[TheClimate.Vote] May 9, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat May 9 09:12:51 EDT 2020

/*May 9, 2020*/

[top story this time]
*Big Oil's Reign Is Finally Weakening*
By Bill McKibben - May 7, 2020
- - -
Even before covid-19 really bit, Exxon had been "humbled," according to
Bloomberg Businessweek, becoming a "mediocre" company. Now it seems
entirely likely that we have seen peak oil demand, a moment that the oil
companies had predicted wouldn't come for decades. Here's the energy
analyst Kingsmill Bond's precis: "If demand for fossil fuels bounces
back in 2021 by half the amount it fell in 2020, and grows at 0.5% a
year, it would take 8 years to get back to where the industry started.
And in the meantime, the renewable energy revolution has not stopped."...
"The ability of the industry to dictate to governments will weaken,"
Bond said, "and the capacity of incumbents to frustrate the growth of
renewables will reduce." Exit Lee Raymond, stage right.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-a-warming-planet/big-oils-reign-is-finally-weakening

[already]
*It's already getting too hot and humid in some places for humans to
survive*
Extreme conditions are happening more often than scientists previously
thought...
- -
A combination of heat and humidity so extreme that it's unendurable
isn't just a problem for the future -- those conditions are already
here, a new study finds. Off-the-chart readings that were previously
thought to be nearly nonexistent on the planet today have popped up
around the globe, and unyielding temperatures are becoming more common.

Extreme conditions reaching roughly 115 degrees Fahrenheit on the
heat-index scale -- a measurement of both heat and humidity that's often
referred to as what the temperature "feels like" -- doubled between 1979
and 2017, the study found. Humidity and heat are a particularly deadly
combination, since humidity messes with the body's ability to cool
itself off by sweating. The findings imply that harsh conditions that
scientists foresaw as an impending result of climate change are becoming
reality sooner than expected.
- -
https://www.theverge.com/21252174/heat-humidity-human-survival-climate-change-science-advances
- - - -
[Source material from AAAA Science Advances]
*The emergence of heat and humidity too severe for human tolerance*
Abstract

    Humans' ability to efficiently shed heat has enabled us to range
    over every continent, but a wet-bulb temperature (TW) of 35 C marks
    our upper physiological limit, and much lower values have serious
    health and productivity impacts. Climate models project the first 35
    C TW occurrences by the mid-21st century. However, a comprehensive
    evaluation of weather station data shows that some coastal
    subtropical locations have already reported a TW of 35 C and that
    extreme humid heat overall has more than doubled in frequency since
    1979. Recent exceedances of 35 C in global maximum sea surface
    temperature provide further support for the validity of these
    dangerously high TW values. We find the most extreme humid heat is
    highly localized in both space and time and is correspondingly
    substantially underestimated in reanalysis products. Our findings
    thus underscore the serious challenge posed by humid heat that is
    more intense than previously reported and increasingly severe.

Read more:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2242855-climate-change-has-already-made-parts-of-the-world-too-hot-for-humans/#ixzz6Lu8njEhC

[highly recommended book]
*A Field Guide to Climate Anxiety*
How to Keep Your Cool on a Warming Planet
Reviews
"Not surprisingly ... this small book reads like the distillation of
simple folk wisdom."--Geography Realm
"It would be foolish not to freak out over climate change. But it would
be sad if that despair kept you from working hard on this crisis, not to
mention enjoying life on what is still a beautiful planet. This book has
some wise strategies for finding a useful balance."--Bill McKibben,
author of Falter: Has the Human Game Begun to Play Itself Out?

"Ever laid awake at night gripped with panic about the future? Ever
wondered how to make sense of your path in light of the forecasted
climate futures? Bold and beautiful, this hands-on companion is
essential reading for wrestling with the most important issue of our
time."--Kari Marie Norgaard, author of Living in Denial: Climate Change,
Emotions, and Everyday Life

"Written for the Gen Z 'climate generation,' this book is essential
reading for anyone despairing over our current climate emergency and
future of turbulent change. Ray's strategies offer deep and practical
ways to cultivate collective resilience and creative adaptation, and
even thrive in a climate-changed world."--Leslie Davenport, author of
Emotional Resiliency in the Era of Climate Change
https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520343306/a-field-guide-to-climate-anxiety
- - -
[video interview]
*Sarah Jaquette Ray on "A Field Guide to Climate Anxiety: How to Keep
Your Cool on a Warming Planet"*
https://youtu.be/adNUFvsHwio

[Two Beckwith videos on aerosols]
*How the Absence and Presence of Anthropogenic Aerosols is Affecting Our
Skies and Climate*
May 7, 2020
Paul Beckwith
Anthropogenic Aerosols have a large effect on our climate, and due to
global economic shutdowns from coronavirus have been much reduced for
several months. Here, and in the next few videos I get delve into the
science of direct aerosol effects (scattering; blocking sunlight) and
indirect aerosol effects (smaller cloud droplets increasing reflectivity
in the Twomey Effect, suppressing drizzle, increasing cloud heights and
cloud lifetimes in the Albrecht Effect, and Heating Effects dissipating
clouds). Scientists need a good understanding of these effects to reduce
uncertainties in climate models and projections.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ruCxowpuug
- - -
[second half]
*Science of Aerosol-Cloud Interactions Vital to Reduce Uncertainty in
Climate Models and Projections*
In this video and the next I explain the basic science of direct aerosol
effects (scattering; blocking sunlight) and indirect effects (smaller
cloud droplets increasing reflectivity in the Twomey Effect, suppressing
drizzle, increasing cloud heights and cloud lifetimes in the Albrecht
Effect, and Heating Effects dissipating clouds). Scientists can
determine the number of droplets Nd and the vertical updraft velocity
(Wb) at the base of Marine Stratospheric Clouds from satellite
measurements, allowing determination of the number of Cloud Condensation
Nuclei (CCN) which is key to understanding aerosol and cloud climate
interactions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcwTiXfCNsA

[good question]
*How did Michael Moore become a hero to climate deniers and the far right?**
*George Monbiot
- -
We have been here many times before. Dozens of films have spread
falsehoods about environmental activists and ripped into green
technologies, while letting fossil fuels off the hook. But never before
have these attacks come from a famous campaigner for social justice,
rubbing our faces in the dirt.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/07/michael-moore-far-right-climate-crisis-deniers-film-environment-falsehoods

*On this day in the history of global warming - May 9, 2007 *
Grist.org reports on News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch's plans to make his
company carbon-neutral and conscious of climate risk, plans that
apparently did not involve ending the Fox News Channel's fixation on
attacking climate science.
http://grist.org/article/murdoch/