[TheClimate.Vote] September 13, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Sep 13 10:30:37 EDT 2020

/*September 13, 2020*/

[data correction - should be more than 40,000]
*Oregon initially said 500,000 people had been evacuated because of
wildfires. The numbers didn't add up -- and the state backtracked.*
By Brad Schmidt | The Oregonian/OregonLive and Mark Friesen | The
Oregonian/OregonLive
The number of Oregonians told to evacuate because of unprecedented
wildfires is more than 40,000 - not the 500,000 residents initially and
erroneously announced by Oregon's Office of Emergency Management, Gov.
Kate Brown acknowledged Friday following publication of an analysis by
The Oregonian/OregonLive showing the true number of evacuations to be
far lower.

The state in a news release Thursday night said an "estimated 500,000
Oregonians have been evacuated and that number continues to grow."
https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/09/oregon-said-500000-people-have-been-evacuated-because-of-wildfires-the-numbers-dont-add-up.html

[interactive map California fires]
Cal Fire Incidents report
https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/

[now they say they know]
*A Secret Recording Reveals Oil Executives' Private Views on Climate Change*
At a meeting last year, industry leaders contradicted public claims that
emissions of climate-warming methane are under control
By Hiroko Tabuchi - Sept. 12, 2020

Last summer, oil and gas-industry groups were lobbying to overturn
federal rules on leaks of natural gas, a major contributor to climate
change. Their message: The companies had emissions under control.

In private, the lobbyists were saying something very different.

At a discussion convened last year by the Independent Petroleum
Association of America, a group that represents energy companies,
participants worried that producers were intentionally flaring, or
burning off, far too much natural gas, threatening the industry's image,
according to a recording of the meeting reviewed by The New York Times.

"We're just flaring a tremendous amount of gas," said Ron Ness,
president of the North Dakota Petroleum Council, at the June 2019
gathering, held in Colorado Springs. "This pesky natural gas," he said.
"The value of it is very minimal," particularly to companies drilling
mainly for oil.

A well can produce both oil and natural gas, but oil commands far higher
prices. Flaring it is an inexpensive way of getting rid of the gas.
- -
The recording runs 1 hour 22 minutes, opening with a moderator's remarks
and concluding with a panel discussion that covered a wide range of
issues including job creation, the threats posed by solar and wind
energy, and the federal leasing of oil and gas rights. The audio was
provided by an organization dedicated to tracking climate policy that
said the recording had been made by an industry official who attended
the meeting...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/12/climate/methane-natural-gas-flaring.html

[DW video report]
*Deadly wildfires sweep across US west coast | DW News*
Sep 11, 2020
DW News
Unprecedented wildfires have forced half a million people to flee their
homes in Oregon as unusually hot and dry weather fans flames across a
number of western US states. Washington and California have also been
hard hit - all three states have reported casualties. In San Francisco
the fires have been making their presence felt, even from a distance. As
firefighters continue their battle across the west coast, meteorologists
are warning that it is not yet even peak wildfire season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUrHmLNm9hU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWtZWvLtonE

[Altitude]
*California's wildfire smoke plumes are unlike anything previously seen*
Smoke plumes have reached 55,000 feet in height with embedded
thunderstorms, lightning and possible tornadoes.
- -
In addition to the extreme fire heights, tornadic vortexes have been
spotted by radar within three of this year's colossal fires. The first,
the Loyalton Fire in Lassen County, Calif., even prompted the National
Weather Service to issue its first-ever fire tornado warning on Aug. 15.

Before 2020, only a few fires had ever produced documented fire
tornadoes in the United States; now we're seeing them every week or two.
Lareau says the tremendous heights of the wildfires' clouds, combined
with more concerted and astute observation, are factors in the numerous
fire tornadoes that have been reported this year. He thinks there may be
some also truth to the apparent increase...
- -
"These are still real outlier events," said Lareau. "The way I've been
trying to think about it, if it's a 1 in 100 event, now we have, what,
7,000 fires on the landscape? The opportunity to experience these
extremes of fire weather are off the charts right now."...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/09/12/california-wildfires-smoke-plumes/

[attitude]
*Longtime Climate Science Denier Hired At NOAA*
September 12, 2020
By: Rebecca Hersher and Joe Palca
David Legates, a University of Delaware professor of climatology who has
spent much of his career questioning basic tenets of climate science,
has been hired for a top position at the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration.

Legates confirmed to NPR that he was recently hired as NOAA's deputy
assistant secretary of commerce for observation and prediction. The
position suggests that he reports directly to Neil Jacobs, the acting
head of the agency that is in charge of the federal government's
sprawling weather and climate prediction work.

Neither Legates nor NOAA representatives responded to questions about
Legates' specific responsibilities or why he was hired. The White House
also declined to comment.

Legates has a long history of using his position as an academic
scientist to publicly cast doubt on climate science. His appointment to
NOAA comes as Americans face profound threats stoked by climate change,
from the vast, deadly wildfires in the West to an unusually active
hurricane season in the South and East.

Global temperatures have already risen nearly 2 degrees Fahrenheit as a
result of greenhouse gas emissions from burning fossil fuels. Warming is
happening the fastest at the Earth's poles, where sea ice is melting,
permafrost is thawing and ocean temperatures are heating up, with
devastating effects on animals and humans alike...
- -
Michael Mann, professor of atmospheric science at Pennsylvania State
University, says in an email to NPR that Legates has, throughout his
career, "misrepresented the science of climate change, serving as an
advocate for polluting interests as he dismisses and downplays the
impacts of climate change."

Mann adds: "At a time when those impacts are playing out before our very
eyes in the form of unprecedented wildfires out West and super-storms
back East, I cannot imagine a more misguided decision than to appoint
someone like Legates to a position of leadership at an agency that is
tasked with assessing the risks we face from extreme weather events."
https://www.gpb.org/news/2020/09/12/longtime-climate-science-denier-hired-at-noaa
- -
*Professor who has questioned climate science hired at NOAA*
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/516160-delaware-professor-who-has-questioned-climate-science-hired-at-noaa
- -
[background research from DeSmogBlog]
*David Legates*
Ph.D. in Climatology, University of Delaware.
*Background*
David R. Legates is a Joint Associate Professor of Geography at the
University of Delaware. In 2005, Legates was designated as Delaware's
State Climatologist.
Legates was later asked to step down as State Climatologist by the Dean
of the University. Although no one at the university was willing to
explain the reason for replacing Legates as the State Climatologist,
Greenpeace speculates that the reason may have been Legates's close ties
with Willie Soon.

In 2007,  then-governor Ruth Ann Minner asked Legates to stop using his