[TheClimate.Vote] February 13, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Feb 13 09:08:01 EST 2020

/*February 13, 2020*/

[Do you know where your CO2 is now?]
*'The Saddest Thing Is That This Won't Be Breaking News': Concentration
of CO2 Hits Record High of 416 ppm*
"Emissions from fossil fuels and deforestation need to be reduced to
ZERO to stop this trend!"

    "The success of our previous forecasts has shown that the
    year-to-year variability in the rate of rise of CO2 in the
    atmosphere is affected more by the strength of ecosystem carbon
    sinks and sources than year-to-year changes in human-induced
    emissions," he added. "Nevertheless, the anthropogenic emissions are
    still the overall driver of the long-term rise in concentrations."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/02/12/saddest-thing-wont-be-breaking-news-concentration-co2-hits-record-high-416-ppm

[More from Sierra]
*So Your Kids Are Stressed Out About the Climate Crisis*
BY MARY DEMOCKER | JAN 25 2020
When my nephew, Sam, was four years old, he said to his mother one night
before bed, "Mom, I don't want to be alive anymore."

His mother pulled him onto her lap and asked, "Why?"

"The animals are all going to die, and I don't want to be here when
everything's dead," he answered. Mind you, this scene played out in
2005, long before the world watched as 1 billion animals died in
Australia's bushfires.

I've been thinking about this incident a lot lately as I read media
reports about children suffering from eco-anxiety. For their whole
lives, our kids have absorbed terrifying stories about what's happening
to our planet and the creatures that inhabit it. Worse, more and more of
them understand that when it comes to doing what it takes to avoid
future hell-on-Earth scenarios, adults are, on the whole, failing them.
No wonder so many of them, from preschoolers to college students, are
freaking out. How might we help our kids deal with their feelings in
ways that are age-appropriate, empowering--and honest?

I started pondering this question long ago when my own children, now 20
and 23, began showing signs of anxiety about the climate crisis. The
following suggestions grew from my observations of what helped them,
what helped other families I've interviewed, and what professionals have
to say about a problem that's not going away any time soon

*Listen *
"First, it's important to validate the young person's experience and
emotions," says Dr. Patricia H. Hasbach, a psychotherapist who
specializes in Eco-therapy. "Find out what it is they're worried about."
Some, like Sam, may grieve the generalized--and very real--extinctions
happening worldwide. Others fear their own demise in hurricanes, floods,
or wildfires. One 12-year-old survivor of California's 2018 fires panics
now every time the Santa Ana winds kick up. My own kids describe an
"always there, back-of-the-mind type fear of the future."

In Sam's case, his mother didn't dismiss his worries. After her son's
stark pronouncement, she told him, "Wow, that's a big feeling. Tell me
more." Then she stated other things that are also true, like, "The earth
is strong. Lots of people are working to protect animals, and we can
help them."

"OK," he said. Then he rolled over, fell asleep, and didn't raise the
issue again.

*Tell the Truth (Carefully)*
In climate discussions with children, parents are tasked with balancing
age-appropriateness with honesty. My husband and I didn't offer climate
tutorials to our preschoolers, but we did talk about protecting the
earth and animals, and we showed them what that looks like: rescuing
worms from puddles, composting food waste, and advocating for
environmental protections.

As our kids matured and encountered more information, often frightening
and overwhelming, we listened and--after acknowledging bad news and
processing their feelings--reminded our kids of the bigger story, just
as Sam's mom had done: "Yes, it's a time of peril. It's also a time of
incredible energy and innovation." We assured them that apocalypse isn't
inevitable and that scientists say we have the time and the technology
to avert catastrophe.

"There's so much bad and overwhelming odds all the time that it's hard
not to just get defeated," says Sam, who is now 19 and an environmental
studies major and activist. "But if you look at it another way, we have
an opportunity to influence the outcome of humanity and civilization,
and be righteous warriors in the fight of our lives."

This may be the most helpful truth to share, if kids don't already know
it: Youths worldwide are using their moral authority to demand bolder
climate action from leaders. Adults are starting to listen, and that's
helping alleviate some anxiety. Greta Thunberg's father recently told
BBC News that his daughter, who suffered severe climate anxiety and
depression before beginning her climate strikes, has become "very happy"
because of her activism.

*Get Kids Outside *
Dr. Hasbach also asks parents to consider whether a child's anxiety may
stem from disconnection from nature. "Young people spend an average of
four to seven minutes a day in unstructured outdoor play, and nine hours
in front of a screen. That's a problem."

Getting an anxious child of any age outside to garden, skip stones, or
play in the park may reduce anxiety of any kind. Nature immersion, says
Hasbach, also helps kids love nature "before they have to do the hard
work of trying to save it." They need a "deep, sincere connection to
that part of themselves, recognizing that they are the natural world."

*Facilitate Agency **
*Dr. Hasbach says that it's important for parents to help children feel
a sense of agency in the climate crisis, but that few parents actually
do this.

"Remind children, 'Here's what some people are doing to help address it.
Here's what we're doing in our family and why. Here's what else needs to
be addressed.'" Then, brainstorm together. What sounds fun or
interesting? An easy first step might be a family challenge to reduce
food waste by 20 percent. Or, students could do school research projects
about the kind of energy their local utility uses, and who gets to make
that decision.

Families could explore what's happening locally with forest restoration
or fossil fuel resistance, and decide how to support those efforts. Our
family helped launch a youth climate action club at our kids' high
school, with parents providing logistical support and pizza.

And of course, the 2020 election cycle offers everyone a chance to make
big changes at the highest levels of our government. Families can
research candidates together: Who supports a Green New Deal? Who
supports fracking? Teens can volunteer at candidates' offices or join
Get Out the Vote campaigns.

"Help teens get involved in social activism," Dr. Hasbach says. "Doing
research, letter-writing campaigns, protests, or clean-ups in group
settings is particularly impactful, because the peer group is primary at
that age."

Sam, who volunteered on a 2018 congressional campaign and recently
joined the Sunrise Movement, agrees. "It's really exciting, working with
all of these young people doing all these amazing things. It's really
high energy because the stakes are so high."

*Be a Role Model *
But Serena Orsinger, an 18-year-old climate leader in my community with
whom I spoke last year, warns that adults shouldn't leave young people
holding the bag, climate-wise.

"If we're not seeing the urgency and, quite honestly, the fear from the
older generations that we're feeling, that can be upsetting, because
it's such a big weight to carry. And if it's not spread throughout the
generations, it can be discouraging. But when we're all bearing the load
that is climate change, it's more empowering and doesn't feel like as
big a burden."

In his BBC interview, Greta Thunberg's father reported that Thunberg got
"energy" when her parents, at her urging, changed their own behavior.

It's important to recognize that some lifestyle changes might mean more
to your kids than others. As Sam puts it, "When I say 'change your
life,' I mean 'think about giving up some--or a lot--of your time. If
you have the financial stability, maybe work a couple of days less a
week and volunteer for a congressional campaign, or some activist group
like Sunrise or 350.org."

He recently asked his mom to trade one work day for activism. "She said
'that's a lot to ask,' and I said, 'This problem demands a lot. Think
about my children and what kind of life they'll have.' That really
resonated with her. She said she's going to try to get more involved
politically now, and my dad is thinking of early retirement so he can too."

When I asked how he felt hearing that from his parents, he said, "I feel
better whenever I see people actually weighing the facts about what
we're up against and making conscious decisions to do more."

Then he grinned. "It's inspiring."
https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/so-your-kids-are-stressed-out-about-climate-crisis

[Global Sisters Report]
*God can emerge in new ways through Teilhard's 'troubled worship'*
Feb 11, 2020
by Ilia Delio
It is almost five years since the inception of Pope Francis's encyclical
"Laudato Si', on Care for Our Common Home" and, unfortunately, nothing
has changed with regard to global warming. The statistics continue to
show rising temperatures, and this trend is predicted to have dramatic
consequences on future Earth life. Even the prophetic voice of Greta
Thunberg has done little to change the state of affairs. Climate change
activists continue to protest against the present policies (or lack of)
but these actions too are ignored. The pope's plea and Greta's cry for a
sustainable future fall on deaf ears. Statistics do not move us to
change and prophets go unheard.

The church continues to issue documents on global warming, as well as
immigration, economics and other current issues, but few people are
reading these documents. It is sad to think that if the church died
tomorrow, the world would likely express its sympathy but not attend the
funeral.

In past ages, Christianity was a creative force for change; in the 12th
century the Vatican was the closest thing to Silicon Valley, initiating
social reforms and economic policies that shaped western Europe. Today
the church has apparently lost its power to persuade. It continues to
issue insightful writings, but they are dead letters falling on blind
eyes and deaf ears. The glory days are past and Christians are breathing
the fumes of history. In fact, much of Christianity lives on the laurels
of history and nostalgia. We talk and preach as if we are still the
noble center of the universe and special creatures of God, not the most
recent arrival of a 13.8 billion year old universe.
- - -
In a provocative essay entitled "Salvation by algorithm: God, technology
and the new 21st-century religions," Yuval Harari outlines the new
religion of technology. Harari is an Israeli historian and professor of
history at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He is the author of Homo
Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow and Sapiens: A Brief History of
Humankind, and his ideas have been widely discussed. His secularist and
agnostic view shows a cursory understanding of religion and
spirituality, and yet his insights are poignant.

Harari begins his essay by saying that "the most interesting place in
the world from a religious perspective is not Syria or the Bible Belt,
but Silicon Valley." He says that is "where hi-tech gurus are brewing
for us amazing new religions that have little to do with God, and
everything to do with technology. They promise all the old prizes --
happiness, peace, justice and eternal life in paradise -- but here on
Earth with the help of technology, rather than after death and with the
help of supernatural beings."

The established religions may boast of a divine mandate, he indicates,
giving them a fixed essence of eternal and unchanging truth … but they
"have no fixed essence. They have survived for centuries and millennia
not by clinging to some eternal values, but by repeatedly pouring heady
new wine into very old skins."

"Heady new wine" is a very interesting term, for it highlights a lot of
Catholic doctrine and preaching; Greek terms explained in long homiletic
drones. While Catholics may claim allegiance in the millions, strength
is not in numbers, according to Harari, but in bold, new creative ideas.
In his view the train of Homo sapiens is leaving the station driven by
the engineers of Silicon Valley:

"Whereas during the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century human
beings learned to produce vehicles, weapons, textiles and food, in the
new industrial revolution of the 21st century human beings are learning
to produce themselves. The main products of the coming decades will be
bodies, brains and minds."
- - -
Do we really believe that "God is present in matter"? Is matter the same
as God? This would be pantheism, and while Teilhard leans in this
direction, he is clear that God and matter are not equivalent. Rather,
the preposition "in" is key: God is in matter meaning that God is the
ultimate horizon, the depth and breadth of matter, other than matter
(transcendent) yet intimately present to matter (immanent). When
everything can be said about a particular form of matter, for example, a
leaf (green, veined, and its other properties), we have not exhausted
that which really draws us to it, such as its beauty or light. The
ultimacy of this experience, which cannot be adequately spoken or
described, is the presence of God.

So when Teilhard speaks of a power in matter, he is speaking of the
ultimate power that eludes our ability to grasp or measure it. Yet it is
a power that is deeply experienced and draws us into it, expressed in
the many ways humans invent, create and transcend themselves. Science,
technology, art, music, study, writing, all are forms of engaging this
divine power in matter by which we transcend ourselves.

Unless we grapple with matter -- not only in scientific research but all
aspects of world-unfolding life -- we are missing out on the power of
life itself, the power we name as God. Twentieth century science and
technology have discovered dark adoration, the unknown hidden God of
matter; and because religion is so far behind in its theological
doctrines, there is simply no opportunity to bring this hidden God to
light. Hence it is not surprising that people spend more time on social
media than in church, or look to Google for answers to prayers. The
church has its head in the sand, imploding from power struggles rooted
in fourth century Roman imperialism, while Google is building a new church.

People today are searching for something to believe in, a power that
vitalizes and dynamizes life. If the God of Jesus Christ "fills all
things," as St. Paul writes, then God must be found in all things.
Teilhard thought that the church does not present Christ as filling all
things but a Christ who is more gnostic (known only by way of knowledge)
or docetic (only in appearance) than incarnate. If faced with the
Pauline cosmic Christ, he thought, many scientists (and engineers) would
recognize this immanent power and presence as the God whom they had been
finding in their work and worshipping with a "dark adoration."

However, this could only happen if the church embraces modern science
and evolution as the very stuff out of which God is born. Then the
unknown God would no longer be faceless, and dark adoration could become
luminous, and the need to become gods or superhuman would be met in the
very act of worship, the Christification of the universe. God is
becoming flesh by coming to light in human consciousness and shaping the
world with a new power.

The church is missing out on the most vital opportunity to reinvent
itself for a world in evolution. Paradigms change because the universe
is unfinished. Science and technology show us that when the level of our
awareness changes, we start attracting a new reality. Can the church be
part of a new reality? There will no greening of the Earth unless we are
inspired to belong to the Earth and to realize the body of Christ is
here, groaning aloud in the pangs of new birth (cf. Romans 8:22).

[Ilia Delio, a member of the Franciscan Sisters of Washington, D.C., is
the Josephine C. Connelly Endowed Chair in Theology at Villanova
University. She is the author of 16 books, including Making All Things
New: Catholicity, Cosmology and Consciousness (Orbis Books 2015), and
the general editor of the series Catholicity in an Evolving Universe.]
https://www.globalsistersreport.org/news/god-can-emerge-new-ways-through-teilhards-troubled-worship
- - -
-Teilhard de Chardin]
*SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH **AS ADORATION *
Thomas M. King
Towards the end of The Phenomenon of Man,Teilhard wrote, 'Religion
and science are the two conjugated faces or phases of one and the
same complete act of knowledge'. In science, the first phase, we do
the synthesizing; in religion and adoration, the second phase, we find
our own selves being given their place within a higher synthesis.
'Adoration's real name … is research.'
https://www.theway.org.uk/back/443King.pdf

*On this day in the history of global warming - February 13, 2008 *

In his "Bushed" segment, MSNBC's Keith Olbermann observes:

"Number two: Global warming denier-gate. Singer Sheryl Crow reveals that
her new album, 'Detours,' filled with political protest songs, was
inspired by her visit last year to the White House Correspondents Dinner
and the rage she felt after her encounter with Karl Rove.  She tried to
talk to him about global warming and she says his response was: 'I don't
work for you, I work for the American people.'  No, you worked for
George Bush and now you work for Rupert Murdoch.  That is two American
people, not THE American people."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWBqPh1lrt0