[TheClimate.Vote] May 10, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun May 10 09:16:22 EDT 2020

/*May 10, 2020*/

[Christian view]*
****CATHEDRAL ON FIRE | A CHURCH HANDBOOK FOR THE CLIMATE CRISIS*
The urgency of the climate crisis requires that we act as if our
cathedrals and churches are on fire. Indeed, God's creation can be seen
as one grand cathedral on fire with burning forests and rising
temperatures. Amid this dire situation, Brooks Berndt focuses our
attention on the unique and vitally needed gifts that churches can
offer. He writes with poetic passion but also with an eye toward the
practical as every chapter ends with suggested, field-tested actions.

Chapters in the book explore the following areas in which churches
possess immense potential:

    a commitment to care for God's creation as our first calling
    a scriptural basis in pursuing justice for a planet and its people
    a moral foundation for understanding the climate crisis as an
    inequality crisis
    a powerful, sacred language for articulating what fundamentally
    motivates people to act
    a hope-giving history found in the faith leaders who launched the
    environmental justice movement
    a rich tradition of theology in times of crisis
    a countercultural ethic of generational justice found in the Bible
    a recognition of youth as the climate prophets of today

Click for a sample.
https://www.uccfiles.com/pdf/Cathedral-on-Fire_SAMPLE_PAGES.pdf
https://www.uccresources.com/products/cathedral-on-fire-a-church-handbook-for-the-climate-crisis?variant=31676326117439

[an interactive view from the United Nations]
*Climate change is a women's issue*
http://interactive.unwomen.org/multimedia/photo/climatechange/en/index.html

*On this day in the history of global warming - May 10, *

May 10, 2005: The US Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of
Columbia rules that the White House does not have to disclose
information regarding the infamous 2001 Cheney Energy Task Force.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/10/politics/10cnd-cheney.html?_r=0

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4647599

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/05/11/court_backs_cheney_on_energy_meetings/