[✔️] July 12, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jul 12 08:08:08 EDT 2021

/*July 12, 2021*/

[heat+drought+wind+spark=fires]
*Firefighters struggle to contain exploding northern California wildfire*
Blaze rushes north-east from the Sierra Nevada forest region after
doubling in size as heatwave blankets US west
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/11/northern-california-wildfire-heatwave

- -

*Bootleg Fire in Oregon Scorches 143,000 Acres as Heat Wave Continues in
the West*
With record-breaking temperatures and hard-to-contain wildfires, Western
states are struggling through a hellish summer.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/11/us/oregon-bootleg-fire.html

- -

*Stark images*
https://static.dw.com/image/58228578_303.jpg
https://static.dw.com/image/58228602_401.jpg
https://static.dw.com/image/58228626_401.jpg
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/07/11/multimedia/11-HEATWAVE/11-HEATWAVE-superJumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

- -

[video reports from DW]
*California preparing for worst fire season on record*- -
*Canada's Trudeau on wildfires: Climate change plays 'significant role'*
https://www.dw.com/en/us-firefighters-struggle-to-control-wildfires-amid-heat-wave/a-5822846

[overdue, and they could have done a Zoom meeting anytime]
*Billionaires descend on Sun Valley in private jets to talk about
climate change*
The private conference was canceled last year because of the pandemic
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/billionaires-descend-on-sun-valley-in-private-jets-to-talk-about-climate-change

- -

[too little, too late]
*G20 ministers endorse carbon pricing to help tackle climate change*
ECB president Christine Lagarde calls for mechanism that reflects ‘true
cost of carbon’
https://www.ft.com/content/9cd74b8f-4d6c-4cf8-a249-87c0acb1a828

- -

[Infinite risk]
*Yellen: US regulators to assess risk posed by climate change*
By MARTIN CRUTSINGER

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen says she will
lead an effort by top U.S. regulators to assess the potential risk that
climate change poses to America’s financial system, part of a
wide-ranging initiative launched by the Biden administration.

Yellen says the regulatory review, which will be done by the Financial
Stability Oversight Council, will examine whether banks and other
lending institutions are properly assessing the risks to financial
stability. She chairs the committee, which includes Treasury, the
Federal Reserve, the Securities and Exchange Commission and other
financial regulators.

“The current financial system is not producing reliable disclosures,”
Yellen said in remarks prepared for the Venice International Conference
on Climate and released in Washington...

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-business-government-and-politics-climate-climate-change-bc3f5dabe04ca18fc166cb78b6d20825

- -

[government action]
*One of Canada’s top climate officials is trying to save the planet — by
leaving government*
Catherine McKenna spent the last six years working on climate change in
Canada’s government.
By Jariel Arvin -- Jul 8, 2021,
- -
Which raises an interesting question: What does it say about the
politics of climate change that McKenna, who spent the past six years in
government working on climate change, doesn’t think she was doing enough
to address climate change?

While McKenna achieved a lot during her time in office, she has also
faced misogynistic attacks. In 2017, Conservative MP Gerry Ritz called
her “climate Barbie” on Twitter, which McKenna called “sexist.” (Ritz
later apologized.) She’s also had to put up with her office being
defaced with a vulgar slur and men shouting abuse at her office...
- -
I did my part here. I’ve done what I came to do, and that’s just the
truth. I wanted Canada to be in a much more positive place on climate. I
wanted to be very practical. Some people think you should be in politics
forever, but that’s never been my view.
https://www.vox.com/22566673/canada-environment-climate-change-mckenna

[Action figure]
*Arnold Schwarzenegger’s ironic warning over climate change rhetoric*
- -
“If pollution is created by humans, it can be solved by humans,” he
said, “We can kill it.”
Angels take pitcher Sam Bachman with ninth overall selection in MLB draft

What he was talking about was the importance of volition in
storytelling, the idea that people can take action to effect changes in
their situation. It’s the opposite of the gloomier philosophy that we’re
all just playthings of fate awaiting our doom.

Climate activists have succeeded in persuading many people that we’re on
our way to human extinction and picking up speed. Schwarzenegger warned
that this has created “constant alarm which cannot be sustained.”
- -
https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2021/07/11/arnold-schwarzeneggers-ironic-warning-over-climate-change-rhetoric/

[new term: thermosyphons]
*Thawing Permafrost has Damaged the Trans-Alaska Pipeline and Poses an
Ongoing Threat*
The pipeline operator is repairing damage to its supports caused by a
sliding slope of permafrost, and installing chillers to keep the ground
around it frozen.
By David Hasemyer - - July 11, 2021
- -
The slope of permafrost where an 810-foot section of pipeline is secured
has started to shift as it thaws, causing several of the braces holding
up the pipeline to tilt and bend, according to an analysis by the Alaska
Department of Natural Resources. The department has permitted
construction of a cooling system designed to keep the permafrost
surrounding the vulnerable section of pipeline just north of Fairbanks
frozen, as well as to replace the damaged portions of the support structure.

This appears to be the first instance that the pipeline supports have
been damaged by “slope creep” caused by thawing permafrost, records and
interviews with officials involved with managing the pipeline show...
- -
The installation of the heat pipes builds on an obvious irony. The state
is heating up twice as fast as the global average, which is driving the
thawing of permafrost that the oil industry must keep frozen to maintain
the infrastructure that allows it to extract more of the fossil fuels
that cause the warming.

Any spill from the 48-inch diameter pipeline that flows with an average
of 20 million gallons of oil a day, and the resulting clean-up activity,
could accelerate the thawing of the permafrost even more, environmental
experts said.
- -
Alyeska is installing approximately 100 free-standing thermosyphons 40
to 60 feet into the ground. Construction is expected to take 120 days
and will also include a three-foot layer of insulating wood chips atop
the permafrost...
- -
“Permafrost changes were anticipated during the original design,” she
said. “The construction mode and method of pipe support are designed to
maintain the integrity of the pipeline and minimize impacts to the
environment.”

To avoid problems with the permafrost, 420 miles of the Trans-Alaska
Pipeline were built on an elevated support system that keeps the pipe
about six feet above the ground. The frames that hold the pipeline,
called vertical support members, look like a capital H with the pipeline
resting on the cross stroke. Many of them have thermosyphons
incorporated into the structure to keep the permafrost frozen.

There are about 124,000 thermosyphons arrayed along the path of the
pipeline—a nod from its engineers to the importance of keeping the
ground below it frozen. The tubes are bored from 15 to 70 feet into the
permafrost in areas where warming might cause it to thaw. But those
chillers only cool the permafrost directly below the pipeline, which
holds the supports. As the wider slope of permafrost surrounding the
pipeline has warmed, the new thermosyphon project was required to keep
it from collapsing or sliding and damaging the supports...
- -
Permafrost is ground that has remained completely frozen for at least
two years straight and is found beneath nearly 85 percent of Alaska.
Some permafrost, which is composed of a combination of soil, rocks and
sand that are held together by ice, has been frozen for thousands of years.

But, in the last few decades, permafrost temperatures in Alaska have
warmed as much as 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit, and the state’s average
temperature is projected to increase by 2 to 4 degrees more by the
middle of the century. A study published in the journal Nature Climate
Change projects that with every 2 degree increase in temperature, 1.5
million square miles of permafrost could be lost to thawing. ...
- -
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/11072021/thawing-permafrost-trans-alaska-pipeline/

[Heroic climate warrior in the Information war]
*Why Trust Science?*
by Naomi Oreskes
July 11th 2021
There is now broad agreement among historians, philosophers,
sociologists, and anthropologists of science that there is no (singular)
scientific method, and that scientific practice consists of communities
of people, making decisions for reasons that are both empirical and
social, using diverse methods. But this leaves us with the question: If
scientists are just people doing work, like plumbers or nurses or
electricians, and if our scientific theories are fallible and subject to
change, then what is the basis for trust in science?

I suggest that our answer should be two-fold: 1) its sustained
engagement with the world and 2) its social character.

The first point is crucial but easily overlooked: Natural scientists
study the natural world. Social scientists study the social world. That
is what they do. Consider a related question: Why trust a plumber? Or an
electrician? Or a dentist or a nurse? One answer is that we trust a
plumber to do our plumbing because she is trained and licensed to do
plumbing. We would not trust a plumber to do our nursing, nor a nurse to
do our plumbing. Of course, plumbers can make mistakes, and so we get
recommendations from friends to ensure that any particular plumber has a
good track record. A plumber with a bad track record may find herself
out of business. But it is in the nature of expertise that we trust
experts to do jobs for which they are trained and we are not. Without
this trust in experts, society would come to a standstill. Scientists
are our designated experts for studying the world. Therefore, to the
extent that we should trust anyone to tell us about the world, we should
trust scientists.

This is not the same as faith: We do (or should) check the references of
our plumbers and we should do the same for our scientists. If a
scientist has a track record of error, underestimation, or exaggeration,
this might be grounds for viewing his or her claims skeptically (or at
least judging their results with this information in mind.) If a
scientist is receiving financial support -- directly or indirectly --
from an interested party, this may be grounds for applying a higher
level of scrutiny than we might otherwise demand. (For example, an
editor might send the paper for additional review, or a reviewer might
pay extra attention to study design, where subconscious bias may slip in.)

No doubt individual scientists, like individual plumbers, may be stupid,
venal, corrupt, or incompetent. But consider this: the profession of
plumbing exists because in general plumbers do a job we need them to do,
and in general they do it successfully. When we evaluate the track
record of science, we find a substantial record of success -- in
explanation, in prediction, in providing the basis for successful action
and innovation. We have a world of medicines, technologies, and
conceptual understandings derived from science that have enabled people
to do things they have wanted to do.

This consideration -- that scientists are in our society the experts who
study the world -- is a reminder to scientists of the importance of
foregrounding the empirical character of their work -- their engagement
with nature and society and the empirical basis it provides for their
conclusions. As I have stressed elsewhere, scientists need to explain
not just what they know, but how they know it. Expertise as a concept
also carries with it the embedded idea of specialization, and therefore
the limits to expertise, reminding us why it is important for scientists
to exercise restraint with respect to subjects on which they lack expertise.

However, reliance on empirical evidence alone is insufficient for
understanding the basis of scientific conclusions and therefore
insufficient for establishing trust in science. We must also take to
heart -- and explain -- the social character of science and the role it
plays in vetting claims. Here it is worth reiterating my point that
scientists who were offended by the “social” turn in science studies got
it wrong: much of what we identify as “science” are social practices and
procedures of adjudication designed to ensure -- or at least to attempt
to increase the odds -- that the process of review and correction are
sufficiently robust as to lead to empirically reliable results.

Peer review is one example of such a practice: it is through peer review
that scientific claims are subjected to critical interrogation. (This is
why, in my own work, I have stressed the importance of evaluating
scientific consensus through analysis of the peer-reviewed literature
and not the popular press or social media, and why my book was subject
to peer review.) This includes not only the formal review that papers go
through when submitted to academic journals, but also the informal
processes of judgment and evaluation that research findings undergo when
scientists discuss their preliminary results in conferences and workshop
and solicit comments from colleagues prior to submitting them for
publication, as well as the continued process of evaluation that
published claims endure as fellow scientists attempt to use and build on
those claims.

Tenure is another example: we evaluate scholars’ work in order to judge
whether they are worthy of joining the community of scholars in their
fields, in effect to be certified as experts. Tenure is effectively the
academic version of licensing. The crucial element of these practices is
their social and institutional character, which work to ensure that the
judgments and opinions of no one person dominate and therefore that the
value preferences and biases of no one person are controlling. Of
course, within any community there will be dominant groups and
individuals, but the social processes of collective interrogation offer
a means for the less dominant to be heard so that, to the maximum degree
possible, the conclusions arrived at are non-partisan and
non-idiosyncratic. The social character of science forms the basis of
its approach to objectivity and therefore the grounds on which we may
trust it.

In recent years, this insight has been implicitly incorporated into
scientific practices, particularly in just those domains where
scientific claims are likely to be viewed as controversial. The US
National Academy of Sciences works to ensure that the panelists who
perform its reviews are diverse and represent a range of viewpoints.
Scholars have called this approach the “balancing of bias.” The
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- now one of the world’s
largest aggregations of scientists -- makes a particular point of
seeking geographical, national, racial, and gender diversity in its
chapter-writing teams. While the motivations for inclusivity may be in
part political, the widespread character of practices of inclusion
suggest that many scientific communities now recognize that diversity
serves epistemic goals.

    About Naomi Oreskes
    Naomi Oreskes is a world-renowned geologist, historian and public
    speaker. She is a leading voice on the role of science in society
    and the reality of anthropogenic climate change. Oreskes is
    Professor of the History of Science and Affiliated Professor of
    Earth and Planetary Sciences at Harvard University. She has written
    over 150 articles, essays, and opinion pieces, and authored or
    co-authored seven books, including Merchants of Doubt (Bloomsbury,
    2010). Written with Erik Conway, the book was the subject of a
    documentary film by the same name.

    Among numerous awards and prizes, Oreskes was named a Guggenheim
    Fellow in 2018 for a new book project with Erik Conway, The Magic of
    the Marketplace: The True History of a False Idea, which will be
    published by Bloomsbury Press upon completion.

https://worldwarzero.com/magazine/2021/07/why-trust-science-naomi-oreskes/

[Great old philosopher speaks ]
*A Conversation with Noam Chomsky*
Jul 8, 2021
Facing Future
Stuart Scott and #NoamChomsky discuss their views about death and the
afterlife, as well as the critical need for activism to produce change.
Co-hosted by Dale Walkonen, FacingFuture is honored to present Professor
Chomsky’s ideas about politics, economics, OPEC, nuclear proliferation,
and disinformation, all of which have moved the hands of the
#DoomsdayClock to 100 seconds before midnight.

He fears that if climate deniers hold the reins of power, the clock may
well reach midnight. But
Noam finds hope in young activists like Greta Thunberg, Alexandria
Ocasio-Cortez, and in the #SunriseMovement. He notes that the New Deal
happened because there was overwhelming public pressure on FDR to act
decisively. The #GreenNewDeal will require no less effort. Stuart
advocates going to the offices of our leaders to demand action.
Noam tells us that although we’re living in a world of total illusion
and fantasy, we have to dedicate ourselves with energy and commitment to
using the opportunities that we have. Then, there is a chance that we
will survive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8gXe6fejew

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming July 12, 2013*

July 12, 2013: USA Today reports:

"U.S. energy supplies will likely face more severe disruptions because
of climate change and extreme weather, which have already caused
blackouts and lowered production at power plants, a government report
warned Thursday.

"What's driving these vulnerabilities? Rising temperatures, up 1.5
degrees Fahrenheit in the last century, and the resulting sea level
rise, which are accompanied by drought, heat waves, storms and
wildfires, according to the U.S. Department of Energy."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/11/climate-change-energy-disruptions/2508789/

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry