[✔️] June 10, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Jun 10 11:21:11 EDT 2021

/*June 10, 2021*/

[seeing the light]
*Halogen lightbulb sales to be banned in UK under climate change plans*
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57407233

[what?!]
*‘The Dumbest Guy in Congress’ Asks U.S. Forest Service If It Can Change
Moon’s Orbit*
Why didn’t we think of that?
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/louie-gohmert-moon-orbit-nasa-climate-1180092/

- -

[finally, honest absurdity shows understanding of the enormity]
*Texas Republican asks: can we fix the moon’s orbit to fight climate
change?*
‘I’d have to follow up with you on that one,’ says forestry official
Jennifer Eberlien to bizarre question from Louie Gohmert  [includes a 1
minute video]

    “We know there’s been significant solar flare activity, and so … is
    there anything that the National Forest Service or BLM can do to
    change the course of the moon’s orbit, or the Earth’s orbit around
    the sun?” Gohmert asked. “Obviously that would have profound effects
    on our climate.”

    Eberlien said she would have to “follow up with you on that one, Mr
    Gohmert.”

    “Well, if you figure out a way that you in the Forest Service can
    make that change, I’d like to know,” Gohmert added.

    Though he seemed to be entirely earnest, some observers have posited
    that Gohmert was seeking to express a belief that climate change was
    a phenomenon of natural changes in the orbits of celestial bodies,
    and so any other efforts to address it would be futile.

    Gohmert’s question comes three years after a congressional science,
    space and technology committee hearing, focused on how technology
    could be deployed for climate change adaptation, heard from the
    Alabama Republican Mo Brooks on the subject of sea-level rise.

    Brooks posited a theory that erosion from land plays a significant
    role in sea-level rise, including silt from the world’s major
    rivers, and rocks along the California coastline and the White
    Cliffs of Dover falling into the sea.

    “Every time you have that soil or rock or whatever it is that is
    deposited into the seas, that forces the sea levels to rise, because
    now you have less space in those oceans, because the bottom is
    moving up,” Brooks said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/09/texas-republican-louie-gohmert-climate-change

[PBS video briefing on drought in the West]
*2021 could be one of the driest years in a millennium, and there's no
relief in sight*
May 28, 2021
PBS NewsHour
Nearly half of the country — from the Pacific coast to the Great Plains
and upper Midwest — is experiencing moderate to exceptional drought
conditions. That's expected to get worse throughout the summer. As
William Brangham reports, it's the western states in particular that are
taking the hardest hit, and the possibilities for devastating wildfires
are at an all-time high.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qDYi9HfQkI

[Video in Phoenix]
*How America’s Hottest City is Innovating to Survive | Weathered*
Jun 7, 2021
PBS Terra

Perhaps no place in the United States more clearly illustrates the
dangers of global warming than Phoenix, Arizona. 2020 was their hottest
year on record, with 53 days reaching at least 110 degrees F. And
heat-related deaths there have more than doubled over the last 5 years.
But while these trends are truly disturbing, there is hope. Because of
its extreme circumstances, Phoenix has been forced to explore innovative
solutions and is learning how to adapt urban life to hotter and hotter
temperatures.

In this episode of Weathered, we delve into the latest science of the
“urban heat island” effect, learn about the looming threat of a
potential “Katina-like event” that threatens their electrical grid, and
explore the gamut of options being pursued by scientists and activists
to make life safer and more livable in America’s hottest city.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2RQjtucG3M

[moving away from heat ]
*As more climate migrants cross borders seeking refuge, laws will need
to adapt*
Climate change is upending people’s lives around the world, but when
droughts, floods or sea level rise force them to leave their countries,
people often find closed borders and little assistance.

Part of the problem is that today’s laws, regulations and international
agreements about migrants, asylum-seekers and refugees offer few, if
any, special protection to those forced to leave because of climate
conditions.

National laws focus primarily on violence and conflict as drivers of
forced migration and rarely consider environmental stress. In fact, no
nation’s immigration system currently has environmental criteria for
admission. International agreements such as the Global Compact for Safe,
Orderly and Regular Migration and the Global Compact for Refugees
mention the impacts of natural disasters and environmental degradation,
but they are not legally binding.

The Biden administration has started exploring ways to identify and
assist people who are displaced by climate change. But climate-driven
migration is complicated.

Often, the environmental stressors associated with climate change are
only one factor pushing people to migrate. For example, many migrants
from Guatemala trying to enter the U.S. have struggled under severe
droughts or storms, but many also fear crime and violence if they move
to cities in their homeland to find work. Others are seeking
opportunities that they and their children don’t have.

As experts in migration and climate risk, we have been studying how
climate change is displacing people within their own countries and often
pushing them to cross borders. Here are some of the key challenges the
Biden administration faces and reasons this effort can’t wait.
- -
*Rethinking the role of disasters*
Climate change and other environmental stresses have increasingly become
drivers of displacement, but in ways that do not fit neatly within the
bright dichotomy that law and policy use to distinguish between refugees
and other people on the move.

We believe it’s time for countries worldwide to rethink the role of
disasters and climate change in migration, recognize the rights of those
displaced by environmental causes and reform international and national
laws and policies, which are out of date with what’s known today about
climate change and displacement. Nations may be reluctant to offer what
may seem like a new portal for migrants, but evidence suggests those
numbers will only rise, and countries need to be prepared.
https://theconversation.com/as-more-climate-migrants-cross-borders-seeking-refuge-laws-will-need-to-adapt-159673

- -

[United Nations document]
Global Compact for Migration
*The Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM)*

On 19 September 2016 Heads of State and Government came together for the
first time ever at the global level within the UN General Assembly to
discuss issues related to migration and refugees. This sent a powerful
political message that migration and refugee matters had become major
issues squarely in the international agenda. In adopting the New York
Declaration for Refugees and Migrants, the 193 UN Member States
recognized the need for a comprehensive approach to human mobility and
enhanced cooperation at the global level.
- -
The Global Compact is the first inter-governmentally negotiated
agreement, prepared under the auspices of the United Nations, covering
all dimensions of international migration in a holistic and
comprehensive manner. It is a non-binding document that respects states’
sovereign right to determine who enters and stays in their territory and
demonstrates commitment to international cooperation on migration. It
presents a significant opportunity to improve the governance of
migration, to address the challenges associated with today’s migration,
and to strengthen the contribution of migrants and migration to
sustainable development. The Global Compact is framed in a way
consistent with target 10.7 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable
Development in which Member States committed to cooperate
internationally to facilitate safe, orderly and regular migration. The
Global Compact is designed to:

    support international cooperation on the governance of international
    migration;
    provide a comprehensive menu of options for States from which they
    can select policy options to address some of the most pressing
    issues around international migration; and give states the space and
    flexibility to pursue implementation based on their own migration
    realities and capacities.

The New York Declaration

For the first time on 19 September 2016 Heads of State and Government
came together to discuss, at the global level within the UN General
Assembly, issues related to migration and refugees. This sent an
important political message that migration and refugee matters have
become major issues in the international agenda. In adopting the New
York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants, the 193 UN Member States
recognized the need for a comprehensive approach to human mobility and
enhanced cooperation at the global level and committed to:

    protect the safety, dignity and human rights and fundamental
    freedoms of all migrants, regardless of their migratory status, and
    at all times;
    support countries rescuing, receiving and hosting large numbers of
    refugees and migrants;
    integrate migrants – addressing their needs and capacities as well
    as those of receiving communities – in humanitarian and development
    assistance frameworks and planning;
    combat xenophobia, racism and discrimination towards all migrants;
    develop, through a state-led process, non-binding principles and
    voluntary guidelines on the treatment of migrants in vulnerable
    situations; and
    strengthen global governance of migration, including by bringing IOM
    into the UN family and through the development of a Global Compact
    for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration
    Annex II of the New York Declaration set in motion a process of
    intergovernmental consultations and negotiations culminating in the
    planned adoption of the Global Compact for Migration at an
    intergovernmental conference on international migration in 2018.

*What are the aims of the Global Compact for Migration?*

The Global Compact is framed consistent with target 10.7 of the 2030
Agenda for Sustainable Development in which Member States committed to
cooperate internationally to facilitate safe, orderly and regular
migration and its scope is defined in Annex II of the New York
Declaration. It is intended to:

    address all aspects of international migration, including the
    humanitarian, developmental, human rights-related and other aspects;
    make an important contribution to global governance and enhance
    coordination on international migration;
    present a framework for comprehensive international cooperation on
    migrants and human mobility;
    set out a range of actionable commitments, means of implementation
    and a framework for follow-up and review among Member States
    regarding international migration in all its dimensions;
    be guided by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the
    Addis Ababa Action Agenda; and
    be informed by the Declaration of the 2013 High-Level Dialogue on
    International Migration and Development.

The development of the Global Compact for Migration - an open,
transparent and inclusive process

The Modalities Resolution for the intergovernmental negotiations of the
Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration outlined the key
elements and timeline of the process. The Global Compact was developed
through an open, transparent and inclusive process of consultations and
negotiations and the effective participation of all relevant
stakeholders, including civil society, the private sector, academic
institutions, parliaments, diaspora communities, and migrant
organizations in both the intergovernmental conference and its
preparatory process.

For more information see “GCM Development Process“ and the United
Nations Network on Migration
https://www.iom.int/global-compact-migration

[written document]
*FATAL CALCULATIONS*
How Economics has Underestimated Climate Damage and Encouraged Inaction
Pandemics and climate disruption are existential risks that require that
particular emphasis be placed on the high-impact possibilities, not
middle-of-the road outcomes. This latest Breakthrough report shows how
and why economists, in their fatal economic miscalculations, have
ignored the real risks of climate change, underestimated climate damage
and encouraged inaction.

Written by: David Spratt & Alia Armistead
Foreword by Ian Dunlop
https://www.breakthroughonline.org.au/publications

[Australia report - video news]
*The risks to Australia of a 3°C warmer world*
Mar 30, 2021
Australian Academy of Science
If the world fails to reach net zero emissions by 2050, Australia could
face potentially insurmountable challenges to its cities, ecosystems,
industries and food and health systems.

Read our media release:
https://www.science.org.au/news-and-events/news-and-media-releases/risks-australia-warmer-world
Read the report now: https://science.org.au/warmerworld
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDtkPpq6IEA

[collapse is a process, not an event - an important interview]
*Climate Change & Collapse with Prof. Will Steffen*
Apr 26, 2021
Sam Barton
Today we're talking about climate change and the precarious position we
are all in, threatened with the very collapse of our societies and the
biosphere upon which they rest, all due to our inaction. Joining me to
explore this sobering topic is Earth system scientist Professor Will
Steffen.

Will is a climate change expert and researcher at the Australian
National University, Canberra. He's held many positions related to
guiding our species back onto a sustainble climate trajectory. He was
the Executive Director of the Australian National University's Climate
Change Institute, he served as a Science Adviser to the Australian
Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, he was a founding
Climate Councillor of Australia's Climate Council, and has been an
author and reviewer of five of the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change) assessments and special reports between 2000 and 2018.

In our conversation, we cover:
- How bad is the current situation?
- Tipping points
- The difficulty of modelling a system as complex as our climate and
thus, the need for a great deal of humiltiy and caution when dealing
with climate change
- We talk of the threat social collapse due to climate change
- and why we really need to get our act together by 2030 in order to try
and stablise the climate system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJhKcrfoRu4

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming June 10, 1963*

June 10, 1963: In a commencement address at American University,
President Kennedy famously observes:

"For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all
inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish
our children’s futures. And we are all mortal."

http://youtu.be/0fkKnfk4k40

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry