[TheClimate.Vote] April 1, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Apr 1 07:23:03 EDT 2021

/*April 1, 2021*/

[no foolin,]
*Janet Yellen: Climate change poses ‘existential threat’ to financial
markets*
The FSOC focused on climate for the first time since Congress
established the body in 2010.
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Wednesday called climate change “an
existential threat” and the biggest emerging risk to the health of the
U.S. financial system, pledging to marshal regulatory forces to guard
against its harmful effects.

Yellen made the promise during her inaugural appearance as the head of
the Financial Stability Oversight Council, a panel of top regulators
tasked with policing Wall Street behavior that has the potential to
crash the entire economy...
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/31/yellen-climate-change-fsoc-478769
- -
[source material]
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY -- SECRETARY STATEMENTS & REMARKS
*Remarks by Secretary Janet L. Yellen at the Open Session of the meeting
of the Financial Stability Oversight Council*

    "The three areas that I highlighted—vulnerabilities in nonbank
    financial intermediation, the resiliency of the Treasury market, and
    climate change—are major challenges that will require our collective
    efforts."

more at - https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy0092

[pushing money for making change]
*More than 100 climate groups press Kerry on Wall Street's role in
global warming*
BY TAL AXELROD - 03/31/21
Nearly 150 climate advocacy groups are calling on John Kerry, the
special presidential envoy for climate, to curtail the amount of money
Wall Street sends to fossil fuel companies and recognize the role the
firms play in the planet’s changing temperature.

A combined 145 organizations, including Greenpeace and Friends of the
Earth, pressed Kerry in a letter to focus on money that flows from banks
and investors to companies that contribute to climate change, mainly
those investing in fossil fuel extraction and deforestation.

“Today we write to request your support and leadership in urgently
addressing one of the most important and overlooked drivers of climate
change: ending the flow of private finance from Wall Street to the
industries driving climate change around the world — fossil fuels and
forest-risk commodities,” the groups wrote.

“We must recognize that Wall Street isn’t yet an ally,” they added. “As
long as U.S. firms continue to pour more money into the drivers of
climate change, they are actively undermining President Biden’s climate
goals.”

The letter singled out a number of banks, including JPMorgan Chase & Co.
and Citigroup Inc., for their donations to companies they say are
exacerbating the temperature changes across the globe.

The groups specifically requested that Kerry press U.S. corporations to
divest from “pure-play” coal, oil and gas companies and have those
companies’ discussions “appropriately reflect climate risk.”

They also said he should apply pressure to banks and insurers that have
already committed themselves to have net-zero fossil fuel emissions to
expedite their efforts, including “an immediate end to financing for
fossil fuel expansion” and “a phase-out of all financing for fossil fuel
projects.”

“Until we can hold Wall Street firms to account, no amount of new
green-finance commitments can credibly undo the damage that their
fossil-fuel financing is doing to the climate, to U.S. climate
leadership, and to our chances of meeting the goals of the Paris
Agreement,” the groups wrote.

When asked about the letter, the State Department, which houses Kerry's
office, said the administration would work to balance government action
on climate change with outreach to the private sector.

"There’s no question the climate crisis requires assertive government
action.  But given the global funding gap, we can’t look to government
alone to deliver the resources we need. We also need the full engagement
of the private sector. So even as we work to pursue the most ambitious
climate agenda in history, we are focused on mobilizing public and
private sector financing alike," said a State Department spokesperson.

The letter comes as the Biden administration touts its efforts to tackle
climate change. Among its efforts were rejoining the Paris climate
agreement, a key goal of which was pushing financial markets away from
fossil fuels, and ordering the creation of a climate plan, which Kerry
said would include “ending international financing of fossil fuel
projects with public money.”

It is also pushing a massive infrastructure plan that would include a
number of climate change provisions.
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/545719-145-climate-groups-call-on-kerry-to-acknowledge-wall-streets-role

[money demands a following]
*US urged to invest in sun-dimming studies as climate warms*
National academies report is most explicit call yet for a government
research programme to explore the controversial field of solar
geoengineering.
Although scientific agencies in the United States and abroad have funded
solar-geoengineering research in the past, governments have shied away
from launching formal programmes in the controversial field. In addition
to fears that tinkering with Earth’s atmosphere could backfire in
unpredictable ways, many environmentalists worry that focusing on
geoengineering could reduce pressure on politicians — and the powerful
fossil fuel-industry — to curb greenhouse-gas emissions. The report does
not in any way advocate deploying the technology, but says research is
needed to understand the options if the climate crisis becomes even more
serious.

“Climate change is a genuine crisis, and we have been way too slow to
get our act together,” says Christopher Field, an ecologist at Stanford
University in California and co-chair of the committee that produced the
report. “That’s part of the reason that we need to have a clear
understanding of all of our options, including options that we would
have not been willing to consider all that long ago.”
- -
Still, some scientists worry about the United States going it alone with
a solar-geoengineering research programme, given the global
ramifications of any efforts to alter Earth’s atmosphere. The NASEM
report does call for the United States to promote international
partnerships, and Keith says the country should do exactly that, if it
moves forwards with the proposed strategy.

“That’s one of my biggest caveats: it would be unhealthy if this were
only the United States,” he says. “International coordination is vitally
important.”
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00822-5

[brief from the Society of Environmental Journalists]
*Local Water, Sewer Projects May Flow From Infrastructure Funding*
March 31, 2021
Water infrastructure projects are almost certainly coming your way, as
part of an all-out federal push to fix the infrastructure. And they will
bring not only more jobs, but more environmental stories.

One of several federal programs affecting water pollution is known as
WIFIA (for the Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act of 2014).
Even Republicans like it. Former U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Administrator Scott Pruitt always put out a proud press release whenever
he awarded millions of WIFIA dollars to some deserving locality.

Now, as President Joe Biden and a Democrat-controlled Congress get ready
for the Herculean effort of passing an “infrastructure” bill, we can
expect WIFIA (and programs like it) to be conduits for larger amounts of
federal money.

There is a “pipeline” for projects seeking funding and an established
administrative mechanism for vetting and funding them. Most importantly,
WIFIA and similar programs are not partisan or politically
controversial. The prospect of more money could actually increase
support in Congress.

WIFIA money can go toward both drinking water and sewage treatment
projects. The money amounts to loan guarantees, which means the federal
dollars can be highly leveraged. A small federal layout can back a much
larger local project.
*
**Why it matters*
In short, there are a great many places in the United States where
wastewater and drinking water systems are inadequate and harming
people’s health. This may mean pathogens carrying disease, chemical
pollutants threatening toxic harm or nutrients like nitrogen that
fertilize fish-killing algae...
more at:
https://www.sej.org/publications/tipsheet/local-water-sewer-projects-may-flow-from-infrastructure-funding

[Podcast collections from Yale University Produced by Yale Broadcast Studio]
*Pricing Carbon*
Pricing Nature, a limited-series podcast from the Center for Business
and the Environment at Yale and the Yale Carbon Charge. We’ll tell a
story about the economics, politics, and history of carbon pricing,
which many argue should play a critical role in any national climate
policy. Join us to hear from experts about the ins and outs of carbon
pricing policy.
1. Intro to Carbon Pricing
2. What’s the Right Price for Carbon Emissions?
3. The Road to Paris: 30 Years of Climate Negotiations in Under an Hour
4. Why doesn’t the US have a national price on carbon?..
http://yalepodcasts.blubrry.net/tag/carbon-pricing/

*On this day in the history of global warming - April 1, 2009 *
The New York Times reports:

    "The debate on global warming and energy policy accelerated on
    Tuesday as two senior House Democrats unveiled a far-reaching bill
    to cap heat-trapping gases and quicken the country’s move away from
    dependence on coal and oil.

    "But the bill leaves critical questions unanswered and has no
    Republican support. It is thus the beginning, not the end, of the
    debate in Congress on how to deal with two of President Obama’s
    priorities, climate change and energy.

    "The draft measure, written by Representatives Henry A. Waxman of
    California and Edward J. Markey of Massachusetts, sets a slightly
    more ambitious goal for capping heat-trapping gases than Mr. Obama’s
    proposal. The bill requires that emissions be reduced 20 percent
    from 2005 levels by 2020, while Mr. Obama’s plan calls for a 14
    percent reduction by 2020. Both would reduce emissions of carbon
    dioxide, methane and other greenhouse gases by roughly 80 percent by
    2050."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/us/politics/01energycnd.html?pagewanted=print

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.