[✔️] December 20, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Dec 20 11:27:55 EST 2021

/*December 20, 2021*/

/[  Using the Titanic metaphor: US Senator Manchin has propped open the
waterproof doors .. ]/
*Manchin Pulls Support From Biden’s Social Policy Bill, Imperiling Its
Passage*
The West Virginia senator’s comments dealt a potentially fatal blow to
the centerpiece of the president’s domestic agenda, and drew a broadside
from the White House.
- -
Climate experts said they believe there is little room left to
compromise on the measure’s major climate change provisions. Mr. Manchin
already has rejected the part of the bill that would have been the
single most effective tool to reduce greenhouse gases, a clean
electricity program that would have rewarded power plants that switched
from burning fossil fuels to solar, wind and other clean sources, and
punished those that did not...
- -
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/19/us/politics/manchin-build-back-better.html

/[   Washington Post  ]/
*2021 brought a wave of extreme weather disasters. Scientists say worse
lies ahead.*
“The weather of the past will not be the weather of the future," says a
NOAA scientist. “As long as we are emitting greenhouse gases at a
historically unprecedented rate, we should expect this change to continue.."
By Sarah Kaplan and Brady Dennis
December 17, 2021
Scores of studies presented this week at the world’s largest climate
science conference offered an unequivocal and unsettling message:
Climate change is fundamentally altering what kind of weather is
possible, and its fingerprint can be found in the rising number of
disasters that have claimed lives and upended livelihoods around the world.

Record-shattering heat waves, devastating floods, scorching wildfires
and persistent droughts are among the litany of catastrophes scientists
say they can definitively link to human activities — primarily the
burning of fossil fuels.

The world must find a way to cope with this new era of climate
disasters, researchers warn. Because without major changes, the forecast
will grow only worse with time.

“The weather of the past will not be the weather of the future,” said
Stephanie Herring, a climate scientist at the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration. “As long as we are emitting greenhouse gases
at a historically unprecedented rate, we should expect this change to
continue.”..
- -
With each incremental increase in temperature, climate change
turbocharges Earth’s naturally-occurring processes.

As the atmosphere traps more heat, the ocean soaks up that energy and
transforms it into fuel for hurricanes. High temperatures cause water to
evaporate from vegetation and soil, amplifying drought.

Warmer air can also hold more moisture, so that the rain that finally
does fall comes in a deluge. Fires burn hotter in this world. Floods are
faster, wetter, bigger.

“We’re putting enough energy in there that events we’ve always had are
going to be even more powerful,” said oceanographer Susan Lozier, dean
of the College of Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology and
American Geophysical Union president...
- -
“A lot of people are very fragile at the moment,” the 62-year-old mayor
said. “It’s been a very tough year.”

Polderman spends a lot of time these days thinking about how the town
can build back in a more resilient way, one that takes into account the
prospect of hotter temperatures, longer droughts, more wildfires and
heavier rain events.

“We need to plan for that, so we can live through it,” he said.

What he does not spend time on is wondering whether climate change is
happening, and whether it will get worse. He has watched temperature
records get obliterated in his town, wildfire consume the homes of
friends and neighbors and biblical weather batter his province, all in
the past year.

“I used to think that it was going to be the next generation that was
going to have to deal with climate change. I think otherwise now,”
Polderman said. “It’s something we better start dealing with sooner than
later.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/12/17/climate-change-extreme-weather-future/

/[  something super-positive about fish  ]/
*New study models salmon habitat created by glacial melt*
December 16, 2021

A new study modeling glacier retreat hints at a bright spot for salmon
as new habitat opens up from underneath melting glacier ice.

The study, “Glacier retreat creating new Pacific salmon habitat in
western North America,” led by Kara Pitman at Simon Fraser University in
Vancouver, British Columbia hypothesizes an additional 6% more salmon
habitat, mainly in Alaska, by the end of the century.

“The hot spot is the central coast of the Gulf of Alaska,” said
University of Alaska Southeast environmental science professor Eran
Hood, one of the study’s authors. “The area north of the Alsek and south
of the Copper River. That’s where we estimated a 27% increase in river
habitat that could be colonized by salmon. That area has some very large
glaciers and flat terrain creating the potential for several thousand
kilometers of new salmon habitat by the end of the century.”

The additional habitat could lead to “new, sizable increases in salmon
production in some locations,” the study says. One kilometer of spawning
habitat can produce 500 to 1,500 juvenile coho, according to the study...
- -
Researchers estimated that streams exposed by glacier retreat that had a
gradient above 10-15% would be too steep for salmon to colonize...
- -
In the “Northern Southeast” region in the study, which contains the
Chilkat Valley, it was estimated that glacier retreat could open up 150
km of new spawning habitat by the end of the century. This is compared
to 1,930 kilometers of new spawning habitat through the entire study
region, which spans from Cook Inlet to the southern coast of British
Columbia.

“We identified 315 retreating glaciers at the headwaters of present-day
streams that will create salmon-accessible streams assuming a 10% stream
gradient threshold for upstream salmon migration, and 603 glaciers
assuming a 15% stream gradient threshold,” the study states.

Some percentage of salmon are prone to stray from their home streams,
Hood said. The tendency to stray is an evolutionary adaptation to
protect a population from dying out if a particular stream becomes
compromised.
- -
Hood also warned that future salmon population increases are still at
risk from the effects of climate change such as ocean acidification,
warming waters, sea-level rise and extreme floods and droughts.

“We don’t want to make people think ‘Oh everything’s going to be great
for salmon.’ In some areas glacier retreat will create new salmon
production, but we also have to keep in mind the problems that climate
change pose for salmon,” Hood said.
https://www.chilkatvalleynews.com/story/2021/12/16/news/new-study-models-salmon-habitat-created-by-glacial-melt/15589.html

/[ Reach back 30 years in TV -- https://youtu.be/AaK8FR3mmnA]/
*This Week’s “SNL” Revisited a 30-Year-Old Sketch to Make a Point About
Climate Change*
An alarming reminder of how little has changed
  DECEMBER 19, 2021
Last night’s Saturday Night Live was an especially odd episode,
featuring a blend of pre-taped sketches and some highlights from the
show’s archives. It wasn’t what the show’s producers had planned, but
concerns over the Omicron variant led to a last-minute change.

It also made for one of the night’s most inspired decisions — revisiting
a 30-year-old sketch and illustrating that some satire holds up quite
well over the years. In this case, though, the reasons for that are more
than a little terrifying. The introduction to the sketch found Hanks
looking back on the bygone days when global warming was a threat.

“Back in the day, we thought this was a huge deal — but then it
magically disappeared!” Hanks said — and then paused, reminded by an
offscreen voice that, no, this was indeed still a huge problem. Hanks
then cited the sketch as a favorite of his, and pointed out that it had
aired in 1991. You know, 30 years ago...

    *The Global Warming Christmas Special - SNL
    *https://youtu.be/AaK8FR3mmnA
    Dec 18, 2021
    *Saturday Night Live*
    Scientist Carl Sagan (Mike Myers) and Dean Martin (Tom Hanks) share
    facts about climate change during a Christmas special. [Season 16, 1990]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaK8FR3mmnA

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/television/snl-revisited-30-year-old-sketch-climate-change

/[  See the movie in a theater, or by Netflix after Dec 24th  ] /
*‘Don’t Look Up’ is a climate change allegory. These docs reveal the
reality.*
Adam McKay’s satire lacerates a society that delays action and denies
scientific facts. Watch these seven documentaries if you want to learn
more about the climate crisis.
- -
Here’s a look at seven documentaries that tackle the weighty topic from
various angles — and underline the urgency of the threat that faces us all.

The films are listed in alphabetical order.

    *"An Inconvenient Truth" (2006)...*

    *"Before the Flood" (2016)...*

    *"Chasing Ice" (2012) and "Chasing Coral" (2017) ...*

    *"I Am Greta" (2020)...**
    *

    *"Ice on Fire" (2019)...*

    *"Merchants of Doubt" (2014)...*

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/dont-look-climate-change-allegory-docs-reveal-reality-rcna8584

/[ ... from the Economist - after you $ubscribe.. ] /
*Our most read climate explainers of 2021*
A selection of explanatory articles on the science and politics of
climate change...
https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2021/12/19/our-most-read-climate-explainers-of-2021

/[ Classic document from August 2921]/
*Humans have pushed the climate into ‘unprecedented’ territory, landmark
U.N. report finds*
The U.N. chief called the findings ‘a code red for humanity’ with worse
climate impacts to come unless greenhouse gas pollution falls dramatically
More than three decades ago, a collection of scientists assembled by the
United Nations first warned that humans were fueling a dangerous
greenhouse effect and that if the world did not act collectively and
deliberately to slow Earth’s warming, there could be “profound
consequences” for people and nature alike.

The scientists were right.

On Monday, that same body — the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change — described how humans have altered the environment at an
“unprecedented” pace and detailed how catastrophic impacts lie ahead
unless the world rapidly and dramatically cuts greenhouse gas emissions....
*https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/2018/05/ipcc_90_92_assessments_far_wg_II_spm.pdf*
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/08/09/ipcc-climate-report-global-warming-greenhouse-gas-effect/

/[  from Columbia Climate School ]/
*Climate Change Education Is Failing Our Youth*
BY ANNIKA LARSON -- DEC 17, 2021
- -
Even more alarming, most teachers do not accurately understand climate
science to teach it properly. The Yale Program on Climate Change
reported 70 percent of middle school and 55 percent of high school
science teachers do not recognize the scientific consensus on climate
change. And according to the National Center for Science Education, 40
percent of teachers who integrate climate change into their science
curriculum teach it inaccurately.
- -
In 2021, the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication reported that
78 percent of registered voters support schools teaching children about
the causes, consequences, and potential solutions to global warming.
With public support mounting for climate education, it is time we demand
action from the national government. Students and teachers alike need to
be properly educated on climate science.

Instead of determining the future state of the planet for our youth,
let’s educate them with the accurate information they need to understand
climate change and, when it’s their turn, to take the steps required to
ensure a livable future for all.
https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2021/12/17/climate-change-education-is-failing-our-youth/

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*On this day in the history of global warming December 20, 1983*
December 20, 1983: PBS airs "Climate Crisis: The Greenhouse Effect," a
"NOVA" special on global warming featuring Tennessee Rep. Al Gore.
http://youtu.be/T8JlBkOe6HU
http://www.nytimes.com/1986/06/24/movies/earth-s-climatic-crisis-examined-by-nova.html