[✔️] July 10, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jul 10 12:31:54 EDT 2021

/*July 10, 2021*/

[“This is the hottest summer of my life,” Bart Simpson says in a meme
that’s been making the rounds. Homer’s response: “This is the coldest
summer of the rest of your life.”] *
*

*Death Valley soars to 130 degrees, matching Earth’s highest temperature
in at least 90 years*
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/07/09/death-valley-record-high-temperature/

[See the conditions]
*Death Valley National Park*
https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/furnace-creek-campground.htm

[Activism]
*On climate policy, there's one main thing and then there's everything else*
Clean electrification is the entrée; everything else is a side.
- -
How can the US hit net-zero emissions by or before 2050, a goal shared
by almost every Democrat and, at least rhetorically, by some Republicans?

The key is to immediately begin reducing emissions and maintain a rapid
pace of reduction for the coming three decades. That is the only way we
have a shot. If we wait another decade to start rapid reductions, the
curve will simply be too steep. It has to start now.

So we can think of the work in two parts. Job One is to rapidly push
fossil fuels out of the system using technologies and strategies that we
have on hand, such that we reduce carbon emissions by around 50 percent
by 2030. Job Two is to research and develop the technologies and
strategies we will need to continue rapidly reducing emissions from 2030
onward, such that we hit net-zero on or before 2050.

Job Two is important. But Job One is the main thing. Job One is the
entrée. Without it, you don’t have a meal.

What does Job One consist of? This is important: while different climate
models disagree about which policies and technologies will be needed to
clean up remaining emissions after 2030, virtually all of them agree on
what’s needed over the next decade. It’s clean electrification:  clean
up the electricity grid by replacing fossil fuel power plants with
renewable energy, batteries, and other zero-carbon resources; clean up
transportation by replacing gasoline and diesel vehicles — passenger
vehicles, delivery trucks and vans, semi-trucks, small planes,
agricultural and mining equipment, etc. — with electric vehicles; and
clean up buildings by replacing furnaces and other appliances that run
on fossil fuels with electric equivalents.

Or as I summarize it: electrify everything!

Clean electrification is the entrée...
- -
Clean electrification is the entrée. If you decarbonize electricity,
transportation, and buildings, you’ve taken out the three biggest
sources of emissions in virtually every country. The technologies and
policies we need to do it exist today, ready to deploy...
https://www.volts.wtf/p/on-climate-policy-theres-one-main

[Information battleground]
*What the Exxon Tapes Reveal About the American Petroleum Institute’s
Lobbying Tactics on Oil Trains*
The top oil trade group, which a senior Exxon lobbyist recently
described as one of the company’s “whipping boys,” used similar delay
tactics to push back against oil-by-rail safety rules.
What the Exxon Tapes Reveal About the American Petroleum Institute’s
Lobbying Tactics on Oil Trains
Justin Mikulkaon - - Jul 9, 2021
Senior ExxonMobil lobbyists were recently exposed by undercover
reporting from UnEarthed, an investigative journalism project of
Greenpeace, which captured footage of the employees explaining how the
oil giant influences policy makers using trade associations like the
American Petroleum Institute (API).

The undercover footage revealed Exxon lobbyists boasting about wins for
the company under the Trump administration and admitting to continued
efforts to sow doubt about climate change and undermine action to tackle
the crisis.

The recordings also confirmed the findings of years of DeSmog research
on API’s lobbying tactics. “Did we aggressively fight against some of
the science? Yes. Did we hide our science? Absolutely not,” Keith McCoy,
a senior director in ExxonMobil’s Washington, D.C. government affairs
team, told the undercover reporter Lawrence Carter. “Did we join some of
these ‘shadow groups’ to work against some of the early efforts? Yes,
that’s true. But there’s nothing illegal about that. You know, we were
looking out for our investments; we were looking out for our
shareholders.”...
- -
After years of covering the regulatory process governing oil trains, one
fact stood out: API was almost always leading the process. Even though
the process was supposed to be about improving rail safety, the oil
industry played the dominant role. Exxon representatives were rarely
seen in the many public Congressional or regulatory agency hearings and
did not take a public role in fighting the regulations. However, as
DeSmog reported, Exxon was meeting in private with federal regulators
and arguing against stronger regulations on oil trains...
- -
Much of my book Bomb Trains: How Industry Greed and Regulatory Failure
Put the Public at Risk highlights how API successfully uses “The Hill” —
i.e. Congress —  to stop regulation and describes the central role the
organization plays, as noted in this passage in which National
Transportation Safety Board Chair Deborah Hersman asks API
representative Lee Johnson when safer rail tank cars could be expected:

In Congressional hearings, at rail industry conferences, and in funding
supposedly independent studies of the issue, it was always API dictating
what happened on “The Hill.”

As revealed by UnEarthed, Exxon lobbyist McCoy spelled out how it works
in the recently released recordings:

“So you start to build out a coalition of associations. Now, companies
feed into that privately where we have meetings, but the public face of
it are the associations: they go to the Hill, they have these
conversations.”

Exxon was rarely mentioned in the oil-by-rail regulatory process even
though API was omnipresent. However, as McCoy noted, Exxon is directing
API. On the tapes, he described how it worked, saying, “And so the API
staff person who worked on that issue, We’d say, you know, ‘Hey Tom, you
need to go to The Hill and you need to have a conversation with the
committee.’”

This is similar to what Scott Sheffield, CEO of U.S. oil company Pioneer
Resources, said in 2020 when he told CNBC that it was Exxon leading
discussions on a possible industry bailout and that Exxon “controls the
API.”
- -
In 2016, Suzanne Lemieux, a representative of the American Petroleum
Institute, spoke at an energy-by-rail conference. She argued against the
idea that the volatile oil being transported by rail needed to be
regulated in a presentation titled, “Crude Oil Volatility: Myth vs. Fact.”

Her message was quite clear.

“I would say that all of these conversations about [how] Bakken is
inherently more dangerous, it’s more volatile, etcetera, etcetera, those
things from a chemical properties perspective just aren’t true. And so
we in the oil and gas industry see this as a very dangerous conversation.”

Forty seven people died because of the oil industry’s dangerous product.
However, API took the position that even discussing how to avoid a
repeat of the oil train explosion at Lac-Megantic was too dangerous of a
conversation to have.

And it worked.

DeSmog contacted Exxon and the American Petroleum Institute inquiring if
the two coordinated efforts to influence oil-by-rail regulations.

“As a member-driven organization, we collaborate across our membership
on a wide range of policy issues, from advancing smart and effective
regulations and strong standards for rail safety to advocating for
lower-carbon solutions to tackle climate change,” said API spokeswoman
Bethany Aronhalt via email.  “We also continue to advocate for
modernized pipeline infrastructure, which is the safest most efficient
way to deliver the energy Americans rely on every single day.”

Exxon did not respond other than to ask for specific questions, which
were provided, but not answered.

For much greater detail on how the oil-by-rail regulatory process
unfolded, read Chapter 4, “Follow the Money,” of my book Bomb Trains,
which dives into API’s role in the process.
https://www.desmog.com/2021/07/09/exxon-tapes-american-petroleum-institutes-lobbying-oil-trains/
- -
[Chapter 4 of Follow the Money - download]
https://www.desmog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Chapter-4-Follow-The-Money.pdf

[Media as information battleground]
*A Fox News Climate Disinformation Channel Is the Last Thing We Need*
The media giant is launching a 24-hour weather news channel.
CHRIS D’ANGELO - July 9, 2021
Americans have a big appetite for news about the weather, and climate
change is making weather events more frequent and extreme. Now, Rupert
Murdoch’s Fox Corporation, a media empire with a long history of
peddling climate disinformation, is entering the world of 24-hour
weather coverage.

The billionaire media mogul plans to launch Fox Weather later this year,
with the intent that it will rival the popular Weather Channel. It has
been poaching meteorologists from other networks, The New York Times
reported this week.

Scientists and watchdog groups are understandably wary of the new
venture, anticipating that the network’s weather arm will prove just as
skewed, politicized, and detached from reality as its cable news
programming. Fox News commentators and their guests are constantly
downplaying and denying the global threat of climate change, even amid
historic and deadly heat waves, wildfires, hurricanes, and drought...
- -
Just this week Milloy, a Fox contributor and former member of the Trump
administration’s Environmental Protection Agency transition team,
appeared on Ingraham’s show to discuss the ”war on air conditioning” and
bemoan smart electric meters and electric vehicles.

“Left uses climate change to control our lives,” read a chyron during
the segment.

The new weather channel will be independent of Fox’s other networks, and
a spokesperson told the Times that its “dedicated team of leading
meteorologists and experts” will offer “in-depth reporting surrounding
all weather conditions.”

John Morales, a meteorologist for NBC in Miami, is not as concerned
about the channel’s unique potential for climate denial.

“Fox News weathercasters are reputable and some, like Maria Molina, have
gone on to accomplished careers in atmospheric research,” he told
HuffPost. “As science communicators, broadcast meteorologists should
seek not just to deliver weather forecasts and warnings but to educate
their audiences about our changing climate. Whether a Fox weather
network would frown on that is yet to be seen. If so, they wouldn’t be
the first news outlet failing to adequately cover the climate crisis.
There is huge room for improvement across the cable and broadcast news
spectrum.”

The links between human-induced climate change and extreme weather are
undeniably clear. A study published Wednesday, for example, concluded
that last week’s grueling and deadly heat wave across the Pacific
Northwest and Canada would have been “virtually impossible” without
climate change.

Ignoring, downplaying, or brushing off such connections would be a
dangerous disservice—and come at a time when the nation and planet can
least afford more disinformation and delay.

“We know that communication is effective when it consists of simple,
clear messages repeated often by trusted sources. Fox News is nothing if
they’re not good at that,” Hassol said. “Surveys find that Republicans
trust Fox News more than any other major news network. We know we have a
partisan gap on climate change, and this stands to only make that worse.”
https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2021/07/a-fox-news-climate-disinformation-channel-is-the-last-thing-we-need/

[Why?]
*Why are tornadoes spawned from hurricanes particularly dangerous?*
Tags: Tropical Storm Elsa, hurricanes, tropical storm
Posted July 7, 2021
By Elizabeth Gardner, WRAL meteorologist

Storms that move into North Carolina after a Gulf of Mexico or Florida
panhandle landfall have the potential to be particularly devastating.

Wind damage and flooding aren’t the only threats from hurricanes. More
than half of hurricanes also produce at least one tornado after making
landfall. In 2020, Hurricane Isaias spawned 12 tornadoes in North
Carolina. The strongest was an EF-3 in Bertie County that killed two people.

Sometimes, the United States sees 10% of its annual tornadoes in just
one tropical system.

How do hurricanes and tropical storms spawn tornadoes?
When a hurricane’s outer rain bands move onshore, the friction from the
land causes low-level winds to slow down – but the winds just above the
ground remain quite strong. This effect is called a "wind shear." It
causes a change in the wind speed – and sometimes direction.

When wind shear occurs, thunderstorms will begin to rotate, and
tornadoes can form.

Keep in mind, sometimes the outer rain bands are hundreds of miles away
from the center of the storm, so tornadoes are possible even when the
center of circulation is well offshore.

Why are tropical systems from the Gulf of Mexico particularly dangerous?
Storms that form in the Gulf of Mexico can bring tornadoes to North
Carolina. As the system moves northeast, areas east of the circulation
have a threat for tornadoes.

Tornadoes within tropical systems are particularly dangerous because
they tend to form really fast – sometimes in only one or two minutes.

They also move at a rapid pace – as quickly as 50 to 60mph!

However, they are usually short-lived, often just lasting a couple of
minutes.

The fast development and movement make them fairly hard to track on
radar, so any time there is a tropical system nearby, be sure to prepare
for tornadoes, too.
https://www.wral.com/why-are-tornadoes-spawned-from-hurricanes-particularly-dangerous/19761465/

[DW 9 min video report]
*'Records can be broken by several degrees' - What’s behind the record
shattering heat waves?*
Jul 8, 2021
DW News
Climate scientists have used models to confirm that burning fossil fuels
made the extreme heat wave in parts of the US and Canada hotter and more
likely.

When a heat wave began to scorch Canada and the US in late June —
killing elderly people alone in their homes and fueling wildfires that
wiped out an entire village — scientists said burning fossil fuels had
changed the climate enough to make the temperature extremes worse.
Global warming made the hottest day of the North American heat wave 150
times more likely and 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 Fahrenheit) hotter,
according to a rapid attribution study released Thursday by an
international team of 27 scientists from the World Weather Attribution
initiative (WWA). Temperatures broke records in Oregon and Washington,
in the US, and in British Columbia, in Canada. They reached a high of
49.6 C (121 F) that researchers say would have been "virtually
impossible" without climate change.

The study, which has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal,
is the latest example of scientists using models to swiftly assess the
role of greenhouse gas emissions in exacerbating extreme weather. Its
findings dispel a myth prevalent in rich countries that climate change
only hurts people far away from them or in the distant future. "We are
entering uncharted territory," said study co-author Sonia Seneviratne,
from the Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Science at ETH Zurich in
Switzerland. "Much higher temperature records will be reached if we
don't manage to stop greenhouse gas emissions and halt global warming."
Previous heat records were "pulverized" by such large margins that
"something else must be going on," said Stefan Rahmstorf, head of Earth
System Analysis at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in
Germany, who was not involved in the study. "The study is valid and
state of the art."

Climate change has made heat waves hotter, longer and more common. By
burning fossil fuels — which release gases that trap the sun's heat like
a greenhouse — humans have warmed the planet by about 1.1 C above
preindustrial levels. This raises the chance of record-breaking
temperatures.

Lytton, a village in the Canadian province of British Columbia, broke
the country's heat record on July 2 when temperatures shot almost 5 C
above the previous record of 45 C.

The next day it was destroyed by a wildfire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-ykVLQyCA

[no climate, no deal - do it before August]
*WA Gov. Jay Inslee: 'You Can’t Run From Climate Change'*
Jul 3, 2021
NowThis Earth
‘You can’t run from climate change, you have to challenge it and defeat
it’ — Washington Gov. Jay Inslee says the record-breaking Pacific
Northwest heat wave shows just how unavoidable the climate crisis really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3oKvCi-GjM

[new climate]
*Most buildings were designed for an earlier climate – here’s what will
happen as global warming accelerates*
July 2, 2021
Climate change will affect every aspect of our lives – including the
buildings we live and work in. Most people in the US, for example, spend
about 90% of their time indoors. Climate change is fundamentally
altering the environmental conditions in which these buildings are
designed to function.

Architects and engineers design buildings and other structures, like
bridges, to operate within the parameters of the local climate. They’re
built using materials and following design standards that can withstand
the range of temperatures, rainfall, snow and wind that are expected,
plus any geological issues such as earthquakes, subsidence and ground
water levels.

When any of those parameters are exceeded, chances are some aspect of
the building will fail. If there are high winds, some roof tiles may be
ripped off. If, after days of heavy rain, the water table rises, the
basement might flood. This is normal, and these problems cannot be
designed out entirely. After the event has passed, the damage can be
repaired and additional measures can reduce the risk of it happening again.

But climate change will breed conditions where these parameters are
exceeded more often and to a far greater degree. Some changes, like
higher average air temperatures and humidity, will become permanent.
What were previously considered once in a century floods may become a
regular occurrence.

Some of these impacts are fairly obvious. Houses will be more prone to
overheating, putting the lives of residents at risk, which is what has
happened during the recent “heat dome” over North America. Flooding will
happen more often and inundate greater areas, to the point that some
places might have to be abandoned. The village of Fairbourne in Wales
has already been identified as a likely candidate. Failure to act on
both of these threats in the UK was highlighted in a recent report by
the Climate Change Committee.

To some extent, these impacts will be localised and containable, with
fairly simple remedies. For example, overheating can be reduced by
shading windows with awnings or blinds, good insulation, and ample
ventilation. Perhaps more worrying are the insidious effects of climate
change which gradually undermine the core functions of a building in
less obvious ways.

*Termites and melting asphalt*
More intense wind and rain will cause external cladding to deteriorate
more rapidly and leak more often. Higher temperatures will expand the
regions where some insects can live. That includes timber-eating
termites that can cause major structural damage, or malaria-carrying
mosquitoes which living spaces must be redesigned to protect us from.

A wooden window frame being decomposed by termites.
Termite damage on a wooden window frame. Attapon Thana/Shutterstock
Materials expand as they get hotter, especially metals, which can cause
them to buckle once their designed tolerance is exceeded. For one
skyscraper in Shenzhen, China, high temperatures were partially blamed
for causing the structure to shake, forcing its evacuation, as the steel
frame stretched in the heat. Extreme temperatures can even cause
materials to melt, resulting in roads “bleeding” as the surface layer of
bitumen softens.

Subsidence – when the ground below a structure gives way, causing it to
crack or collapse – is also expected to happen more often in a warmer
world. Buildings with foundations in clay soils are particularly
vulnerable, as the soils swell when they absorb water, then harden and
shrink as they dry out. Changing rainfall patterns will exacerbate this.
Over the next 50 years, for example, more than 10% of properties in
Britain will be affected by subsidence.
*
**Concrete cancer*
Perhaps the biggest concern is how climate change will affect reinforced
concrete, one of the most widely used materials on Earth. Used in
everything from skyscrapers and bridges to the lintels above windows in
homes, reinforced concrete is made by placing steel rods within a mould
and pouring wet concrete in. Once dry, this produces incredibly strong
structures.

But a warmer wetter climate will play havoc with the durability of this
material. When the steel inside the concrete gets wet it rusts and
expands, cracking the concrete and weakening the structure in a process
sometimes referred to as “concrete cancer”.

Buildings in coastal areas are especially susceptible as the chloride in
salt water accelerates rusting. Rising sea levels will raise the water
table and make it saltier, affecting building foundations, while
salt-spray will spread further on stronger winds.

At the same time, the concrete is affected by carbonation, a process
where carbon dioxide from the air reacts with the cement to form a
different chemical element, calcium carbonate. This lowers the pH of the
concrete, making the steel even more prone to corrosion. Since the
1950s, global CO₂ levels have increased from about 300 parts per million
in the atmosphere to well over 400. More CO₂ means more carbonation.

The tragic recent collapse of an apartment building in Miami in the US
may be an early warning of this process gaining speed. While the exact
cause of the collapse is still being investigated, some are suggesting
it might be linked to climate change.

The local mayor, Charles Burkett, summed up the bewilderment many felt:

It just doesn’t happen. You don’t see buildings falling down in America.

Whether or not the link to climate change proves to be true, it is
nevertheless a wake up call to the fragility of our buildings. It should
also be seen as a clear demonstration of a critical point: wealth does
not protect against the effects of climate change. Rich nations have the
financial clout to adapt more rapidly and to mitigate these impacts, but
they can’t stop them at the border. Climate change is indiscriminate.
Buildings are vulnerable to these impacts no matter where in the world
they are, and if anything, the modern buildings of developed countries
have more things in them that can go wrong than simpler traditional
structures.

The only option is to begin adapting buildings to meet the changing
parameters in which they are operating. The sooner we begin retrofitting
existing buildings and constructing new ones that can withstand climate
change, the better.
https://theconversation.com/most-buildings-were-designed-for-an-earlier-climate-heres-what-will-happen-as-global-warming-accelerates-163672

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming July 10, 2007*
July 10, 2007: On MSNBC's "Countdown with Keith Olbermann," Air America
host Rachel Maddow points out the mainstream media's fetish for false
balance, specifically citing climate coverage.
http://youtu.be/vcMFwuu_UlA

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry