[TheClimate.Vote] March 20, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Mar 20 10:44:49 EDT 2020

/*March 20, 2020*/

[political news]
*Democrats Want to Include Climate Action in Coronavirus Aid*
The two main proposals are for airlines to reduce carbon emissions and
to extend clean-tech tax credits..

    "Aviation currently accounts for around 2.5% of global greenhouse
    gas emissions. But that percentage is expected to triple by
    midcentury as tourism and travel expand..."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/democrats-want-to-include-climate-action-in-coronavirus-aid/

[See clearly]
*Coronavirus: Air pollution and CO2 fall rapidly as virus spreads*
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51944780

[Ooops! nearly an eights of an inch]
*Greenland's melting ice raised global sea level by 2.2mm in two months*
**Analysis of satellite data reveals astounding loss of 600bn tons of
ice last summer as Arctic experienced hottest year on record...
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/mar/19/greenland-ice-melt-sea-level-rise-climate-crisis
[What happens when ice packs and ice sheets are raised a fraction of an
inch?]

[certainly so]
*Climate Voters Still Want More From Biden*
By Lisa Friedman
March 19, 2020
WASHINGTON -- Ardent climate change voters thought Campaign 2020 was
going to be their election.

Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington centered his entire presidential campaign
on the issue. When he dropped out, Tom Steyer, Senator Elizabeth Warren
and Senator Bernie Sanders each clamored for the mantle of 'climate
candidate' with a series of increasingly ambitious calls for action.

Now, some climate-focused voters said they are struggling with their
feelings as former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. appears certain to
become the Democratic nominee. In interviews with two dozen activists
and voters who consider the planet's warming their top issue, almost all
said they worried that Mr. Biden has not made the issue a sufficient
priority or been specific enough about his plans.
"The response to Biden on climate change ranges from suspicion to
resignation," said Megan Mullin, an associate professor of environmental
politics at Duke University's Nicholas School of the Environment."He
doesn't talk about it very much, and he doesn't talk about it very
convincingly," she said.
Multiple polls have found climate change has been among the top three
issues for Democrats in the 2020 primary, often second only to health
care. And many Democratic voters are happy with the front-runner. One
Super Tuesday exit poll found that 34 percent of voters who cited
climate change as their most important issue went for Mr. Biden,
compared to 28 percent who voted for Mr. Sanders.
Mr. Biden said this week he was prepared to act aggressively. After
winning three more states that held primaries on Tuesday, he extended an
appeal, "especially to the young voters who have been inspired by
Senator Sanders: I hear you. I know what is at stake. And I know what we
have to do."

But Mr. Biden has resisted tacking left on climate change these past few
weeks in the way he did recently when he endorsed Senator Warren's
bankruptcy plan.

His climate change plan would inject $1.7 trillion into the economy with
an aim of achieving zero emissions in the United States by 2050. Mr.
Sanders, in comparison, calls for spending $16 trillion and completely
eliminating fossil fuels from the American economy by 2050. Asked about
it Sunday in a debate, Mr. Biden was unapologetic.

"It is ambitious enough to tackle the crisis," Mr. Biden said. Noting
his home state of Delaware is three feet above sea level and vulnerable
to warming, he told Mr. Sanders, "I don't need a lecture on what's going
to happen about rising seas."...
- - -
He pointed to his introduction, as a senator, of one of the first bills
on climate change and his efforts in the Obama administration on the
Paris Agreement. He also noted that, as part of the 2009 Recovery Act,
he helped direct $90 billion toward clean energy investments that helped
bring down the costs of solar and wind energy.

"That's why not another new coal plant will be built," Mr. Biden said to
Mr. Sanders. "I did that while you were watching."

Surrogates for Mr. Biden said the overwhelming support Mr. Biden has
seen in recent primaries indicated that most Democrats like his climate
policy already.

"It's hard to argue with someone who is winning by such wide margins
that he doesn't have a plan that people like," said Representative
Donald McEachin, a Virginia Democrat who helped design Mr. Biden's plan.
"They know what his climate plan is, and they're fine with it."
Some critics are unconvinced. Laurie Mazer, a renewable energy
consultant in Philadelphia, said she still could not get behind Mr.
Biden's candidacy. Ms. Mazer, 41, said Mr. Biden should set tougher
targets and call for a national ban on hydraulic fracturing, the oil and
gas extraction technique also known as fracking.

"We've got to get to a place where climate change is treated as
seriously as it needs to be," Ms. Mazer said. "I'm sure Biden and I
aren't that unaligned, but sending a message is important for me."...
Liam Shaffer, a 27-year-old wine salesman in New Jersey and supporter of
Mr. Sanders, said working with a product directly affected by climate
change had made the issue one of his top voting priorities. He
acknowledged that he had not read Mr. Biden's climate plan, but he said
his impression was that Mr. Biden did not favor the sweeping changes
that he believes are necessary.

"He represents a return to the way things were run under Obama," Mr.
Shaffer said. "I guess I just don't feel that's enough."

And Alyssa Midcalf, a 25-year-old musician who owns a vintage clothing
store in Detroit, said she disliked Mr. Biden's willingness to accept
corporate donations and the lack of respect she feels he has shown young
activists fighting for aggressive plans like the Green New Deal.

"He has time and time again treated constituents like they don't matter
to him," she said.

Sam Ricketts and Bracken Hendricks, Democratic strategists who helped
write Mr. Inslee's climate change plan, said Mr. Biden should adopt the
plan, which Greenpeace hailed as the "gold standard."

"There's more that his plan can do," Mr. Ricketts said of Mr. Biden. He
pointed to specific renewable energy standards; a strategy for halting
carbon emissions for individual sectors like transportation, buildings
and electricity; opposing fossil fuel subsidies; and providing details
for the promises his plan makes of fighting for low income communities
of color most vulnerable to environmental injustices.

Maggie Thomas, who was Mr. Inslee's deputy climate change director
before joining Senator Warren's campaign, has not yet thrown her support
behind either Mr. Sanders or Mr. Biden. But she said if Mr. Biden does
become the Democratic nominee, "He really needs to show that this is a
priority for his campaign."

President Trump's re-election campaign already is painting Mr. Biden as
radical on climate change, releasing a video after Sunday's debate
edited to emphasize his statements against fossil fuels and mocking
moderate Democrats who had sought to assure voters in gas-rich states
that the former vice president does not intend to ban fracking.
Mr. McEachin said he thought Mr. Biden was open to other ideas, but he
said the notion that Mr. Biden is not aggressive enough was a
misperception. "From a climate change point of view you can't have a
better candidate than Joe Biden," he said.

Collin O'Mara, the president of the National Wildlife Foundation, which
last week endorsed Mr. Biden through its political action fund, called
Mr. Biden's plan and approach to climate change "incredibly impressive."
He credited the activist movement for raising the standard for
candidates to meet.

"In any other election, this would be the strongest plan that's ever
been put out," Mr. O'Mara said. But ultimately, he added, "The best laid
plans are just symbols on a page." He said he supports Mr. Biden because
the former vice president could actually get his ideas enacted.

Jennie Sweet-Cushman, an associate professor of political science at
Chatham University in Pittsburgh, has been making a similar argument to
her students. She cited climate change as one of her top three voting
issues and said she supported Mr. Biden because he is a pragmatist, and
her years studying government have shown her that major structural
changes require bipartisanship.

"If you want any sort of change, you have to have people pushing it that
are willing to listen to the other side, and I don't see that out of the
Sanders campaign," she said.

But Ms. Cushman has had a hard time convincing students like Taylor
Pelow, 20, a chemistry and political science major from Buffalo who said
her dream was to one day run the Environmental Protection Agency. Ms.
Pelow said she believes in banning fracking and wants to see a
transition away from fossil fuels earlier than Mr. Biden does.

If Mr. Biden wins the Democratic nomination Ms. Pelow said she would
vote for him in November, but only because she believes he is slightly
better than President Trump on climate change.
"It's the lesser of two evils at that point," she said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/climate/climate-voters-biden.html

[Dark view]
MARCH 18, 2020
*The IPCC's Worst Case Scenario*
by ROBERT HUNZIKER
The truth of the matter: Scientists' models have been off course,
meaning way too conservative. Similar to the rampant stock market run to
unsustainable heights of recent in contrasts to expectations by a few
smart hedge fund managers, global warming has blown apart analyses of
the smartest and brightest, and based upon a series of recent studies
demonstrating the onset of ecosystems collapsing, e.g., permafrost in
the high Arctic collapsing 70 years ahead of expectations...
- -
It is likely that global warming has morphed into global heating at its
worst and thus more mercurial than ever thought possible. If so, then
batten down the hatches as it will soon become politically a necessity
to force unified global efforts, like the Marshall Plan, to take steps
to combat the biggest threat of all time.

As such, powerful, clear evidence of anthropogenic impact on the climate
system, well beyond the forces of nature, is beyond the scope of debate.
After all, rising greenhouse emissions and rising temperatures run
upwards in parallel fashion, nearly step-by-step, with a lag effect.

Meanwhile, of all the global proposals to combat climate catastrophe,
one of the more interesting is World War Zero initiated by former
Secretary of State John Kerry, former California governor Arnold
Schwarzenegger and former Ohio governor John Kasich. According to the
Terminator: "It's not a party issue at all because there is no
Democratic air or Republican air. We all breathe the same air. There's
no Democratic water or Republican water. We all drink the same water. So
don't fall for those tricks. It's not a political issue."

They advocate net zero emissions as soon as humanly possible. Along the
way, they grandstand the obvious benefits of conversion from fossil
fuels to renewable energy, or the onset of a vast renaissance of global
business with high-wage jobs galore, similar to the industrial
renaissance of the early 20th century conversion from horse and buggy to
gasoline-powered vehicles.

Nevertheless, by all appearances, the planet's climate system has
already been radically altered more so than ever before, or at least as
far back as ice core evidence of a couple million years ago.

Alas, the risk of major breakdown of ecosystems throughout the planet
has never been so prevalent. In fact, it's already started. Greenland
and Antarctica are clear, absolute proof. The overriding question
therefore is whether humanity will go to work to mitigate the
catastrophe as much as humanly possible.

After all, CO2 emissions and global temperatures have risen in lockstep,
but what really counts in the final analysis is the actuality of
physical responses, like the measured massive meltdown of the worlds'
largest masses of ice. That's an incontrovertible fact, yet almost
unbelievable, but still a measure of harsh reality.

*Postscript:* One year ago one of America's greatest climate scientist
Wally Broecker, affectionately known as "the grandfather of climate
science," passed away at age 87. He coined the term "global warming,"
and in 1984 warned the House of Representatives that urgent action was
required to halt accumulation of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere
because, in his words, "the climate system could jump abruptly from one
state to another with devastating effects."

Ergo, his warning of 36 years ago now lingers over Congress.

*Post-Postscript:* During a 2019 BBC interview, James Lovelock (100) the
father of Gaia theory said: "There is a real danger of losing our tenure
on the planet altogether…. We've got to care about this matter of global
warming because if we don't do anything about it, there won't be anybody
here… It's about time we went back to taking an interest in the
environment… What happens to the planet when more CO2 is put into the
air? The earth will get hotter. It will heat up to a point where no life
on it of our kind will be possible…When tough times come, it'll be very
rapid, indeed." (James Lovelock, The Vanishing Face of Gaia, A Final
Warning, Allen Lane, 2010)
https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/03/18/the-ipccs-worst-case-scenario/

[good advice]
*Anxiety and global warming: A growing source of fear among different
age groups*
Sean Krajacic - March 15, 2020
Dr. Karen Cassiday, the past president of the Anxiety and Depression
Association of America, broached a hot topic and stressed that cool
minds prevail as she presented on "Decreasing Worry in the Age of Global
Warming" at the Salem Community Library on Wednesday.

The event was hosted by the Westosha Dems and the Kenosha Democratic Party.

Cassiday began the evening with the question of how many felt more
anxiety than they had two years prior. The entire room, about 15
attendees, raised their hands.

Moving onto the subject of anxiety and global warming, Cassiday shared
statistics including the staggering number that 72 percent of elementary
students through college students worry about global warming every day.

She stated that research shows that worrying leads to anxiety and a
feeling of being overwhelmed that manifests as losing sleep, headaches
and stomachaches.

The way we consume media is a large factor in the amount of anxiety we
harbor, Cassiday said. In this age, people are bombarded with headlines
and stories pushed to their electronic devices. The more they click on a
specific subject, the more those subjects are fed to them.

"We are hardwired to pay attention to fear," she said.

Cassiday provided techniques to break the cycle of fear, worry and anxiety.

"If you want to change things, you have to have a positive belief
system, compassion and love," said Cassiday.

The simplest way to change your way of thinking is to practice
gratitude. Find three small things each day that you're thankful for and
focus on those, she said..

Beyond gratitude, to weaken anxiety's grip one can: seek news of
successful attempts to manage risk factors for global warming, avoid
criticizing inaccurate news reports and focus on facts about efforts to
manage global warming.

Cassidy said that "simple solutions are empowering." Instead of focusing
on "doom and gloom" and "worst case scenarios," she said we should be
proactive and take small steps such as making recycling routine, or
choosing to use reusable bags instead of disposable plastic bags at the
grocery store.

Cassiday finished her presentation with a bit of parenting advice,
saying that we should strive to raise our children with a skill-based
model rather than a fear-based one.
https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/local/anxiety-and-global-warming-a-growing-source-of-fear-among/article_be6be5b5-6185-56f0-a67a-47259a8c15dc.html

[following the money]
*Study: global banks 'failing miserably' on climate crisis by funneling
trillions into fossil fuels*
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/18/global-banks-climate-crisis-finance-fossil-fuels

*On this day in the history of global warming  - March 20, 2007 *

In a published interview, then-Rep. Wayne Gilchrest (R-MD) notes that he
was blocked from being appointed to the bipartisan Select Committee on
Energy Independence and Global Warming by House Minority Leader John
Boehner because Gilchrest refused to disavow the overwhelming evidence
of human-caused climate change. Gilchrest also notes that fellow
Republican Roy Blunt of Missouri "…said he didn't think there was enough
evidence to suggest that humans are causing global warming," Gilchrest
said. "Right there, holy cow, there's like 9,000 scientists to three on
that one."

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/global-warming-panel-makeup-questioned.33589/