[TheClimate.Vote] January 30, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Jan 30 11:05:30 EST 2020

/*January 30, 2020*/

[XR video talk]
*Can meaningful hope spring from revealing the depth of our climate
failure? Kevin Anderson*
Jan 29, 2020
Extinction Rebellion
Peel away the layers of dangerously naive hope and unfounded optimism
and the mitigation challenge posed by the Paris Agreement now demands
the rapid and profound re-shaping of contemporary society. Whilst the
models dominating the mitigation agenda employ evermore exotic and
speculative technologies to remain 'politically palatable', the
arithmetic of emissions increasingly embeds equity at the heart of any
mathematically cogent strategy. Dress it up however we may like, the
Parisian mitigation agenda is ultimately a rationing issue. Until we are
prepared to acknowledge this, we will continue our reckless pathway
towards a 3-5C future.

Against such a depressing backdrop, do the rapid emergence of new and
vociferous constituencies and the heightened profile of climate change
suggest early cracks and the prospect of new light?

Professor Kevin Anderson - University of Manchester (UK) and Uppsala
University (Sweden) - speaking at St. Mary's Church Welcome Centre
Walthamstow hosted by XR Waltham Forest. Tuesday 21st January 2020.
Follow Kevin on Twitter: @KevinClimate
Contact Waltham Forest Extinction Rebellion: xrwalthamforest at protonmail.com
Join the rebellion: https://Rebellion.Earth/
International: https://Rebellion.Global/

1. #TellTheTruth
2. #ActNow
3. #BeyondPolitics

World Map of Extinction Rebellion Groups: https://Rebellion.Global/branches/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk49vAmNoiQ

[Defining the problem - opinion]
*Humans are good at thinking their way out of problems, but climate
change is outfoxing us*
https://phys.org/news/2020-01-humans-good-problems-climate-outfoxing.html

[hard freeze goes soft]
*Ice fishing, a Minn. tradition, cracks as winters warm*
https://www.eenews.net/stories/1062204501

[Dave Roberts tells us how to get ready]
*Social tipping points are the only hope for the climate*
A new paper explores how to trigger them.
Jan 29, 2020, 10:10am
At this point, the targets enshrined in the Paris climate agreement --
holding the rise in global average temperature to a maximum of 2 degrees
Celsius, with efforts to limit to 1.5C -- are beyond the reach of
incrementalism. If the world's large economies had begun a slow, steady
reduction in greenhouse gas emissions back in the 1990s, it might have
sufficed. But action has been delayed so long now that only rapid,
radical change can still do the job...
- - -
At this point, the targets enshrined in the Paris climate agreement --
holding the rise in global average temperature to a maximum of 2 degrees
Celsius, with efforts to limit to 1.5C -- are beyond the reach of
incrementalism. If the world's large economies had begun a slow, steady
reduction in greenhouse gas emissions back in the 1990s, it might have
sufficed. But action has been delayed so long now that only rapid,
radical change can still do the job...
- - -
New research published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of
Science (PNAS)...constructs a framework for understanding social tipping
points, the systems where they might do the most good on climate, and
the kinds of interventions that might trigger them...
- - -
The more help concerned people can get in focusing their efforts where
they might do the most good, the better. Insofar as science can help
identify those areas -- and this paper is a good start -- it is to
everyone's benefit.

But we probably don't have the brain or computing power to understand
the logic of the collective behavior of 7 billion semi-rational people,
or even the collective behavior of the US's half-billion. There have
never been 7 billion people in the world, or half a billion people in
the US, before. Everything humanity is doing now is happening for the
first time, in unprecedented conditions. Every decade from here on out
will be the warmest humanity has ever experienced and the coolest it is
ever likely to experience again. Again, history is of little help.

Ultimately, there's an element of the miraculous to social tipping
points, of intrinsic unpredictability. They can be hoped for, strived
toward, but they cannot be planned, scheduled, or relied on. There's
nothing anyone can really do with the knowledge that they might be out
there except ... keep working...

more at -
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2020/1/29/21083250/climate-change-social-tipping-points
- - - -
[source PNAS paper]
*Social tipping dynamics for stabilizing Earth's climate by 2050*
*Significance*
Achieving a rapid global decarbonization to stabilize the climate
critically depends on activating contagious and fast-spreading processes
of social and technological change within the next few years. Drawing on
expert elicitation, an expert workshop, and a review of literature,
which provides a comprehensive analysis on this topic, we propose
concrete interventions to induce positive social tipping dynamics and a
rapid global transformation to carbon-neutral societies. These social
tipping interventions comprise removing fossil-fuel subsidies and
incentivizing decentralized energy generation, building carbon-neutral
cities, divesting from assets linked to fossil fuels, revealing the
moral implications of fossil fuels, strengthening climate education and
engagement, and disclosing greenhouse gas emissions information.

*Abstract*
Safely achieving the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement requires a
worldwide transformation to carbon-neutral societies within the next 30
y. Accelerated technological progress and policy implementations are
required to deliver emissions reductions at rates sufficiently fast to
avoid crossing dangerous tipping points in the Earth's climate system.
Here, we discuss and evaluate the potential of social tipping
interventions (STIs) that can activate contagious processes of rapidly
spreading technologies, behaviors, social norms, and structural
reorganization within their functional domains that we refer to as
social tipping elements (STEs). STEs are subdomains of the planetary
socioeconomic system where the required disruptive change may take place
and lead to a sufficiently fast reduction in anthropogenic greenhouse
gas emissions. The results are based on online expert elicitation, a
subsequent expert workshop, and a literature review. The STIs that could
trigger the tipping of STE subsystems include 1) removing fossil-fuel
subsidies and incentivizing decentralized energy generation (STE1,
energy production and storage systems), 2) building carbon-neutral
cities (STE2, human settlements), 3) divesting from assets linked to
fossil fuels (STE3, financial markets), 4) revealing the moral
implications of fossil fuels (STE4, norms and value systems), 5)
strengthening climate education and engagement (STE5, education system),
and 6) disclosing information on greenhouse gas emissions (STE6,
information feedbacks). Our research reveals important areas of focus
for larger-scale empirical and modeling efforts to better understand the
potentials of harnessing social tipping dynamics for climate change
mitigation.
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/01/14/1900577117

[Amazon competes with Microsoft]
*Why is Amazon so touchy about its employees speaking out on climate
change? The answer's right across the lake.*
But if you read what Amazonians posted in their open letter this week, a
certain sore point does keep coming up:

"Microsoft plans to be carbon negative (by 2030) sooner than we want to
be carbon neutral (by 2040). How can Amazon claim to be 'thinking big'?"
wrote Duncan Scott, an Amazon software engineer.

"Hell, if Microsoft can do it (go carbon negative), why can't we?"
echoed Austin Dworaczyk Wiltshire, another Amazon engineer.

"The real pioneer moment went to Microsoft," lamented Annett Stapf, an
Amazon program manager. "I hope Bill Gates scratched Jeff´s
competition-nerve."
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/why-is-amazon-so-touchy-about-its-employees-speaking-out-on-climate-change-the-answers-right-across-the-lake/

[Extinction Rebellion pushes tipping points - the Guardian]
*Extinction Rebellion: charges against five protesters dismissed*
Judge says 'abject failure' by CPS left case lacking key prosecution
witness as police officer goes on holiday
All charges against five Extinction Rebellion protesters have been
dismissed at City of London magistrates court.

The deputy district judge, Vincent McDade, said there had been an
"abject failure" by the Crown Prosecution Service. A police officer who
had been due to be a prosecution witness was not given enough notice
about the date of the trial and had booked a holiday.

Before the hearing on Tuesday, the former government chief scientist Sir
David King had backed Extinction Rebellion over the climate emergency.
"What we are talking about is the most important issue humanity has ever
had to face up to," he said, speaking outside the court. "And when I say
humanity I mean all of us. We're all in this boat together."

"No government, including ours, is doing enough today," King said. "So
what we need is much more action and we need it with a public voice.
That's what Greta Thunberg and Extinction Rebellion have done. They've
put it back on the front pages."

King had written a witness statement that could have been admitted as
evidence in the case. In it, he said: "It is hard to see how the global
temperature rise is to be limited, on average, to 1.5C in the very
narrow timeframe still available unless it becomes a matter of real
urgency within the spheres of national and global politics."

In November, charges against more than 100 Extinction Rebellion
protesters were dropped after the ban forbidding protest in London in
October was ruled unlawful, though other cases continued. About 1,800
protesters were arrested and detained between 14 and 19 October...
- - -
Before the charges were dismissed, Fisher said she had been motivated to
participate in Extinction Rebellion protests out of fear for the future
of her children. "The government response to the climate crisis is
wholly inadequate, so much so that it is criminal," she said. "My
children, especially my youngest, will have a very difficult life which
will be full of conflict, worry and distress. I do not believe he will
have a fulfilling life as a result."

Valentine, a mathematics student at the University of Sussex, said: "The
terrifying immediacy of our situation is hard to grasp but needs to be
communicated, which is why I take action with Extinction Rebellion. I
didn't want to be arrested, it wasn't fun, I would have much rather have
been at home. But the devastation of our planet isn't going to wait for
me or any of us."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/28/extinction-rebellion-charges-against-five-protesters-dismissed

*On this day in the history of global warming  - January 30, 1976 *
The US Supreme Court issues the Buckley v. Valeo ruling, one of several
controversial rulings that effectively allow polluters to interfere with
the US political process.
http://www.fec.gov/law/litigation/Buckley.pdf