[TheClimate.Vote] March 13, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Mar 13 10:10:56 EDT 2020

/*March 13 , 2020*/

[similarity]
*Q&A: A Harvard Expert on Environment and Health Discusses Possible Ties
Between COVID and Climate*
Air pollution makes people more vulnerable to respiratory infections;
climate change brings people in closer contact with animals that can
spread disease...
- -
*How certain are you that there could be a next time, a next pandemic,
and that climate change could play a role in that, to bring it all full
circle?*

    The likelihood is high that this will happen. This has happened
    through human history but the data we have shows that the pace is
    accelerating. That's not terribly surprising. We're living in highly
    dense urban places. Air travel is much more prevalent than it used
    to be. And climate is a part of what is fundamentally reshaping our
    relationship with the natural world.

    We are concerned, for instance, that the trees of New England are
    changing, turning over rapidly, and the new forests taking over New
    England may in fact be more fire-prone.  Wildfires, which destroy
    forests and habitat, can lead to human-animal interfaces that
    wouldn't have happened. Because when animals lose their homes
    they're going to go somewhere else. Climate change is a
    destabilizing force when it comes to the spread of infection through
    several potential pathways.

    If you wanted to do something to prevent disease emergence, first of
    all we need to seriously reconsider how we do business with the
    biosphere. We can't simply pretend that we can extract things and
    put species in assortments that they've never been in before, and
    hope that somehow doesn't lead to disease emergence. And another
    good thing to do would be to prevent climate change because it
    changes how we relate to other species.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/11032020/coronavirus-harvard-doctor-climate-change-public-health

[examination]
*What Climate Change Can Teach Us About Fighting the Coronavirus*
**By Somini Sengupta
March 12, 2020
"Alarming levels of inaction." That is what the World Health
Organization said Wednesday about the global response to coronavirus.

It is a familiar refrain to anyone who works on climate change, and it
is why global efforts to slow down warming offer a cautionary tale for
the effort to slow down the pandemic.

"Both demand early aggressive action to minimize loss," said Kim Cobb, a
climate scientist at the Georgia Institute of Technology who was
teaching classes remotely this week. "Only in hindsight will we really
understand what we gambled on and what we lost by not acting early enough."

Scientists like Dr. Cobb have, for years, urged world leaders to bend
the curve of planet-warming emissions. Instead, emissions have raced
upward. Now the consequences are being felt: a three-month-long flood in
the Florida Keys, wildfires across a record hot and dry Australia,
deadly heat waves in Europe...

Gernot Wagner, a climate economist at New York University, called the
virus "climate change on warp speed."

*Why have we not taken climate risks to heart? Politics and psychology
play a role.*
Change is hard when there's a powerful industry blocking it. The fossil
fuel industry has pushed climate science denial into the public
consciousness. It has lobbied against policies that could rein in the
emissions of planet-warming gases. And, it has succeeded: The United
States, history's biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, is the only
country in the world to have withdrawn from the Paris accord, designed
to stave off the most catastrophic effects of climate change.

On display this week was some of that same disregard for scientific
evidence with respect to coronavirus, which prompted an unusually blunt
editorial in Science magazine. It called out President Trump for
demanding a coronavirus vaccine at a time when his administration had
gutted funding for scientific research and repeatedly questioned the
fundamentals of science, saying, "you can't insult science when you
don't like it and then suddenly insist on something that science can't
give on demand."...
Then, there's human psychology. As with climate change, our collective
ability to confront the pandemic is shaped by our brains. We are bad at
thinking about tomorrow.

Elke Weber, a behavioral scientist at Princeton University, said that
makes climate science, which deals in future probabilities, "hard to
process and hard for us to be afraid of."

"We are evolutionarily wired for taking care of the here and now," Dr.
Weber said. "We are bad at these decisions that require planning for the
future."

That appears to be true even if the future isn't so far away. The Arctic
is on track to be ice-free in summers in 20 years, researchers say,
while the Amazon rain forest could turn into a savanna in 50 years.

Here, too, are lessons for our ability to confront the virus. Precisely
because we are bad as individuals at thinking about tomorrow, economists
and psychologists say it's all the more important to have leaders enact
policies that enable us to protect ourselves against future risk.

For coronavirus, those may be costly now, Dr. Wagner pointed out in a
telephone interview, but they yield huge benefits in the not-too-distant
future.

"It's costs today and benefits within days and weeks," Dr. Wagner said
of the needed coronavirus measures. "Even though the time scale is
compressed, we still apparently can't figure out what to do."...
Scientists have repeatedly said that global emissions must be reduced by
half over the next decade in order to keep average temperatures from
rising to below 1.5 degrees Celsius, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit, from
preindustrial levels. A failure to do so is likely to usher in
catastrophes as early as 2040, including the inundation of coastlines,
worsening wildfires and droughts.

Those warnings don't spark much policy change. We are not told to do the
climate equivalent of coughing into our elbows. We are not discouraged
from flying. Instead, sales of sports utility vehicles soar. The Amazon
burns so more soy and cattle can be produced.

The dangers of to human life, though, are already being felt. Climate
change was linked to a crippling drought around Cape Town in 2018. Heat
waves in Western Europe last summer resulted in hundreds of additional
deaths, according to government agencies. In England alone, over the
course of two months, there were an additional 892 deaths, mostly older
people, while in France that number was 1,435.

A study by University of Chicago researchers projected that, by 2100,
climate change would kill roughly as many people as the number who die
of cancer and infectious disease today. As with the European heat waves,
the most vulnerable in society will bear the brunt. "Today's poor bear a
disproportionately high share of the global mortality risks of climate
change," the paper concluded.

But here's the big unknown: Will the effort to revive the global economy
after the pandemic accelerate the emissions of planet-warming gases,
rather than avert climate change? That depends on whether the world's
big economies, like China and the United States, use this moment to
enact green growth policies or continue to prop up fossil fuel industries.

This was to be a crucial year for global climate goals, with presidents
and prime ministers under pressure to get more ambitious about reining
in greenhouse gas emissions when they gather for United Nations-led
climate talks in Glasgow in November. The United Nations Secretary
General, Antonio Guterres, has leaned on world leaders to announce more
ambitious targets and to end what he called "vast and wasteful subsidies
for fossil fuels."

In a speech this week, Mr. Guterres hinted at another deficit faced by
both the health and climate crises...
"In the months ahead, we need to rebuild trust," he said. "We need to
demonstrate that international cooperation is the only way to deliver
meaningful results."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/climate/climate-change-coronavirus-lessons.html

- - -

[last week in the New Yorker]
*What Can the Coronavirus Teach Us?*
By Bill McKibben
March 5, 2020
There's nothing good about the novel coronavirus--it's killing many
people, and shutting millions more inside, with fear as their main
companion. However, if we're fated to go through this passage, we may as
well learn something from it, and it does strike me that there are a few
insights that are applicable to the climate crisis that shadows all of
our lives.

Some of these lessons are obvious: giant cruise ships are climate
killers and, it turns out, can become floating sick wards. Other ideas
evaporate once you think about them: China is producing far less carbon
dioxide, for the moment, but, completely apart from the human toll,
economic disruption is not a politically viable way to deal with global
warming in the long term, and it also undercuts the engines of
innovation that bring us, say, cheap solar panels.

Still, it's worth noting how nimbly millions of people seem to have
learned new patterns. Companies, for instance, are scrambling to stay
productive, even with many people working from home. The idea that we
need to travel each day to a central location to do our work may often
be the result of inertia, more than anything else. Faced with a real
need to commute by mouse, instead of by car, perhaps we'll see that the
benefits of workplace flexibility extend to everything from gasoline
consumption to the need for sprawling office parks.

Of course, that's a lesson that can be learned in reverse as well. The
best excuse for an office is people bouncing ideas off one another, and
the best excuse for a society is just people bouncing off one another,
something that's getting harder right now, as events start cancelling.
But the "social distancing" that epidemiologists now demand of us to
stop the spread of infectious diseases is actually already too familiar
to lots of Americans. Living lives of comparative, suburban isolation,
we already have fewer close friends than we used to. (Health-care
authorities warned, on Thursday, of a serious epidemic of loneliness,
which older Americans are more vulnerable to. The research shows that,
when controlling for all other variables, older Americans who reported
being lonely are twice as likely to die prematurely than those who
aren't.) But the patterns that produce this solitude in our culture are
so ingrained that we've come to take them for granted. Perhaps, in an
odd way, the prospect of forced isolation may lead us to embrace a bit
more gregariousness when the virus relents. I can't imagine what it's
like to be penned up in a Wuhan apartment; I can guess, though, that
liberation will feel sweet when it comes, not only because people
presumably will be safe but because they can be social. A certain kind
of environmentalist has long hoped that we'll learn to substitute human
contact for endless consumption; maybe this is the kind of shock that
might open a few eyes. (Also, strained global supply chains are a good
reminder that local agriculture has very practical benefits.)

This might also be the moment when we decide to fully embrace the idea
that science, you know, works. My grandfather was, for many decades,
doctor to the tiny town of Kirkland, Washington, now a suburb filled
with software execs, which has turned into an American coronavirus
ground zero. So I'm thinking frequently of the brave nurses and
paramedics carrying out front-line care, and also the researchers who
have scrambled with remarkable speed to produce prototype vaccines.
Elites seem a little better when they come bearing cures. And that
should probably carry over to other realms: Americans, polling shows,
are wary of Trump's cavalier disregard for reality when it comes to
global warming; now he's claiming that the virus is a hoax, as well.
Given his contention that maybe a "miracle" might make it "disappear,"
I'd expect that skepticism to keep growing.

And one would also expect a growing awareness that what happens
elsewhere matters--that there's no real way to shut out the rest of the
planet. That's true for the virus, which seems to have seeped through
most of the world's borders in a matter of days. It's even truer, of
course, for the CO2 molecule. Not even a guy in a hazmat suit, clutching
a temperature gun, can slow down the warm air cascading up to the
Arctic, or the hurricane headed across the Atlantic. So maybe it's a
moment when we remember that cooperation with the rest of the world is a
boon, not a trap.

Above all, I think, a physical shock like covid-19 is a reminder that
the world is a physical place. That's easy to forget when we apprehend
it mostly through screens, or through the cozy, contained environments
that make up most of our lives. We seem to have a great deal of control,
right until the moment that we don't have any. Things can go very, very
wrong, and very, very quickly. That's precisely what scientists have
been telling us for decades now about the climate crisis, and it's what
people have learned, from Australia to California, Puerto Rico, and
everywhere that flood and fire has broken out. That planets get sick
slightly slower than populations do--over a few decades, not a few
weeks--doesn't change the basic calculation. Biology doesn't really care
what we think of it, any more than physics or chemistry does. Reality is
capable of biting, and biting hard...
https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-a-warming-planet/what-can-the-coronavirus-teach-us

[Warning]
*Here's Exactly How a Trump 2020 Win Would Spark a Nightmare Climate
Scenario*
By Geoff Dembicki
Feb 12 2020

A second Trump administration wouldn't just let energy companies run
wild, it would encourage other countries to abandon the fight to cut
emissions.
- -
Goldwyn and his colleague Andrea Clabough described the gifts oil and
gas companies could receive from a reelected Trump in a paper this
January for the Atlantic Council. These gifts include legislation
handicapping the ability of states and tribal authorities to oppose
fossil fuel projects, doubling down on efforts to open Alaska's Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling, and a Federal Energy
Regulatory Commission dominated by Republicans, meaning even less
environmental oversight of new oil pipelines or liquefied natural gas
terminals. Granting the fossil fuel industry's wildest wish list is an
ongoing project--last week, the administration finalized a policy giving
energy companies mining access to 5 million acres of previously
federally protected wilderness.

Trump is also locking in the damage further by appointing conservative
judges favorable to these rollbacks. These include Brett Kavanaugh, a
longtime opponent of climate regulations. Trump's administration has
already appointed 50 federal appeals judges, compared to the 55 Obama
appointed during his entire eight-year presidency, a trend that will
continue in Trump's second term as long as Republicans maintain control
of the Senate. If those judges make rulings limiting the government's
power to fight climate change, future administrations--Democratic or
Republican--could have a difficult time reversing the onslaught of
climate-destroying regulations during the dwindling years we have left
to hit 1.5 or 2 degrees...
- -
[another view - of the future]
*Trump could trigger an international catastrophe*
Trump already badly damaged the international effort to fight climate
change by announcing withdrawal from the Paris Agreement in 2017--a move
especially insulting to the rest of the world because the accords were
designed to satisfy U.S. demands. For example, Obama pushed for Paris to
be voluntary so he could sign on without approval from the
Republican-dominated Senate. But four more years of U.S. absence could
be a deathblow. "I predict a scenario of dysfunction and dissension and
probably a breakdown of the treaty," Sachs said.

The agreement as it stands is insufficient. Plans submitted by countries
would ideally only limit temperature rise to 2.7 degrees. In theory,
countries are supposed to keep increasing their ambition, submitting
ever more transformative plans that reduce the odds of climate impacts
becoming cataclysmic. But big emitters are already failing to do so, and
with Trump reelected countries like China or India might give up on
meeting their already more modest goals. This could set off a chain
reaction where other big emitters like Australia withdraw, sending the
process into disarray and potentially killing Paris altogether. "Such
outcomes would be disastrous and threaten the habitability of many parts
of the planet," Sachs writes.

We are already seeing a version of this play out in Brazil, where
deforestation of the Amazon rainforest was actually declining in the
mid-2000s, but is now accelerating under the far-right presidency of
Jair Bolsonaro. "He is largely feeling like he is not beholden to a U.S.
president or the international community," Larsen from the Rhodium Group
said. "The signal that a Trump reelection would send about America's
willingness to rejoin the international community on emissions is going
to be very important."

That's an understatement. If Trump wins in November, the climate is
screwed."In that respect, the outcome of the election is highly
determinative of the future course of [climate and energy] regulation,"
Goldwyn explained.
more at -
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bvg7yz/heres-exactly-how-a-trump-2020-win-would-spark-a-nightmare-climate-scenario

[restoration is a positive term - video]
*Climate Restoration with Peter Wadhams & Peter Fierkowsky**
*Mar 12, 2020
Scientists Warning
'Climate Restoration' is the proverbial 'third leg of the stool' along
with mitigation and adaptation. We need to get our heads around the idea
that it's not enough to aim at reducing emissions and adapting the the
changes already 'dialed in' to the climate system. We must establish a
goal of getting atmospheric carbon levels down to a point where human
survival with conditions resembling those in which civilization
developed and flourished.
Enjoy this intriguing discussion of Climate Restoration recorded live at
the UN-sponsored COP-25 climate negotiations in Madrid, Spain in
December 2019.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpWHIPXeIxU

[Propaganda war report]
Climate disinformation bloated by automated bots
*Revealed: quarter of all tweets about climate crisis produced by bots*
Draft of Brown study says findings suggest 'substantial impact of
mechanized bots in amplifying denialist messages'
The Guardian (U.K.), Feb. 21, 2020
The social media conversation over the climate crisis is being reshaped
by an army of automated Twitter bots, with a new analysis finding that a
quarter of all tweets about climate on an average day are produced by
bots, the Guardian can reveal.

The stunning levels of Twitter bot activity on topics related to global
heating and the climate crisis is distorting the online discourse to
include far more climate science denialism than it would otherwise.

An analysis of millions of tweets from around the period when Donald
Trump announced the US would withdraw from the Paris climate agreement
found that bots tended to applaud the president for his actions and
spread misinformation about the science.

The study of Twitter bots and climate was undertaken by Brown University
and has yet to be published. Bots are a type of software that can be
directed to autonomously tweet, retweet, like or direct message on
Twitter, under the guise of a human-fronted account.

"These findings suggest a substantial impact of mechanized bots in
amplifying denialist messages about climate change, including support
for Trump's withdrawal from the Paris agreement," states the draft
study, seen by the Guardian.

On an average day during the period studied, 25% of all tweets about the
climate crisis came from bots. This proportion was higher in certain
topics – bots were responsible for 38% of tweets about "fake science"
and 28% of all tweets about the petroleum giant Exxon.

Conversely, tweets that could be categorized as online activism to
support action on the climate crisis featured very few bots, at about 5%
prevalence. The findings "suggest that bots are not just prevalent, but
disproportionately so in topics that were supportive of Trump's
announcement or skeptical of climate science and action", the analysis
states.

Thomas Marlow, a PhD candidate at Brown who led the study, said the
research came about as he and his colleagues are "always kind of
wondering why there's persistent levels of denial about something that
the science is more or less settled on".

The researchers examined 6.5m tweets posted in the days leading up to
and the month after Trump announced the US exit from the Paris accords
on 1 June 2017. The tweets were sorted into topic category, with an
Indiana University tool called Botometer used to estimate the
probability the user behind the tweet is a bot.

Marlow said he was surprised that bots were responsible for a quarter of
climate tweets on an average day. "I was like, 'Wow that seems really
high,'" he said.

The consistent drumbeat of bot activity around climate topics is
highlighted by the day of Trump's announcement, when a huge spike in
general interest in the topic saw the bot proportion drop by about half
to 13%. Tweets by suspected bots did increase from hundreds a day to
more than 25,000 a day during the days around the announcement but it
wasn't enough to prevent a fall in proportional share.

Trump has consistently spread misinformation about the climate crisis,
most famously calling it "bullshit" and a "hoax", although more recently
the US president has said he accepts the science that the world is
heating up. Nevertheless, his administration has dismantled any major
policy aimed at cutting planet-warming gases, including car emissions
standards and restrictions on coal-fired power plants.

The Brown University study wasn't able to identify any individuals or
groups behind the battalion of Twitter bots, nor ascertain the level of
influence they have had around the often fraught climate debate.

However, a number of suspected bots that have consistently disparaged
climate science and activists have large numbers of followers on
Twitter. One that ranks highly on the Botometer score, @sh_irredeemable,
wrote "Get lost Greta!" in December, in reference to the Swedish climate
activist Greta Thunberg.

This was followed by a tweet that doubted the world will reach a
9-billion population due to "#climatechange lunacy stopping progress".
The account has nearly 16,000 followers.

Another suspected bot, @petefrt, has nearly 52,000 followers and has
repeatedly rejected climate science. "Get real, CNN: 'Climate Change'
dogma is religion, not science," the account posted in August. Another
tweet from November called for the Paris agreement to be ditched in
order to "reject a future built by globalists and European eco-mandarins".

Twitter accounts spreading falsehoods about the climate crisis are also
able to use the promoted tweets option available to those willing to pay
for extra visibility. Twitter bans a number of things from its promoted
tweets, including political content and tobacco advertising, but allows
any sort of content, true or otherwise, on the climate crisis.

Research on internet blogs published last year found that climate
misinformation is often spread due to readers' perception of how widely
this opinion is shared by other readers.

Stephan Lewandowsky, an academic at the University of Bristol who
co-authored the research, said he was "not at all surprised" at the
Brown University study due to his own interactions with climate-related
messages on Twitter.

"More often than not, they turn out to have all the fingerprints of
bots," he said. "The more denialist trolls are out there, the more
likely people will think that there is a diversity of opinion and hence
will weaken their support for climate science.

"In terms of influence, I personally am convinced that they do make a
difference, although this can be hard to quantify."

John Cook, an Australian cognitive scientist and co-author with
Lewandowsky, said that bots are "dangerous and potentially influential",
with evidence showing that when people are exposed to facts and
misinformation they are often left misled.

"This is one of the most insidious and dangerous elements of
misinformation spread by bots – not just that misinformation is
convincing to people but that just the mere existence of misinformation
in social networks can cause people to trust accurate information less
or disengage from the facts," Cook said.

Although Twitter bots didn't ramp up significantly around the Paris
withdrawal announcement, some advocates of action to tackle the climate
crisis are wary of a spike in activity around the US presidential
election later this year.

"Even though we don't know who they are, or their exact motives, it
seems self-evident that Trump thrives on the positive reinforcement he
receives from these bots and their makers," said Ed Maibach, an expert
in climate communication at George Mason University.

"It is terrifying to ponder the possibility that the Potus was cajoled
by bots into committing an atrocity against humanity."
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/21/climate-tweets-twitter-bots-analysis

[Register for Webinar on Health, Equity, and Climate Change]
- WEBINAR -
*State of the Evidence on Health and Climate: Useful Tools for Communities*
Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM EDT
Advancing the conversation on health, equity, and climate change
Dr. Aparna Bole of the American Academy of Pediatrics and Dr. John
Balbus with the National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences
will lead the second webinar in our series.
The discussion will include:
Updated evidence on the state of health and climate.
How this evidence can be used by localities across the U.S. to implement
health and climate solutions.
How health systems, health practitioners, and community groups can
better collaborate to address the intersecting issues of health, equity,
and climate change.
How we can center the leadership of environmental justice communities in
these collaborations.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/state-of-the-evidence-on-health-and-climate-useful-tools-for-communities-tickets-99469178992

*On this day in the history of global warming  - March 13, 2001 *

The Bush administration announces that it will not regulate carbon
dioxide emissions from power plants, abandoning a campaign pledge under
pressure from the fossil fuel industry.

http://www.heatisonline.org/contentserver/objecthandlers/index.cfm?id=3657&method=full