[✔️] July 11, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Jul 11 08:58:48 EDT 2021

/*July 11, 2021*/

[Easy to build a custom smoke report]
*Forecast for vertically integrated wildfire smoke*
https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/#

[sections of the draft report read aloud in video]
*Devastating climate future from leaked IPCC report*
Jul 9, 2021
Peter Carter
The completed parts ongoing 6th IPCC assessment were leaked to the
French media. This is a compilation from all the media reports of it. A
globally disastrous degraded world is now unavoidable and coming soon
with 1.5C at 2030. Multiple impacts to food production will cause crop
declines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WafnqhmJDPg

- -

[opinion on the IPCC report]
*Greta Thunberg Gets Brutally Honest About Climate Leak*
Jun 27, 2021
The Damage Report
Greta Thunberg is brutally honest about the IPCC leak. John Iadarola and
Dan Evans break it down on The Damage Report.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP8kXESywwU

[Worker protection]
*Washington state is latest to pass heat rules for workers*
Associated Press --  July 9th 2021
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — Washington state on Friday became the second state
in the Pacific Northwest in as many days to announce emergency rules
that provide farmworkers and others who work outdoors more protection
from hot weather in the wake of an extreme heat wave that is believed to
have killed hundreds of people.

The announcement comes a day after Oregon approved what advocates call
the nation's most protective emergency heat rules for workers and as
temperatures are spiking again this week in parts of the U.S. West,
though not as severely as the end of June. The heat is making it
difficult to fight wildfires in parts of a region struggling with a
historic drought tied to climate change.

"The heat experienced in our state this year has reached catastrophic
levels," Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said. "The physical risk to
individuals is significant, in particular those whose occupations have
them outdoors all day."

Washington's new rules take effect Tuesday and update existing mandates
that are in place from May through September, when the state's
multibillion-dollar agricultural industry relies on tens of thousands of
farmworkers to tend and harvest crops such as apples, cherries, hops and
asparagus...
- -
At 80 F (27 C) or above, employers must provide sufficient shade and an
adequate supply of drinking water.

Agricultural-rich California adopted the nation's first rules requiring
shade and water for farmworkers in 2005 following 10 heat-related deaths
— four of them farmworkers — in a two-month period.

The regulations have since been beefed up, requiring employers to
provide shade when temperatures rise above 80 F (27 C) and 15-minute
breaks in the shade each hour when temperatures rise higher. Employers
also must provide cool drinking water in easily accessible locations,
toilets and hand-washing facilities. When it's hot, many work in the
middle of the night.
https://komonews.com/news/local/washington-state-is-latest-to-pass-heat-rules-for-workers

[Good question]
*In California’s interior, there’s no escape from the desperate heat:
‘Why are we even here?’*
Maanvi Singh - - 10 Jul 2021
In Cantua, a small town deep within California’s farming heartland, the
heat had always been a part of life. “We can do nothing against it,”
said Julia Mendoza, who’s lived in this town for 27 years. But lately,
she says, the searing temperatures are almost unlivable.

By midday on Thursday, the first day of a protracted, extreme heatwave
in California’s Central Valley, the country roads were sizzling with
heat. A young volunteer with a local environmental justice non-profit
who had come to check in on the neighborhood collapsed on the sidewalk,
her face bright red and damp. Construction crews working nearby quickly
swept her into an air-conditioned car and handed her a cold bottle of water.

“¡Mira, el calor!” gasped Mendoza as she rushed over from her front
porch. Arcelia Luna, her friend and neighbor shook her head as she
poured a bottle of refrigerated water over the head and body of the
two-year-old boy she was watching...

Much of California is suffering through record-breaking temperatures,
just two weeks after a deadly heat dome blistered the Pacific
north-west. Across the west, 28 million Americans will have endured
triple-digit heat this week. While coastal regions, including the Bay
Area, will have been spared by cool marine air, California’s Central
Valley – the state’s sprawling, agricultural innards – will have broiled.

The National Weather Service issued an “excessive heat warning” for the
Central Valley from Thursday through Monday. And by mid-morning on
Thursday, asphalt- and concrete-paved Fresno began shimmering with heat.
There was no breeze to rustle the rows and rows of almond and pistachio
trees that radiated for miles and miles out of the city. The occasional
irrigation canal melded into the heat mirage that radiated off the
country roads.

Global heating is driving stronger, longer heatwaves in the region, said
Jose Pablo Ortiz Partida, a climate scientist for the Union of Concerned
Scientists, a non-profit advocacy group...

Researchers have been warning of such extreme heatwaves for decades, he
said, but the barrage of heat surges that California and the western US
have been alarming, he said. Temperature records are being broken
earlier than expected or predicted...

“We are breaking temperature records this summer. And are going to keep
breaking temperature records, as long as we keep burning fossil fuels,”
said Ortiz, who lives in the valley. “It’s infuriating, it’s tiring and
it’s emotionally draining to see.”

The vicious cycle of the climate crisis has merged with a vicious cycle
of inequity in the region. Racial disparities in access to shade and air
conditioning are increasingly becoming dangerous, even deadly.

Here, changing weather patterns have wrought not only periods of extreme
heat, but also an extended drought – two phenomena that feed into each
other. The heat has caused water reserves to evaporate too quickly,
drying out the reservoirs that feed the region’s $50bn agricultural
industry. With scarcely any moisture left in the ground, the desiccated
landscape heats up like a hot plate, amplifying the scorching ambient
temperatures.

On hot weeks like this one, Mendoza and a group of other women who live
in the area gather on her front porch, seated in a circle on folding
chairs under a nylon tent. The group has been campaigning to build an
air-conditioned community center or a small park with trees where people
can go to stay cool during what have become increasingly frequent bouts
of extreme heat.

In Cantua Creek, and throughout the valley, the over-pumping of
groundwater has led to a concentrating of nitrates from pesticides,
fertilizer and dairy waste runoff from farms and naturally occurring
arsenic. Mendoza and her neighbors aren’t able to drink the water from
their taps, so trucks lug jugs of potable water to them each day. “We
don’t want anything big, you know,” Mendoza said. “Just somewhere to
stay cool. And clean water.

“On days like this,” she added, “I just want to be able to shower in
tranquility.”

Hotter, drier conditions also mean harder, and less work for the
region’s hundreds of thousands of farm workers. This week, Jesús Zúñiga
has been up at 3am, to get to the fields by 5am. “I pick tomatoes –
which is one of the toughest jobs out here,” he said, showing off the
thick calluses that have developed on his hands. For hours each day, the
harsh valley sun bears down on his back as he hunches over the tomato
vines. Once he’s collected 50 pounds of fruit, he sprints down the neat,
irrigated rows, to dump buckets full of the fruit on to trucks. His
harvest ends up in grocery stores as well as fast food restaurant chains.

On several days this week, temperatures reached dangerous highs by 10am.
“So on these hot days we’re only able to work five or six hours, before
we’d start to get sick,” he said. “But then, we only get paid for five
or six hours.” At $14 an hour that isn’t enough to pay his rent and
soaring electricity bills, or to support his family of five...

“By the end of the shift we are wet. Everything is wet with sweat.
Sometimes my head starts to hurt, and I get dizzy,” he said. “That is
when I start to have doubts, so many doubts: why are we even here?”

Farm workers die of heat at roughly 20 times the national rate,
according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But as the
climate crisis triggers longer, hotter heatwaves, the risks for
agricultural workers will rise, said Michelle Tigchelaar, a researcher
at Stanford University. Based on climate models projecting a global
temperature increase of 2F (1C) by 2050, Tigchelaar discovered that
agricultural workers who currently labor through an average of 21
dangerously hot days a year will see that number nearly double over the
next few decades.

In some parts of the Central Valley, the heat index through most of the
summer will surpass what even healthy, young and well-hydrated workers
could safely handle, according to the study, published last year. “These
are the hidden costs of keeping our supermarkets and shops
well-stocked,” she said.

In Fresno, the wide sidewalks were eerily empty by late afternoon. The
500,000 people who live here had all retreated to air-conditioned homes,
malls or public libraries. At the Community Regional medical center in
downtown Fresno, Dr René Ramirez said he’d already seen a few patients
coping with severe sunburns, heat exhaustion and other heat-related
illnesses in the emergency department that day. Many of his patients
don’t have insurance, and many suffer from underlying health issues
including heart disease, high blood pressure and, in a region with some
of the worst air pollution in the country, asthma. All of those
conditions make it harder for people to cope with extreme heat, even
those who are acclimatized to high temperatures.

“From my perspective, everybody should be entitled to access cooling,
whether that’s at home or at community centers,” he said “I think that
is something that’s an inherent right.”

Nora Madden, 65, who has been living in her car or staying at motels for
the past year, said her usual strategy to survive heatwaves is to buy a
bag of ice from the dollar store in the morning, stow it in her icebox
and chew the cubes throughout the day.

But on Thursday afternoon it had become too hot to sit in her car, so
she headed over to a community cooling center downtown. The city opens
these centers when temperatures are forecasted to reach 105F (41C), or
higher. “But what about when it’s 103F, or 100F?” Madden said. The
stark, unshaded rows of concrete that make up some of Fresno’s poorest
neighborhoods are unforgiving heat islands. “Do we have to die at 103?”
she said.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/10/california-central-valley-extreme-heat-race

[June interview hour video]
*Noam Chomsky | 2021 | Oxford | Interview*
Jul 5, 2021
Investing Rationally
2021 | Noam Chomsky at The University of Oxford.
from:
Noam Chomsky on global challenges (June 10, 2021):
https://youtu.be/XZthEbT2DBw
Noam Chomsky biographical interview (June 4, 2021):
https://youtu.be/VVm1PdEQlFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpQ2zi6gd_w

[Climate Psychologist in video book talk]
*Sally Weintrobe | Climate Breakdown Shakedown - Climate Grief |
Extinction Rebellion UK*
Jul 10, 2021
Extinction Rebellion
Sally Weintrobe speaks to XR Greenwich on the topic of Climate Grief.

“Most of us have been living in a bubble of disavowal about global
heating”, Sally Weintrobe writes. “We were aware it was happening, but
we minimized its impacts. What might people be feeling as they emerge
from the climate bubble?”

No-one is better qualified to discuss these questions than Sally, a
founder member of the Climate Psychology Alliance and chair of the
International Psychoanalytic Association's Climate Committee, whose new
book, Psychological Roots of the Climate Crisis: Neoliberal
Exceptionalism and the Culture of Uncare, has just been published.

https://www.sallyweintrobe.com/noahs-...

"Climate Breakdown Shakedown" is an ongoing series of talks from guest
experts on a variety of topics relating to the climate and ecological
emergency.

For more please visit: https://xrb.link/u8my4r9bj2 for previous sessions
or https://xrgreenwich.com/climate-break... for upcoming talks.

Help XR mobilise and donate: https://extinctionrebellion.uk/donate/

Extinction Rebellion UK: https://extinctionrebellion.uk/
International: https://rebellion.global/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/XRebellionUK/

1. Tell The Truth
2. Act Now
3. Beyond Politics

World Map of Extinction Rebellion Groups:
https://rebellion.global/branches/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htf30nQMaQY

[disinformation warfare]
*Fox News’ planned 24-hour weather channel has climate experts worried*
Climate crisis researchers worry about the channel’s reach to perpetuate
misinformation and advance political goals
Adam Gabbatt -  10 Jul 2021

Fox News Media, the company that owns the reactionary, climate
crisis-skeptical Fox News, is launching a weather channel this year – a
development that has climate crisis experts worried.

Fox Weather, a 24-hour channel devoted to all things meteorological,
promises “cutting-edge display technology”, according to a press
release, with “forecasting experts surrounding every major weather event”.

But it is Fox News’ output, and the potential for Fox Weather to adopt a
similar tone to its sister channel, that has onlookers concerned. Hosts
on Fox News have spent years rubbishing or undermining the idea of
manmade climate breakdown, and the fact that two Fox News-linked
executives are behind the weather channel launch doesn’t bode well.

“Fox News has access to and is highly trusted by a wide range of
conservative Americans – which is precisely the audience that least well
understands the serious threats that climate change poses to the safety,
security and health of all Americans,” said Edward Maibach, director of
George Mason University’s Center for Climate Change Communication.

“If Fox chooses to use its access and credibility to inform viewers
about the realities of climate change and its impacts on the weather, it
could be a game changer. Conversely, if it opts to perpetuate
misinformation to advance political goals, it will be a huge disservice
to all Americans – conservative, liberal and moderate,” Maibach said.

Last year, Tucker Carlson rubbished the idea that forest fires on the
west coast were a result of climate crisis – serious climate scientists,
however, agree that the fires are very much linked to the breakdown –
and suggested environmental hazards were a liberal conspiracy.

Carlson’s colleague Laura Ingraham has insisted, contrary to experts’
findings, that the planet is in a “natural” cycle of warming, and
suggested that environmental activists like Greta Thunberg had been
“brainwashed”, while Sean Hannity said the left’s “obsession” with the
climate was a “political tool”.

“The danger of [Fox News Media] running a weather channel is that if
they pervert news about the weather anything like how they’ve perverted
news about climate change and energy politics, millions of Americans
will be further misled about this crisis,” said Geoffrey Supran,
research fellow at Harvard University’s department of the history of
science.

“It’s been shown that the most important predictors of public support
for climate action are understanding that this crisis is real,
human-caused, serious and solvable,” Supran said.

“If, as I and I’m sure others fear, [Fox News Media’s] weather channel
downplays the links between global warming and extreme weather, it will
only solidify their viewers’ existing biases against climate action.”

The tenor of Fox News hosts’ commentary matches with data from Public
Citizen, a non-profit thinktank. In 2019, Public Citizen found that in
the first half of the year Fox News devoted 247 segments to climate
crisis. Of those, “212 (86%) were dismissive of the climate crisis, cast
warming and its consequences in doubt or employed fearmongering when
discussing climate solutions”, Public Citizen reported.

“Fox News has been a powerful engine of climate misinformation for years
– so powerful, in fact, that its influence has been named the ‘Fox News
Effect’,” Maibach said.

“One of our studies, for example, showed that before Fox News began its
attack on the Green New Deal, most conservatives supported its core
policy proposals. Six months later – after Fox had relentlessly attacked
it and its sponsors – support for those proposals dropped to near zero
among frequent Fox viewers.”

Fox Weather has already poached meteorologists from around the country,
according to the New York Times, including the Weather Channel’s “senior
weather product architect” Shane Brown. The channel, based in New York
City, will be advertiser-funded, and stream 24 hours a day.

Sharri Berg, formerly the executive vice-president of news operations
for the Fox News channel, will oversee Fox Weather, along with Suzanne
Scott, CEO of Fox News Media. In announcing the channel last year, Berg
said “weather is a vital component to news”.

“Combining our trusted reporters and expert meteorologists from Fox News
and [Fox Television stations] nationwide, the Fox Weather products will
be built to serve our audiences in a customized fashion,” Berg said.

In a statement, a Fox Weather spokesperson said:

“With a dedicated team of leading meteorologists and experts stationed
across the country, Fox Weather will provide in-depth reporting
surrounding all weather conditions and we are excited to showcase to
viewers what a full-service comprehensive weather platform can deliver
beginning this fall.”

If Fox Weather does not interfere with the weather information its new
staff is putting out, then Maibach said there is hope – for the weather
channel at least.

“I don’t expect that Fox News will change its ways or its views about
climate change anytime soon, but Fox Weather has the opportunity to get
the facts right. Let’s hope it chooses to,” Maibach said.

Viewers will have to wait and see what approach Fox Weather takes, but
in the meantime, there is serious concern given the damage the American
right has already done to efforts to mitigate the climate crisis.

“We’ve already seen the ways in which 40 years of disinformation in the
United States has stifled both climate action and the narrative around
climate,” said Lily Gardner, a community organizer with the Sunrise
Movement, a youth-led organization which aims to stop climate crisis.

“Nancy Pelosi [the Democratic House speaker] and Newt Gingrich [a
Republican former House speaker] went from releasing an ad together in
2007 that indicated that they were interested in working on climate
policy, to climate becoming a deeply partisan issue in which the facts
are debated as opposed to the solutions.”
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jul/10/fox-news-weather-channel-climate-crisis

[Opinion Manipulation watch]
[If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the
newspaper, you're mis-informed.
Mark Twain]
*If You Don't Trust The Media: WATCH THIS!!!*
Jul 10, 2021
Russell Brand
The United States ranks last among 46 countries when it comes to public
trust in the media. Is this surprising when, as Glenn Greenwald
revealed, a court recently ruled during a defamation case that “Rachel
Maddow's viewers know she offers exaggeration and opinion, not facts”.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLa5zAsj6V0

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming July 11, 1990*

The Los Angeles Times observes that President George H. W. Bush seems to
have dissociative identity disorder when it comes to climate:

    "The tension is often explained as a dispute between Bush's
    strong-willed chief of staff, John H. Sununu, who is deeply
    suspicious of environmentalists, and his Environmental Protection
    Agency chief, William K. Reilly.

    "That explanation, however, is an inaccurate characterization,
    Administration officials say. Although Reilly has advocated a
    stronger environmental policy, he has neither the clout nor the
    access to Bush to challenge Sununu, the officials say. In fact,
    Reilly has been conspicuous by his absence from the economic summit,
    virtually the only senior Administration official with an interest
    in the summit issues whom Bush left in Washington.

    "Instead, the disputes within the Administration reflect Bush's own
    ambivalence about the issues. Throughout his Administration, he has
    been pulled in opposite directions on the environment, tugged
    between his desire to placate environmentally-conscious voters on
    the one side and his instinct to protect business people from
    government regulation on the other."

*The Times also notes:*
"Bush's top aides are unanimous in believing that the scientific
evidence is shaky on all aspects of global warming--the problem's
dimensions, its potential effects and its causes."
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-07-11/news/mn-224_1_global-warming-issue

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry