[TheClimate.Vote] February 7, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Feb 7 08:14:49 EST 2020

/*February 7, 2020*/

[Follow the money]
*Fossil Fuels Divestment Continues Georgetown's Commitment to
Sustainability*
February 6, 2020
The Georgetown University Board of Directors today adopted a policy on
fossil fuel and impact investments that is part of the university's
broad commitment to sustainability.

Under the new policy, the university will continue to make investments
that target a market rate of return in renewable energy, energy
efficiency and related areas while freezing new endowment investments in
companies or funds whose primary business is the exploration or
extraction of fossil fuels.

Georgetown will divest from public securities of fossil fuel companies
within the next five years and divest from existing private investments
in those companies over the next 10 years...
- - -
The board acted today on a recommendation from the university's
Committee on Investments and Social Responsibility (CISR), which
includes faculty, students and staff and reviews and considers proposals
from the Georgetown community on socially responsible investment.
Recent efforts in support of sustainability include the creation of a
multiphased strategic plan that explores all the ways in which
Georgetown can honor the pope's Laudato Si' encyclical, such as reducing
its carbon footprint, supporting education, research efforts and other
measures.

"Animated by our Catholic and Jesuit identity, our University has sought
to strengthen opportunities for our community to contribute to a more
sustainable future by fostering dialogue, research, education and the
engagement of all members of our community," says Georgetown President
John J. DeGioia."This decision by our board of directors advances the
deep commitment we have to sustainability and our efforts to respond to
urgent global environmental challenges."

The action today by the board is the result of a multiyear engagement
within the Georgetown community that included students, faculty and staff.

Such engagement included the long-term sustained efforts of the
student-run GU Fossil Free (GUFF), which submitted a number of proposals
to CISR.

As with prior proposals by GUFF, this most recent recommendation was
thoroughly evaluated by CISR over the course of the last year,
incorporating input from GUFF and other members of the community, CISR
unanimously recommended the current divestment proposal to the board...
Joining a group of leading universities across the country in 2017, the
university reaffirmed its commitment in support of the Paris Agreement
on climate change continuing its work toward slowing the rise in the
global average temperature and transitioning to a clean energy economy.

"As a Catholic and Jesuit university, we believe caring for our
environment is one of the most urgent moral and practical concerns of
our time," DeGioia said nearly three years ago. "In reaffirming this
commitment, we seek to strengthen our ongoing efforts to bring the
intellectual and spiritual resources of our community to bear on the
important work of being ever more sustainable as a university and
contributing to our environment in beneficial and concrete ways."
https://www.georgetown.edu/news/fossil-fuels-divestment-continues-georgetown-commitment-to-sustainability/

[Fossil fuel history education by comic strip in 3 parts]
*Sustainability Illustrated*
Hello, my name is Alexandre Magnin
I am a sustainability consultant and illustrator. I create animation
videos and illustrations to help people learn about and teach
sustainability in an engaging and effective way...
- - -
I decided to combine my skills to share what I have learned about
sustainability over years of helping businesses and communities be more
successful and resilient. I created Sustainability Illustrated to make
the best sustainability knowledge and processes available to all for free.
*Petroleum & curious decisions: *
Episode 1/3 (true story)
https://sustainabilityillustrated.com/en/2019/02/26/petroleum-history-comic/
Episode 2/3 (true story)
https://sustainabilityillustrated.com/en/2019/03/12/petroleum-history-comic-2/
Episode 3/3 (true story)
https://sustainabilityillustrated.com/en/2020/01/31/petroleum-history-comic-3/
more at - https://sustainabilityillustrated.com/en/#

[Serious book for psychological insight]
*Climate Crisis and Consciousness 1st Edition*
by Sally Gillespie
Climate crisis disrupts the beliefs, values and behaviors of
contemporary societies, sparking potential for radical changes in
culture and consciousness. Drawing upon her experience as a Jungian
psychotherapist and a researcher in the field of climate psychology,
Sally Gillespie writes about the challenges, dilemmas, opportunities and
transformations of engaging with climate and ecological crises.

Many factors shape how we understand and respond to the existential
threats of climate crisis. This accessible book with its discussions
about worldviews, cultural myths, emotional resilience, social
connectedness, nature relatedness and collective action explores
consciousness change in those most engaged with climate issues. Calling
upon the words and stories of many people, including Indigenous leaders,
ecologists, campaigners, writers and philosophers, Gillespie encourages
us to enter into climate conversations to forge emotional resilience,
ecological consciousness and inspired action.
- - -
With its unique focus on the psychological experience of facing into the
climate crisis, this warm and supportive book offers companionship and
sustenance for anyone who wants to be alive to our natural world and to
the existential challenges of today. It is an essential resource for
counsellors, psychotherapists, social workers and other helping
professionals, as well as climate campaigners, policy makers, educators,
scientists and researchers.
"This is a soulful work that speaks to all of us concerning the greatest
threat to life on Earth. With care and acuity, Sally Gillespie brings us
close to this issue and presents heart centered approaches to not only
hold our grief, but to work towards re-imagining new, creative ways to
be with Earth." - Jeffrey T. Kiehl, climate scientist, Jungian analyst
and author of Facing Climate Change: An Integrated Path to the Future

"As the climate changes, we must also change our thinking. With not just
brilliance but also profound insight and compassion, Dr Sally Gillespie
shows us how. We will save our world only when we better understand the
depth of our responses to it. No book could be more timely." - Stephanie
Dowrick, PhD, author of Seeking the Sacred: Transforming Our View of
Ourselves and One Another

"This lovely book asks how we can live well in a world ravaged by
climate disruption and then guides us empathically and sensitively
through the process. Sally Gillespie shows us how to live with our
confusion, draw on our dreams, speak our pain and join with others on a
journey whose outcome is uncertain but whose necessity has never felt
more urgent.

Imbued with a deep respect for the natural world and filled with
inspiring examples - check out the Knitting Nannas! - Sally Gillespie
offers myths and tells stories that both comfort and inspire. She has
lived the painful journey that so many people need to take, and she
meets our fears and vulnerabilities with compassion and resolution.
Whether you are trembling on the edge of climate awareness or burnt out
from years of struggle, this wise book will help you find your place in
the growing climate movement and its new consciousness. Read it - it
will give you courage and help you step out."- Rosemary Randall,
co-founder of Carbon Conversations Project, www.carbonconversations.co.uk

"Climate Crisis and Consciousness covers such a range of vital issues in
such a lively and personal style I am sure it will quickly become a
'must read' for these climate troubled times. I found myself feeling
envious of Sally Gillespie's ability to draw on such a variety of
literatures to find the psychological resources we will all need to
negotiate the difficult transition ahead. In her hands, that phrase
'every crisis is an opportunity' no longer became a bland piece of
Blairite rhetoric but a convincing call to each one of us to be the
transformation that this warming earth requires." - Professor Paul
Hoggett, co-founder of the Climate Psychology Alliance
https://www.amazon.com/Climate-Crisis-Consciousness-Sally-Gillespie/dp/0367365340/ref=reader_auth_dp

[Let's look into the future]
*When will Arctic Sea-Ice Vanish in the summer? 2023? 2025? 2032? What
do you think?? Part 1 of 3*
Feb 6, 2020
Paul Beckwith
One of the most fundamental questions of abrupt climate system change
science asks when the Arctic sea ice will first vanish? It is not a
question of "if". It is a question of "when"? The worst consequences
will include greatly accelerated warming of the Arctic and globe,
exposure of Greenland to greatly accelerated glacier melt with greatly
accelerated sea level rise, and severe slowing and greatly increased
waviness of the jet stream, with a shift of the center of rotation 17
degrees latitude south from near the North Pole to the center of
Greenland. Weather whiplashing and wilding will skyrocket; how will we
grow food??
Please support my abrupt climate system change videos by donating at
http://paulbeckwith.net
Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxyWw-e0RaI (starts 2:20 in)

*On this day in the history of global warming - February 7, 2007 *

Air America host Betsy Rosenberg and Competitive Enterprise Institute
representative Chris Horner discuss the recently released 4th IPCC
report on the Fox News Channel program "Hannity and Colmes."
http://youtu.be/5k267NdmiFY

The US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation holds a
hearing on climate change research and scientific integrity, focusing on
the George W. Bush administration's slicing and dicing of science and
data. White House whistleblower Rick Piltz and Nobel laureate Sherwood
Rowland testify.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9vXi61G0MU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYDQD8AeORA
http://scienceblogs.com/intersection/2007/02/07/senate-fireworks-on-climate-an/