[✔️] December 19, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Dec 19 10:33:31 EST 2021

/*December 19, 2021*/

/[  Yes it is; no, it's snot ]/
//*CLIMATE CHANGE IS GOING TO BE GROSS*
The thick layer of mucilage that covered the Sea of Marmara for weeks
was an unsettling glimpse of climate change’s more oozy effects.
By Jenna Scatena
DEC 18, 2021
- -
This intense warming, along with decades of abuse from pollution and
overfishing, sent the Marmara into a state of maritime shock. At the end
of 2020, increased concentrations of phosphorus and nitrogen led to a
boom in phytoplankton, single-celled organisms whose name means “plant
drifter” in Greek. The Marmara’s warming surface temperature also caused
its waters to stratify, slowing the currents that would normally help
disrupt algae growth.

Eventually, the phytoplankton began to run out of nutrients, causing the
cells of some species to exude a sticky substance. As these cells died,
they collided and stuck together, aggregating into globs that hovered in
the warmest layer of the stratified water. With time and exposure, the
globs turned into a submerged mat of mucus that trapped nearly
everything around it—bacteria, fish larvae, dead cells, debris. Bacteria
thrived on the dead phytoplankton, adding to the mat’s mass. “At that
point, it takes on a life of its own,” Mustafa Yucel, a marine-science
professor at Middle East Technical University’s Institute of Marine
Science, told me. With increasing water temperatures, he said, we should
prepare to see more extreme reactions in our seas—including
invasive-species outbreaks and massive algal and seaweed blooms.

The fisherman Roy Oksen, the chief of one of Istanbul’s fishing
cooperatives, remembers the first time he couldn’t pull his fishing net
into his boat. Something was weighing it down. He asked a shipmate for
help, and together they hoisted the net out of the water. Instead of
fish, it was full of a dark, slippery goo. Soon, he told me, the
mucilage was clogging not only nets but also boat motors...
- -
What I’d been looking at all summer, I realized, was not only an
unfamiliar phenomenon but also an unfamiliar kind of death. To confront
global warming is to confront death, and it will show up in surprising
places and forms—some painful, some disgusting, some disorienting.. We
talk about preparing for climate change, but how can we prepare for
endings we can’t yet imagine?...
- -
After talking with Yucel and his colleagues in the Port of Haydarpaşa, I
stepped off their research vessel and looked back at the Marmara. I
wanted to feel the same relief as the rest of Istanbul, to jump back
into the sea and float in its tides, staring up at the blue sky. I
wanted to believe that the water was clean, that the source of the
disgusting ooze was gone. But instead, as I looked at the water, I felt
something rise up inside me, a new feeling of disgust. Only this time,
it wasn’t a reaction to the mucilage. As long as humans continue
polluting and heating the sea, marine ecosystems will become more
delicate and less predictable. Each outbreak shows us the consequences
of our own actions—if we choose to see them.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/12/turkey-sea-snot-climate-change/620756/

[ follow the money ]
*Climate Change an ‘Emerging Threat’ to U.S. Financial Stability,
Regulators Say*
The Financial Stability Oversight Council issued a formal warning on the
economic damage that global warming could inflict.
By Alan Rappeport - Dec. 17, 2021
WASHINGTON — Federal regulators warned for the first time in an annual
report to Congress on Friday that climate change was an “emerging
threat” to the U.S. financial system, laying out how the costs
associated with more hurricanes, wildfires and floods caused by global
warming could lead to a cascade of damage throughout the economy.

The Financial Stability Oversight Council, a group of top financial
regulators led by the Treasury secretary, offered a grim assessment of
how the fallout from rising temperatures could spread, hurting property
values and saddling insurers, banks and pensions that are associated
with the sector with heavy losses. The report follows a similar analysis
of climate risk that the council released in October.

“Increased frequency and severity of acute physical risk events and
longer-term chronic phenomena associated with climate change are
expected to lead to increased economic and financial costs,” the new
document said...
- -
Corporate credit also remains a concern, with leverage at non-financial
corporations elevated compared with historical levels. Regulators are
watching the airline, hospitality and restaurant industries, which have
been hit hard by the pandemic, and warned that a wave of defaults or
downgrades could be difficult for the financial sector to absorb.

The financial system is also facing an array of new threats.

Digital assets, known as stablecoins, are another potential source of
vulnerability, regulators said, adding that more coordinated oversight
is needed because the sector is evolving so quickly. They said that the
value of digital assets remained highly volatile and that they could be
subject to “the risk of operational failures, fraud, and market
manipulation.”

The new technology could pose risks to the broader financial system if
investors in digital currencies are suddenly unable to cash them in. The
regulators also said that stablecoins could pose risks related to
cybersecurity and illicit finance.

The F.S.O.C. does not have rule-writing power but it can prod regulators
into addressing market vulnerabilities, and it has the power to
designate certain entities or activities as “systemic” and in need of
stricter oversight.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/17/us/politics/climate-change-us-financial-threat.html

[ Great idea for civic solar deployment ]
*Massachusetts plans to use solar panels as highway sound barriers in
suburban Boston*
https://pvbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/solar-panels-on-highway-noise-barriers.jpg
https://pvbuzz.com/solar-panels-highway-sound-barriers/

/[ 8 min video - chats with director and cast  ]/
*Leo During A Panel Talk With His Co-Stars Of Don’t Look Up That Was
Moderated By Director Adam McKay*
Dec 17, 2021
Daily Leo
Recently, Director Adam McKay moderated an Around the Table panel talk
with his Don’t Look Up cast, Leo, J.Law, Jonah, Meryl & Tyler Perry, for
Entertainment Weekly. During the chat, Leo, the rest of the cast & McKay
talked all things about the movie from how everyone came on board to
climate change & filming during covid. All while Jonah placed a fart
machine - that was given to him as a wrap gift from Julia Louis-Dreyfus
- underneath the table where Leo was sitting & would set it off every
once & a while.

Leo, who let Jonah stay with him (as it was during covid) during the
duration of the filming process, also had his huskies with him during
the time that filming was happening. During this sit down, Leo told a
crazy story about how one of his dogs fell into a frozen lake, followed
by the other one soon after & Leo had to get into the lake & fish them
out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rkBd-B-XbY
- -
/[  longer clip from Don't Look Up  "100% for sure"  ] /
*Don’t Look Up Movie Clip (2021)*
Nov 15, 2021
Daily Leo
New clip from Don’t Look Up dropped early today (Sunday in America). In
the clip the two astronomers Dr. Randall Mindy (Leo) & Kate Dibiasky
(Jen Lawrence) appear on a morning talk show that’s hosted by two upbeat
hosts, Brie Evantee (Cate Blanchett) & Jack Bremmer (Tyler Perry).
However, Randall & Kate have a hard time getting through to the hosts
that the world is headed for destruction from the comet that is headed
towards earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqFZ7u_O_JU
- -
/[   "The trailer hides so much from the movie -- ]/
//*Why DON'T LOOK UP is a PERFECT Movie | Netflix Movie Review*
Dec 8, 2021
Zach Pope
DON'T LOOK UP is one of my most anticipated movies for 2021, but after
some trailers that really didn't impress me, I'm ready to let you all
know that Adam Mckay's latest movie is PERFECT and his best MOVIE yet.
In this video, Zach Pope dives into why Don't Look Up is a PERFECT
movie. and truly what makes the film so damn special! This is a movie
review for Don't Look Up! Don't Look Up Movie Review #DontLookUp
#Netflix #NetflixReview #LeonardoDicaprio #JenniferLawrence

Based on real events that haven’t happened - yet. Don’t Look Up in
select theaters December 10 and on Netflix December 24.

DON’T LOOK UP tells the story of two low-level astronomers who must go
on a giant media tour to warn mankind of an approaching comet that will
destroy planet Earth. Written and Directed by Adam McKay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F9KkEYPYK4

/[ ok time to consider nuclear, again - 15 min video]/
*Rolls Royce Small Modular Reactor. Energy Revolution or delusional
distraction?*
Dec 19, 2021
Just Have a Think
Nuclear power has been around for decades but it's never achieved the
global dominance of the energy sector that its creators envisioned. Now,
as the world moves away from fossil fuels, the nuclear debate is firmly
back in focus and Small Modular Reactors are being touted as the only
zero carbon baseload solution to our climate crisis. Rolls Royce say th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ3DvcXd3mM

/[ Science briefing moderately plain speaking -- COP26 briefing
Greenland ice sheet --  starts about 3:20 in  - also Jason Box talks
about new cryo science ] /
*Greenland’s Tipping Point*
Nov 2, 2021
International Cryosphere Climate Initiative
Greenland’s ice is 3 km thick, and runs entirely to its bedrock base
which is currently below sea level.  What is the tipping point of
Greenland, where the altitude of the ice sheet is so lowered by surface
melt that near-complete loss is unavoidable?  An explanation of this
important and complex ice sheet. Organized by the University of Copenhagen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAIzJd6qQKs

- -

/[  Antarctica is still the wildcard ice melt future - Today it is still
VERY cold in its summertime ]/
*Antarctica and Paris Goals: Risks of Massive Sea-level Rise*
Nov 2, 2021
International Cryosphere Climate Initiative
Recent published research shows the danger of massive, potentially
irreversible, global sea-level rise within the next couple of centuries
should temperatures overshoot 2°C. Perhaps most sobering, this loss may
become rapid and permanent, with no halt in ice loss even should CO2
concentrations return t pre-industrial levels; and rates approaching 5
cm/year by 2150, and 10 meters of sea-level rise by 2300 should today’s
emissions levels continue.  IPCC scientists provide a clear-eyed look at
risks from Antarctica, and implications for the Paris Agreement
temperature goals.SIDS and future generations. Organized by the
University of Massachusetts-Amherst.
https://youtu.be/H-qn2e9v38o?t=1239

[The news archive - looking back]

*On this day in the history of global warming December  19, 2014*

In the New York Times, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. observes:

"Coal is an outlaw enterprise. In nearly every stage of its production,
many companies that profit from it routinely defy safety and
environmental laws and standards designed to protect America’s public
health, property and prosperity...it is no wonder that some in the
[coal] industry use their inordinate political and economic power to
influence government officials and capture the regulating agencies."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/opinion/coal-an-outlaw-enterprise.html?ref=opinion