[TheClimate.Vote] July 19, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Jul 19 08:16:46 EDT 2020

/*Sunday July 19, 2020*/

[turnabout]
*A Plunge in Mass Transit Ridership Deals a Huge Blow to Climate Change
Mitigation*
Transit agencies ask Congress for relief as commuters return to their
cars and fare revenues tank. Meanwhile, driving direction requests--and
carbon emissions--soar.
- -
For years, environmentalists and other mass transit advocates have
pointed to public transportation as a way to reduce pollution and help
curb climate change. But as cities across the country come out of
lockdown, and people begin moving around again, commuters by the
thousands appear to be choosing driving over public transportation.

One recently updated study found that traffic, and carbon emissions,
quickly rebounded across the world in early June as lockdowns began
lifting. And in the United States, phone and other device data suggest
that while all of the nation's traffic plunged during the height of the
pandemic in April and May, only public transit use remains below
pre-pandemic levels as states reopen...
- -
If that trend continues, it means even more traffic congestion--and
carbon emissions--than before the pandemic, said Elizabeth Irvin, a
senior analyst for the Union of Concerned Scientists.

As the largest contributor of greenhouse gas emissions in the U.S., the
transportation sector is responsible for nearly a third of the nation's
total emissions, according to the Environmental Protection Agency...
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/16072020/climate-change-new-york-city-metro-subway-coronavirus-mass-transit

[Online August 6th]
*American Climate Leadership Summit 2020 will now be a 100% virtual live
event!* Join us each Thursday during the month of August for a series of
live webcasts featuring thought-and-action-provoking topics and speakers
in an engaging and interactive online experience. You'll hear from our
great speakers (plus a few new ones) focusing on the prescient climate
topics updated to reflect our modern times. Each 3-hour webcast will
include engaging conversation, Q+A with you the participants, and a few
additional ways for you to engage, all the while we individually and
collectively avoid air travel and reduce our carbon footprint.

If there was ever a time to make a difference on climate change, that
time is now. Join us to connect on climate, with speakers and each
other, and to move climate action in America forward during these
unprecedented times.
We are making progress and have had some good success in the climate
fight recently, but we are still nowhere near where we need to be to be
comfortable about our future.  The upcoming months, with the elections
and the 117th congress will be pivotal.  Help us all broaden and
activate greater public support and political resolve at the 9th annual
American Climate Leadership Summit 2020.

The topics couldn't be more relevant, and we've assembled some fantastic
climate leaders - Christiana Figueres, Katharine Hayhoe, Senator Sheldon
Whitehouse, Seth Goldman, Naomi Oreskes, Senator Brian Schatz, Bill
McKibben, Chris Anderson (TED) and many others will be joining live.

ACLS 2020 Speakers, Agenda and Registration available at this link

Our usual two day in-person event will now be a series of three-hour
webcasts each Thursday afternoon in August starting at at 2 pm ET/11 am
PT.  We will expand and diversify participation, making ACLS2020
accessible with a pay-what-you-can model.

Attendance at ACLS 2020 will now be on a pay-what-you-can basis.
However, ecoAmerica would greatly appreciate your financial support to
offset the costs of shifting to and hosting a virtual event.
https://web.cvent.com/event/5b81798a-40e8-4872-adfc-e14958de2914/summary

[news analysis]
*The Trump administration cooks the climate change numbers once again*
BY RICHARD RICHELS, HENRY D. JACOBY, GARY YOHE AND BEN SANTER, OPINION
CONTRIBUTORS -- 07/18/20
In its campaign against action on greenhouse gas emissions, one of the
more subtle moves by the Trump administration is its manipulation of the
Social Cost of Carbon (SCC). This number is used to represent the damage
resulting from emitting an additional ton of carbon. Climate economists
sometimes refer to it as the most important number you've never heard
of. Undermine the SCC and you can discredit action to fight climate
change, boost support for the fossil fuel industry, tip the scales away
from renewable energy and counter other important policy initiatives.
Fortunately, in a detailed report on the estimation of the SCC, the
congressional watchdog General Accounting Office has called out this
latest affront to reliable assessment of the science and risks of
climate change.

The SCC is a key input to the benefit-cost analyses required of all
federal regulatory actions, and thus is an important factor in their
justification. The federal SCC estimate has also been adopted by several
states. Examples of the SCC's use are abundant, including the setting of
reasonable federal standards for the performance of private automobiles
and appliances.

Estimating the SCC requires joint consideration of natural and social
science aspects of the climate change problem. A federal working group
spent nearly a decade on this process. Recognizing that the underlying
methodology needed rigorous and impartial review, the interagency group
commissioned a comprehensive update by the U.S. National Academy of
Sciences (NAS). The 2017 NAS report supported the previous approach to
valuing the SCC, recommending a program of research and analysis to
improve the estimate.
The Trump administration did not follow this recommendation. Instead, it
imposed measures to hobble reliable estimation of the SCC. The earlier
working group was disbanded, associated documents were withdrawn and the
NAS study was ignored. Instead, changes were made to limit the SCC's
scope and the weight it gave to future generations. These changes cannot
be justified by either the science or the standards deemed acceptable
for benefit-cost studies.

As a result of the administration's changes, the previous central value
for the SCC - roughly $50 per ton of CO2 - was reduced by nearly 90
percent.

These changes are misguided and pernicious. They limit damages to those
occurring within U.S. borders, and thus reflect a tragic
misunderstanding about climate change and the U.S. national interest.
CO2 emissions, primarily from the burning of fossil fuels, impact every
person on the planet, regardless of the geographical location of the
source. To limit current and future climate change damages, it is in the
U.S. national interest not only to reduce its own emissions, but also to
encourage other countries to do the same. The administration's near-zero
SCC does just the opposite, offering other countries a pretense for
adopting positions that mimic those of the world's second-largest emitter.

There are many other causes for concern. The impacts of our emissions
will be felt most cruelly by the most vulnerable Americans, and by those
countries least able to cope with the ensuing damages. Ignoring the
needs of these individuals and countries threatens to exacerbate
societal inequities at home and to create millions of environmental
refugees abroad. Humanitarian crises that would burden rich and poor
nations alike are the obvious consequences. Preventing these crises is
both the right thing to do and in our own self-interest.

Another critical aspect of the SCC calculation is the value placed on
future generations. Intergenerational equity is a contentious topic.
There are reasonable debates among social scientists about what
constitutes fairness in the treatment of unborn generations. Despite
these disagreements, there is convergence among scholars as to what
represents a plausible range of discount factors. The administration,
ignoring the prudent advice of the NAS authors and other knowledgeable
experts, provides no analysis of its own. It simply mandates a set of
discount rates at the higher end of the spectrum, to the disadvantage of
future generations.
In its assessment of the administration's SCC procedure, the GAO uses
careful diplomatic language. It writes that, ". . . the federal
government may not be well positioned to ensure agencies' future
regulatory analyses are using the best available science." Our
interpretation is more direct: Ignoring the science to cook the numbers
discredits the federal process for public decision-making.

The GAO recommends that a federal agency should be made responsible for
addressing the NAS report, and for ensuring that the best-available
science is used in calculating the SCC. Sadly, there is little
expectation that this recommendation will be heeded by an administration
that denies the reality and seriousness of the climate threat.

Richard Richels directed climate change research at the Electric Power
Research Institute (EPRI). He served on the National Assessment
Synthesis Team for the first U.S. National Climate Assessment.

Trump turns White House into backdrop for political events
Support swells for renaming Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma to honor...
Henry D. Jacoby is the William F. Pounds Professor of Management,
Emeritus in the M.I.T. Sloan School of Management and former co-director
of the M.I.T. Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change.

Gary Yohe is the Huffington Foundation Professor of Economics and
Environmental Studies, Emeritus, at Wesleyan University in Connecticut.
He served as convening lead author for multiple chapters and the
Synthesis Report for the IPCC from 1990 through 2014 and was vice-chair
of the Third US National Climate Assessment.

Ben Santer is a climate scientist and member of the U.S. National
Academy of Sciences. He served as convening lead author of the climate
change detection and attribution chapter of the IPCC's Second Assessment
Report and has contributed to all five IPCC assessments. ...
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/507929-the-trump-administration-cooks-the-climate-change-numbers-once

[38 million evacuated as rains keep coming]
*China Slammed by Floods*
Jul 18, 2020
China Uncensored
Heavy rainfall has lead to sever flooding in most of China. And worst of
all, some fear the Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze River is in danger of
collapsing. Millions are at risk many have been displaced by floods and
natural disasters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ygz6wL1M2s

[Brazil]
*Dramatic footage fuels fears Amazon fires could be worse than last year*
As dry season starts campaigners sound alarm over 'shocking' scale of
fires, as Bolsonaro doubles down on denials

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/17/dramatic-footage-fuels-fears-amazon-fires-could-be-worse-than-last-year

[video summary of Dr James Hansen's collected work]
*Updating the Climate Science: Truth and Consequences: 1 of 3*
Jul 17, 2020
Paul Beckwith
James Hansen is one of my climate heroes. He tried to tell the world
about the grave threat of climate change by testifying to the US
Congress in 1988 but nobody wanted to listen. Ten years ago he wrote the
totally awesome book "Storms of my Grandchildren". He and his team
diligently update numerous graphs on global energy, global temperature,
solar activity, greenhouse gas levels and rates of change, ENSO cycles,
global precipitation and drought, wind, hurricanes, tornadoes,
wildfires, sea level, Greenland and Antarctica ice sheet loss,
butterflies, forcings, aerosols, and paleoclimate. Have I missed anything:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVv9jkgGQEE
- - -
[2 of 3]
*Updating the Climate Science: Truth and Consequences: 2 of 3*
Jul 17, 2020
Paul Beckwith
I continue chatting on James Hansen climate graph updates and key
findings. Global emissions continue rising, exceeding 10 PgC/yr (Gt/yr),
with the airborne fraction from 45 to 64%. Atmospheric CO2 growth is
about 2.5 ppm/yr (5-year mean) spiking over 3 ppm/yr some years. Global
surface temperature relative to 1880-1920 mean is 1.3C (add 0.3 for 1750
baseline). Land surface temperature rise is about double that of sea
surface temperature rise. Northern Hemisphere warming anomaly is
greatest in autumn, then winter, then spring and least in summer.
Siberia is gonzo. Solar irradiance is at a minimum in sunspot cycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2e3EjKdEmw
- - - -
[3 of 3]
*Updating the Climate Science: Truth and Consequences: 3 of 3*
Jul 17, 2020
Paul Beckwith
Global temperature in 2020 is exceeding the record set in powerful El
Niño event 2015-2016, in spite of it not being another El Niño year.
Global precipitation mayhem results in torrential rains with huge floods
in some regions and extreme droughts in other regions (both bad for
crops). Number of powerful Category 3 to 5 Atlantic hurricanes is
trending upwards, as is number of top end tornadoes. Wildfire average is
increasing, correlated with temperature anomalies. Sea level rise is
accelerating, with Greenland and Antarctica ice mass loss rates doubling
every 10 years. Arctic sea ice is getting crushed like a bug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGXAKpE48Vg

- - - -

[source material links from Dr Hansen site]
*Critical Climate Diagnostics and Feedbacks*
http://www.columbia.edu/~mhs119/Temperature/T_moreFigs/
http://www.columbia.edu/~mhs119/

[from the Republic of Turkey]
*De-growth only solution to tackle climate change: Expert**
*Restraining population growth, consumption per capita is way to tackle
climate change, climate scientist tells Anadolu Agency
Burak Bir - 18.07.2020
ANKARA
The problem of climate change cannot be solved without tackling earth's
growing human population, which gives rise to greater consumption and
carbon emissions, according to a climate scientist.

Known as the greatest threat to the planet, the climate crisis is
exacerbated by growing pressure from the human population, while it
continues to increasingly affect the planet's inhabitants.

In an interview with Anadolu Agency, Levent Kurnaz, a professor at the
Center for Climate Change and Policy Studies at Istanbul's Bogazici
University, described the link between climate change and the humans as
"two cycles" instead of one "vicious circle."

The main reason behind climate change is greenhouse gas emission,
especially CO2, he said, noting that a rising number of people will
eventually have an effect on themselves, as more people bring more
consumption, and there will be more emission...
- -
The only solution to tackle climate change is de-growth, not only
economically but also de-growth of the population, he stressed.

As a theory that criticizes economic growth, de-growth is based on
various frameworks, including political ecology, ecological economics,
and environmental justice.

Reiterating the cycles of the growing population and climate change, he
said: "Both cycles need to be broken ... even if we leave aside all our
consumption habits, and keep what we eat at a minimum, if the human
population rises to 20 billion, this problem will continue."

"On one hand, we need to restrain population growth around the world,
and on the other, we need to restrain consumption per capita," he said.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/environment/de-growth-only-solution-to-tackle-climate-change-expert/1914618

*On this day in the history of global warming - July 19, 2001 *Proving
that the wish is the father to the thought, White House adviser Karen
Hughes tells CNN, "The whole issue of global climate change is something
our administration is serious about."
http://web.archive.org/web/20140427081627/http://edition.cnn.com/2001/US/07/19/hughes.access.cnna/