[TheClimate.Vote] July 16, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Jul 16 10:06:57 EDT 2020

/*July 16, 2020*/

[yikes in the NYTimes]*
****Trump to Weaken Environmental Rules to Speed Infrastructure Permits*
Revising the 50-year-old law through regulatory reinterpretation is one
of the biggest deregulatory actions of the Trump administration, which
to date has moved to roll back 100 rules protecting clean air and water,
and others that aim to reduce the threat of human-caused climate change...
- -
And in one of the most bitterly contested provisions, the rule would
free federal agencies from having to consider the impacts of
infrastructure projects on climate change. It does so by eliminating the
need for agencies to analyze a project’s indirect or "cumulative"
effects on the environment and specifying they are only required to
analyze "reasonably foreseeable" impacts.

"This may be the single biggest giveaway to polluters in the past 40
years," said Brett Hartl, government affairs director at the Center for
Biological Diversity, an environmental group. He accused the Trump
administration of "turning back the clock to when rivers caught fire,
our air was unbreathable and our most beloved wildlife was spiraling
toward extinction."...
- -
The revisions, if they hold up in court, are expected to lead to more
permitting for pipelines and other projects that worsen global
greenhouse gas emissions. It could also make roads, bridges and other
infrastructure riskier because developers would no longer be required to
analyze issues like whether sea-level rise might eventually submerge a
project.

Documents obtained under public records laws by Documented, a watchdog
group that tracks corporate influence in government, show that the White
House has working with conservative allies to build support for the
measure....
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/15/climate/trump-environment-nepa.html

[Science]
*Climate change: Siberian heatwave 'clear evidence' of warming*
By Justin Rowlatt
Chief environment correspondent
A record-breaking heatwave in Siberia would have been almost impossible
without human-caused climate change, a study has found.

The Russian region's temperatures were more than 5C above average
between January and June of this year.

Temperatures exceeded 38C in the Russian town of Verkhoyansk on 20 June,
the highest temperature ever recorded north of the Arctic circle.

The Arctic is believed to be warming twice as fast as the global average.

An international team of climate scientists, led by the UK Met Office,
found the record average temperatures were likely to happen less than
once every 80,000 years without human-induced climate change.

That makes such an event "almost impossible" had the world not been
warmed by greenhouse gas emissions, they conclude in the study.

In a news release, the scientists describe the finding as "unequivocal
evidence of the impact of climate change on the planet"...
- -
Uncertain future
It is well-known that the Arctic is warming at twice the rate of the
rest of the planet.

Arctic temperatures are estimated to have risen 2C since 1850 compared
with 1C globally.

What impact that will have on the world's weather is less certain.

"Looking at the geological record, we don't think we've had CO2 levels
as high for about five million years," said Dr Hendry. "So we really
don't know what to expect into the future."

"We are," she said, "in uncharted territory".

This year's Siberian heatwaves shows just how extreme conditions can become.

What worries many scientists is that this new climate era we are
entering means many places now experience weather conditions beyond
anything local ecosystems - or indeed human communities - have evolved
to endure.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53415297

[positive activism]
*What Could Possibly Go Right? | Episode 7 with Tim DeChristopher*
Jul 9, 2020
postcarboninstitute
Activist Tim DeChristopher presents his views on our big question with
themes of identity, environmentalism and spirituality.

How the pandemic has disrupted the flimsy "identity-making" of
capitalist culture, as people feel called toward more authenticity and
human connection.

How social media may hinder creativity and empowerment, including in

How a renewed relationship to mortality and vulnerability will have a
profound impact on how we move into the next period of history on earth.

How a new and different mindset could be the greatest gift that we get
out of this disruption.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrO2TPeWpsg

[Video interview ]
*Roger Hallam interviewed by Neta Ahituv (Ha'aretz/Israel) | Extinction
Rebellion*
Jul 9, 2020
Extinction Rebellion
The Day After | Humans and the Environment | Jerusalem Cinematheque
[15.6.2020]
Original here: https://youtu.be/XEdXgB9urN0
Roger Hallam, co-founder of Extinction Rebellion and Jennifer Morgan,
CEO of Greenpeace International in conversation with Neta Ahituv,
correspondent and editor of Ha'aretz newspaper.
https://youtu.be/8lyP9SGZHHQ

[important video]
*We Need To Talk! How to Have Difficult Conversations about the Climate
Crisis*
May 7, 2020
postcarboninstitute
In this webinar with Karin Kirk and Dr. Susanne Moser, we learn how to
grow past our own reluctance and have impactful conversations with
anyone about the climate crisis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBTaxhCP6Q8

[video on disaster preparedness with Andy Revkin ]
*Rethinking Readiness Amid a Pandemic and Climate Crisis*
Andrew Revkin
All the prescriptions and warnings pointing to pandemic threats and a
mix of climate vulnerability and climate change have been clear for
decades. Yet failures to prepare and respond have cost, and could
continue to cost, societies and economies dearly.

What does readiness mean in a world where the risk landscape is a mix of
interconnected potholes, trip wires land mines, where your personal
situation doesn't matter if societal functions break down because others
aren't prepared. What can be added to the preparedness toolkit, personal
and societal?

Join host Andy Revkin in a discussion with Jeffrey Schlegelmilch,
director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness at Columbia
University and author of "Rethinking Readiness."
https://ncdp.columbia.edu/
They're joined by:
Judith Matloff, a veteran journalist, Columbia Journalism School
professor and author of "How to Drag a Body and Other Safety Tips You
Hope to Never Need: Survival Tricks for Hacking, Hurricanes, and Hazards
Life Might Throw at You"
https://www.amazon.com/Drag-Body-Other-Safety-Never/dp/0062970933/ref=sr_1_1
http://judithmatloff.com
Rod Schoonover, consultant in ecology and security, adjunct professor
Georgetown University, former Director of Environment and Natural
Resources at the National Intelligence Council and Senior Analyst in the
Bureau of Intelligence and Research at the U.S. Department of State.
http://twitter.com/rodschoonover

Alice C. Hill, fellow for climate change policy, Council on Foreign
Relations, co-author of "Building a Resilient Tomorrow."
https://www.cfr.org/expert/alice-c-hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwNP_N8Rleg

[Creating slides]
*The Best Data Viz and Infographics on Climate Change Facts*
We’ve scoured the Web to find the best visualizations on climate change
facts from the last few years. All these are incredibly educational and
quite eye-opening. Every visualization in this list has a link next to
it which will take you directly to the original study or research project.
https://visme.co/blog/climate-change-facts/
- - -
*Make sure to save a seat for one of our weekly webinars* to quickly
learn how Visme will transform the way you communicate visually!

We cover a number of topics including:
- Tips and tricks in using Visme
- Best Practices
- Insight into different content types
https://app.livestorm.co/visme/visme-101?utm_source=Website+popup

*On this day in the history of global warming - July 16, 1992 *

At the 1992 Democratic National Convention, Senator and
Vice-Presidential nominee Al Gore notes:

"I've spent much of my career working to protect the environment, not
only because it is vital to the future of my State of Tennessee, our
country and our earth, but because I believe there is a fundamental link
between our current relationship to the earth and the attitudes that
stand in the way of human progress. For generations we have believed
that we could abuse the earth because we were somehow not really
connected to it, but now we must face the truth. The task of saving the
earth's environment must and will become the central organizing
principle of the post-Cold War world.

"And just as the false assumption that we are not connected to the earth
has led to the ecological crisis, so the equally false assumption that
we are not connected to each other has led to our social crisis."

He also declares that President George H. W. Bush and Vice President Dan
Quayle  "embarrassed our nation when the whole world was asking for
American leadership in confronting the environmental crisis. It is time
for them to go."

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/27161-1
http://www.speeches-usa.com/Transcripts/al_gore-1992dnc.htm