[✔️] August 16, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Aug 16 09:07:16 EDT 2021

/*August 16, 2021*/

[Yale video report]
*Is Western U.S. experiencing a 'megadrought'?*
Aug 15, 2021
YaleClimateConnections
Intense, prolonged droughts called 'megadroughts’ occurred regularly
during the Middle Ages. Now the U.S. West may be in another megadrought
period, this one made even worse by climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIuLDrcT83A

- -

[California Fire report daily video summary]
*Update and Forecast for Dixie Fire, Monument Fire, River Complex, and
Other Western Wildfires*
August 15, 2021 - recording of a live event
Holt Hanley Weather
The Dixie Fire, River Complex, Monument Fire, Antelope Fire, Mcfarland
Fire, and a number of other wildfires continue to burn in Northern
California.
Throughout this video, we'll dive into all the important updates, as
well as the fire weather forecast to predict how all these wildfires may
change in the coming days.
You can subscribe to stay updated on all major wildfires throughout the
2021 season.
I hope this video was helpful, and thanks for watching.
You can also check out Holt Hanley Weather on Twitter, where I post more
concise updates on the current wildfires:
https://twitter.com/HoltHanleyWX
Update and Forecast for Dixie Fire, Monument Fire, River Complex, and
Other Western Wildfires - Chapters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iWbkng9gvU

[video review of the IPCC report in 14 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zax9XTHUlo]
*IPCC Sixth Climate Assessment. Will this one make the blindest bit of
difference?*
Aug 15, 2021
*Just Have a Think*
The IPCC has been publishing science based climate warning assessments
since 1990 and in those 30 odd years human beings have released more
carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than we did in the previous two
centuries. That has to go down as a fail. This latest report contains
the starkest and bluntest language so far. So will this one make any
difference?
http://www.justhaveathink.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zax9XTHUlo

[Hear from a climate scientist video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiXkCvlznAw]
*What Keeps a Climate Scientist Up at Night? Featuring Dr. Andrew Dessler*
Aug 4, 2021
The Climate Pod
#climatechange #climatescience #climatemodels #heatwave #heatdome
#globalwarming #dessler

Extreme weather events have devastated communities across the globe in
2021. Wildfires, floods, and heatwaves have been made worse by
human-caused climate change, just as climate scientists have warned us
about for decades. This week, we talk to Dr. Andrew Dessler, one of
those climate scientists who has been heeding those warnings and
communicating the science and policy needed to address the climate
crisis. He discusses both the extreme weather he and many others have
predicted for decades and things he's seen in 2021 that he didn't expect.

Dr. Dessler is the Reta A. Haynes Chair in Geosciences at Texas A&M
University. He worked as the Senior Policy Analyst in the White House
Office of Science and Technology Policy under President Bill Clinton.
He’s written books about both the science and the politics behind global
warming.

Be sure to subscribe to The Climate Pod YouTube channel!
https://theclimatepod.libsyn.com/what-keeps-climate-scientists-up-at-night-wdr-andrew-dessler
Listen to the full episode of The Climate Pod featuring Dr. Andrew
Dessler here:
iTunes: https://apple.co/3Ce4BWK
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3yq9lX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiXkCvlznAw

- -

[5 min video - Aug 12, 2021]
*What to expect at COP26*
Following the latest IPCC release, what should we expect at the next UN
Climate Change conference in Glasgow in November? In five minutes,
Jennifer Bansard shares her predictions after covering UNFCCC talks
earlier this year. Watch
https://vimeo.com/586007326

- -

[from the Bulletin]
*Earth Negotiations Bulletin*
Earth Negotiations Bulleting provides a variety of multimedia
informational resources for environment and sustainable development
policymakers, including daily coverage of international negotiations,
analyses and photos. A division of the International Institute for
Sustainable Development, ENB is recognized for its objectivity and issue
expertise in the field of international environment and sustainable
development policy. ENB reports and multimedia are an essential source
of information for government officials, policy and decision makers, UN
staff, non-governmental organizations, intergovernmental organizations,
business, industry and academia.
https://vimeo.com/iisdenb

[Attribution science a few years ago]
*Friederike Otto, Oxford University speaking at the Conference on Loss
and Damage 2019 in Lund*
Nov 15, 2019
LUCSUS and LUMES
Conference on Loss and Damage 2019 in Lund, Sweden
Here we have gathered recordings from the opening session, 30th October
2019, from the Conference on Loss and Damage 2019.

Speakers at the opening session

09.30     Opening welcome and short introduction to the conference on
L&D (Emily Boyd, Lund University Centre for Sustainability Studies)
10.00     Where is the international policy focus and what are important
research issues relevant to loss and damage? (Koko Warner, United
Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change)
10.30     Efforts to develop L&D research and practice? (Reinhard
Mechler, IIASA)
11.00     What do we know about the science of attribution? (Friederike
Otto, Oxford University)
11.30     Inspirational talk (Jonas Åkerman, Department of Physical
Geography and Ecosystem Science, Lund University)

The conference was organised by Lund University Centre for
Sustainability Studies in partnership with the Centre for Environmental
and Climate Research (CEC) Lund University, Oxford University, Met
Office UK, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis,
International Centre for Climate Change and Development (ICCCAD), Munich
Re Foundation and Copenhagen University.
  www.lucsus.lu.se
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP2yxYBn_Ow

[the likely answer is "No"]
*Financial sector risks repeating Global Financial Crisis mistakes on
climate change: new report*
Released today, a week after the IPCC warned time to act on temperature
rise is fast closing, Breakthough's latest report Degrees of Risk: Can
the banking system survive climate warming of 3°C? draws lessons from
the Global Financial Crisis and urges the financial sector to change its
approach to climate risks to avoid making the same mistakes.

Download the full report
https://breakthroughonline.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4a61106741e16151c30befba0&id=ed6d119d35&e=29f344a8e5
- -
*DEGREES OF RISK*
Written by: David Spratt & Ian Dunlop
*Can the banking system survive climate warming of 3˚C?*
This latest Breakthrough report draws lessons from the Global Financial
Crisis and urges the financial sector to change its approach to climate
risks to avoid making the same mistakes.
https://www.breakthroughonline.org.au/dor

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming August 16, 2013*

August 16, 2013: The climate documentary "The Politics of Power" airs
for the first, last and only time on MSNBC.
MSNBC's 'Power' Outage: Chris Hayes' Climate Change Documentary STILL
Unavailable Online
The curious blackout of the cable net's one-hour 'Politics of Power'
special...
By D.R. TUCKER on 8/29/2013, 10:05am PT
If you missed the MSNBC/Chris Hayes documentary The Politics of Power on
August 16, you may never have the chance to see it again in its entirety.

Sure, you can watch the final fifty-nine seconds of the documentary on
MSNBC.com, and a four-minute clip from the program, plus a few "web
extras". But, for some reason, the rest of the special --- a rare
hour-long cable news documentary on the climate crisis and its fossil
fuel industry-funded deniers --- has yet to be posted online. Anywhere.
At least anywhere that we were able to find.

The BRAD BLOG has made repeated inquires to MSNBC, as well as to Chris
Hayes and whoever monitors All In's Twitter feed, as to why the
documentary, which aired during Hayes' normal All in With Chris Hayes
time slot, has not been made available in full online. That, despite the
fact that Rachel Maddow's documentary, Hubris: Selling the Iraq War, was
posted on MSNBC.com almost immediately after it first aired on February
18, 2013. As of this writing, we have yet to receive a response from
MSNBC or Hayes or All In as to whether or when the doc might be made
available online, or why it hasn't been so far.

Now, why would that be?...

A week or so after it aired, we were able to find a transcript of the
August 16 documentary posted online. Reading through it, one can
appreciate why the piece received high praise from former Vice President
Al Gore --- and why certain entities might not be happy with the
prospect of the video being widely available and, who knows, maybe even
going viral.

Consider these remarks from the film's transcript...:

HAYES: What once seemed science fiction in the film "The Day After
Tomorrow", now, almost a decade later, is closer to reality. It's the
dangerous formula of fossil fuel economy and climate change continues to
play out.
For the next hour, we'll show that climate change is happening, and the
root of the problem is our dependence on fossil fuels. The story of our
energy use is fascinating, where we get it, what type it is, and how
much we use. And that needs to change.
HAYES: "Bloomberg Businessweek" magazine puts it even more bluntly,
across the globe, a disturbing statistic. Carbon emissions from the
consumption of energy are up 48 percent since 1992.

We`ve heard it many times before, but it bears repeating, because some
people still don`t get it. When coal, oil, and natural gas are burned to
create energy, the process pumps carbon dioxide and other gases into the
atmosphere. They don't dissipate. They stay there, creating a sort of
blanket that traps heat in.

If the heat stays in, the planet gets warmer. If the planet gets warmer,
the ice caps melt. If the ice caps melt, they can no longer reflect the
sun's rays. That means the rays are absorbed by the dark water. Warmer
water means the seas expand, rise, and fuel super storms, like Sandy.
HAYES: Not surprisingly, some of the funding for climate change denial
comes from the very industry with the most to lose, fossil fuel
companies. One of the largest financial backers of the climate denial
movement was ExxonMobil. Its annual reports show that from 1998 to 2007,
ExxonMobil gave millions of dollars to organizations that cast doubt on
the scientific validity of climate change.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It`s obvious why they want climate change not to be
true. As long as climate change is not true, then we can keep selling
coal, natural gas, and oil. So, remove the cause and your business is
preserved.

HAYES: In 2008, ExxonMobil announced they would discontinue
contributions to groups that could, quote, "divert attention in the
important discussions on how the world will secure the energy required
for economic growth in an environmentally responsible manner. In fact,
ExxonMobil is funding research devoted to mitigating the increase in
greenhouse gases.

Yet there remain numerous deep-pocketed billionaires and corporations
still supporting climate change denial.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: It`s really disheartening, as a climate scientist
to hear the misrepresentation of the science. And reminds me of what
happened with tobacco.

HAYES: In 1994, they said their product was not addictive, despite the
evidence proving the opposite.

JOSEPH TADDEO, U.S. TOBACCO: I don't believe that nicotine or our
products are addictive.

ANDREW TISCH, LORILLARD TOBACCO: I believe that nicotine is not addictive.

EDWARD HORRIGAN, LIGGETT GROUP: I believe that nicotine is not addictive.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The cigarette industry created 50 years of pseudo
science to convince legislators, regulators and smokers that smoking was
not harmful. Is the fossil fuel industry now paying for pseudo science
to convince policymakers they're not to blame for climate change? Of
course they are.

MORGAN: There is a window of time where we need to act, and once you go
past that window, if the emissions keep going up, you lose the Arctic. I
have to hope that people think about how they're going to protect their
homes, their families, their kids, and get down to business, because we
don`t have that much time.
HAYES: It's hard to believe, but just 50 years ago, an oil company ran
an ad, actually boasting that each day it sold enough energy to melt 7
million tons of glaciers. Today, those melting glaciers and arctic ice
no longer symbolize economic progress, but are the proverbial canary in
the coal mine of climate change.

But why are we in this situation to begin with, and what`s keeping us
from taking the necessary option to solve it?

It turns out the politics of power is really about the politics of
fossil fuels.

HAYES (voice-over): In the United States, 80 percent of our energy comes
from fossil fuels --- coal, oil, natural gas. And which one do we use
the most? Oil.

In 2012, we used almost 7 billion barrels of oil to fuel nearly all of
our transportation, provide half of our industrial energy needs, and
make chemicals, plastics, and synthetic materials found in nearly
everything we use today. In fact, the U.S. is the world`s top energy
consumer, and much of it is imported, often from volatile nations.

Not the sort of thing that might give comfort to the fossil fuel
companies that advertise --- a lot --- on MSNBC and MSNBC.com.

To be fair, MSNBC.com did post a series of so-called "web extras"
related to the documentary, including extended interviews with former
EPA Administrator Carol Browner, as well as author Steve Coll and
solar-energy entrepreneur Jigar Shah. There's also a nice bit about
energy efficiency at One World Trade Center, the tower being built at
the site of the World Trade Center. Yet, the entire documentary ---
easier to take in via video, for those not inclined to plow through text
transcripts --- remains missing in action nearly two weeks since its
only airing...
- -
The transcript indicates that The Politics of Power went further than
usual (by corporate-media standards) in pointing to the root cause of
the climate crisis: the burning of fossil fuels, and the power of the
fossil-fuel industry to stymie legislative and executive action to
reduce carbon emissions. It was, we concede, a courageous decision to
air the piece in the first place. However, those who weren't able to
watch on August 16 appear pretty much out of luck. Rightly or wrongly,
observers might well conclude that MSNBC has invoked the first
commandment of corporate media: Thou shalt not offend advertisers.

You may recall that in 2007, Michael Moore pointed out the role
pharmaceutical advertising plays in inducing corporate media to avoid
serious discussion of the problems facing the American health-care
system. The same could be said for Big Oil's heavy advertising, and the
role it clearly plays in inducing corporate media to avoid serious
discussion of the climate crisis. Is it really too far-fetched to
suggest that MSNBC.com might have made the call not to post the full
documentary online, so as to avoid any (further?) backlash from the
fossil fuel companies that advertise so heavily on MSNBC and MSNBC.com?

Granted, the newly launched Al Jazeera America is also keeping its
widely praised climate coverage offline. In fact, they're keeping all of
their coverage offline, as noted by environmental reporter Todd Woody:

The downside is that many US residents won't see that coverage. A little
under half the country's 100 million homes will be able to get Al
Jazeera America through their cable providers, and in order to win deals
with those carriers, the network has blocked Americans from viewing its
internet stream or videos on YouTube.
That's a legitimate explanation. Or, at least it's an explanation, which
is more than we've been able to spark from MSNBC to date as to why The
Politics of Power is seemingly being blacked out...
- -
http://www.bradblog.com/?p=10284

- -
*MSNBC's 'Missing' Climate Change Documentary Finally Found! (Sort Of)*
Chris Hayes' special quietly made available 'On Demand'...
By BRAD FRIEDMAN on 10/2/2013, 12:04pm PT
In late August, climate hawk and too-occasional BRAD BLOG contributor
D.R. Tucker reported how MSNBC's August 16th Chris Hayes hosted
documentary on climate change and the global warming denial industry,
was nowhere to be found online. Unlike previous docs from the cable net,
this one had not made available online after its initial airing.

Despite our best efforts at the time to receive an explanation from
MSNBC or Chris Hayes or the producers of his nightly prime-time show,
All In (which produced and presented the doc during their normal hour),
as to why the special had not been posted online, several weeks went by
and we received no response.

The unexplained online "black out" of Politics of Power led Tucker to
wonder, by August 29th, if "certain entities" (such as ExxonMobil and
other fossil fuel industry corporations, global warming deniers and
other similarly big advertisers on MSNBC) "might not be happy with the
prospect of the video being widely available and, who knows, maybe even
going viral."

Well, we've still received no direct response to our queries from Hayes
or anyone at MSNBC as to the whereabouts of the "missing" documentary,
or the explanation for it. But while browsing some video clips recently
at the MSNBC website, I just happened to come across this graphic
amongst a list of video clips available on the site...

Clicking on it brought me to a page with this explanation:

A few of our viewers have been looking for the online clips to the
documentary Politics of Power.
We’ve posted the first part of the documentary, above.

The documentary can be found in its entirety on the following cable
providers’ websites (authentication required). Search "All In with Chris
Hayes 8.16."

"A few of our viewers". :-)

The page pointing to the "On Demand" version of the special looks to
have been created on September 10, about 12 days after our initial
article and persistent questioning about where the heck the documentary
was, and almost a full month after the film had aired on MSNBC.

Unfortunately, for me, I was in the mountains and off the grid when it
originally ran and still won't be able to see it in its entirely,
apparently. The "On Demand" providers listed (Comcast, Verizon, Dish,
Mediacom, Suddenlink) do not happen to include mine. But you may be luckier.

In the meantime, the following clip of the first 10 minutes of Politics
of Power was posted on the page cited above. So, mystery partially
solved. But the question as to why the documentary was not made
available in full online for all at the MSNBC site --- as, for example,
Rachel Maddow's Hubris: Selling the Iraq War had been, immediately after
its first airing --- remains unanswered.

And, hey, MSNBC and/or All In With Chris Hayes, would it have killed ya
to respond to our very polite queries?
http://www.bradblog.com/?p=10284

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry