[TheClimate.Vote] October 7, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Oct 7 06:21:39 EDT 2020

/*October 7, 2020*/

[aleatory means chance]
*Trillions of extra economic damages predicted in new study of climate
change effects*
by Peter Thorley, University of Warwick
OCTOBER 6, 2020
The world is underestimating the economic effects of climate change by
trillions of dollars, according to a new study co-authored by scientists
from the University of Warwick..
The study, led by Georgetown University and published in Nature
Communications today (6 October), shows that current economic
forecasting models fail to account for unpredictable variations in
global temperatures, rather than the more predictable rising
temperatures themselves.

Co-author Professor Sandra Chapman, of the University of Warwick
Department of Physics, said: "When we cause a system like the Earth's
climate to warm, it does not warm smoothly and uniformly. Changes in the
Earth's temperature translate into economic damages and our work
estimates the additional economic damage that we can expect due to these
fluctuations in earth's global mean temperature on top of the smooth
gradual increase due to increasing CO2 in the atmosphere."

"Our study identifies a new category of economic costs--those arising
from the unpredictable, but unavoidable fluctuations in global climate
that we're bound to face," says Georgetown's McCourt School of Public
Policy Professor Raphael Calel, an economist who co-authored the study
with three scientists from the United Kingdom. "To prevent these losses,
we need a more diverse set of policy responses with increased investment
in adaptation and resilience."

*Cost of Inaction*
The United States, for example, relies on a forecasting model developed
by Yale economist William Nordhaus, for which he was awarded the Nobel
Prize in 2018, as well two other forecasting models that descended from
Nordhaus' work.

But Calel says that these models fail to take into account the
unpredictable fluctuations in global temperatures observed year after year.

"This may seem like a small oversight, but our study shows these
fluctuations will create trillions of dollars of additional economic
damages," Calel says. "Previous work uses a well-known procedure for
estimating global mean temperature changes, and the economic damages
that follow. In our study, we amend this procedure to capture the
variability in global temperatures as well.

The extra damages--anywhere from $10 trillion to $50 trillion over the
next 200 years when measured in today's dollars, according to the
study--show us that the cost of inaction is substantially higher than
previously believed, he says.

Calel also notes that whilst there is a clear need to reduce emissions
at a faster rate to avoid predictable climate change, we also need to
prepare to mitigate the effects and costs of these fluctuations, which
are significant.

*Making New Policies*
Among the policy changes the professor recommends are a shift of food
supplies toward a more resilient and low-impact model; investments in
infrastructure that will better withstand future weather extremes; and
the creation of agencies and social supports to help the millions of
people who will be displaced from their homes.

"The benefits that these investments will provide are much greater than
previously believed," he says.

The McCourt School professor authored the study with Sandra C. Chapman
from the University of Warwick; David A. Stainforth of the same
department and also the London School of Economics and Political
Science; and Nicholas W. Watkins from the London School of Economics and
Warwick University as well as Open University in the UK.

"We knew that the coupled climate-economy models had omitted global
temperature variability, and we wanted to understand and quantify the
consequences of this," Calel says.

"Temperature variability implies greater economic damages from climate
change" is published in Nature Communications.
https://phys.org/news/2020-10-trillions-extra-economic-climate-effects.html
- -
[source]
*Temperature variability implies greater economic damages from climate
change*
Nature Communications volume 11, Article number: 5028 (2020)
Abstract

    A number of influential assessments of the economic cost of climate
    change rely on just a small number of coupled climate-economy
    models. A central feature of these assessments is their accounting
    of the economic cost of epistemic uncertainty--that part of our
    uncertainty stemming from our inability to precisely estimate key
    model parameters, such as the Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity.
    However, these models fail to account for the cost of aleatory
    uncertainty--the irreducible uncertainty that remains even when the
    true parameter values are known. We show how to account for this
    second source of uncertainty in a physically well-founded and
    tractable way, and we demonstrate that even modest variability
    implies trillions of dollars of previously unaccounted for economic
    damages.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-18797-8/figures/2
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-18797-8/figures/3

[red and blue on the history of a propaganda battle - video]
*Ben Santer on the Climate Red Team*
Oct 5, 2020
greenmanbucket
Given another term, the Trump administration will double down on climate
denial, and is considering appointing a "Red Team" of climate deniers to
evaluate (read distort) climate science.
But this already happened.
The American Physical Society staged a "Red team, blue team" exercise in
2014, in evaluating and updating the Society's statement on climate change.
Ben Santer of Livermore Labs was a member of the "Blue" team, in support
of consensus, science, and reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgDoYNNNf98

[of course]
*More coverage of climate wanted*
Major news audiences think the media should do more to address climate
change, says study led by UC researcher Abel Gustafson
https://www.newswise.com/articles/more-coverage-of-climate-wanted

[Yale study]
*Climate Change in the Minds of **U.S. News Audiences*
*This report is an analysis of public opinion about climate change among
the regular U.S. audience*
(American adults who frequently watch, read, or listen to the content)
of each of six major U.S.
news sources: CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, NPR, the Weather Channel, and the
national nightly
network news (on CBS, ABC, or NBC). The findings in this report are
based on data from three
nationally representative surveys conducted by the Yale Program on
Climate Change
Communication and the George Mason University
Executive Summary
Desire for More Information

    - Large majorities in most news audiences are interested in news
    stories about a wide range
    of global warming topics (p. 11-13).
    - However, majorities in all news audiences feel they are not very
    well informed about
    global warming (p. 10). Fewer than 20% in any news audience feel
    “very well informed.”
    - Majorities in the CNN, NPR, MSNBC, and the nightly network news
    audiences think the
    media should be doing more to address global warming, as do about
    half of those in the
    Weather Channel (51%) audience. In the Fox News audience, only one
    in three viewers
    (34%) think the media should be doing more (p. 10).

https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Climate-Change-in-the-Minds-of-US-News-Audiences.pdf

*On this day in the history of global warming - October 7, 2003 *

Arnold Schwarzenegger succeeds Gray Davis as the governor of California
after a highly controversial "recall election." Schwarzenegger--who had
been demonized by talk radio host Rush Limbaugh in the weeks prior to
the election as not being a "real" conservative--would become one of the
very few prominent elected Republican officials urging action on climate
change.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?178547-2/california-recall-acceptance-consession

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.