[TheClimate.Vote] December 17, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Dec 17 10:08:57 EST 2020

/*December 17, 2020*/

[Follow the money]
*Federal Reserve joins global group focused on fighting climate change*
DEC 16 2020
With average temperatures climbing and severe weather events happening
more frequently, the Fed is increasing its consideration of how
environmental shifts could create risk for the financial sector.
In its most recent financial stability report, the Fed included a
section dedicated to the issue of climate change...
- -
The Federal Reserve Board announced on Tuesday that it has formally
joined the Network of Central Banks and Supervisors for Greening the
Financial System, or NGFS, as a member. By bringing together central
banks and supervisory authorities from around the world, NGFS supports
the exchange of ideas, research, and best practices on the development
of environment and climate risk management for the financial sector. The
Board began participating in NGFS discussions and activities more than a
year ago.

"As we develop our understanding of how best to assess the impact of
climate change on the financial system, we look forward to continuing
and deepening our discussions with our NGFS colleagues from around the
world," said Federal Reserve Board Chair Jerome H. Powell...
The letter also expressed concern that introducing climate-change
aspects into those measurements could have a chilling effect on banks’
willingness to extend credit to industries such as coal, oil and gas.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/16/fed-makes-move-that-signals-growing-focus-on-climate-change-risk.html

- -

[press release]
December 15, 2020
*Federal Reserve Board announces it has formally joined the Network of
[...]

“This news ... is a clear indication that the agency is acknowledging
its role in addressing the systemic risk of climate change,” said Steven
Rothstein, managing director of the group, in a statement.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/bcreg20201215a.htm

[new data category]
*UK: Air pollution listed as cause of 9-year-old's death*
A British coroner has ruled that excessive air pollution from traffic
fumes contributed to the death of a 9-year-old girl who died of a fatal
asthma attack
LONDON -- A British coroner ruled Wednesday that excessive air pollution
from traffic fumes contributed to the death of a 9-year-old girl who
died of a fatal asthma attack. The girl is believed to be the first
person in the U.K. to have air pollution listed as the cause of death on
their death certificate...

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/uk-air-pollution-listed-year-olds-death-74760756

- -

[perhaps the biggest in all history]
*The Great Smog of 1952*
For five days in December 1952, the Great Smog of London smothered the
city, wreaking havoc and killing thousands.
- -
The smog was so dense that residents in some sections of the city were
unable to see their feet as they walked. For five days, the Great Smog
paralyzed London and crippled all transportation, except for the London
Underground train system.
https://www.history.com/news/the-killer-fog-that-blanketed-london-60-years-ago

[from history - helping to transcribe weather data]

*Old Weather*
Help scientists transcribe Arctic and worldwide weather observations
recorded in ship's logs since the mid-19th century.
First voyage  Zooniverse projects

Old Weather: WWII Recover hidden weather data collected by the Navy
during World War II
The deep  More challenging projects
Old Weather: Whaling Explore the Arctic of the past from the deck of a
whaling ship

Old Weather: Arctic Rediscover the historic Arctic voyages of the U.S.
Navy and Coast Guard

*The Project*
Old Weather volunteers explore, mark, and transcribe historic ship's
logs from the 19th and early 20th centuries. We need your help because
this task is impossible for computers, due to diverse and idiosyncratic
handwriting that only human beings can read and understand effectively.

By participating in Old Weather you'll be helping advance research in
multiple fields. Data about past weather and sea-ice conditions are
vital for climate scientists, while historians value knowing about the
course of a voyage and the events that transpired. Since many of these
logs haven't been examined since they were originally filled in by a
mariner long ago you might even discover something surprising.

*About the Science*
Millions of weather, ocean, and sea-ice observations recorded by
mariners and scientists over the past 150 years are being recovered by
Old Weather. These data are made freely available in digital formats
suitable for climate model assimilation, retrospective analysis
(reanalysis), and other kinds of research. The performance of
data-assimilating modeling and extended reanalysis systems is greatly
improved, the uncertainty of results (especially in sparsely observed
regions like the Arctic) is reduced, and new long-period calibration and
validation data sets are being created. As the historical data resource
is extended farther back in time it will be possible to study a wider
range of weather and climate phenomena and to better understand their
impact on the Arctic and global environment, now and in the future.

https://www.oldweather.org/

- -

[explained in a video]
*Old Weather: Citizen Scientists*
Aug 5, 2016
NOAAPMEL
Become a citizen scientist and help recover weather observation data
from logs made by US ships since the mid-19th century.
https://youtu.be/3wL9Q_puFak

- -

[Blog Post from Old Weather]
*A new Old Weather project*
*December 16, 2020
by Kevin Wood*
Old Weather – WW2 is now an active Zooniverse project. The purpose of
this project is to recover hidden marine weather data recorded in U.S.
Navy ships’ logbooks during World War II. Like all Old Weather projects,
these data will be used to drive sophisticated computer models that help
us understand and reconstruct weather and climate in extraordinary
detail. But there is another goal that is just as vital – to uncover the
source of a mysterious distortion in sea-surface temperature data
collected during the war.

This distortion, which Chan & Huybers refer to as the World War II Warm
Anomaly, may not be physical in nature, but, they argue, arises from
earlier bias adjustments applied to correct for differences in sampling
methods. The age-old technique of hauling up a bucket of seawater then
taking its temperature on deck produces a different value compared to
those collected from an engine-room cooling water intake, for example.
There may even be differences in values because of the characteristics
of particular ships, especially how deep they sit in the water (their
draft). So knowing the fleet composition within the data set, and the
specifics of how the measurements were made is crucial to teasing out an
answer.

Because of the work we’ve been doing with the U.S. National Archives
over the past eight years or so we are in a unique position to help
investigate this question – we have digital images of many of the
original U.S. Navy logbooks. The logs we are transcribing in this
project were selected because the ships were often in the same place at
the same time, even moored alongside each other in nests. All but two
survived the entire war, 1941-1945. Twelve were based at Pearl Harbor in
1941, eighteen were in the Aleutian Islands in 1942-1943, and ten were
caught in Typhoon Cobra in December 1944. This opens up many
opportunities to investigate sources of bias, from factors associated
with different ship types, the weather instruments in use at different
times, or changes in methods required by wartime operations (such as
blackout for example). It will also be possible to investigate how
tropical and sub-polar environments may have influenced the data in
different ways.

Moreover, with logbooks in hand, we can also better understand legacy
issues associated with U.S. Navy data key-punched onto IBM cards in the
early 1950s and subsequently migrated into today’s widely used
International Comprehensive Ocean Atmosphere Data Set (ICOADS). Already
we have found out that the fleet composition represented in ICOADS is
tilted toward submarines, destroyers, and destroyer escorts. Aircraft
carriers, with probably the best-equipped and best-trained weather
personnel in the Navy, appear to be mostly neglected.

The World War II Warm Anomaly is large enough to appear in the long-term
global mean sea-surface temperature record. This presents as an aspect
of natural variability that may not in fact be real. If this turns out
to be true, the corrected temperature record would appear to evolve
upward more smoothly over time, and correspond more closely to model
results as described by Chan & Huybers.
https://oldweather.wordpress.com/2020/12/16/a-new-old-weather-project/

*On this day in the history of global warming - December 17, 2014 *

The New York Times reports:

"The Cuomo administration announced Wednesday that it would ban
hydraulic fracturing in New York State, ending years of uncertainty by
concluding that the controversial method of extracting gas from deep
underground could contaminate the state’s air and water and pose
inestimable public-health risks."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/nyregion/cuomo-to-ban-fracking-in-new-york-state-citing-health-risks.html?mwrsm=Email

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/12/17/3604762/breaking-new-york-will-pursue-fracking-ban/

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/andrew-cuomo--im-not-a-scientist-374321731971

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.