[✔️] June 11, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Jun 11 09:12:46 EDT 2021

/*June 11, 2021*/

[many days of high heat breathing bites the nose and lungs]
*Record heat forecast to bake Southwest next week, amid worsening drought*
Las Vegas, Phoenix and Salt Lake City face a long duration, punishing
heat wave.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/06/10/record-heat-wave-southwest/

[early fire season]
*California drought has moved up 2021 wildfire season far ahead of
schedule, PG&E warns*
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article252007268.html

- -

[OK this might change things]
*Experts warn of urban dangers ahead of wildfire season*
by Lincoln Graves, KATU Staff, June 9th 2021
PORTLAND, Ore. — Firefighters across Oregon have already begun fighting
fires in the 2021 wildfire season. But with months more to go, experts
are warning people in urban areas not to let their guard down.

"We've been doing a lot of site visits for people who are wanting to
know, are their homes safe or are they in danger?" said Tammy Owen, a
public information officer with Clackamas Fire District #1.

Owen says memories of last year's Riverside Fire, which caused mass
evacuations in Clackamas County, have convinced some people that
wildfires can occur in urban areas.

The Almeda Fire burned through the towns of Phoenix and Talent in
September of 2020, destroying large sections of town. That fire didn't
start or burn in any forested areas and instead torched residential areas.
"One of the things that people get is the misconception in wildland
fires is the wall of fire that burns through evenly burning things,"
said Pat McAbery a firefighter with Gresham Fire. "What it really is
most of the time is the embers that are jumping ahead and catching in
little places."

Gresham firefighter recalls horror of battling Almeda Fire in southern
Oregon
"When you just see where a town used to be and now it's not anymore, it
really gives you a little awe from Mother Nature's ability to say, I'm
going to do this my way and you're not going to have much of an impact
on it."
https://katu.com/news/local/experts-warn-of-urban-dangers-ahead-of-wildfire-season

[YouTube video pondering individual action]
*What YOU can do about climate change.*
Feb 14, 2020
Our Changing Climate
In this Our Changing Climate environmental video essay, I look at what
you can do about climate change using individual, personal, and
collective actions. This video, however, is not a simple list of the
best things a person can do to change their lifestyle and shrink their
carbon footprint, instead I start by looking at the way in which we’ve
globally become fixated on individual solutions to climate change. We
envision ourselves more as consumers than as citizens. As a result
carbon footprint related actions like flying less, zero waste, and
recycling are prioritized over voting, protesting, and system change.
This video is all about doing both personal things to lower your carbon
footprint like driving less, but simultaneously acting collectively to
create a system in which having a small carbon footprint is feasible for
everyone. Structural change and individual change are both necessary to
stop climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSgXcFdHxFI

[also with audio text reader]
*Gore pressed Biden to stick with climate plans as liberals fear White
House is softening its agenda*
The president and former vice president had a private phone call amid
concerns the White House might strip climate measures from the
infrastructure deal.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/06/10/climate-biden-gore-infrastructure/

[OK. will do]
*Climate and nature crises: solve both or solve neither, say experts*
Restoring nature boosts biodiversity and ecosystems that can rapidly and
cheaply absorb carbon emissions
Humanity must solve the climate and nature crises together or solve
neither, according to a report from 50 of the world’s leading scientists.

Global heating and the destruction of wildlife is wreaking increasing
damage on the natural world, which humanity depends on for food, water
and clean air. Many of the human activities causing the crises are the
same and the scientists said increased use of nature as a solution was
vital...
- -
The UK environment minister, Zac Goldsmith, said: “This is an absolutely
critical year for nature and climate. With the UN biodiversity [and
climate summits], we have an opportunity and responsibility to put the
world on a path to recovery. This hugely valuable report makes it clear
that addressing biodiversity loss and climate change together offers our
best chance of doing so.”
- -
[Gizmodo]
*Landmark Report Links Earth’s 2 Biggest Existential Threats for the
First Time*
Fifty top scientists warn climate change and biodiversity loss are one
and the same, and world leaders need to start addressing them in tandem.
Mass extinction and the climate emergency each pose an existential
threat to life as we know it. A new landmark report shows they must be
tackled in tandem to give nature—and by extension, us—the best shot at
survival.

The report, released on Thursday morning, was compiled by 50 top climate
and extinction experts for the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform
on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services and the Intergovernmental Panel
on Climate Change on Thursday morning. It’s the first-ever joint
collaboration between these two bodies, both of which have released
seminal reports in recent years on the climate crisis and the collapse
of nature. Their collaboration shows the urgency of these issues as
truly catastrophic impacts loom...
https://gizmodo.com/landmark-report-links-earth-s-2-biggest-existential-thr-1847067725

- -

[Associated Press]
*UN: Don’t forget to save species while fixing global warming*
By SETH BORENSTEIN and CHRISTINA LARSON
To save the planet, the world needs to tackle the crises of climate
change and species loss together, taking measures that fix both and not
just one, United Nations scientists said.

A joint report Thursday by separate U.N. scientific bodies that look at
climate change and biodiversity loss found there are ways to
simultaneously attack the two global problems, but some fixes to warming
could accelerate extinctions of plants and animals.

For example, measures such as expansion of bioenergy crops like corn, or
efforts to pull carbon dioxide from the air and bury it, could use so
much land — twice the size of India — that the impact would be “fairly
catastrophic on biodiversity,” said co-author and biologist Almut Arneth
at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany...
- -
https://apnews.com/article/united-nations-climate-climate-change-science-environment-and-nature-105743c9fb98132d09ee523fab0a96d7

[video discusses climate justice - linking vaccines to climate co-operation]
*Press Briefing -- G7 Summit: Rich Countries and Their Climate Promises*
Jun 10, 2021
Covering Climate Now
Ahead of the G7 summit, CCNow invited two distinguished experts to brief
journalists:

– Saleemul Huq is the director of the International Centre for Climate
Change and Development in Dhaka and a professor at the Independent
University Bangladesh; he helped train diplomats from the global South
who inserted the 1.5 C goal in the Paris Agreement.

– Rachel Kyte is the dean of The Fletcher School at Tufts University in
Boston; she was the World Bank Group’s special envoy to the Paris
Agreement negotiations and later a special representative of the UN
Secretary General.

The event was moderated by Mark Hertsgaard, the executive director of
Covering Climate Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1_rjl4H4s0
[starts  8 mins in -  Anti-US rant - 37:20    Loss and Damage discussion
52:30]
[https://youtu.be/h1_rjl4H4s0?t=2219 "We know about your politics"]

[Extinction Rebellion over 2 hour video]
*Advice to Young People as they face Annihilation | Roger Hallam |
2021*Advice to Young People as they face Annihilation | Roger Hallam | 2021
Jun 9, 2021
Extinction Rebellion

    00:00 Introduction
    22:50 The Real World
    51:38 The Liberal Left
    1:06:36 The Radical Left
    1:22:45 Action
    1:41:15 Organisation
    1:59:20 Wisdom and Balance

“In a very cynical way, it’s a triumph for science because at last we
have stabilized something – namely the estimates for the carrying
capacity of the planet, namely below one billion people” - Professor
Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, New York Times, (March 2009).

This was predicted by Schellnhuber, one of Europe’s most eminent
scientists, then director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact
Research in Germany, on the premise that if the build-up of greenhouse
gases and its consequences were to push global temperatures 9°F higher
than those of March 2009.

Current world population: 7.9 billion.

One of the main reasons why youth are so demoralised about their future
is that older people lie to them, and young people know this. Older
people lie to them about the climate crisis – that is it not as bad as
it actually is – that 1.5°C is still attainable. Unless we come up with
some miracle technology, it is not. Worse still, older people lie to
them about what it takes to make real political change. Going on a march
and standing outside schools doesn’t even reach the foothills of
effectiveness. Only mass non-violent civil resistance (thousands of
youth blocking ‘business as usual’ and getting arrested and going to
prison) is in the ball park of creating the massive change that everyone
knows is now necessary.
The following quote is the founding ethical basis of Extinction
Rebellion and Burning Pink,

“To love truth for its own sake is the principal part of perfection in
this world and the seed-plot of all other virtues” - John Locke

The basis of respect to another person is to be truthful with them, even
when that truth feels unbearable. Roger Hallam shows this respect in
this video. Young people face annihilation, which means the collapse of
their societies into an endless hell of rape, slaughter and starvation,
unless they enter into non-violent civil resistance against the carbon
addicted political regimes which are taking them to their death. This is
the way it is.

If this video has interested you, check out international youth
organisation Last Generation. Last Generation calls for non-violent
REVOLUTION.

“Our Generation is forced to do this - we have no choice. We have a duty
thrust upon us when the government is guilty of treason. Our demand of
Binding Citizen's assemblies is our path to life, democracy and justice
for all."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnpOnO71wno

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming June 11, 2001*
June 11, 2001: In a Rose Garden speech on climate change, President
George W. Bush repeatedly attacks the Kyoto Protocol.
http://c-spanvideo.org/program/GlobalClimateChang
http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2001/06/20010611-2.html

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry