[TheClimate.Vote] September 14 , 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Sep 14 11:45:41 EDT 2020

/*September 14, 2020*/

[NYT news]
*In Visiting a Charred California, Trump Confronts a Scientific Reality
He Denies*
A president who has mocked climate change and pushed policies that
accelerate it is set to be briefed on the scorched earth and ash-filled
skies that experts say are the predictable result...
- -
If Mr. Biden is elected, he has vowed to rejoin the Paris agreement and
reinstate those rules, while pushing to enact even stronger policies,
spending up to $2 trillion to promote the development of renewable
energy sources such as wind and solar.

But experts said it may take far more than that to rebuild the American
climate change legacy -- or its ability to persuade other governments to
take similar action. That is a profound consequence, the experts said,
because climate change is a global problem and cannot be meaningfully
mitigated unless the world's largest polluters all work in concert.
"The really big effect of what Trump has done is to send a message to
the rest of the world that the United States is not credible on climate
change," said Mr. Victor of the University of California, San Diego.
"The rest of the world is not going to know if we're serious because we
keep swinging back and forth."

"Over the past 50 years, the effectiveness in creating international
deals came from U.S. leadership," he added. "And now nobody knows if
we're going to do that anymore."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/13/us/politics/california-fires-trump-climate-change.html

[winds of change]
*As Wildfires Burn Out of Control, the West Coast Faces the Unimaginable*
Firefighters across California and Oregon are bracing for stronger winds
that could partly clear the air -- but also fan the flames of
uncontrolled blazes...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/13/us/Wildfires-Oregon-California-Washington.html

[MediaMatters]
*Cable news largely failed to mention the connection between climate
change and wildfires in its coverage*
Only 13% of segments on the wildfires mentioned climate change
- -
Prime-time coverage of the wildfires was abysmal across all three
networks. Out of 12 hours of programming, MSNBC dedicated 12 minutes of
coverage to the fires in prime time, while CNN dedicated just three
minutes of coverage over the four-day period. Fox News dedicated nearly
six minutes; but it was largely in one segment from Carlson focused on
denying the connection between the wildfires and climate change, despite
overwhelming evidence that our overheated climate is playing a role in
intensifying the fires in California and across the West.

Notably, the cable coverage mirrors broadcast TV news' failure to
connect the dots between climate change and the devastation unfolding in
the West Coast. Over a four-day period from September 5 through 8, only
15% of broadcast coverage of the wildfires mentioned climate change,
meaning almost all television news programs have largely reported these
historic fires as an isolated phenomenon instead of part of the climate
crisis we are in.
more at -
https://www.mediamatters.org/cable-news/cable-news-largely-failed-mention-connection-between-climate-change-and-wildfires-its

[E&E News]
*Earth Hasn't Warmed This Fast in Tens of Millions of Years*
Chemical analyses of ancient sediments allowed scientists to put
together one of the most comprehensive climate histories of the planet...
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-hasnt-warmed-this-fast-in-tens-of-millions-of-years/

[cough, cough]
*The Fires May be in California, but the Smoke, and its Health Effects,
Travel Across the Country*
Fine particulate matter and ozone from wildfire smoke are associated
with heart and lung diseases, compromised immune systems and even
vulnerability to Covid-19...
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/26082020/california-fire-smoke-health-effects

[trends]
ENVIRONMENT
*Heatwaves are becoming more deadly as nights warm faster than days*

    - The U.S. this summer has experienced stifling hot temperatures
    that have set all-time records and put millions of people under
    excessive heat warnings.
    - Lower nighttime temperatures that typically provide critical
    relief from the hot days are disappearing as the climate changes.
    - Temperature extremes are a result of global climate change as well
    as a so-called urban heat island, which occurs when heat from the
    daytime is taken in by heat-absorbing asphalt or concrete, driving
    hotter nights and early mornings.
    - Dry and hot conditions exacerbate wildfires, which are currently
    tearing through California, Oregon and Washington state.

Climate change is making heatwaves and droughts more common, intense and
widespread. Dry and hot conditions exacerbate wildfires, which have
grown more destructive in recent years. Dozens of major fires are
currently burning through the U.S. West Coast, destroying hundreds of
homes and wiping out entire neighborhoods in Oregon.

Climate change is also causing more humid heatwaves. Hot and saturated
air doesn't allow sweat to evaporate as quickly and causes the body to
heat up even more, which can be deadly.

"The trend in California that we have seen since the heat wave in 2006
is heat waves are also more humid, and Californians are generally not
acclimated to high levels of humidity and high temperatures -- it's this
combo that is most deadly," said Rupa Basu, chief of air and climate
epidemiology for the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard
Assessment...
- -
Across the world, every decade over the last 60 years has been hotter
than the last. It's virtually certain that 2020 will be among the top
hottest years in recorded history.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/12/climate-change-why-heatwaves-are-more-deadly-as-nights-warm-faster.html

[Writer speaks his opinion on Extinction Rebellion]
*George Monbiot reacts to UK Gov 'organised crime' reclassification
attempt | Extinction Rebellion UK*
Sep 13, 2020
Extinction Rebellion
George Monbiot talks about authoritarian creep from the UK government
and why attempts to reclassify Extinction Rebellion as 'organised
criminals' is a sign of Extinction Rebellion's success so far.

Today George has along with Stephen Fry, Sir Anthony Gormley, Andrea
Arnold OBE, Massive Attack, Stewart Lee, Sir Mark Rylance, Baroness
Helena Kennedy QC, Dr Rowan Williams and more than a hundred other
public figures have responded to those government and press assertions
in an open letter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6H0EfOFDTY

[feedback problem]
*Arctic disintegration is worse than we thought.*
Sep 13, 2020
Just Have a Think
Arctic sea ice is disappearing faster than we thought! That's a phrase
we've seen so often in the news recently that it's become quite easy to
just tune it out. But a raft of research published in the Summer of 2020
finds that it's not just the sea ice but ALL of the feedbacks loops in
the region that are gaining pace at an alarming rate, including the
atmospheric temperature, the heat stored in the oceans, the release of
methane from thawing permafrost and the melting of the Greenland ice
sheet, all of which directly contribute to the catastrophic climate
change we're witnessing everywhere on the planet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6WxTH-p3o

[cough, cough, it's solistalgia]
*Column: There's actually a word for the climate change-induced despair
you've been feeling*
Sitting at the dinner table with his wife, the philosopher struggled to
characterize the specific nature of their pain -- a pain "experienced
when there is recognition that the place where one resides and that one
loves is under immediate assault."

Glenn Albrecht, the philosopher in question, and his wife, Jill, first
thought of the concept of nostalgia -- because, as Albrecht writes, the
term was once linked to "a diagnosable illness associated with the
melancholia of homesickness for people who were distant from their home."
- -
According to a 2017 American Psychological Assn. report Clayton
coauthored, the acute impacts will probably include more trauma and
post-traumatic stress disorder in the wake of climate change-induced
extreme weather and other major destabilizing events. Chronic impacts
could manifest as a heightened sense of helplessness, hopelessness or
fatalism as people reckon with profound changes to their environment or
what they see as their lack of control over what's happening.

But Clayton says some of the more incremental impacts of climate change
could damage our psychological well-being.

"There is very good evidence that, for example, hot weather actually is
bad for our mental health," she explained. "You see increases in suicide
rates, increases in aggression and increases in psychiatric
hospitalization."...
- -
So what is the middle ground between sticking our heads in the sand and
becoming psychologically overwhelmed by what we know? Say you are lucky
enough to be outside the path of acute danger, at least for today. How
can we lead a meaningful life with these threats looming, knowing so
much is beyond our control?

"For all of us, we need to find this way of thinking -- There is
something I can do," Clayton said. Maybe you can't save the world, but
you can exert some small sense of control over your corner of it, even
with something as simple as readying your own evacuation plans. She also
mentioned pressing local officials on certain issues, or voting to
address the matter at hand.

I worry that invoking these small steps might sound glib or
Pollyanna-ish, particularly in the face of such flagrant destruction,
made possible by so many years of greed and ineptitude. We obviously
need large-scale, sustained action from every level of leadership. But
if you are feeling profound grief and despair, personal action can at
least help repair your own sense of powerlessness.

Writing recently about his own reckoning with climate despair, my
colleague Sammy Roth, an energy reporter at The Times, quoted a line
from the rabbinic teachings of Pirkei Avot that I have thought about
often in the weeks since: "It is not your responsibility to finish the
work of perfecting the world, but you are not free to desist from it
either."
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-09-13/solastalgia-climate-change-induced-despair
- -
[important from last month]
***California is broiling and burning. Here are ideas for dealing with
climate despair*
https://www.latimes.com/environment/newsletter/2020-08-20/boiling-point-california-broiling-burning-boiling-point---

[Sunday was a nice day for a spiritual message]
*a course by bayo akomolafe*

    I am quite confident that even as the oceans boil, and the
    hurricanes beat violently against our once safe shores, and the air
    sweats with the heat of impending doom, and our fists protest the
    denial of climate justice, that there is a path to take that has
    nothing to do with victory or defeat: a place we do not yet know the
    coordinates to; a question we do not yet know how to ask. The point
    of the departed arrow is not merely to pierce the bullseye and carry
    the trophy: the point of the arrow is to sing the wind and remake
    the world in the brevity of flight. There are things we must do,
    sayings we must say, thoughts we must think, that look nothing like
    the images of success that have so thoroughly possessed our visions
    of justice.

    May this new decade be remembered as the decade of the strange path,
    of the third way, of the broken binary, of the traversal disruption,
    the kairotic moment, the posthuman movement for emancipation, the
    gift of disorientation that opened up new places of power, and of
    slow limbs. May this decade bring more than just solutions, more
    than just a future - may it bring words we don't know yet, and
    temporalities we have not yet inhabited. May we be slower than speed
    could calculate, and swifter than the pull of the gravity of words
    can incarcerate. And may we be visited so thoroughly, and met in
    wild places so overwhelmingly, that we are left undone. Ready for
    composting. Ready for the impossible. - Bayo Akomolafe (PhD),
    Teacher/Host

https://course.bayoakomolafe.net/

*On this day in the history of global warming - September 14, 2004 *

British Prime Minister Tony Blair declares that climate change is "...a
challenge so far-reaching in its impact and irreversible in its
destructive power, that it alters radically human existence." He further
notes:

"The problem...is that the challenge is complicated politically by two
factors. First, its likely effect will not be felt to its full extent
until after the time for the political decisions that need to be taken,
has passed. In other words, there is a mismatch in timing between the
environmental and electoral impact. Secondly, no one nation alone can
resolve it. It has no definable boundaries. Short of international
action commonly agreed and commonly followed through, it is hard even
for a large country to make a difference on its own.

"But there is no doubt that the time to act is now. It is now that
timely action can avert disaster. It is now that with foresight and will
such action can be taken without disturbing the essence of our way of
life, by adjusting behaviour not altering it entirely."
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2004/sep/15/greenpolitics.uk

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.