[TheClimate.Vote] May 3, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun May 3 11:06:44 EDT 2020

/*May 3, 2020*/

[Iditarod Dog Sled Race]
*The Last Great Race*
Climate change has altered Alaska's landscape, and the experiences of
Arctic mushers are the canary in the coal mine.
BY KELLY KIMBALL | APRIL 27, 2020
- -
"This all started with us having mushed through a biblical-level storm
from Elim to White Mountain," Underwood said. "The typical temperature
around there is zero degrees." But that morning, it reached 36 degrees
Fahrenheit--well above freezing levels--which triggered the dangerous
alchemy of conditions they experienced that day.

This year, 22 Iditarod mushers ended their races preemptively--the
second-highest scratch rate in the competition's 47-year history. Nearly
all of them quit due to tumultuous environmental conditions. In 2007,
some 24 mushers ended the race prematurely for the same reasons. Scratch
rates will likely climb in the coming years. Studies by the U.S.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) have shown
cataclysmic decreases in sea ice and snow cover across the Arctic since
the 1980s, which could lead to further climate anomalies and a
suspension of the sensitive ecosystem's fine balance. But these changes
happening in Alaska--and in the Arctic Circle overall--aren't only a
musher's problem.
- -
Because of where and when they travel, mushers are among the first
witnesses to climate transformations that eventually stretch across the
globe. A recent Arctic Report Card from NOAA found that the region is
warming at a rate twice as fast as the global average, with the race's
starting line in Anchorage recording the second-highest winter
temperatures in Alaska's history. In winter 2019 alone, monthly
temperatures were about 7.2 degrees Fahrenheit higher than normal, and
the north Bering Sea where Underwood experienced his emergency was as
much as 28.8 degrees Fahrenheit. Data sets that describe what are known
as "climate normals" are taken from a three-decade average across the
United States by NOAA every 10 years, the most recent of which was
captured in 2010. The global temperature, meanwhile, also spiked last
year, recording temperatures 1.6 degrees Fahrenheit above
average--making it the third-warmest year on record.

"Alaska last year was at the epicenter of warmth for the entire globe,"
said Brian Brettschneider, a University of Alaska Fairbanks researcher
who works for the International Arctic Research Center...
more at -
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/27/iditarod-climate-change-alaska-last-great-race/

[Risk]
*How climate change could make infectious diseases even more difficult
to combat in the future*
Natalie Colarossi - May 2, 2020

- The COVID-19 pandemic has been one of the deadliest virus outbreaks in
modern history.
- But researchers fear this pandemic could only be the beginning of a
new battle against infectious disease outbreaks -- the World Health
- Organization warns that climate change could make the spread of
disease even worse in the coming decades.
- Researchers worry that rising temperatures could cause animals to
spread disease in more widespread areas, make pathogens more savvy at
surviving in hot climates, and possibly weaken the human body's immune
response.
- Though today's novel coronavirus pandemic has not specifically been
linked to climate change, here's what could be in store for the future...
- - -
But this might not be the only infectious disease we'll have to battle
in our lifetimes.

According to research from the World Health Organization, and other
institutions, the threat of climate change could make outbreaks even
worse in the coming decades.

Researchers fear that as temperatures continue to rise,
infectious-disease carrying animals could adapt to more widespread
climates, pathogens could become stronger at surviving in hotter
temperatures, and the human immune system could face greater difficulty
in battling illness...
- -
For example, researchers have known that higher temperatures and wetter
climates can can lead to an increase in mosquito-transmitted diseases
such as malaria...
- -
Researchers fear that as the planet warms, mosquitoes will be able to
breed more rapidly and spread disease in typically cooler areas of the
world that have otherwise remained unaffected by the pests...
- -
Similarly, diseases that are transmitted from animals to humans, such as
rats or ticks, have been known to shift depending on climate conditions.
Certain rodent-borne diseases are linked to flooding, which is expected
to become worse as global temperatures rise...
- -
Deforestation could also play a role in the spread of disease. According
to the US Agency for International Development, 75% of new or
re-emerging diseases at the start of the 21st Century have been
transmitted from animals, often because deforestation has brought them
closer to human environments.
Scientists have also noted that as temperatures continue to rise,
animals have begun migrating to typically cooler environments. This
could open up new pathways of disease transmission between animals,
since more species will likely begin interacting with one another...
- -
But an increase in the spread of disease isn't the only way climate
change could impact future epidemics. Warming temperatures might also
make our natural immune systems less effective at fighting off pathogens...
But as temperatures warm around the globe, viruses are increasingly
getting better at adapting and surviving in hotter environments --
including within our bodies...
Research about climate change and the spread of infectious disease is
complex, multi-factorial, and unfolding in real-time. According to the
WHO, "Changes in infectious disease transmission patterns are a likely
major consequence of climate change," but there's still a lot that we
don't know.
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-climate-change-could-impact-the-future-of-infectious-diseases-2020-5

[bookends from a philosopher's essay]
*Beginning with the End*
by Roy Scranton
In this essay, Roy Scranton asks what we mean when we say "the world is
ending." Examining the nature of the narratives we tell ourselves about
the future, he explores what revelation may be before us.
- -
We do not know the future. We do not know when the next storm will make
landfall. We do not know when the next pandemic will erupt. We do not
know when the next drought will strike. We do not know how much the
planet will warm in our lifetimes. We do not know whether we can
renovate global economic, political, and energy infrastructure swiftly
enough to prevent catastrophe. We do not know whether our civilization
will survive the next century. We do not know how many will die...
- -
Like everything else, this too shall pass. The truly revelatory content
of our apocalyptic fictions is that the world is always ending, has
always been ending, just as we are always dying--we spend our lives
caught in the doorway between death and birth. There is no solution to
the riddle of existence, nor to the inevitable fact of extinction: no
amount of sophistication can ultimately justify the suffering that is
being. All we have is compassion, patience, and the recognition that
every possible human future begins with the end of what came before.
full essay at - https://emergencemagazine.org/story/beginning-with-the-end/

[Digging back into the internet news archive - hat tip to Michael E. Mann]
*On this day in the history of global warming - May 3, 1999 *

Bob Somerby of the Daily Howler debunks an April 15, 1999 column by
right-wing Washington Times writer Ben Wattenberg falsely suggesting
that NASA scientist James Hansen viewed Vice President Al Gore as an
alarmist on climate change. In addition, Somerby notes:

"Of course, if spinners like Wattenberg get their way--and the larger
press corps never speaks up--those common sense steps [to reduce carbon
pollution] may never be taken. And reasoned debate, in the coming
campaign, could give way to a lot of hot air. So that's why we offer a
global *warning*, against believing facile spin from these types.
There's a whole lot of hoo-hah floating around concerning Gore and [his
views on] global warming. And we hope that the press corps will get off
its duffs, and bring some clarity to the whole sorry mess."

http://www.dailyhowler.com/h050399_1.shtml