[TheClimate.Vote] January 31, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Jan 31 11:25:46 EST 2020

/*January 31, 2020*/

[Time Lapse video]
*Australia fires: State of emergency declared for Canberra region*
Authorities in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) have declared a
state of emergency as massive bushfires rage south of Canberra.
It is the worst fire threat to the territory in nearly two decades,
officials said.
The main blaze, in the territory's south, is burning over more than
18,500 hectares.
Residents in suburbs of Canberra have been urged to "remain alert" for
potential evacuations.

    "The ACT is now facing the worst bushfire threat since the
    devastating fires of 2003," Chief Minister Andrew Barr told
    reporters on Friday.
    "There's now no higher priority for the ACT government at this time
    than the bushfire threat."...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51320333
- - -
[news video and reports - very disturbing]
*Australia wildfire overruns firefighters in minutes as 'day turns to
night' in dramatic video*
"This goes to show what happens in just over 3 minutes," the fire
brigade said. "The crew continues for another 9 minutes on the ground
bringing a massive positive outcome, with a complete safe crew,
protected truck and property saved."...
https://www.foxnews.com/world/australia-wildfires-firefighters-overrun-speed-bushfire-currowan-dunmore-rural-brigade
- - -
[Same video in YouTube]
*Dashcam footage shows how fast bushfires can move when the wind changes*
Guardian News
Dashcam footage captured by the Dunmore Rural Fire Brigade on 4 January
2020. The footage shows just how quickly a bushfire can move when the
wind changes direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRDM3ir3l5M

[Washington Post]*
**We may avoid the very worst climate scenario. But the next-worst is
still pretty awful.*
By Chris Mooney and Andrew Freedman
January 30
The year is 2100, and the world's 12 billion people are still burning
fossil fuels with abandon. Compared with preindustrial times, the planet
has warmed by 4.5 degrees Celsius, or 8.1 degrees Fahrenheit. The
atmosphere is filled with greenhouse gases, and parts of the Earth
sometimes experience temperatures too extreme for humans.

This bleak vision of the future has long played a significant role in
scientific assessments of global warming. Sometimes called the "business
as usual" scenario, it represents a worst case where countries continue
to burn oil, gas and coal unabated -- in contrast with a world where
emissions have been dramatically reduced, and global warming is more
moderate...
- - -
Katharine Hayhoe, a climate scientist at Texas Tech University who was a
lead author of the 2018 National Climate Assessment, says there are
still ample reasons for concern.

Even a scenario involving lower greenhouse gas emissions could bring the
magnitude of global warming foreseen in RCP 8.5, she said. "The envelope
of uncertainty surrounding the change that will result from a given
amount of emissions is not symmetrical: it is weighted towards the
'worse' side of the spectrum," she said in an email.

One key issue: climate feedbacks, or processes by which the Earth
responds to warming by releasing more greenhouse gases. This may already
be underway in the Arctic.

"It's not just our emissions: it's the response of the climate system to
them, too," Hayhoe wrote. "We have to weigh the probability of both of
those pieces together to come out with the right answer. And that's what
keeps us climate scientists up at night."

Michael Mann, a climate researcher at Pennsylvania State University who
is on a sabbatical in Australia, concurred, with a pointed reference to
recent events.

"In the catastrophic fires here (which were enabled by climate change),
twice as much carbon escaped into the atmosphere as was produced by all
of fossil fuel burning in Australia over the last year," Mann wrote in
an email. "These sorts of amplifying "carbon cycle" feedback mechanisms
are not accounted for in the simple sorts of projections that
[Hausfather] and others are using."
- - -
Meanwhile, scientists are already watching the West Antarctic ice sheet
melt, which could raise sea levels by some 10 feet, were it to collapse
entirely.

In this context, 3 degrees Celsius of warming would be "catastrophic
anyway," Mann said.

Peters and Hausfather argue that RCP 8.5 should be largely ignored by
policymakers.

In an interview, Peters said scientists who have used it in studies for
years are fighting against efforts to de-emphasize this scenario, simply
because they've based their work on it. "That's just human nature," he said.

Still, Hausfather agreed the issue of climate feedbacks remains
important, and these could still potentially result in the level of
global warming spelled out in the "business as usual" scenario.

"Our argument isn't that we should ignore the possibility of getting to
4 or 5 degrees Celsius of warming this century," Hausfather said. "It's
that you shouldn't be using unrealistic emissions scenarios to get there."
more at -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/01/30/we-may-avoid-very-worst-climate-scenario-next-worst-is-still-pretty-awful/

[important message in animated philosophical video conjectures]
*Why Humanity Destroyed Itself*
Feb 6, 2017
The School of Life
The real reason we may destroy ourselves isn't really to do with
politics or economics or even warfare. It has to do with our minds...

    ...the strength to resist illusion and lies
    and square up to uncomfortable facts of all kinds.
    We don't need to be aliens of the future to understand all this.
    We can see the disaster scenario only too well right now.

    The fate of civilisation lies ultimately not in the law courts,
    at the ballot box or in the corridors of governments.
    It lies in our ability to master
    the most short-term, selfish and violent of our impulses
    active in the dense folds of organic matter between our ears;
    it lies in learning how relentlessly to try to compensate
    for the flawed architecture of the human mind...

Or visit us in person at our London HQ https://goo.gl/Gmau4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk3QsGzAjKI

Posted on the 20th:
*Nobody Cared When Nashville Drowned*
A new exhibit marks the 10th anniversary of a national disaster the
nation ignored.

By Margaret Renkl - Jan. 20, 2020

NASHVILLE -- On the Saturday I had set aside to visit a new exhibit at
the Frist Art Museum, it rained so hard I was afraid to leave the house.
Nashville was built on the Cumberland River, and even those of us who
live far from its banks are invariably a stone's throw from at least one
creek that drains into the great Cumberland or one of its tributaries. A
deluge falling on saturated soil will flood the creeks and leave water
pooling on low-lying roads. "Turn Around Don't Drown" is a truism I
conscientiously heed.

The exhibit I planned to visit that day, ironically enough, was a
retrospective of the devastating 2010 flood that dropped more than 13
inches of rain on this area in 36 hours -- twice the amount of rain that
fell during the previous two-day record. The Cumberland River crested
more than 11 feet above flood level, leaving 10,000 people in the region
displaced and 26 others dead, including an elderly couple who drowned
when their car was swept off the road not far from my house. ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/opinion/2010-nashville-flood.html

[Bloomberg just now gets it]
*A 1988 Climate Warning Was Mostly Right*
NASA scientist James Hansen's famous global warming forecast ran through
2019. It wasn't all that far off the mark.
On a 98-degree June day in Washington in 1988, physicist James Hansen
told a U.S. Senate committee that "global warming is now large enough
that we can ascribe with a high degree of confidence a cause and effect
relationship to the greenhouse effect." Hansen, at the time director of
the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Goddard Institute
for Space Studies, elaborated that "with 99% confidence we can state
that the warming during this time period is a real warming trend."

Those assertions made headlines around the world, and can be said to
have started the public and political discussion over global warming
(the scientific discussion was already well under way) that continues to
this day. They also caught Hansen some flak from fellow climate
scientists who thought he had expressed himself with more certainty than
warranted. Indeed, the scientific paper on which Hansen based his
testimony, which he wrote with seven co-authors and was published that
August in the Journal of Geophysical Research, cautioned that it was not
yet certain that the warm temperatures of the 1980s were the product of
the greenhouse effect...
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-01-30/1988-global-warming-forecast-by-james-hansen-proved-mostly-true
- - -
[Transcript of Hansen's testimony]
*Congressional Testimony of Dr. James Hansen, June 23, 1988*
The Greenhouse Effect: Impacts on Current Global Temperature and
Regional Heat Waves; Presented to United States Senate Committee on
Energy and Natural Resources, June 23, 1988
https://www.sealevel.info/1988_Hansen_Senate_Testimony.html
- - -
[Newspaper report]
*Hansen vs. the World on the Greenhouse Threat*
Scientists like the attention thegreenhouse effect is getting on Capitol
Hill, but they shun the reputedly unscientific way their colleagueJames
Hansen went about getting that attention

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2015/Kerr.1989.HansenVsWorldOnGHThreat.Science.pdf
- - -
[video summary]
*James Hansen's 1988 testimony after 30 years. How did he do?*
Jun 20, 2018
YaleClimateConnections
James Hansen is known as the "Father of Global Warming", chiefly because
of his 1988 testimony before the U.S. Senate, in which he announced that
"... the greenhouse effect has been detected, and is changing our
climate now."
30 years later, Peter Sinclair asked senior climate scientists how those
predictions have held up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVz67cwmxTM

*On this day in the history of global warming  - January 31, 1989 *
The Los Angeles Times reports:
"Secretary of State James A. Baker III, emphasizing the Bush
Administration's concern about global environmental problems, said
Monday that the nations of the world cannot wait for solid scientific
confirmation of global warming before taking action.

"In the first remarks on global environmental issues by a senior Bush
Administration official since the inauguration, Baker said that the
United States and the world must 'focus immediately' on energy
conservation, reforestation and reductions in harmful chemical emissions.

"'We can probably not afford to wait until all the uncertainties have
been resolved before we do act. Time will not make the problem go away,'
Baker told delegates from more than 40 nations to the newly formed
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change."
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-01-31/news/mn-1251_1_global-warming
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/01/31/science/joint-effort-urged-to-guard-climate.html