[TheClimate.Vote] September 26, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Sep 26 11:26:27 EDT 2020

/*September 26, 2020*/

[coming to Ca]
*Triple-digit temperatures could spark new fires just a few weeks after
a record heatwave*
Gabrielle Canon - Fri 25 Sep 2020
California is bracing for another dangerously warm weekend, with dry
winds, parched vegetation, and triple-digit temperatures threatening to
ignite new fires and complicating containment efforts in an embattled state.

With only a few weeks' reprieve after a record heatwave in early
September, firefighters have made progress in containing the dozens of
blazes tearing across the region. But fatigued crews - many of whom have
spent weeks fighting on the frontline - are preparing for a potentially
rough week ahead.

Red flag warnings have been issued across northern California from
Saturday through Monday. "Even if you live on the coast or in the city,
you're going to feel the heat Monday," Drew Tuma, a local ABC
meteorologist, said. "I expect some places to hit 106F, 107F Monday -
easily."

Heat isn't the only concern. Gusty winds and low humidity are expected
to elevate extreme fire dangers into early October, especially as swaths
of the state experience "severe drought", according to analysts with the
US Department of Agriculture.

In northern and central areas, the strongest winds were forecast to
occur from Saturday night into Sunday morning, followed by another burst
Sunday night into Monday. In southern California, meteorologists
anticipate very hot and dry weather conditions with weak to locally
moderate Santa Ana winds on Monday.

The Pacific Gas & Electric utility warned it may have to shut off power
to areas where gusts of wind could damage its equipment or hurl debris
into lines that could ignite flammable vegetation. The utility posted a
power cut "watch alert" for Saturday evening through Monday morning for
about 21,000 customers in portions of northern Butte, Plumas and Yuba
counties.

The heat isn't just weather - it's part of a trend. NASA researchers who
document the rising temperatures report that the fires and the
conditions that cause them are going to get worse.

"Heatwaves are becoming more frequent, lasting longer, and increasing in
night-time temperature and humidity, particularly in urban regions such
as the Los Angeles basin," reported Glynn Hulley, a climate scientist at
Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory who co-authored a study this year on
increasingly intense heatwaves. Los Angeles recorded its highest
temperature ever - 121F - in early September...
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/25/california-heatwave-temperatures-wildfires

- -

[measuring heat on maps]
*California Heatwave Fits a Trend*
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/147256/california-heatwave-fits-a-trend

[From Nexus Hot News]
*Thousands Likely Dead From Wildfire Smoke Show 'The Hidden Cost Of Air
Pollution Exposure'*: As many as 3,000 people in California over the age
of 65 have died between August 1 and September 10 because of the
unprecedented smoke from the state's record-breaking wildfires,
according to researchers at Stanford University. The estimate -- which
other experts said was almost certainly lower than the actual number of
excess deaths caused by wildfire smoke -- dwarfs the 26 confirmed
fatalities caused directly by the fires, and shows "the hidden cost of
air pollution exposure," Marshall Burke, an associate professor of earth
system science at Stanford whose team estimated the impacts, told the
San Francisco Chronicle. Burke also said California's record-breaking
extreme heat could have been a factor. The Stanford estimates come amid
growing concern in the scientific and medical communities over the
potentially life-long harms caused by wildfire smoke exposure. Burke
also predicted the coronavirus pandemic and systemic racism and
inequality worsened the toll. "There's evidence that exposure to air
pollution worsens COVID-19 outcomes [and] there's this socioeconomic and
racial gradient to COVID-19 outcomes," he said. "We see much worse
outcomes among many minority groups." Both extreme heat and wildfires
are made worse and more likely by climate change, which is caused by
burning fossil fuels. "If we're in this for the long haul (because)
climate change isn't going away, we really need to stay on top of this,"
Dr. Stephanie Christenson, an assistant professor and pulmonologist at
UC San Francisco, told the Chronicle. (San Francisco Chronicle,
Sacramento Bee, Chico Enterprise, ABC-7 KGO News, AP, KTVU, Insider,
Weather Channel; Long-term damage: Vox; Climate Signals Background:
Extreme heat, Wildfires, 2020 Western wildfire season)
https://newsletter.climatenexus.org/20200925-thousands-dead-from-smoke-tornadoes-moving-wet-ashtray

- -
[source material]
*Indirect mortality from recent wildfires in CA*
http://www.g-feed.com/2020/09/indirect-mortality-from-recent.html

[NPR ]
*Are we missing the point about climate change?*
California is facing its worst wildfire season on record. Tropical
storms and hurricanes are brewing in the Atlantic with abnormal
frequency. The effects of climate change are becoming more apparent, but
if we focus on climate change as the problem to solve, we're missing the
bigger picture, say Ayana Elizabeth Johnson and Katharine Wilkinson.
They teamed up to co-edit the book "All We Can Save: Truth, Courage, and
Solutions for the Climate Crisis." The book features poems, essays and
other works of art by their "binder full of climate women." Johnson and
Wilkinson also created an accompanying nonprofit, The All We Can Save
Project.

"Marketplace's" Molly Wood spoke to Johnson and Wilkinson about the book
and how they think of the intersection of the climate and racial justice
movements. The following is an edited transcript of their conversation.
*The carbon footprint concept*
Ayana Elizabeth Johnson: Yeah, and even more so a problem caused by a
very small group of humans who made some horrible decisions on behalf of
the rest of us. One of the problems with the environmental movement is
that it has allowed the fossil fuel industry to spread the blame across
all of us. You know, BP created this concept of a carbon footprint that
we're now all obsessed with instead of thinking about how we can focus
on systems change, how we can transform our energy and transportation
and buildings and agriculture and land use and manufacturing. That's the
work that needs to be done. Not just all of us, you know, not emitting
anything, because that doesn't work. I mean, we've seen during the
pandemic that even at the beginning, when people were all basically
staying home, that emissions only went down 7% or 8%. So the whole
individual responsibility thing is not going to get us there. And so
this book puts forward a more collective vision...
- -
*Johnson*: It's not a major theme in the book. Katharine, did you want
to talk about our one main finance essay from Regine?

*Katharine Wilkinson*: Sure, yeah. So we were really excited to
collaborate with Regine Clement, who runs CREO. And she's grappling with
the question, how do we use the current economic system? How do we use
extractive capitalism to transform extractive capitalism? So I think
that the tricky thing to me is that the rules of the game have to
fundamentally change. We can't just play the game better. I don't think
that will get us to the kinds of radical emission cuts that need to
happen this decade, and then beyond. But there's clearly a really strong
economic case for climate solutions...
- -
*Communities of color*
*Johnson*: I think we don't understand it, because we don't want to,
because it complicates something that is already really hard, right?
That's the pushback that I hear most often. It's not like, "I'm a
racist, and I want to save the planet." It's more like, "Solving climate
change is hard enough, without bringing in all these other layers. Can
we just please focus on climate change now, first, and we'll deal with,
like, police not murdering Black people for no reason later?" And the
answer is no. No, we can't. We have to walk and chew gum on this one.
And there are many reasons for that. One is just it's the right thing to
do. And so I hate having to give other reasons. But one of those other
reasons is, you know, we know from polling by Yale and George Mason
universities that people of color actually are more concerned about the
climate crisis. But how can we expect Black people to be focused on
climate solutions when making sure they have the basic right to live and
breathe? And so this "I can't breathe" has become a rallying cry across
the racial and climate justice groups, that it's not just in relation to
police brutality, but in the ways that communities of color are burdened
with more polluted air and where power plants decide to locate
themselves, and then, you know, people who are breathing that dirty are
being more at risk for extreme forms of COVID. And so, of course, these
things are all connected. And wouldn't it be great if we were building
the winning team by including the people who were already on board and
wanted to help?

*Wilkinson*: And I just want to add that when we think about climate
change as "the problem," I think that's where we start to miss these
intersections and entanglements. When we understand, actually, that
climate change is a manifestation of the problem, right? It's emerging
out of a system that we're getting so much feedback that it's not
working. Racial violence is part of that feedback. Massive wealth
inequality as part of that feedback. The epidemics of loneliness and
meaninglessness are part of that feedback. But if we're just thinking
about climate change as "the problem we need to solve," then our
analysis isn't deep enough about what's actually going on here, and
that's what it's actually going to take to solve it.
https://www.marketplace.org/2020/09/24/are-we-missing-the-point-about-climate-change/

- -

[New climate book $29]
*All We Can Save*
TRUTH, COURAGE, AND SOLUTIONS FOR THE CLIMATE CRISIS
Edited by Ayana Elizabeth Johnson and Katharine K. Wilkinson
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/645808/all-we-can-save-by-edited-by-ayana-elizabeth-johnson-and-katharine-k-wilkinson/

[Good question]
Covering Climate Now is a global journalism initiative committed to more
and better coverage of the defining story of our time.
*The Media's Climate Coverage Is Improving, but Time Is Very Short*
Climate Beat Newsletter
Sep 23
By Mark Hertsgaard and Kyle Pope

In this autumn of horrific fires and deadly floods, it's easy to
overlook one bit of promising news on the climate front: Some major US
media coverage of the crisis is finally getting better.

We're seeing the evidence this week as Covering Climate Now--a
collaboration of four hundred-plus news outlets, with a combined
audience of two billion people--publishes and broadcasts a profusion of
stories about climate change and the 2020 US elections. Climate change
has been largely overlooked in general-election coverage to date, with
one exception: September 14, when Donald Trump said of California's
record wildfires, inaccurately, that "science doesn't know" whether the
earth will keep getting hotter and his Democratic opponent, Joe Biden,
warned that re-electing a "climate arsonist" to the White House would
ensure worse blazes in the future.

Covering Climate Now's week of coverage, which runs September 21 through
28, aims to give climate change the attention it deserves. The
collaborative, co-founded last year by CJR and The Nation in association
with The Guardian, aims to help news organizations increase and improve
coverage of the crisis as well as its solutions. Even amid the COVID-19
pandemic, the looming Supreme Court battle, and the other huge news
stories of 2020, "the climate emergency remains the central question
facing the world," United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres
said in a September 8 interview with Covering Climate Now. As Justin
Worland wrote in a landmark special issue of Time magazine on July 7,
the US elections will shape whether we "keep driving off the climate
cliff or take the last exit."

NBC News, which joined Covering Climate Now in April, kicked off this
current week of joint coverage by launching a new series, Planet 2020.
Al Roker, the network's chief climate correspondent and long-time
weather forecaster, has been talking about climate change on the Today
show for months, describing its links to wildfires and hurricanes
without wiggle words or alarmism. Now, Roker and cohost Savannah
Sellers, the host of NBC's daily digital news show Stay Tuned, are
connecting the dots between extreme weather, climate change, and the
2020 elections where, as Sellers reported, "millennials and Gen-Z will
make up 37 percent of eligible voters and concern over climate change is
... shaping up to be more important to all voting blocs than ever before."

Also this week, our partners at Reuters and Agence France Presse
delivered a story to their thousands  of newsroom clients around the
world that puts the Paris Agreement goals in a new light, reporting,
"The richest one percent of people are responsible for more than twice
as much carbon pollution as the poorest half of the world's population."

Good climate coverage by Covering Climate Now partners is begetting good
climate coverage among the media as a whole. More of America's leading
newspapers are speaking more loudly and plainly about climate change,
notably The New York Times, The Washington Post, the Philadelphia
Inquirer, the Arizona Republic, and the Los Angeles Times. The latter
headlined a September 14 story about the state's wildfires "A Climate
Apocalypse Now." Among magazines, Bloomberg has launched a new digital
outlet and accompanying print edition, Bloomberg Green, that is a
must-read for the far-reaching economic aspects of the climate story.

On television, Covering Climate Now partner PBS NewsHour continues to
set the pace for sustained, informed climate coverage. And on August 8,
CNN rebroadcast climate correspondent Bill Weir's "The Road to Change,"
a documentary that we praised in April as perhaps the best piece of
climate journalism ever done by a mainstream US news outlet.

The problem is, these and other examples of first-rate climate coverage
remain the exception.

Despite recent orange skies over the West Coast and fearsome storm
surges in the Gulf of Mexico, not to mention the 32 years since NASA
scientist James Hansen's US Senate testimony that man-made global
warming had begun, the climate crisis remains a marginal afterthought in
most US news coverage. Chris Wallace of Fox News has announced that he
will not even raise the subject of climate change when moderating the
first presidential debate between Trump and Biden next week.

And consider the scandalous absence of climate change from most coverage
of the wildfires, Hurricane Laura, the Iowa derecho, and countless other
extreme weather events of 2020. Only one of the ninety-three news
segments that ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox, and MSNBC aired during the week
after Laura slammed the Louisiana coast connected the storm to climate
change, according to a study by the watchdog group Media Matters. Of
forty-six segments ABC, NBC, and CBS aired on the California wildfires,
only seven mentioned climate change.

This is media malpractice. It is also, from a business point of view,
foolish: the public actually wants more, not less, climate coverage.
According to a poll released today by our partners at The Guardian and
VICE Media, 74 percent of likely voters want the moderators to ask
climate questions at the upcoming presidential debates.

We are heartened by the progress Covering Climate Now has made in
helping the media rise to the existential challenge of the climate
crisis. Yet even as we celebrate that progress this week, we recognize
how far there is to go, and how little time we have to get there. The
first presidential debate takes place on September 29, and five weeks
later is Election Day. Between now and then, newsrooms should follow the
advice of Washington Post media columnist Margaret Sullivan: "This
subject must be kept front and center, with the pressure on and the
stakes made abundantly clear at every turn."
https://www.coveringclimatenow.org/climate-beat/medias-coverage-is-improving-but-time-is-short

[news media on strike for more climate change coverage]
*Climate Uprise*
*We are in a climate emergency.*
If we continue at our current rate of warming, scientists predict that
by 2100, sea levels will rise by more than three feet, up to a fifth of
everything living in the world's oceans will die, and more than 200
million people will be displaced. On September 25, VICE Media Group is
joining Fridays for Future's Global Climate Day of Action by going on
digital strike: For 24 hours, we're solely telling stories about the
devastating effects of climate change throughout the world and
highlighting the people who are doing something about it. Read our
coverage of the crisis on
VICE, Refinery 29, i-D, and Garage.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ep43bn/climate-uprise

- -

[we are in early stages of exponential change]
*The Planet Is Probably in Worse Shape Than We Can Even Predict*
Scientific estimates could be lowballing how bad the climate crisis will
get.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ep4gyw/the-planet-is-probably-in-worse-shape-than-we-can-even-predict

[Wry headline not a joke ]
*New Study Shows We Actually Do Live in Hell*
Dharna Noor
Wednesday
The climate crisis is bringing hellish conditions to the U.S. Drought?
Yup. Heat waves? Big time. And when those two forms of extreme weather
transpiring at the same time, the combination is devastating. Just look
at what we're seeing with the record-breaking wildfires out West.

New research shows that the U.S. is seeing a lot more instances of
combined heat wave and drought events. And without drastic climate
action, those disasters will happen more often--and get worse.

For the new study, published in Science Advances on Wednesday,
researchers analyzed instances of extremely hot and dry weather over the
past 122 years. To do so, they looked at precipitation and temperature
data from 1896 through 2017 from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration, and used several statistical and geospatial techniques
to tease out patterns in the frequency, intensity, and locations of
these climate catastrophes...

Using a form of analysis called joint probability distributions of
climate observations, the authors determined what events qualified as
25-year, 50-year, and 75-year events (as in, events that should occur
just once in every 25, 50, and 75 years). They found that these
conditions transpire far more frequently than they used to.
Progress--but the bad kind.

The study also found the areas that experience these compound events are
becoming more clustered: Rather than a smattering of scattered regions
seeing dry heat waves, the impacted areas are now larger and closer
together, which can put a huge strain on regional and national relief
efforts. To make matters worse, these climate emergencies are happening
in more places. The authors observed that areas up north which were
previously too wet and cold to see these combined events are now
experiencing them.

The findings suggest that there's been a shift in what causes these hot
and dry events to happen. While the devastating heat and drought of the
1930s Dust Bowl was primarily triggered by a lack of rain, these days,
extreme heat--which can cause moisture to evaporate--is the big driver.

"This is important because even in a slightly below normal precipitation
year, we might observe moderate to severe drought," Mojtaba Sadegh, an
assistant civil engineering professor at Boise State University who
co-authored the study, wrote in an email.

We're already seeing how awful these climate emergencies can be. Dry
heat is the perfect condition for wildfires to spark, especially when
you throw some strong winds into the mix (again, see: this year's fires
out West).

And even without fires, hot, dry weather poses giant challenges for
agriculture.

"If it is hot, you need more water for irrigation, and if there is
drought, there is no water for that purpose," Sadegh said.

This is all evidence that we need urgent action to curb the climate
crisis, or we'll risk more deadly fires and major damage to our food
supply. But if you're not convinced by, uh, the need to preserve
conditions that can support human life, maybe the price tags will
convince you. The authors note that in the U.S., three drought and
heatwave events between 2011 and 2013 caused damages equaling roughly
$60 billion.

Even if emissions drop to zero tomorrow, we'll still need to adapt to
this new hot and dry world, a point Sadegh stressed. We need to stop
building new developments in fire-prone areas, improve our water
irrigation systems, and make our agriculture systems more resilient. We
also need to rebuild our ecosystems so they can withstand increasingly
extreme stress.

"Reintroducing beavers to North American river valleys, for example, can
be one approach to increasing water holding capacity of watersheds and
enhancing resilience to climatic extremes," Sadegh said.

Of course, we also need urgent action to draw down greenhouse gas
emissions globally. Otherwise, we'll just keep making America hotter and
more dry at a rate we might not be able to adapt to.

"We need to act NOW! Aggressive emission cuts are needed today," he said.
https://earther.gizmodo.com/new-study-shows-we-actually-do-live-in-hell-1845156224

[Lots of talk about media ]
*Covering Climate Now - and How | Sustain What Friday News Review*
Streamed live Sept 25, 2020
Andrew Revkin
Join host Andy Revkin in a Sustain What conversation on next steps for
climate journalism with Mark Hertsgaard, a veteran climate journalist
and co-founder of the year-old Covering Climate Now initiative;
climate-media analyst Max Boykoff from the University of Colorado,
Boulder's Media & Climate Change Observatory; Genevieve Guenther, the
founder of End Climate Silence; investigative journalist Elisabeth
Gawthrop; and the Earth Institute environmental epidemiologist Robbie
Parks, who worked with Gawthrop and a reporting team on a
climate-focused investigative series, Hidden Epidemics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK9Uh_5G-Tg

[Horror show weather]
*Zombie storms are rising from the dead thanks to climate change*
By Yasemin Saplakoglu - Sept. 25, 2020
2020 presents to you... "zombie storms."
Wildfires are burning the West Coast, hurricanes are flooding the
Southeast -- and some of those storms are rising from the dead.

"Zombie storms," which regain strength after initially petering out, are
the newest addition to the year 2020. And these undead weather anomalies
are becoming more common thanks to climate change.

"Because 2020, we now have Zombie Tropical Storms. Welcome back to the
land of the living, Tropical Storm #Paulette," the National Weather
Service wrote on Twitter on Tuesday (Sept. 22).]
Earlier this month, Tropical storm Paulette formed in the Atlantic Ocean
and made landfall in Bermuda as a Category 1 hurricane, according to
CNN. It then strengthened over land into a Category 2 hurricane, before
weakening and dying off five and half days later. ..
But then, Paulette opened her frightening eye once again. She wasn't gone.

Paulette regained strength and became a tropical storm once more about
300 miles (480 kilometers) away from the Azores Islands on Monday (Sept.
21), according to CNN. The term "zombie storm" is new, and though the
phenomenon has been recorded before, it is thought to be rare.
But zombie storms are going to happen more often, said Donald Wuebbles,
a professor of atmospheric sciences at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign. And as with other natural disasters that have been
intensifying in recent years, such as wildfires and hurricanes, climate
change and rapid global warming are to blame.

There has been an "extreme amount of heating of the Gulf (of Mexico),
particularly in some of the ocean areas off of the Carribean," Wuebbles
told Live Science. The Gulf of Mexico, where many hurricanes gain
strength before hitting the U.S., is particularly vulnerable to global
warming because the gulf waters are very shallow -- and thus heat up
easily, Wuebbles said.

Atlantic Ocean storms typically form in warmer parts of the ocean near
Africa, due to a combination of atmospheric and ocean conditions. They
then "race across" the ocean toward the Americas, Wuebbles said.
Hurricanes need warm water and moist air to form, according to the
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research. Storms grow if there's
a continuous supply of energy from warm water and air, and they weaken
when they move over cooler waters or over land.
"If they're not so strong, in the past, they would just die out," over
the Atlantic, Wuebbles said. But now, they reach warm water in the
Carribean region and pick up energy again, he added. This is also true
for storms that haven't died out yet. For instance, about a month ago,
Hurricane Laura strengthened overnight from a Category 1 storm to a
Category 4 storm because it picked up energy from warm water in the
Gulf, Wuebbles said.

With a warming globe, "storms are likely to become more intense," he
added. That means the idea of "zombie storms" may be here to stay.

Thankfully Paulette seems to have become a post-tropical cyclone once
more and will die out soon, according to the National Hurricane Center.
https://www.livescience.com/zombie-storms-climate-change.html

[AP news of fire]
*Largest California wildfire threatens marijuana growing area...*
The threatened marijuana growing area is in the Emerald Triangle, a
three-county corner of Northern California that by some estimates is the
nation's largest cannabis-producing region.

People familiar with Trinity Pines said the community has up to 40 legal
farms, with more than 10 times that number in hidden, illegal growing areas.

Growers are wary of leaving the plants vulnerable to flames or thieves.
Each farm has crops worth half a million dollars or more and many are
within days or weeks of harvest.

One estimate put the value of the area's legal marijuana crop at about
$20 million.

"There (are) millions of dollars, millions and millions of dollars of
marijuana out there," Trujillo said. "Some of those plants are 16 feet
(5 meters) tall, and they are all in the budding stages of growth right
now."

Gunfire in the region is common. A recent night brought what locals
dubbed the "roll call" of cannabis cultivators shooting rounds from
pistols and automatic weapons as warnings to outsiders, said Post
Mountain volunteer Fire Chief Astrid Dobo, who also manages legal
cannabis farms.

Hundreds of migrant workers typically pour into the area this time of
year to help trim and harvest the plants, but it's uncertain whether
that population dwindled due to the coronavirus pandemic, said Julia
Rubinic, a member of the Trinity County Agriculture Alliance, which
represents licensed cannabis growers.

Mike McMillan, spokesman for the federal incident command team managing
the northern section of the August Complex, said fire officials plan to
deliver a clear message that "we are not going to die to save people.
That is not our job."..
https://apnews.com/article/wildfires-sacramento-marijuana-cannabis-fires-dcdfa5f82a53302d4d9b9d22e1f5b320

*On this day in the history of global warming - September 26, 2015 *
The New York Times reports:

    "When President Obama tried to tackle climate change in his first
    term, he pushed Congress to limit and put a price on carbon
    pollution, but the so-called cap-and-trade bill died in the Senate
    in 2010. Among the chief reasons: Lawmakers from both parties feared
    that any law to cut greenhouse gas emissions would harm the nation's
    competitiveness compared with China, which was then emerging as the
    world's largest polluter.

    "Since then, Republican lawmakers and presidential candidates have
    repeatedly cited China's lack of action on climate change as the
    chief reason that the United States should not take stronger action.

    "On Friday in the Rose Garden, the story of how Washington and
    Beijing will fight climate change took a stunning turn as President
    Xi Jinping of China stood with Mr. Obama and announced that China
    would put in place its own national cap-and-trade system in 2017.
    Environmentalists hailed the announcement as historic and said that
    China's move should effectively end Republicans' main objection to
    enacting a domestic climate change policy."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/world/asia/beijing-puts-ball-back-in-washingtons-court-on-climate-change.html

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.