[✔️] August 9, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Aug 9 09:04:36 EDT 2021

/*August 9, 2021*/

[Best text news comes from BBC]
*Climate change: IPCC report is 'code red for humanity'*
  Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent
Human activity is changing the climate in unprecedented and sometimes
irreversible ways, a major UN scientific report has said.

The landmark study warns of increasingly extreme heatwaves, droughts and
flooding, and a key temperature limit being broken in just over a decade.

The report "is a code red for humanity", says the UN chief.

But scientists say a catastrophe can be avoided if the world acts fast.

There is hope that deep cuts in emissions of greenhouse gases could
stabilise rising temperatures.

Echoing the scientists' findings, UN Secretary General António Guterres
said: "If we combine forces now, we can avert climate catastrophe. But,
as today's report makes clear, there is no time for delay and no room
for excuses. I count on government leaders and all stakeholders to
ensure COP26 is a success."

The sober assessment from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change (IPCC), a group of scientists whose findings are endorsed by the
world's governments.

Their report is the first major review of the science of climate change
since 2013. Its release comes less than three months before a key
climate summit in Glasgow known as COP26.. .
- -
[...]

*Five future impacts*

    - Temperatures will reach 1.5C above 1850-1900 levels by 2040 under
    all emissions scenarios
    - The Arctic is likely to be practically ice-free in September at
    least once before 2050 in all scenarios assessed
    - There will be an increasing occurrence of some extreme events
    "unprecedented in the historical record" even at warming of 1.5C
    - Extreme sea level events that occurred once a century in the
    recent past are projected to occur at least annually at more than
    half of tidal gauge locations by 2100
    - There will be likely increases in fire weather in many regions

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58130705

[vieo Climate Pod nicely summarizes new release (with music) -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-rhjI0s-z8]
*Understanding The IPCC’s Climate Change 2021 Report And The Current
State Of The Crisis*
Aug 9, 2021
The Climate Pod
#IPCC #ClimateChange2021 #COP26 #GlobalWarming #MichaelMann
On Monday, August 9th, the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change (IPCC) released part of a major report on the current state of
the climate crisis. Hundreds of climate scientists were tasked with
providing a physical science basis for policymakers to understand the
past, present, and future of global warming. In this video, we examine
some of the major findings in the report, what it means for our future,
and what is left to be done to combat the climate crisis. Featuring
excerpts from an interview with Dr. Michael Mann in January 2021.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-rhjI0s-z8

- -

[IPCC source materials - including video - huge documents]
https://www.ipcc.ch/
https://www.ipcc.ch/report/sixth-assessment-report-working-group-i/

- -

[long, boring video discussion with IPCC press conference & panels -
recommend viewing at fast speed - or start 10 min in]
*In full: UN climate panel reveals human impact on climate change*
Streamed Aug 9, 2021
Sky News
UN climate science panel releases the biggest climate change report in
almost a decade, revealing the human impact on our warming world as
wildfires continue to rage across southern Europe and parts of the US.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mWssh1ldAs

- -

[DW news organization presentation 10 min video is pretty good - then
goes to old video of fires in Turkey]
*New IPCC report: More heat, more extreme weather events | DW News*
Aug 9, 2021
DW News
Carbon pollution has risen to such extremes that a key threshold in the
fight to stop climate change — limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees
Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) by the end of the century — will be
crossed within the next 15 years. That is one of the key findings from a
landmark report approved by delegates from 195 countries and published
Monday by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). The
analysis, which comes amid record-breaking heat and rains that have
rocked rich and poor countries alike, draws on more than 14,000
peer-reviewed studies to assess the physical science of climate change.
It paints a sober picture of a planet warped beyond recognition by
members of a single species in the space of just a few hundred years.
"This report is a reality check," said Valérie Masson-Delmotte, co-chair
of the IPCC working group that prepared it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqOGHnRGenQ

- -

[Earliest report -- Reuters stammers out embarrassing news summary today
in 90 seconds]
*U.N. sounds alarm over 'irreversible' climate change*
Aug 9, 2021 Reuters
The U.N. climate panel sounded a dire warning Monday, saying the world
is dangerously close to runaway warming - and that humans are
"unequivocally" to blame. Climate change is happening, and not going to
go away, IPCC author and climate scientist at the University of Oxford
Friederike Otto told Reuters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZHcSVmStO4

- -

[Kate Marvel comments on IPCC report - Opinion]
*The IPCC report is coming out tomorrow.  As a climate scientist, I’d
like you to know: I don’t have hope. *
I have something better: certainty.

We know exactly what’s causing climate change. We can absolutely 1)
avoid the worst and 2) build a better world in the process.

I understand the frustration. I get the despair and the anxiety. No one
is saying this is going to be easy. But it is possible.  The biggest
uncertainty by FAR in climate projections is what humans we’ll do. Let’s
get to work.

This will be replied to and quote-tweeted with so much cynicism,
misanthropy, and negativity. Please remember: giving up helps no one but
those invested in delay and denial.  I refuse to subscribe to a lie they
promote.Kate Marvel  @DrKateMarvel
https://twitter.com/DrKateMarvel/status/1424359432578797574

- -

[prologue to IPCC - why this is a Big Deal -- explained]
*234 scientists read 14,000+ research papers to write the upcoming IPCC
climate report – here’s what you need to know and why it’s a big deal**
* Stephanie Spera - -  August 5, 2021
IPCC stands for Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. It’s the
United Nations’ climate-science-focused organization. It’s been around
since 1988, and it has 195 member countries.

Every seven years or so, the IPCC releases a report – essentially a
“state of the climate” – summarizing the most up-to-date, peer-reviewed
research on the science of climate change, its effects and ways to adapt
to and mitigate it.

The purpose of these reports is to provide everyone, particularly
governing bodies, with the information they need to make important
decisions regarding climate change. The IPCC essentially provides
governments with a CliffsNotes version of thousands of papers published
regarding the science, risks, and social and economic components of
climate change.

There are two important things to understand:

The IPCC reports are nonpartisan. Every IPCC country can nominate
scientists to participate in the report-writing process, and there is an
intense and transparent review process.

The IPCC doesn’t tell governments what to do. Its goal is to provide the
latest knowledge on climate change, its future risks and options for
reducing the rate of warming.

Why is this report such a big deal?
The last big IPCC assessment was released in 2013. A lot can change in
eight years.
- -
The IPCC doesn’t conduct its own climate-science research. Instead, it
summarizes everyone else’s. Think: ridiculously impressive research paper.

The upcoming report was authored by 234 scientists nominated by IPCC
member governments around the world. These scientists are leading Earth
and climate science experts.

This report – the first of four that make up the IPCC’s Sixth Assessment
Report – looks at the physical science behind climate change and its
impacts. It alone will contain over 14,000 citations to existing
research. The scientists looked at all of the climate-science-related
research published through Jan. 31, 2021.

These scientists, who are not compensated for their time and effort,
volunteered to read those 14,000-plus papers so you don’t have to.
Instead, you can read their shorter chapters on the scientific consensus
on topics like extreme weather or regional changes in sea-level rise...
- -
Government input to these bigger reports, like the one being released on
Aug. 9, 2021, is solely limited to commenting on report drafts. However,
governments do have a much stronger say in the shorter summary for
policymakers that accompanies these reports, as they have to agree by
consensus and typically get into detailed negotiations on the wording.

RCPs, SSPs – what does it all mean?
One thing just about everyone wants to understand is what the future
might look like as the climate changes.

To get a glimpse of that future, scientists run experiments using
computer models that simulate Earth’s climate. With these models,
scientists can ask: If the globe heats up by a specific amount, what
might happen in terms of sea-level rise, droughts and the ice sheets?
What if the globe heats up by less than that – or more? What are the
outcomes then?

The IPCC uses a set of scenarios to try to understand what the future
might look like. This is where some of those acronyms come in.

All climate models work a little differently and create different
results. But if 20 different climate models are run using the same
assumptions about the amount of warming and produce similar results,
people can be fairly confident in the results.

RCPs, or representative concentration pathways, and SSPs, or shared
socioeconomic pathways, are the standardized scenarios that climate
modelers use.

Four RCPs were the focus of the future-looking climate modeling studies
incorporated into the 2013 report. They ranged from RCP 2.6, where there
is a drastic reduction in global fossil fuel emissions and the world
only heats up a little, to RCP 8.5, a world in which fossil fuel
emissions are unfettered and the world heats up a lot.
https://images.theconversation.com/files/414641/original/file-20210804-27-1n6orcv.png?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=30&auto=format&w=754&h=450&fit=crop&dpr=2
- -
*“It’s warming. It’s us. We’re sure. It’s bad. But we can fix it.”
*That’s how sustainability scientist and Lund University Professor
Kimberly Nicholas puts it.

Don’t expect an optimistic picture to emerge from the upcoming report.
Climate change is a threat-multiplier that compounds other global,
national and regional environmental and social issues.
So, read the report and recognize the major sources of greenhouse gases
that are driving climate change. Individuals can take steps to reduce
their emissions, including driving less, using energy-efficient
lightbulbs and rethinking their food choices. But also understand that
20 fossil fuel companies are responsible for about one-third of all
greenhouse gas emissions. That requires governments taking action now.

https://theconversation.com/234-scientists-read-14-000-research-papers-to-write-the-upcoming-ipcc-climate-report-heres-what-you-need-to-know-and-why-its-a-big-deal-165587

- -

[Another video prologue]
*Why the IPCC climate reports are so important*
Aug 3, 2021 - - ClimateAdam
The intergovernmental panel on climate change releases the definitive
reports on global warming, with the next major report coming out in 2021
and 2022. But how do these reports actually work, and how far can you
trust them?...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWYz0u-gG8Q

[News Red skys from VOA]
*Wildfires Turn Greece Skies Red*
Aug 8, 2021
VOA News
Widespread wildfires turned the sky red on the Greek island of Evia and
forced overnight evacuations, Sunday, August 8.
—————————
Thousands of people have fled their homes on the Greek island of Evia as
wildfires burned uncontrolled for a sixth day on Sunday, and ferries
were on standby for more evacuations after taking many to safety by sea.

Fires that had threatened northern suburbs of Athens in recent days died
back. But the blaze on Evia, a large island east of the capital, quickly
burgeoned into several fronts, ripping through thousands of hectares
(acres) of pristine forest across its northern part, and forcing the
evacuation of dozens of villages.

Wildfires have erupted in many parts of the country during a week-long
heatwave, Greece's worst in three decades, with searing temperatures and
hot winds creating tinder-box conditions. Across the country, forest
land has burned and dozens of homes and businesses have been destroyed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kau1u0mWhpM

- -

[More fire video]
*British firefighters fly in to Greece for battle to contain deadly
wildfire | ITV News*
Aug 8, 2021
ITV News
British firefighters have arrived in Greece to help fight wildfires,
which are continuing to spread out of control.

In dramatic scenes, hundreds of people have been ferried from the island
of Evia, where the blaze is engulfing homes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhyV7eF0I7o

- -

[Truh, bull]
*Judge orders PG&E to provide information about possible role in
starting the Fly and Dixie Fires*
AuthorBill GabbertPosted onAugust 8,
2021CategoriesUncategorizedTagsCalifornia, Dixie Fire, Fly Fire,
PG&ELeave a commenton Judge orders PG&E to provide information about
possible role in starting the Fly and Dixie Fires
The Fly Fire merged with the Dixie Fire which also appears to have been
started by the company’s equipment...
- -
PG&E said that at about 5:01 p.m. on July 22 activity on SmartMeters, a
line recloser, and alarms reported a problem, and the Gansner 1101
circuit was deenergized. Later PG&E assisted the U.S. Forest Service
with moving and examining a tree that was resting on a conductor on the
circuit.
https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/08/08/judge-orders-pge-to-provide-information-about-possible-role-in-starting-the-fly-and-dixie-fires/

- -

[The Kid is on TV now - has a 5 minute segment KSBW TV 8 NBC]
*Update on the California Wildfires and How the Smoke will Impact the
Central Coast Forecast*
Aug 9, 2021
Holt Hanley Weather
The Dixie Fire, McFarland Fire, Monument Fire, River Complex, and
Antelope Fire continue to grow as critical fire weather conditions
return to the state. The smoke from these fires has spread unhealthy air
all the way from Southern California to Utah, and some of that smoke is
finding its way into the Central Coast. We'll take a close look at how
it will impact our forecast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNmA9z3a82o

- -

[deep dive video Wildfire update ]
*Update and Forecast for Dixie Fire, Antelope Fire, Monument Fire, and
Other Western Wildfires*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLV7OkUbZVs

[opinion akes sense]
*Top Scientists to Biden and Congress: 'Go Big on Climate... Do So Now'*
"We must take immediate action to sharply reduce heat-trapping emissions
to limit the worst climate change impacts, protect public health and
lives, and limit economic harms."
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/08/06/top-scientists-biden-and-congress-go-big-climate-do-so-now

[Series of simple video messages 7 mins]
*Climate Catastrophe - How did we get here?!*
Jul 2, 2021
Jack Harries
⚡⁠ Introducing THE BREAKDOWN, a five-part film series on climate change:
exploring how we got here, where we're headed, and what we can ALL do to
make a difference! ⚡⁠
In Episode 1, we kick off the series with a big picture look at the
history of our planet. 🌎 We start by looking back at the last 10,000
years of climate stability and explore how the discovery of ancient
fossil fuels changed the course of humanity as we know it. 🔥⁠
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl0ZdVoHm_w

- -

[Next video]
*Fossil fuel companies have been lying to you!*
Jul 9, 2021
Jack Harries
Fossil fuel companies have been lying to us. They’ve known about climate
change for decades, and have buried the science in an effort to continue
business as usual.

In this episode, we dive into the decades of denial by @exxonmobil and
other nefarious fossil fuel companies.

By investing millions into concealing the science and spreading
misinformation, these companies worked to confuse the public and seed doubt.

This episode features Naomi Oreskes, Professor at Harvard University and
author of ‘Merchants of Doubt’; Author of ‘The Uninhabitable Earth’,
David Wallace-Wells and Writer and Podcast Host @maryheglar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=168je2cRoN8
- -
[more videos at his channel]
https://www.youtube.com/c/JacksGap/videos

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming August 9, 2010*
NASA scientist Jay Zwally appears on MSNBC's "Countdown with Keith
Olbermann"  to discuss Greenland's ice melt and the political
dysfunction that has prevented legislative action on climate change in
the US.
http://youtu.be/5vmupjRkgmU

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry