[TheClimate.Vote] July 22, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jul 22 10:15:09 EDT 2020

/*July 22, 2020*/

[follow and obey the money]
*Major Investors To Fed: Act On Climate Change Or Face 'Disastrous'
Economic Consequences*
TOPLINE A bipartisan group of 72 "public and private sector leaders,"
including 40 investors with nearly $1 trillion in assets, sent a letter
to Federal Reserve chairman Jerome Powell Tuesday calling for the Fed to
take action on climate change, noting that the climate crisis "poses a
systemic threat to financial markets and the real economy," with
potential for "disastrous impacts the likes of which we haven't seen
before."...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2020/07/21/major-investors-to-fed-act-on-climate-change-or-face-disastrous-economic-consequences/#1567725b5acd

[New discovery]
*First active leak of sea-bed methane discovered in Antarctica*
Researchers say potent climate-heating gas almost certainly escaping
into atmosphere
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/22/first-active-leak-of-sea-bed-methane-discovered-in-antarctica
[Source]
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2020.1134

[malfeasance found]
*New Emails Show How Energy Industry Moved Fast to Undo Curbs*
The messages, made public in a lawsuit, suggest the E.P.A. rescinded a
requirement on methane at the behest of an executive just weeks after
President Trump took office.
WASHINGTON -- Not long after President Trump's inauguration, the head of
a fossil fuels industry group requested a call with the president's
transition team. The subject: Barack Obama's requirement that oil and
gas companies begin collecting data on their releases of methane.

That outreach, by Kathleen Sgamma, president of the Western Energy
Alliance, appeared to quickly yield the desired results.

"Looks like this will be easier than we thought," David Kreutzer, an
economist who was helping to organize the new president's Environmental
Protection Agency, wrote of canceling the methane reporting requirement
in an email to another member of the transition team on Feb. 10, 2017.

Three weeks after that email, the E.P.A. officially withdrew the
reporting requirement -- and effectively blocked the compilation of data
that would allow for new regulations to control methane, a powerful
climate-warming gas.
The emails are included in hundreds of pages of E.P.A. staff
correspondence and interviews recently made public in a lawsuit that 15
states have brought against the agency over the regulation of methane.
Led by Massachusetts and New York, the states say the documents prove
that fossil fuel industry players, working with allies in the early days
of Mr. Trump's E.P.A., engineered the repeal of the methane reporting
requirements with no internal analysis, then created the rationale for
the decision after the fact...
- -
Lisa Friedman reports on federal climate and environmental policy from
Washington. She has broken multiple stories about the Trump
administration's efforts to repeal climate change regulations and limit
the use of science in policymaking. @LFFriedman
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/climate/trump-methane-climate-change.html
[Read the emails]
https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/methane-ic-remails/a16ae11accccfb2c/full.pdf

[Associated Press in the Guardian]
** *Two firefighters injured as northern California wildfires prompt
evacuations*
Authorities have warned of poor air quality in central and northern
parts of the state due to Gold, Hog and Mineral fires

Wildfires burning in rural north-eastern California have prompted
evacuations and injured two firefighters, fire officials in the state said.

Two firefighters were injured Monday while battling the Gold fire, which
erupted on Monday in Lassen county and has burned several hundred acres.

The two were taken to the hospital but their injuries and their
conditions weren't immediately known, Alisha Herring, a state fire
spokeswoman, said.

Another fire in Lassen county, the Hog fire west of Susanville, prompted
mandatory evacuations and threatened about 170 buildings after starting
last Friday. That fire had grown to encompass nine sq miles (23 sq km).
The Gold fire and the Hog fire are just two of several fires burning in
the region. Authorities have warned of poor air quality in central and
northern parts of the state.

The National Weather Service issued a dense smoke advisory for Lassen
and parts of Plumas and Sierra counties.

An air quality alert was also issued for most of the San Joaquin Valley
due to smoke from the Mineral fire in Fresno county west of Coalinga.

That fire had grown to more than 44 sq miles (114 sq km) and was 62%
contained. Seven structures have been destroyed and 60 remained threatened.

Several smaller fires burned elsewhere in California, including a
450-acre (182-hectare) blaze in Siskiyou county that triggered an
evacuation of the tiny community of Hawkinsville.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/21/california-wildfires-gold-hog-mineral-susanville

[Video discussion]
*The Future Earth: Eric Holthaus and Katharine Wilkinson*
Climate One
Science has given us a realistic picture of what Earth will look like
with uninhibited levels of climate change: increased extreme weather
events, crippled economies, and a world where those with the least are
the hardest hit. What would a radically re-envisioned future look like?
What solutions do we need to replace tomorrow's doom-and-gloom
projections with thriving cities, renewed political consciousness,
equitable societies and carbon-free economies?
Join us with climate journalist and The Future Earth author Eric
Holthaus and Project Drawdown Vice President Katharine Wilkinson for a
conversation on reimagining our role in creating climate solutions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBdrofeHIYI

[This Ban Ki-moon opinion article was removed from publication - "This
article was published early in error. It will be reinstated at the
correct time. " This is an archived version]
*By abandoning the Paris agreement, Trump makes America less safe*
Ban Ki-moon, The Guardian - July 20, 2020
The world needs US leadership - walking away will do nothing to stop the
consequences of climate change
The Paris agreement to tackle climate change is an extraordinary
opportunity. In a remarkable display of unity, almost every nation on
Earth has agreed to make critical changes that will help humanity avoid
disaster. By aiming to limit global warming to 1.5C, it represents the
world's best chance of adapting to a crisis that threatens our planet's
very existence. But President Donald Trump is walking away.

This decision is politically shortsighted, scientifically wrong and
morally irresponsible. By leaving the Paris agreement, he is undermining
his country's future.
Every single day, we see the effects of climate change across the US.
 From catastrophic forest fires in California to rising sea levels in
Miami and devastating flooding in Texas, these changes are a real and
present danger. Our climate is visibly changing and the consequences
will be disastrous for everyone.
Despite this, the president is closing his eyes to reality. He is
turning away from the only opportunity to save humanity from the effects
of rising temperatures. Far from making America great again, his
decision leaves it isolated - as everyone else comes together to face
this great challenge.

President Trump's stance is all the more bewildering because climate
change does not respect borders. This crisis will not bypass America
because he chooses to ignore it. Fires will burn just as wildly and
rising seas continue to threaten coastal cities. No country is an island
and America cannot pull up the drawbridge to escape a crisis enveloping
the whole world.

Walking away will also do nothing to stop the consequences of climate
change arriving on America's doorstep. According to the World Bank, the
effects of rising temperatures could force 1.4 million people to abandon
their homes in Mexico and Central America, where one-third of all jobs
remain linked to agriculture. Many of these climate refugees will head
to the US.

Tackling climate change is an international problem that needs an
international solution. The Paris agreement is the result of decades of
careful work and a solution that will benefit everyone - including
America - long-term. We need a low-carbon strategy for everything from
food and water systems to transport plans and we must design climate
resilience into our infrastructure. By investing in climate-adaptation
strategies now, we can protect against the worst impacts of the risks
and dangers that lie ahead.

A Global Commission on Adaptation report found that investing $1.8tn
globally in adaptation by 2030 could yield $7.1tn in net benefits.
Planning now and prospering, rather than delaying and paying for the
consequences later, will sort the winners from the losers in this crisis
response.

There is a brutal irony in that the world at large is finally waking up
to the climate crisis as President Trump ignores the science. The EU is
creating a Green Deal for a more sustainable economy and China is
greening its infrastructure spending as leaders across the globe realise
that we are running out of options. Without the Paris agreement, America
will start sliding backwards just as everyone else accelerates.

History does not look kindly on leaders who do not lead when disaster
threatens. There is a moral bankruptcy in looking away in a time of
crisis, which resonates down the decades. This is all the more poignant
as, across America, we can see many local efforts to try to plug the gap
in the country's climate strategy. Many Americans understand what their
leader does not: we are running out of time to try to stem disaster, and
their very lives may be under threat.
In Boston, city leaders have launched Climate Ready Boston to help
create a more resilient future by redesigning buildings and waterfront
parks, and elevating pathways. In Miami, the Miami Forever Bond includes
nearly $200m for climate-change adaptation, countering sea-level rise
through measures such as planting mangroves along the waterfront and
raising sea walls.

Politicians from across the US political divide can also see what is
coming - and what is necessary to avert disaster - from Republicans such
as Miami's mayor, Francis Suarez, to the Democrats, who have presented a
Green New Deal. But this international crisis cannot be solved by local
action, important though that is. We need the US to show leadership and
place the whole might of US innovation and expertise behind this most
important of endeavors.

President Trump has made a grave mistake in withdrawing from the Paris
agreement at this critical juncture.

His actions lessen America, a country that has always taken pride in
doing the right thing, at the right time, and seized opportunities for
technological and economic transformation. But it is not yet too late to
find a way back and this is one error that can be undone. We can only
hope that America recognises this before it is too late.
- -
Ban Ki-moon was the eighth secretary general of the United Nations and
is chair of the Global Center on Adaptation
try - https://www.theguardian.com/info/2020/jul/21/removed-article
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?cd=2&ct=clnk&gl=uk&hl=en&q=cache%3Ash7aQx4QC7EJ%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fcommentisfree%2F2020%2Fjul%2F20%2Fby-abandoning-the-paris-agreement-trump-makes-america-less-safe

[NYTimes -text and audio]
*The Teenagers at the End of the World*
Young climate activists like Jamie Margolin are building a movement
while growing up -- planning mass protests from childhood bedrooms and
during school.
By Brooke Jarvis - July 21, 2020
In February, Jamie Margolin gave a talk at the Seattle middle school
from which she graduated just a few years before. As a founder of Zero
Hour, a youth-led group advocating for climate action, she does a lot of
public speaking -- in a few days, she would help warm up a crowd of
17,000 for Bernie Sanders -- but her talks with younger children are
special. She often feels, she says, as if she's speaking to her former
self. She always starts with an apology: "I know this is unfair. I wish
the future could be better than this." And then she ends by telling kids
that they, too, have the power to take action. Before becoming an
activist, she tells them, "I was sitting in your seats, not knowing what
to do."

Her message, about the scary realities of climate change and the need to
do something about them, is a big one for children to take in. One fifth
grader, teary-eyed, asked her, "Do you think we're going to make it?"
But Margolin thinks that young people, armed with information and
outrage, have a unique role to play in combating the environmental
crises that will define their lives. One middle-school student at the
event raised a hand to ask why polluting the earth, because it's so
dangerous and so unfair, isn't illegal, which struck her as a pretty
reasonable question. Children, she told me, "think about it in a logical
way that's more scientific than adults with Ph.D.s. Adults, they go into
a whole explanation, but kids will just be like, This is wrong."...
- -
Last month, Margolin published a guidebook, "Youth to Power: Your Voice
and How to Use It." In the foreword, the Swedish activist Greta Thunberg
writes that it took getting involved with Margolin and the Zero Hour
marches in 2018 to realize that she wasn't alone in being deeply worried
about what was happening to the planet on which she still had her entire
life to live. As she met more young people through her activism,
Thunberg writes, she began to see that, the world over, many in her
generation shared her anger and despair. They just didn't know what to
do with those feelings...
- -
Last fall's explosion of youth climate marches, school walkouts and
media coverage of youth activism followed a similar, if less
spectacular, course. Climate change, which went unmentioned during the
2012 presidential debates and received less than six minutes of airtime
when Trump and Hillary Clinton debated, became a major issue during the
2020 primary season. Candidates' climate proposals became far more
ambitious than they were just a few years before -- though still short
of what science tells us is needed. "So what has changed between then
and now?" the historian Thai Jones asked ABC News. "The answer is
activism."...
- -
Yet many youth climate activists feel that their work is still
misunderstood: A diverse movement with dispersed leadership and a
complex critique of the racial and economic injustice of climate change
gets boiled down to just a few faces and slogans. Margolin has watched
Thunberg purposefully avoid giving speeches, trying to pass the
microphone to other young activists from parts of the world hard hit by
the climate crisis, only to see the media quote Thunberg's quick
comments instead of her peers' carefully written statements. When The
Associated Press cropped the Ugandan activist Vanessa Nakate out of a
photo taken at the World Economic Forum in Davos, leaving only white
activists in the frame, it was both infuriating and unsurprising. So is
coverage that ignores the effort that goes into organizing and treats
youth protests as a mere novelty. All this, too, Margolin finds
exhausting. "The story shouldn't be, Oh, isn't it cute that these kids
are standing up for something," she said. "It should be, What are they
standing up for?"..
- -
In 2017, a report from the American Psychological Association included a
new word, "ecoanxiety," which the A.P.A. defined as "a chronic fear of
environmental doom." It was only the latest in an emerging lexicon of
life in the age of planetary disruption. The most famous of these
neologisms is probably "solastalgia," a word invented by the Australian
philosopher Glenn Albrecht to describe the homesickness you feel for a
place that you have not left but that has transformed beyond recognition
around you. There's also "shadowtime," which "manifests as a feeling of
living in two distinctly different temporal scales simultaneously, or
acute consciousness of the possibility that the near future will be
drastically different than the present." That one was created by the
Bureau of Linguistical Reality, a California-based conceptual-art
project that works with the public to coin words for our disorienting
new experiences. They also came up with "blissonance" (what you might
feel while enjoying a pleasantly warm day in winter but wondering what
unpleasant things it bodes about the future) and "jestope" (an attitude
of hope mixed with cleareyed honesty about difficult realities)...
- -
A 2018 paper in the journal Nature Climate Change warned that the grief
associated with "anticipated ecological losses" may be especially acute
for children and youth. "It is likely to be particularly difficult to
articulate a sense of grief felt over the loss of the future," the
authors wrote. But Gottlieb told me that he hears his peers articulate
precisely that grief all the time. "That fear's always in the back of
our minds," he said. "I won't have a future. It's this constant anxiety,
this thing at the back of your head."
In recent years, researchers have called for more study of how big
planetary changes like climate change affect mental health. A recent
survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation and The Washington Post found
that when it comes to climate change, the emotions that most teenagers
report feeling are anger, motivation and, above all, fear -- but that
they are actually less likely than adults to feel helpless. It also
found that nearly a quarter of them had taken some kind of direct action
related to the climate crisis: walking out from school, joining a
protest, writing to the officials they were not yet old enough to elect...
- -
For Margolin, years immersed in the politics of climate change meant
that there was a lot about the pandemic that felt familiar. Scientists'
warnings went unheeded; government was slow to take the threat
seriously; people protested that measures meant to protect them were
infringing on their personal rights. A global danger initially dubbed a
great equalizer turned out to be far more dangerous for people who
already had less wealth and power. Then the stock market tanked, and the
president and other public figures started calling for the economy to
reopen long before epidemiologists believed it was safe: another
sacrifice of life for money. Familiar, too, were the dread and
uncertainty, the frustration of seeing disaster looming and not being
able to stop it. It was, in other words, as if more of the world were
learning what it felt like to be her...
-
In April, I texted Margolin to see how things were going and got a
despondent answer...
- -
By the time we met in person again, Margolins anger was palpable. The
pandemic was exposing "the same pattern of [expletive]" as the climate
crisis, she said: "Politicians would rather turn a blind eye and pretend
it doesn't exist," at least until things got so bad they couldn't deny
them any longer. She had recently gotten into film school, but so many
things she once looked forward to had simply vanished that she couldn't
bear to talk about it. What if her big chance at adulthood turned out to
be more Zoom classes from her childhood bedroom? "I'm scared I'll let
myself get excited about something," she said.

We were at a park in her neighborhood, on a peninsula that juts westward
from Seattle, sitting far apart. It had taken me a long time to get
there: The high bridge that connects the area to the rest of the city
recently developed visible cracks in its concrete, and suddenly
thousands of cars had to squeeze through a congested detour. The best
estimate was that her section of the city would be cut off in this way
for years. Margolin joked that given the way 2020 was going, an alien
invasion might be next, but the truth was that she no longer found big
cracks in the basic infrastructure of life to be surprising.

Lately, though, she had been thinking about the value of uncertainty:
that big, sudden shifts could mean progress as well as disaster.
Margolin had recently been to a Black Lives Matter march in her
neighborhood, had seen public opinion race toward recognition of
emergency at warp speed. Even when she felt her most tired and cynical,
she could still imagine the world transforming -- becoming new, becoming
better.

The goal wasn't to go back to normal, after all: "The status quo was
people being murdered by the police. The status quo was the climate
crisis." It was still frightening to think about the future, but part of
that fear had to do with understanding the perils of hope.

"I'm trying not to feel," she said. Instead, her plan was to focus on
just doing the work that she could do, because she no longer knew what
to predict.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/21/magazine/teenage-activist-climate-change.html

[Opinion NYTimes]
*Could Biden Be the Climate-Change President?*
His new plan bills itself as a "revolution," going well beyond anything
the Obama administration attempted. Is it enough?
By Spencer Bokat-Lindell - July 21, 2020
Mere months ago, back before the campaign trail had closed down on
account of plague, Joe Biden told fellow Democrats who questioned his
commitment to stopping climate change to "vote for someone else." Now,
he's taking their advice.

After clinching the party nomination, Mr. Biden and his former rival
Senator Bernie Sanders convened a task force, headed by former Secretary
of State John Kerry and Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, to
shape his climate agenda. Last week, Mr. Biden unveiled the fruits of
that collaboration: A $2 trillion plan that promises to chart "an
irreversible course to meet the ambitious climate progress that science
demands" while also remedying economic and racial inequality.

"This is not a status quo plan," Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington told The
Times. "It is comprehensive," he added, going so far as to call the
proposal "visionary." But considering the United States has spent well
over $2 trillion just on the coronavirus, a crisis that some have
likened to a dress rehearsal for climate change, does Mr. Biden's plan
really go far enough? Here's what people are saying...
- -
What's inside the plan
During the primaries, Mr. Biden called for achieving net-zero emissions
before 2050, in keeping with the Paris climate agreement, by spending
$1.7 trillion over 10 years -- a significantly more aggressive plan than
Hillary Clinton's in 2016, but still "hopelessly inadequate," according
to New York magazine's David Wallace-Wells.

Mr. Biden's updated proposal both increases the investment by $300
billion and shrinks the timetable to four years. Here's where that money
would go:

The power sector: By 2035, the country would run on 100 percent
emissions-free electricity.

Transit: The plan promises "the cleanest, safest and fastest rail system
in the world," as well as high-quality, zero-emissions public
transportation in every American city with 100,000 or more residents by
2030.

Buildings: At least one million well-paying union jobs would be created
to upgrade four million buildings and weatherize two million homes over
four years.

The auto industry: Another million jobs would be created to electrify
the country's car, bus and truck fleets, positioning American auto
workers and manufacturers "to win the 21st century."

Innovation: $400 billion would be allocated to the research and
development of renewable energy technologies.

Sustainable agriculture and conservation: Mr. Biden would create a
civilian climate corps, modeled after Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal-era
Civilian Conservation Corps, to protect and restore vulnerable ecosystems.

Environmental justice: The plan would also link environmental reform to
redressing racial and economic inequality by directing 40 percent of the
$2 trillion investment to communities hardest hit by pollution,
constructing 1.5 million sustainable affordable housing units and
establishing an environmental and climate justice division within the
Justice Department...
- -
Wisely, Mr. Biden's plan also does not rule out the use of nuclear
power, The Washington Post's editorial board writes. While Mr. Markey's
and Ms. Ocasio-Cortez's proposal left the door open to nuclear power,
some environmentalists harbor strong oppositions to the technology,
which the board calls "irrational." At the same time, Mr. Biden "rightly
does not guarantee it a permanent place" in the power mix if other
sources can replace it.

And in economic terms, Mr. Biden's plan is exactly what the country
needs right now, the economist Noah Smith argues in Bloomberg. Millions
of Americans will emerge from the pandemic still unemployed, he says, so
putting them to work building clean energy infrastructure makes perfect
sense: "Against all odds, this elderly centrist may end up being the
country's best chance at a genuine successor to F.D.R. Let's hope so,
because if ever there was a time when the U.S. needed a transformative
economic program, it's now."

'We might have hoped for more'
Mr. Biden's climate plan still has one glaring omission, Brian Kahn
argues in Earther: While it has plenty to say about investing in clean
energy, it's mum on the root need to divest from fossil fuels. As Mr.
Kahn notes, the Obama administration presided over an oil-and-gas boom,
and in 2019 the United States became a net fossil fuel exporter, sending
8.5 million barrels of petroleum around the world every day. So by 2050,
barring an unlikely breakthrough in technology that can scrub greenhouse
gases from the air, the United States can't just stop using fossil
fuels; it has to stop digging them up, too.
- -
Another issue with Mr. Biden's plan is that it does nothing to reduce
the use of cars, Carlton Reid writes in Forbes. To the contrary, Mr.
Reid says, his plan further entrenches American car dependency by
wrapping it "in Trump-style 'America first' nationalism." As the Times
columnist Farhad Manjoo has explained, electric cars are no panacea:
"They are more efficient than gas-powered cars, but they still consume a
lot of resources to produce, and if they result in people driving more,
they may not greatly reduce overall emissions."

And more broadly, Mr. Biden's nationalist solutions don't quite jibe
with the global nature of the problem, Kate Aronoff argues at The New
Republic. Much of the world's state-of-the-art renewable energy
technology is being developed and manufactured in countries where labor
expenses are lower, she notes, so if the goal is to deploy as much clean
energy as quickly as possible, Mr. Biden should accept that a
carbon-free American economy can't be made entirely in America.

"There's still plenty of room for genuine U.S. leadership, and even for
the U.S. to make more things domestically," she writes. "Any climate
plan that pits the U.S. against the world in the midst of a truly global
crisis, though, can only kick off a race toward a warmer, uglier future."...
more at -
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/opinion/biden-climate-change.html

[general curiosity]
*How Earth's Climate Changes Naturally (and Why Things Are Different Now)*
Earth's climate has fluctuated through deep time, pushed by these 10
different causes. Here's how each compares with modern climate change.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-earths-climate-changes-naturally-and-why-things-are-different-now-20200721/

*On this day in the history of global warming - July 22, 2013 *

Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), a carbon-tax advocate running for the seat left
vacant by the passing of Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ), shocks the
Washington establishment by bluntly stating that "millions will die" if
something is not done to address carbon pollution. (Rep. Holt would go
on to lose the Democratic Senate primary to Newark, NJ mayor Cory
Booker, who won the seat in the general election.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_O4nEMAtP4&sns=em

http://www.politifact.com/new-jersey/statements/2013/jul/28/rush-holt/rush-holt-warns-millions-will-die-climate-change-g/