[TheClimate.Vote] February 11, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Feb 11 08:28:01 EST 2020

/*February 11, 2020*/

[Sarcastic video taunt from Australia - 3 min]
*Honest Government Ad | After the fires*
Premiered 2-11-2020 5 hours ago
thejuicemedia
The Australien Government has made an ad about this summer's fires and
it's surprisingly honest and informative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BmbvTvFQ3g

[From Moscow Times]
*Climate change is moving Russia's taiga north, scientists warn*
By The Moscow Times
February 09, 2020
The Taiga forests of Siberia have expanded north toward the Arctic as a
result of warming temperatures over the past four decades, a team of
Russian and Finnish scientists has told TASS.

Climate change is heating Russia at a rate more than twice the global
average, thawing what was once permanently frozen ground in the Arctic
tundra, the Environment Ministry warned last year. This has set off
massive releases of gases like methane and carbon dioxide -- previously
stored in the permafrost -- into the atmosphere.

"We are currently observing sustained growth in temperatures in northern
Eurasia and a corresponding latitudinal shift in biomes toward the North
Pole by 100-150 kilometers over the past 40 years," Viktor Gennadinik, a
Russian scientist participating in the study, was cited as saying by the
state-run TASS news agency Friday.

"The taiga is moving into higher latitudes, into areas that were
previously tundra," he added.

The joint project is being run by scientists from Tyumen State
University, the University of Helsinki and the Finnish Meteorological
Institute.

Another observation of the project said that the warming climate is also
bringing dangerous new pests into the Arctic ecosystem.

Rashit Khantemirov, a biologist at the Urals branch of the Russian
Academy of Sciences, told TASS that the current developments in the
Arctic have not been seen for the past 7,000 years.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ecology/2020/02/climate-change-moving-russias-taiga-north-scientists-warn
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ecology/2020/02/climate-change-moving-russias-taiga-north-scientists-warn
- - -
[Feb 6th, 2020]
*Russia is hotter than ever*
Average temperatures in January were up to 12 degrees Celsius above
normal in parts of the country.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ecology/2020/02/russia-hotter-ever

[More news from Russia]
*Black day for coal company as it abandons grand Arctic dig*
Vostok Coal is giving up its great Arctic project. The buyer of the vast
coal reserves of the Taymyr Peninsula might be state nuclear power
company Rosatom.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/industry-and-energy/2020/02/black-day-coal-company-it-abandons-grand-arctic-dig

[two minute video ad for a deserving service]
*Managing Your Climate Anxiety*
Sep 24, 2019
Good Grief Network
Start the 10-Step program in your local community. More here:
www.goodgriefnetwork.org
https://youtu.be/NKaI2heogAU
- -
[anticipatory grief counts too]
*Announcing New 10-Step Programs*
It's a peer-to-peer support group. It's not a therapy program. This
10-week program is process-based, meaning the weekly meetings are the
initial introduction. The real work happens when you unplug and
integrate these lessons into your life. While in the meetings, we come
together and share our experiences, wisdom, and passions with each
other. We move through our emotions, open to new ways of thinking and
seeing the predicament, and hopefully open to creative responses that
are available to us. We create a safe container to practice being
vulnerable and calming our nervous system. We build community and learn
how to really see people again.
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/GoodGriefNetwork
Website: http://www.goodgriefnetwork.org
What's Required From You?

    --Attendance. Please try to make all 10 meetings. We know it's a big
    commitment. (If you cannot make it to all 10, that's okay, you can
    still participate, but the process works better if you show up!)
    --An open heart and open mind. We are inviting different worldviews
    and experiences into the circle, we ask that you respect the
    differences. We'll do the same for you.
    --Tracking your mental health. Because this isn't a therapy group,
    we need to know you're taking care of yourself. Do you have a
    supportive partner or friend to check in with after the meetings? Do
    you have a therapist? Do you know how to find a therapist if you
    need one?
    --Vulnerability. The process works best if you show up and showing
    up requires that we be vulnerable. Share from a place of honesty. We
    will do our best to take care and create a safe container for you.
    --Patience. Patience with yourself and everyone else in the group.
    We'll be chatting about a lot of difficult things and we're all just
    trying our best to make sense of this uncharted territory.
    --Integrity. Be authentic, be kind, be you.

https://www.goodgriefnetwork.org/announcing-new-10-step-programs/
- - -
[video on econ anxiety]
*What is eco-anxiety? feat. @The Psych Show*
Jan 29, 2019
zentouro
Climate change can be overwhelming - let's talk about what happens when
it is all too much.
For the full conversation, become a Patron: https://www.patreon.com/zentouro
Dr. Ali Mattu's The Psych Show: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClIZ...
Why I give Psychology away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQkDM...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwJUm37_G_Y

*On this day in the history of global warming  - February 11, 2013 *

UPI reports on a Harvard University study that indicates "extreme
weather and climate change present a potential threat to U.S. national
security for which 'we are not prepared.'"

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2013/02/11/Climate-change-risks-to-US-security-seen/UPI-54781360632325/#ixzz2m3sx4HrC