[TheClimate.Vote] February 10, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Feb 10 12:02:19 EST 2020

/*February 10, 2020*/

[Written long ago - now Time magazine says so]
*The Wuhan Coronavirus, Climate Change, and Future Epidemics*
- - -
I have no evidence that climate change triggered this particular virus
to jump from animals to humans at this particular time, or that a warmer
planet has helped it spread. That said, it's pretty clear that, broadly
speaking, climate change is likely to lead to an uptick in future
epidemics caused by viruses and other pathogens. Scientists have
understood for decades that climate change would change the way diseases
spread, but, as the planet warms, those hypotheses are being tested and
scientists are learning in real time. There are many links between
climate change and infectious diseases, but I'm going to focus on one
particularly novel--and concerning--area of knowledge: how rising
temperatures are making our natural immune systems less effective...
https://time.com/5779156/wuhan-coronavirus-climate-change/

[Extinction Rebellion TV studio conversation]
*Dr. Gail Bradbrook | 'The Big Questions' BBC | 9 February 2020 |
Extinction Rebellion*
Feb 9, 2020
Extinction Rebellion
Excerpts from 'The Big Questions' live from Oasis Academy MediaCityUK in
Salford.

Nicky Campbell will be asking: Will capitalism save the planet? And, is
what you do more important than what you believe?

Complete iplayer broadcast here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000f9wp/the-big-questions-series-13-episode-2

Join the Rebellion: https://Rebellion.Earth/
International: https://Rebellion.Global/

1. #TellTheTruth
2. #ActNow
3. #BeyondPolitics

World Map of Extinction Rebellion Groups: https://Rebellion.Global/branches/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Y-mRznK2w

[Video]
*Blue Carbon. An invisible time bomb.*
Feb 9, 2020
Just Have a Think
Ocean Acidification is perhaps the most well publicised consequence of
increased levels of carbon dioxide being absorbed by our oceans. But as
the oceans also absorb vast quantities of heat from our human
activities, and sea levels rise as a result of melting ice caps and
thermal expansion, another less well known but no less precious store of
Carbon is being threatened, with potentially disastrous consequences.

Research Links -
https://www.ipcc.ch/srocc/chapter/chapter-5/
https://www.thebluecarboninitiative.org/
https://www.conservation.org/blog/what-on-earth-is-blue-carbon
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/20/marine-heatwave-set-off-carbon-bomb-in-worlds-largest-seagrass-meadow
https://www.iucn.org/resources/issues...
https://www.esa.int/esearch?q=ocean+CO2
more at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDuzVrfBRww

- -

[Paul Beckwith]
*Trace Halocarbon GHG Threat to Arctic Warming and Sea-Ice Loss is
Ongoing: Part 2 of 2*
Feb 9, 2020
Paul Beckwith
If this study is confirmed by many others, then between 1955 and 2005
about half of the surface warming in the Arctic, and about half of the
Arctic sea-ice extent loss was actually due to the
GHG effect from Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS), and not due to ozone
changes. After stabilizing for many years after the 1987 Montreal
Protocol, the ODS CFC-11 has been rising since 2013 or so from illicit
production in China, according a separate paper. Our societies cannot
afford to let these trace, long lived, huge GWP (Global Warming
Potential) gases to rise in concentration in our atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGORMVR8-Ic
- -
[CO2 and ocean video instructional]
*What on Earth is Blue Carbon?*
Jul 29, 2019
Conservation International
We break down "blue carbon," a term you may not have heard of but which
has immense importance for curbing climate change.
Carbon is the key to life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITwPDs2LdcU

[original article November 2019]
*What may we hope for? Education in times of climate change*
How can a child develop a healthy psychological relationship with a role
model who refuses to take responsibility for the world and continues to
destroy it?
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1467-8675.12445

[looking back, looking forward]
*Interesting Video of 1989, Foreseeing How the Houses of 2020 Will Be*
By Daniel Kucher - February 8, 202

A news video from the BBC archives and published in 1989 contains
predictions and predictions about the houses of 2020. The video is quite
interesting and full of futuristic technologies.

Throughout human history, efforts have been made to advance technology.
These works started with the dream of the future almost every time. Many
years before people went to the Moon, Jules Verne imagined this future
in his book 'Travel to the Moon'.

The 'Tomorrow's World' program broadcast on the British BBC channel in
1989 also dreamed of the future. In the program presented by Christine
MacNaulty, future and future technologies were on the table.

Disappearing windows, buttonless lights:
Video images of the program were removed from the BBC archives. There
are quite interesting predictions in the short video of the technologies
of 2020. Although some estimates are not very real, we can say that some
prediction holds. In the video; Technologies such as lights without
buttons and lost windows are mentioned. It is also stated that in the
'future' music can only be listened to using voice commands. Today,
Amazon Alexa and Google Home can do this...
In the program, the presenter said, "People; He wants to have all the
benefits of modern technology without the mixed and messy technology
crowd like today. " This statement summarizes the basis of today's
technology transformation quite well.

The program also includes lights that turn on and off automatically as
you move between rooms. In 2019, IKEA Smart Home showed us one of the
first examples of a house where everything from bulbs to curtains is
controlled via apps and Wi-Fi.

All predictions did not keep:
The program also includes some non-coherent predictions. For example,
according to the experts in the program, the walls had to be completely
digital today. It is not possible to say exactly that we have done this.
Also, according to estimates, the walls would be transparent when
desired. It would even be possible to watch movies on the walls.

Tamar Kasriel, the founder of the strategy agency Futureal, said in the
comments he made about the video that many predictions were accurate and
that the experts were especially right about voice control. According to
Kasriel, 25% of households in the UK use voice assistants, and most
smartphone users prefer voice typing.

What has changed in 30 years, what has not changed?
Excell company started to manufacture the first mobile phones 30 years
ago. Personal computers were just spreading, and they had stunning
prices. At that time, a personal computer was £ 2,500. At that time, a
car could be bought for zero money.

The program also draws attention to environmental and global warming
issues. These issues had an important place on the agenda 30 years ago,
but today the situation is risky and requires more urgent action.

see the video - https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/585210995574590/
https://www.somagnews.com/interesting-video-1989-foreseeing-houses-2020-will/

*On this day in the history of global warming  - February 10, 2016 *
The Los Angeles Times reports:

"California led a record-breaking year for solar power in 2015 that
included the addition of more than 20,000 new jobs within the state
-- more than half of the positions the industry created nationwide,
according to a new report."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-solar-industry-job-growth-20160209-story.html