[✔️] July 30, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Jul 30 08:40:53 EDT 2021

/*July 30, 2021*/

[Flooding in China is dramatic - and hidden]
*Central China: Millions of villagers abandon homes/3 dams collapsed in
48 hours/Why severe floods ?*
Jul 28, 2021
China Insights
Recently, as heavy rains continue to fall in the province, local
governments in China have quietly opened reservoirs or dug up dikes to
release floodwater, resulting in severe flooding in many areas. The
hardest-hit areas have also moved from Zhengzhou, the capital city of
Henan Province, to its northern part.
Villagers told overseas Chinese media that the local Chinese government
opened the dams of the reservoirs to the downstream rivers, the Qihe and
Weihe rivers, to release the floodwaters.
It has resulted in the dams in the downstream city of Weihui either
breaching, collapsing, or being officially dug up, thus leading to
significant flooding in the local townships.
Why do officials insist on opening the reservoir to release water when
they know it will pose a great danger to the local people or downstream
without issuing a safety warning in advance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlEXGijThFQ

- -

[Over the years, I have seen his excellent video journalism]
*Chinese Government Scared - Flood Truth Exposed*
Jul 29, 2021
laowhy86
The flooding in Zhengzhou China is exposing something very wrong with
the Chinese government, and they are not happy about it. The coverup is
showing the cracks in the foundation of the CCP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxmKcdrpHB4

[opinion in the Guardian - I say, by 3PM this afternoon]
*How many years until we must act on climate? Zero, say these climate
thinkers*
Wed 28 Jul 2021
Jennifer Francis , Michael Mann , Holly Jean Buck and Peter Kalmus
We asked a panelist of experts on when we need to start changing our
economies and ways of consuming and producing. Their answer: now
*Peter Kalmus: ‘Zero years’*
We have zero years before climate and ecological breakdown, because it’s
already here. We have zero years left to procrastinate. The longer we
wait to act, the worse the floods, fires, droughts, famines and
heatwaves will get.

The primary cause of these catastrophes is burning fossil fuel.
Therefore, we must shut down the fossil fuel industry as quickly as we
can. Fossil fuel subsidies must end today. New fracking wells, pipelines
and other fossil fuel infrastructure can no longer be built; that we
continue on this path is collective insanity. Fossil fuel must be capped
and rationed, and diverted to necessities as we transition to a
zero-carbon civilization. If we fail, the planet will continue to heat
up, creeping past 1.5C, then 2C, then 3C of global heating as we keep
squandering precious time. With every fraction of a degree, the floods
and fires and heat will get worse. Coastal cities will be abandoned.
Ocean currents will shift. Crops will fail. Ecosystems will collapse.
Hundreds of millions will flee regions with humid heat too high for the
human body. Geopolitics will break down. No place will be safe. These
disasters are like gut punches to our civilization.

There are tipping points lurking in our future, but it’s impossible to
know when they will be triggered. What’s certain is that every day we
fail to act brings us closer. Some, like the loss of the Amazon
rainforest, may already have been passed.

Peter Kalmus is a climate scientist at Nasa’s Jet Propulsion Lab. He is
the author of Being the Change: Live Well and Spark a Climate Revolution
*Jennifer Francis: ‘We cannot wait’*
We need to immediately stop subsidizing all aspects of the fossil fuel
industry. According to this report, the fossil fuel industry received
$66bn in 2016, while renewables (excluding nuclear) only received
$9.5bn. We should instead use those billions of subsidy dollars to ramp
up the renewable energy industry: generation (wind, solar, nuclear),
distribution (smarter grid), storage and electric transportation.

If we do not succeed in changing our destructive behavior, the
increasing trends in extreme weather, sea levels, government
destabilization and human misery will continue and worsen.

Extreme heatwaves, drought, wildfires and flooding events like those
we’ve seen in recent summers will become commonplace. Many coastal
cities and communities around the globe will be increasingly inundated
by high tides and storm surges. Longer, more intense droughts will
destroy cropland and force agricultural communities to uproot their
families in search of a better life. The devastation of coral reefs
around the world will worsen, wiping out fisheries that provide staple
protein for millions of people. All of these impacts are happening now.
If we don’t act fast, many communities, cultures and species will cease
to exist.

Jennifer Francis is senior scientist at the Woodwell Climate Research Center
*Michael Mann: ‘Strictly speaking, zero’*
How many years do we have to act? Strictly speaking, zero – which is to
say, that we must act, in earnest, now. We have a decade within which we
must halve global carbon emissions. As I argue in The New Climate War,
this requires dramatic systemic change: no new fossil fuel
infrastructure, massive subsidies for renewables, carbon pricing and
deploying other policy tools to accelerate the clean energy transition
already under way.

We are seeing unprecedented public awareness, renewed leadership from
the US and diplomatic progress with China, the other of the world’s two
largest carbon polluters. There is reason for cautious optimism that we
can rise to the challenge. But there is much work to do, and precious
little time now to do it. We must now choose between two paths as we
face our future. One leads to massive suffering and collapse of our
civilizational infrastructure. The other leads to a prosperous future
for us, our children and grandchildren. But it requires that we leave
fossil fuels behind. The choice is ours.

Michael E Mann is distinguished professor of atmospheric science and
director of the Earth System Science Center at Penn State University. He
is author of the recent book, The New Climate War: The Fight to Take
Back our Planet
*Holly Jean Buck: ‘We need action now’*
We need to ramp up action now in order to transform all of our major
systems by 2050: energy, transportation, industry, agriculture, waste
management. We’ll need to eat less meat, farm in ways that store more
carbon in the soils, reforest degraded or abandoned land and restore
wetlands.

We need to force companies to outfit cement plants and other industrial
facilities with carbon capture technologies. When it comes to energy, we
need to electrify everything. This means replacing gas-fired heating
systems with an electric heat pump in your home and swapping out
gas-fired stoves. It means inventing new types of energy storage for
those times when the wind isn’t blowing and the sun isn’t shining, and
getting used to responding to the grid – for example, turning down your
air conditioning when the power company says there isn’t enough power
(or letting them control your thermostat).

It means shutting down fossil fuel power plants and ramping up wind,
solar, geothermal and probably nuclear, as well as building new
transmission lines. Our targets should be 60% renewable electricity by
2030, and 90% by 2050. This means tripling renewable installations by
2030, or installing the equivalent of the world’s largest solar farm
every day. If those power lines and solar panels look like they are
industrializing the landscape, just think about the less visible but
deadly costs of the old infrastructure. Fossil fuel combustion was
responsible for 8.7m deaths in 2018.

Fossil fuels need to be phased out around the globe. What will people in
those industries do? We will need entire new industries in hydrogen and
carbon management, industries that turn captured carbon dioxide into
fuels and other products as well as store it underground. We can’t just
let fossil fuel companies pivot to becoming petrochemical companies, and
find ourselves awash in more plastic. We can recycle, use products made
from carbon, and innovate new bioproducts. It’s not just an energy
transition, it’s a materials transition.

And it needs to be global. If we don’t succeed in transitioning away
from fossil fuels globally, we could face an uneven world where a few
rich countries congratulate themselves for going green, and a few oil
producer nations are supplying the rest of the world with dirty fuel,
which they use because they don’t have alternatives. In that world,
greenhouse gas concentrations keep rising. Climate change exacerbates
the risk of war and conflict. It’s hard to measure or model this for
exact quantitative projections, but it’s a serious concern. Phasing out
fossil fuels, and supporting other countries in exiting fossil fuels, is
the best bet for a peaceful future.

Holly Jean Buck is assistant professor of environment and sustainability
at the University at Buffalo. She is the author of After Geoengineering:
Climate Tragedy, Repair, and Restoration
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/28/climate-crisis-zero-fossil-fuels-environment

[WAPO Opinion]
*Opinion: People are dying because of Republican hostility to science*
Max Boot - Columnist - July 28. 2012
If you want to know why the United States is in such big trouble, look
at the findings of a new Gallup poll. The percentage of Republicans
expressing a “great deal” or “quite a lot” of confidence in science has
plummeted from 72 percent in 1975 to just 45 percent today. (By
contrast, the number of Democrats with confidence in science has grown
from 67 percent to 79 percent.)...
- -
The Republican rejection of science makes it extremely difficult,
verging on impossible, to deal with two of the biggest crises we
currently face: global warming and the coronavirus pandemic.

Evidence of global warming’s calamitous consequences is growing daily.
As my Post colleagues noted on Saturday: “Massive floods deluged Central
Europe, Nigeria, Uganda and India in recent days, killing hundreds.
June’s scorching temperatures, followed by a fast-moving wildfire,
erased a Canadian town. More than a million people are close to
starvation amid Madagascar’s worst drought in decades. In Siberia, tens
of thousands of square miles of forest are ablaze, potentially
unleashing carbon stored in the frozen ground below.”...
- -
How many more people have to die from global warming and covid-19 before
Republicans realize the deadly consequences of their hostility to
science? Alas, the GOP might have gone too far down the rabbit hole to
return to the land of fact and reason.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/07/28/people-are-dying-because-republican-hostility-science/

[Me thinks Chevron doth deny too much ]
*Marianne Williamson: Steven Donziger Found GUILTY After DRACONIAN
Treatment, Chevron RESPONDS*
Jul 27, 2021
The Hill
Marianne Williamson, former Democratic presidential candidate, reacts to
Steven Donziger being found guilty of contempt.
About Rising:
Rising is a weekday morning show with bipartisan hosts that breaks the
mold of morning TV by taking viewers inside the halls of Washington
power like never before. The show leans into the day's political cycle
with cutting edge analysis from DC insiders who can predict what is
going to happen. It also sets the day's political agenda by breaking
exclusive news with a team of scoop-driven reporters and demanding
answers during interviews with the country's most important political
newsmakers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RInq2G0hxdM

[Play the 4 min video] - why the drumbeat sound track ?  I dont need that]
*Climate crisis: what one month of extreme weather looks like – video*
In the last month, devastating weather extremes have hit regions across
the world. From flash floods in Belgium to deadly temperatures in the
US, from wildfires in Siberia to landslides in India, it has been an
unprecedented period of chaotic weather. Climate scientists have long
predicted that human-caused climate disruption would lead to more
flooding, heatwaves, droughts, storms and other forms of extreme
weather, but even they have been shocked by the scale of these scenes
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/video/2021/jul/29/climate-crisis-what-one-month-of-extreme-weather-looks-like-video

[Harvard study]
*Deaths from fossil fuel emissions higher than previously thought*
Fossil fuel air pollution responsible for more than 8 million people
worldwide in 2018
By Leah Burrows |February 9, 2021
More than 8 million people died in 2018 from fossil fuel pollution,
significantly higher than previous research suggested, according to new
research from Harvard University, in collaboration with the University
of Birmingham, the University of Leicester and University College
London. Researchers estimated that exposure to particulate matter from
fossil fuel emissions accounted for 18 percent of total global deaths in
2018  — a little less than 1 out of 5.

Regions with the highest concentrations of fossil fuel-related air
pollution — including Eastern North America, Europe, and South-East Asia
— have the highest rates of mortality, according to the study published
in the journal Environmental Research.

The study greatly increases estimates of the numbers killed by air
pollution. The most recent Global Burden of Disease Study, the largest
and most comprehensive study on the causes of global mortality, put the
total number of global deaths from all outdoor airborne particulate
matter — including dust and smoke from wildfires and agricultural burns
— at 4.2 million.

The findings underscore the detrimental impact of fossil fuels on global
health....
https://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2021/02/deaths-fossil-fuel-emissions-higher-previously-thought

[what are you sayin]
*Three Americans create enough carbon emissions to kill one person,
study finds*
The analysis draws on public health studies that conclude that for every
4,434 metric tons of CO2 produced, one person globally will die
The lifestyles of around three average Americans will create enough
planet-heating emissions to kill one person, and the emissions from a
single coal-fired power plant is likely to result in more than 900
deaths, according to the first analysis to calculate the mortal cost of
carbon emissions.

The new research builds upon what is known as the “social cost of
carbon”, a monetary figure placed upon the damage caused by each ton of
carbon dioxide emissions, by assigning an expected death toll from the
emissions that cause the climate crisis...
- -
The figures for expected deaths from the release of emissions aren’t
definitive and may well be “a vast underestimate” as they only account
for heat-related mortality rather than deaths from flooding, storms,
crop failures and other impacts that flow from the climate crisis,
according to Daniel Bressler of Columbia University’s Earth Institute,
who wrote the paper.
Air pollution caused by the burning of fossil fuels is also directly
killing people, with a landmark Harvard University study published in
February finding that more than 8 million globally are dying each year
from the health effects of toxic air.

“There are a significant number of lives that can be saved if you pursue
climate policies that are more aggressive than the business as usual
scenario,” Bressler said. “I was surprised at how large the number of
deaths are. There is some uncertainty over this, the number could be
lower but it could also be a lot higher.”..
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/29/carbon-emissions-americans-social-cost

[new publication]
*New report on the UN Security Council’s work on climate security published*
This is a cross-post from the Planetary Security Initiative
In the past 18 months, the emergence of climate security as a
mainstreamed and core risk for national governments and IGOs has
accelerated. In particular, the UN Security Council (UNSC) is becoming
more cognizant of climate change being a core security risk that should
be under the remit of the organ and subsequently integrated into
peacekeeping considerations and mission deployments.

A new report just published by “Security Council Report” is a first
comprehensive analysis on the centrality and action of the UNSC,
commissioned by the member states of the ‘Group of Friends on Climate
and Security’. It seems to fill the void of no official UNSC report
existing yet on the topic. The overarching message is that the issue is
becoming increasingly talked about and embedded within the UN, but that
disagreements over climate change’s impacts on security and whether it
should be dealt with by a security organ persist.  The Security Council
itself has seen 2 debates hosted on climate security in 2020 and 2021
respectively and the establishment of an Informal Expert Group to push
for greater focus on the UNSC attention on climate security.

More widely, the report praises the integration of climate security
within the wider UN architecture. Examples such as the assignment of
specific climate security advisors to UN missions in the Sahel and
Somalia, the growth of the Climate Security Mechanism and precise
reference to the role of climate change in worsening security in mandate
extensions for UN missions in Cyprus and Iraq are all seen as indicators
of progress being made faster in the UN at large compared to the Council.

Indeed, the report has a high amount of self-criticality by openly
discussing the headwinds and reasons why climate security is not more
entrenched at a Council level. The issue is not around the recognition
of climate change, but its impact on security. Several states consider
climate change above all a civilian issue and they fear domination by
the security sector, once it receives a mandate. By officially
recognising climate security as a risk, the Security Council may be
empowered to prosecute or levy sanctions at states deemed to be
contributing more to climate change for example. This is why Russia and
China, some of the largest emitters, are sensitive to any changes in
recognition and thus act as conscious objectors to the growing movement.
Finally, there are divisions between states regarding the scientific or
empirical link between climate security and worsening security
situations. The criticisms seem to be driven by the ‘Group of Friends’
disagreements with Russia, China and India on their positions on the
links between climate and security.

Moving forward, the report recognizes the seismic nature of an American
shift in position, with US President Joe Biden’s 180 degree policy
reversal from Donald Trump has seen the US taking a lead in embedding
climate security into the UNSC focus. This has helped push more climate
change language to be considered in mission extensions in Haiti,
Afghanistan and the Central African Republic. More funding is expected
to be given to embedding environmental peace-building and climate
security experts across UN missions in Africa as well as further
political lobbying to formalize climate security into the UNSC’s risk
matrix and subsequent purview.For more on climate security and the UNSC,
check out the Planetary Security Initiative’s latest report on the topic
here, and the Center for Climate and Security’s previous blog posts here
and here.
https://climateandsecurity.org/2021/07/new-report-on-the-un-security-councils-work-on-climate-security-published/
- -
[monthly report]
*In Hindsight: The UN Security Council and Climate Change *
https://www.securitycouncilreport.org/monthly-forecast/2021-07/in-hindsight-the-un-security-council-and-climate-change.php

[positive]
*Katharine Wilkinson | What Could Possibly Go Right?*
Jul 27, 2021
Post Carbon Institute
#50 Katharine Wilkinson: Making Our Hearts Public in Climate Conversation

Listen on your favorite podcast app: https://link.chtbl.com/wcpgr

Dr. Katharine Wilkinson is an author, strategist, teacher, and co-host
of the podcast, A Matter of Degrees. Dr. Wilkinson co-founded and leads
The All We Can Save Project with Dr. Ayana Elizabeth Johnson, in support
of women leading on climate. Her books on climate include the
bestselling anthology All We Can Save (2020, co-editor), The Drawdown
Review (2020, editor-in-chief and lead writer), the New York Times
bestseller Drawdown (2017, lead writer), and Between God & Green (2012).

She addresses the question of “What Could Possibly Go Right?” with
thoughts including:

- The acknowledgment of how much has been and will be lost in our
current systems, but still showing up for the work of what we can save
in “this hard and magnificent moment”

- That “at our very best, we as human beings are active and generative
collaborators with lifeforce... in these relationships of reciprocity
and almost play with the planet's living systems.”

- The “different kind of leadership that women are bringing in droves on
climate”

- That dialog about solutions is often about scale and speed; yet, we
would benefit from considering solutions at depth with “heart-centered
wisdom” and love as a powerful leverage point

- The value of “making our hearts public”, bringing feelings and stories
into climate conversation

- That what could go right is “in the onslaught of the quest for power
and profit and prestige, that maybe these things could actually be
replaced with care and courage and connection and community and creativity.”

Resources
- The All We Can Save Project: www.allwecansave.earth
- Book: All We Can Save edited by Ayana Elizabeth Johnson and Katharine
K. Wilkinson www.allwecansave.earth/anthology
- Podcast: www.degreespod.com
- Marge Piercy poem ‘To Be Of Use’ from Circles on the Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ypOjbqzGk

[Heat]
*‘Record-shattering’ heat becoming much more likely, says climate study*
More heatwaves even worse than those seen recently in north-west of
America forecast in research...
- -
Preparing for such unprecedented extremes was vital, said the
scientists, because they could cause thousands of premature deaths, and
measures taken to adapt to date had often been based only on previous
heat records.

Scientists already know that heatwaves of the kind mostly seen today
will become more common as the climate crisis unfolds. But heatwaves are
usually analysed by comparing them with the past, which means the vast
majority are only marginally hotter than before. This can give a false
sense of a gradual rise in record temperatures...
- -
The new computing modelling study instead looked for the first time at
the highest margins by which week-long heatwave records could be broken
in future.

It found that heatwaves that smash previous records by roughly 5C would
become two to seven times more likely in the next three decades and
three to 21 times more likely from 2051–2080, unless carbon emissions
are immediately slashed. Such extreme heatwaves are all but impossible
without global heating.

The vulnerability of North America, Europe and China was striking, said
Erich Fischer, at ETH Zurich in Switzerland, who led the research. “Here
we see the largest jumps in record-shattering events. This is really
quite worrying,” he added.

“Many places have by far not seen anything close to what’s possible,
even in present-day conditions, because only looking at the past record
is really dangerous.”...
The study also showed that record-shattering events could come in sharp
bursts, rather than gradually becoming more frequent. “That is really
concerning,” Fischer said: “Planning for heatwaves that get 0.1C more
intense every two or three years would still be very worrying, but it
would be much easier to prepare for.”

Prof Michael Mann, at Pennsylvania State University in the US and not
part of the new research, said: “This study underscores something that
has been apparent in the record weather extremes we’ve seen this summer:
dangerous climate change is here, and it’s now simply a matter of how
dangerous we are willing to let it get.” Mann’s own research published
in May showed a possible doubling of heat stress in the US by 2100.

But he said: “If anything, this latest study, and our own, are
underestimating the potential for deadly heat extremes in the future, in
the absence of significant climate action.” That is because current
climate models do not capture the slow-moving and very persistent nature
of the extreme weather phenomena seen in the Pacific north-west heatwave
and German floods recently...
The new research, published in the journal Nature Climate Change,
concluded: “Record-shattering extremes are [currently] very rare but
their expected probability increases rapidly in the coming three decades.”

It found the rate of global heating was critical in increasing the risk,
rather than simply the global temperature reached. This indicates that
sharp cuts in emissions are needed as soon as possible, rather than
emissions continuing and being sucked back out of the atmosphere at a
later date...
- -
“The good news is that we can prevent the worst case shown in this
study,” she said. If emissions start falling immediately and rapidly,
the study showed, the risk of record-shattering extremes is cut by about
80%. “With Cop26 looming, we must hope that policymakers use evidence
like this to show the need for global emissions reductions,” Thompson said.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/26/record-shattering-heat-becoming-much-more-likely-says-climate-study

- -

[From the Journal Nature]

*Increasing probability of record-shattering climate extremes*
E. M. Fischer, S. Sippel & R. Knutti
Nature Climate Change (2021)Cite this article
Abstract
Recent climate extremes have broken long-standing records by large
margins. Such extremes unprecedented in the observational period often
have substantial impacts due to a tendency to adapt to the highest
intensities, and no higher, experienced during a lifetime. Here, we show
models project not only more intense extremes but also events that break
previous records by much larger margins. These record-shattering
extremes, nearly impossible in the absence of warming, are likely to
occur in the coming decades. We demonstrate that their probability of
occurrence depends on warming rate, rather than global warming level,
and is thus pathway-dependent. In high-emission scenarios, week-long
heat extremes that break records by three or more standard deviations
are two to seven times more probable in 2021–2050 and three to 21 times
more probable in 2051–2080, compared to the last three decades. In
2051–2080, such events are estimated to occur about every 6–37 years
somewhere in the northern midlatitudes.

[Not very smart]
*A Florida city wanted to move away from fossil fuels. The state just
made sure it couldn’t.*
The story behind Florida’s new laws that strip cities of their ability
to fight climate change.
https://grist.org/cities/tampa-wanted-renewable-energy-resolution-florida-lawmakers-made-sure-it-couldnt-gas-ban-preemption/

[Snow falls, then surface melts]
*High concentrations of 'forever' chemicals being released from ice melt
into the Arctic Ocean*
by Lancaster University--JULY 27, 2021

The research has shown these chemicals have traveled not by sea, but
through the atmosphere, where they accumulate in Arctic sea ice. Because
Arctic ice is melting more quickly than before, these harmful chemicals
are efficiently released into surrounding seawater resulting in some
very high concentrations.

Lancaster's Dr. Jack Garnett and Professor Crispin Halsall along with
colleagues from HZG, Germany, have been investigating the long range
transport and deposition of PFAS to the Arctic as part of EISPAC—a
project jointly funded by UK's NERC and Germany's BMBF as part of the
Changing Arctic Ocean program.

PFAS comprise of a very large number of chemicals that have myriad uses,
including processing aids in the manufacture of fluoropolymers like
Teflon, stain and water repellents in food packaging, textiles and
clothing, as well as use in firefighting foams.

One particular group of these chemicals—the perfluoroalkyl acids (PFAAs)
- are extremely stable and do not degrade in the environment but can
bioaccumulate and are known to be toxic to humans and wildlife.

PFAAs can enter the food chain due to their mobility in the environment
and protein-binding characteristics. The longer carbon chain compounds
of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonic acid
(PFOS) are generally associated with liver damage in mammals, with
developmental exposure to PFOA adversely affecting fetal growth in
humans and other mammals alike.

Dr. Jack Garnett discovered an unusual phenomenon whereby PFAAs present
in the atmosphere are deposited with snowfall onto the surface of ice
floes where they can eventually accumulate within the sea ice. Jack made
this observation while taking ice and water samples as part of a
scientific expedition under the Norwegian Nansen Legacy project
(arvenetternansen.com/).
https://phys.org/news/2021-07-high-chemicals-ice-arctic-ocean.html

[really old news that everybody knows anyway]
*New Zealand rated best place to survive global societal collapse*
Study citing ‘perilous state’ of industrial civilisation ranks temperate
islands top for resilience
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/28/new-zealand-rated-best-place-to-survive-global-societal-collapse
- -
[from 2018]
Why Silicon Valley billionaires are prepping for the apocalypse in New
Zealand
How an extreme libertarian tract predicting the collapse of liberal
democracies – written by Jacob Rees-Mogg’s father – inspired the likes
of Peter Thiel to buy up property across the Pacific

by Mark O’Connell
- -
The Sovereign Individual’s co-authors are James Dale Davidson, a private
investor who specialises in advising the rich on how to profit from
economic catastrophe, and the late William Rees-Mogg, long-serving
editor of the Times. (One other notable aspect of Lord Rees-Mogg’s
varied legacy is his own son, the Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg – a
hastily sketched caricature of an Old Etonian, who is as beloved of
Britain’s ultra-reactionary pro-Brexit right as he is loathed by the left.)

The Sovereign Individual book cover
I was intrigued by Byrt’s description of the book as a kind of master
key to the relationship between New Zealand and the techno-libertarians
of Silicon Valley. Reluctant to enrich Davidson or the Rees-Mogg estate
any further, I bought a used edition online, the musty pages of which
were here and there smeared with the desiccated snot of whatever
nose-picking libertarian preceded me.

It presents a bleak vista of a post-democratic future. Amid a thicket of
analogies to the medieval collapse of feudal power structures, the book
also managed, a decade before the invention of bitcoin, to make some
impressively accurate predictions about the advent of online economies
and cryptocurrencies.

The book’s 400-odd pages of near-hysterical orotundity can roughly be
broken down into the following sequence of propositions:

1) The democratic nation-state basically operates like a criminal
cartel, forcing honest citizens to surrender large portions of their
wealth to pay for stuff like roads and hospitals and schools.

2) The rise of the internet, and the advent of cryptocurrencies, will
make it impossible for governments to intervene in private transactions
and to tax incomes, thereby liberating individuals from the political
protection racket of democracy.

3) The state will consequently become obsolete as a political entity.

4) Out of this wreckage will emerge a new global dispensation, in which
a “cognitive elite” will rise to power and influence, as a class of
sovereign individuals “commanding vastly greater resources” who will no
longer be subject to the power of nation-states and will redesign
governments to suit their ends.

The Sovereign Individual is, in the most literal of senses, an
apocalyptic text.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/feb/15/why-silicon-valley-billionaires-are-prepping-for-the-apocalypse-in-new-zealand

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming July 30, 2010*
July 30, 2010: On MSNBC's "The Rachel Maddow Show," fill-in host Chris
Hayes and Mother Jones reporter Kate Sheppard discuss the coal
industry's role in killing climate-change legislation.
http://youtu.be/sWlwmzgLzVc

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry