Such a concern feels a little blasé in the wake of
our betrayal of the Kurds. If you help us fight the Islamic State and we
abandon you, why should anyone trust us over a climate treaty?

The damage to American credibility has, to some degree, already been
done. The real risk now is to American power. One day, perhaps not long
from now, a few global governments will decide that the age of carbon is
over. They will back massive investments into remaking the global energy
economy, redirecting the turbulent flows of international finance. If
the United States is not among those governments, then American
banks--whose wealth is deeply bound to fossil fuels--will suffer a
sudden revaluation. And the mighty dollar, that last guarantor of
American power, will go up in carbonism's flame.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/11/ideology-behind-donald-trumps-paris-withdrawal/601462/

[11,000 scientists sign on]
*World Scientists' Warning of a Climate Emergency *
William J Ripple, Christopher Wolf, Thomas M Newsome, Phoebe Barnard,
William R Moomaw Author Notes
BioScience, biz088, https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/biz088
Published: 05 November 2019

Scientists have a moral obligation to clearly warn humanity of any
catastrophic threat and to "tell it like it is." On the basis of this
obligation and the graphical indicators presented below, we declare,
with more than 11,000 scientist signatories from around the world,
clearly and unequivocally that planet Earth is facing a climate emergency.

Exactly 40 years ago, scientists from 50 nations met at the First World
Climate Conference (in Geneva 1979) and agreed that alarming trends for
climate change made it urgently necessary to act. Since then, similar
alarms have been made through the 1992 Rio Summit, the 1997 Kyoto
Protocol, and the 2015 Paris Agreement, as well as scores of other
global assemblies and scientists' explicit warnings of insufficient
progress (Ripple et al. 2017). Yet greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions are
still rapidly rising, with increasingly damaging effects on the Earth's
climate. An immense increase of scale in endeavors to conserve our
biosphere is needed to avoid untold suffering due to the climate crisis
(IPCC 2018).

Most public discussions on climate change are based on global surface
temperature only, an inadequate measure to capture the breadth of human
activities and the real dangers stemming from a warming planet (Briggs
et al. 2015). Policymakers and the public now urgently need access to a
set of indicators that convey the effects of human activities on GHG
emissions and the consequent impacts on climate, our environment, and
society. Building on prior work (see supplemental file S2), we present a
suite of graphical vital signs of climate change over the last 40 years
for human activities that can affect GHG emissions and change the
climate (figure 1), as well as actual climatic impacts (figure 2). We
use only relevant data sets that are clear, understandable,
systematically collected for at least the last 5 years, and updated at
least annually.

https://academic.oup.com/view-large/figure/165912517/biz088fig1.jpg
https://academic.oup.com/view-large/figure/165912518/biz088fig2.jpg

The climate crisis is closely linked to excessive consumption of the
wealthy lifestyle. The most affluent countries are mainly responsible
for the historical GHG emissions and generally have the greatest per
capita emissions (table S1). In the present article, we show general
patterns, mostly at the global scale, because there are many climate
efforts that involve individual regions and countries. Our vital signs
are designed to be useful to the public, policymakers, the business
community, and those working to implement the Paris climate agreement,
the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals, and the Aichi
Biodiversity Targets.

Profoundly troubling signs from human activities include sustained
increases in both human and ruminant livestock populations, per capita
meat production, world gross domestic product, global tree cover loss,
fossil fuel consumption, the number of air passengers carried, carbon
dioxide (CO2) emissions, and per capita CO2 emissions since 2000 (figure
1, supplemental file S2). Encouraging signs include decreases in global
fertility (birth) rates (figure 1b), decelerated forest loss in the
Brazilian Amazon (figure 1g), increases in the consumption of solar and
wind power (figure 1h), institutional fossil fuel divestment of more
than US$7 trillion (figure 1j), and the proportion of GHG emissions
covered by carbon pricing (figure 1m). However, the decline in human
fertility rates has substantially slowed during the last 20 years
(figure 1b), and the pace of forest loss in Brazil's Amazon has now
started to increase again (figure 1g). Consumption of solar and wind
energy has increased 373% per decade, but in 2018, it was still 28 times
smaller than fossil fuel consumption (combined gas, coal, oil; figure
1h). As of 2018, approximately 14.0% of global GHG emissions were
covered by carbon pricing (figure 1m), but the global emissions-weighted
average price per tonne of carbon dioxide was only around US$15.25
(figure 1n). A much higher carbon fee price is needed (IPCC 2018,
section 2.5.2.1). Annual fossil fuel subsidies to energy companies have
been fluctuating, and because of a recent spike, they were greater than
US$400 billion in 2018 (figure 1o).

Especially disturbing are concurrent trends in the vital signs of
climatic impacts (figure 2, supplemental file S2). Three abundant
atmospheric GHGs (CO2, methane, and nitrous oxide) continue to increase
(see figure S1 for ominous 2019 spike in CO2), as does global surface
temperature (figure 2a-2d). Globally, ice has been rapidly disappearing,
evidenced by declining trends in minimum summer Arctic sea ice,
Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, and glacier thickness worldwide
(figure 2e-2h). Ocean heat content, ocean acidity, sea level, area
burned in the United States, and extreme weather and associated damage
costs have all been trending upward (figure 2i-2n). Climate change is
predicted to greatly affect marine, freshwater, and terrestrial life,
from plankton and corals to fishes and forests (IPCC 2018, 2019). These
issues highlight the urgent need for action.

Despite 40 years of global climate negotiations, with few exceptions, we
have generally conducted business as usual and have largely failed to
address this predicament (figure 1). The climate crisis has arrived and
is accelerating faster than most scientists expected (figure 2, IPCC
2018). It is more severe than anticipated, threatening natural
ecosystems and the fate of humanity (IPCC 2019). Especially worrisome
are potential irreversible climate tipping points and nature's
reinforcing feedbacks (atmospheric, marine, and terrestrial) that could
lead to a catastrophic "hothouse Earth," well beyond the control of
humans (Steffen et al. 2018). These climate chain reactions could cause
significant disruptions to ecosystems, society, and economies,
potentially making large areas of Earth uninhabitable.

To secure a sustainable future, we must change how we live, in ways that
improve the vital signs summarized by our graphs. Economic and
population growth are among the most important drivers of increases in
CO2 emissions from fossil fuel combustion (Pachauri et al. 2014,
Bongaarts and O'Neill 2018); therefore, we need bold and drastic
transformations regarding economic and population policies. We suggest
six critical and interrelated steps (in no particular order) that
governments, businesses, and the rest of humanity can take to lessen the
worst effects of climate change. These are important steps but are not
the only actions needed or possible (Pachauri et al. 2014, IPCC 2018, 2019).

Energy
The world must quickly implement massive energy efficiency and
conservation practices and must replace fossil fuels with low-carbon
renewables (figure 1h) and other cleaner sources of energy if safe for
people and the environment (figure S2). We should leave remaining stocks
of fossil fuels in the ground (see the timelines in IPCC 2018) and
should carefully pursue effective negative emissions using technology
such as carbon extraction from the source and capture from the air and
especially by enhancing natural systems (see "Nature" section).
Wealthier countries need to support poorer nations in transitioning away
from fossil fuels. We must swiftly eliminate subsidies for fossil fuels
(figure 1o) and use effective and fair policies for steadily escalating
carbon prices to restrain their use.

Short-lived pollutants
We need to promptly reduce the emissions of short-lived climate
pollutants, including methane (figure 2b), black carbon (soot), and
hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs). Doing this could slow climate feedback loops
and potentially reduce the short-term warming trend by more than 50%
over the next few decades while saving millions of lives and increasing
crop yields due to reduced air pollution (Shindell et al. 2017). The
2016 Kigali amendment to phase down HFCs is welcomed.

Nature
We must protect and restore Earth's ecosystems. Phytoplankton, coral
reefs, forests, savannas, grasslands, wetlands, peatlands, soils,
mangroves, and sea grasses contribute greatly to sequestration of
atmospheric CO2. Marine and terrestrial plants, animals, and
microorganisms play significant roles in carbon and nutrient cycling and
storage. We need to quickly curtail habitat and biodiversity loss
(figure 1f-1g), protecting the remaining primary and intact forests,
especially those with high carbon stores and other forests with the
capacity to rapidly sequester carbon (proforestation), while increasing
reforestation and afforestation where appropriate at enormous scales.
Although available land may be limiting in places, up to a third of
emissions reductions needed by 2030 for the Paris agreement (less than
2°C) could be obtained with these natural climate solutions (Griscom et
al. 2017).

Food
Eating mostly plant-based foods while reducing the global consumption of
animal products (figure 1c-d), especially ruminant livestock (Ripple et
al. 2014), can improve human health and significantly lower GHG
emissions (including methane in the "Short-lived pollutants" step).
Moreover, this will free up croplands for growing much-needed human
plant food instead of livestock feed, while releasing some grazing land
to support natural climate solutions (see "Nature" section). Cropping
practices such as minimum tillage that increase soil carbon are vitally
important. We need to drastically reduce the enormous amount of food
waste around the world.

Economy
Excessive extraction of materials and overexploitation of ecosystems,
driven by economic growth, must be quickly curtailed to maintain
long-term sustainability of the biosphere. We need a carbon-free economy
that explicitly addresses human dependence on the biosphere and policies
that guide economic decisions accordingly. Our goals need to shift from
GDP growth and the pursuit of affluence toward sustaining ecosystems and
improving human well-being by prioritizing basic needs and reducing
inequality.

Population
Still increasing by roughly 80 million people per year, or more than
200,000 per day (figure 1a-b), the world population must be
stabilized--and, ideally, gradually reduced--within a framework that
ensures social integrity. There are proven and effective policies that
strengthen human rights while lowering fertility rates and lessening the
impacts of population growth on GHG emissions and biodiversity loss.
These policies make family-planning services available to all people,
remove barriers to their access and achieve full gender equity,
including primary and secondary education as a global norm for all,
especially girls and young women (Bongaarts and O'Neill 2018).

*Conclusions*
Mitigating and adapting to climate change while honoring the diversity
of humans entails major transformations in the ways our global society
functions and interacts with natural ecosystems. We are encouraged by a
recent surge of concern. Governmental bodies are making climate
emergency declarations. Schoolchildren are striking. Ecocide lawsuits
are proceeding in the courts. Grassroots citizen movements are demanding
change, and many countries, states and provinces, cities, and businesses
are responding.

As the Alliance of World Scientists, we stand ready to assist
decision-makers in a just transition to a sustainable and equitable
future. We urge widespread use of vital signs, which will better allow
policymakers, the private sector, and the public to understand the
magnitude of this crisis, track progress, and realign priorities for
alleviating climate change. The good news is that such transformative
change, with social and economic justice for all, promises far greater
human well-being than does business as usual. We believe that the
prospects will be greatest if decision-makers and all of humanity
promptly respond to this warning and declaration of a climate emergency
and act to sustain life on planet Earth, our only home.
PDF
https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/advance-article-pdf/doi/10.1093/biosci/biz088/30339339/biz088.pdf

https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/advance-article/doi/10.1093/biosci/biz088/5610806?searchresult=1

[You can fight reality, but eventually you will lose]
*Delhi air pollution: Environmental crisis must be seen in conjunction
with politics for effective solutions*
IF THINGS CONTINUE IN THE PRESENT MANNER, INDIA WILL HAVE ALL THE TOP 10
SLOTS FOR THE MOST POLLUTED CITIES IN THE WORLD; DELHI, DESPITE ITS
INTERNATIONAL INFAMY IN THE GLOBAL HALL OF POLLUTION, IS NOT EVEN IN THE
TOP 10 IN INDIA ITSELF, JUDGING BY CENTRAL POLLUTION CONTROL BOARD DATA
The pollution problem in North India is not a technology problem or an
agriculture problem, or even a traffic problem
The solution must be sought in changing economic incentives for farmers
in North India to get out of their bad habits
We have almost reached the point where the air will similarly become a
commodity...
https://www.sixdegreesnews.org/archives/27552/delhi-air-pollution-environmental-crisis-must-be-seen-in-conjunction-with-politics-for-effective-solutions

[from the archive, a 1965 warning]
*'Time is Running Out,' American Petroleum Institute Chief Said in 1965
Speech on Climate Change*
By Sharon Kelly - posted November 20, 2018
The warning is clear and dire -- and the source unexpected. "This report
unquestionably will fan emotions, raise fears, and bring demand for
action," the president of the American Petroleum Institute (API) told an
oil industry conference, as he described research into climate change
caused by fossil fuels.

"The substance of the report is that there is still time to save the
world's peoples from the catastrophic consequence of pollution, but time
is running out."

The speaker wasn't Mike Sommers, who was named to helm API this past
May. Nor was it Jack Gerard, who served as API's president for roughly a
decade starting in 2008.

The API president speaking those words was named Frank Ikard -- and the
year was 1965, over a half-century ago.

It was the same year that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. led a civil rights
march from Selma to Montgomery, Muhammad Ali felled Sonny Liston in the
first round, and Malcom X was fatally shot in New York. The first
American ground combat troops arrived in Vietnam and President Lyndon B.
Johnson signed the law establishing Medicaid and Medicare.

It would be another four years before American astronaut Neil Armstrong
first set foot on the moon -- and another decade before the phrase
"global warming" would appear for the first time in a peer-reviewed study.

And 1965, according to a letter by Stanford historian Benjamin Franta
published this week in the peer-reviewed journal Nature, was the year
that President Johnson's Science Advisory Committee published a report
titled "Restoring the Quality of Our Environment," whose findings Ikard
described at that year's annual API meeting.

"One of the most important predictions of the report is that carbon
dioxide is being added to the Earth's atmosphere by the burning of coal,
oil, and natural gas at such a rate that by the year 2000 the heat
balance will be so modified as possibly to cause marked changes in
climate beyond local or even national efforts," Ikard presciently added,
according to excerpts from his speech published in Nature...

API Funded Early Research Linking CO2 and Fossil Fuels
That prediction was based in part on information that was known to the
oil industry trade group for over a decade -- including research that
was directly funded by the API, according to Nature.

In 1954, a California Institute of Technology geochemist sent the API a
research proposal in which they reported that fossil fuels had already
caused carbon dioxide (CO2) levels to rise roughly five percent since
1854 -- a finding that Nature notes has since proved to be accurate.

API accepted the proposal and funded that Caltech research, giving the
program the name Project 53. Project 53 collected thousands of CO2
measurements -- but the results were never published.

Meanwhile, other researchers were reaching similar conclusions. Nuclear
physicist Edward Teller became known in 1951 as the "father of the
hydrogen bomb" for designing a thermonuclear bomb that was even more
powerful than the atomic bombs dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Teller
warned the oil and gas industry in 1959 about global warming and sea
level rise in a talk titled "Energy Patterns of the Future."

"Carbon dioxide has a strange property," Teller said in excerpts
published earlier this year by The Guardian. "It transmits visible light
but it absorbs the infrared radiation which is emitted from the earth.
Its presence in the atmosphere causes a greenhouse effect."

A researcher at Humble Oil Co. (now known as ExxonMobil) checked results
from a study of carbon isotopes in tree rings against the unpublished
Caltech results, and found that the two separate methods essentially agreed.

*What the Oil Industry Knew, Then and Now*
In his 1965 talk, the API's Ikard described the role of oil and gasoline
specifically in causing climate change. "The report further states, and
I quote: '…the pollution from internal combustion engines is so serious,
and is growing so fast,'" he told the API conference, "'that an
alternative nonpolluting means of powering automobiles, buses, and
trucks is likely to become a national necessity.'"

Three decades later, the API urged a different approach to climate
science. "It's not known for sure whether (a) climate change actually is
occurring, or (b) if it is, whether humans really have any influence on
it," the API wrote in a 1998 draft memo titled "Global Climate Science
Communications Plan," which was subsequently leaked...
https://www.desmogblog.com/2018/11/20/american-petroleum-institute-1965-speech-climate-change-oil-gas

[Heavy planetary science and philosophy video that relates to global
warming]
*Why We Might Be Alone in the Universe*
Nov 4, 2019
PBS Space Time
Why does it appear, that humanity is the lone intelligence in the
universe? The answer might be that  planet Earth is more unique than
we've previously assumed. The rare earth hypothesis posits exactly this
- that a range of factors made Earth exceptionally unusual and uniquely
able to produce intelligent life.

In upcoming episodes we'll be exploring the anthropic principle and its
two main versions - the strong and the weak anthropic principles. The
strong anthropic principle tells us that the observed universe must be
able to produce observers - including the contentious idea that this
predicts the existence of universes beyond our own. But in today's
episode we're going to focus on the weak anthropic principle. It says
that we must find ourselves in a part of the universe capable of
supporting us. For example, in a planetary biosphere rather than
floating in the void between the galaxies. This may seems tautological,
but accounting for this observer selection bias is important to
understanding why the universe looks the way it does from our
perspective. And the weak anthropic principle is much more useful than
that. When combined with the apparent absence of alien civilizations, it
may tell us why intelligent life is incredibly rare in our universe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wa1l7M5gU8

*This Day in Climate History - November 7, 2012 - from D.R. Tucker*
The 350.org "Do the Math" tour commences in Seattle.
http://www.desmogblog.com/2012/11/08/bill-mckibben-kicks-do-math-tour-seattle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdJRb7yaWY