[✔️] June 18, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest,

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Jun 18 11:25:35 EDT 2021

/*June 18, 2021*/

[USA Today and other news outlets]
*Abnormal temperatures are baking the Western US in triple digits. These
heat waves could become the new normal.*
-- The National Weather Service announced that more than 40 million
people in the Western U.S. are under a heat advisory or excessive heat
warning.
-- Power grid operators in California and Texas are vigilant as areas
hit triple-digit temperatures.
-- Scientists say people living in the American West can expect more
devastating heat waves in the coming years...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/weather/2021/06/16/heat-wave-arizona-california-western-us-bake-triple-digits/7721768002/

- -

[From the Insurance industry journal a warning]
*Californians Warned to Prepare for Brutal Heatwave, Fire Risk*
https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2021/06/15/618653.htm

- -

[bigger and badder news]
*Earth is trapping ‘unprecedented’ amount of heat, Nasa says*
Scientists from agency and Noaa say Earth’s ‘energy imbalance’ roughly
doubled from 2005 to 2019 in ‘alarming’ way

    The Earth is trapping nearly twice as much heat as it did in 2005,
    according to new research, described as an “unprecedented” increase
    amid the climate crisis.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/17/earth-trapping-heat-study-nasa-noaa

[video - book discussion - food future]
*Our Changing Menu*
Jun 17, 2021
Facing Future
Climate change is altering food crops around the world, changing our
diet in ways that we're only beginning to grasp.  New conditions, like
warmer nights and winters, disrupt cycles of growth, and allow pests and
blights that would normally die out to survive in greater numbers.

The wake up call is on our plates.  Awareness of melting ice and rising
temperatures may not shock everyone into action, but the loss of the
foods we love and need is an immediate and visceral threat.

In their book #OurChaningMenu, Mike Hoffman and his co -authors point to
the fragility of the global food system that is threatened by our
failure to address the crisis.   We all eat.  We can all act to
influence our governments, waste less food, support regenerative
agriculture,  and recognize that the problem is not next month, it's
tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8XnMyLVhXM

[keep score: nearly 419 parts per million.]
*Despite pandemic, carbon dioxide level in atmosphere hits record high*
"If we want to avoid catastrophic climate change, the highest priority
must be to reduce CO2 pollution to zero at the earliest possible date,”
one top scientist says.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/06/07/atmospheric-carbon-dioxide-hits-record-levels/

[East Coast]
*Embracing sea-level rise with new shoreline guidance*
The Virginia Marine Resources Commission just approved new guidelines
that will serve as a blueprint for shoreline development moving forward.
https://www.13newsnow.com/article/tech/science/environment/embracing-sea-level-rise/291-92556612-7df4-4968-848d-c2d80368a8df

- -

[video military readiness]
*Sea level rise poses a major threat to the military*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GGqzERnzxU

- -

[West Coastal waves lapping at shoreline]
*Oceanside Seawall Dispute Hints at Looming Decisions Over Sea-Level Rise*
Oceanside, like many of Southern California coastal communities, is
struggling to protect its beachfront properties. And how the city used
to deal with sea damage is now being challenged by the state.
- -
The dispute with the Coastal Commission spurred Oceanside to change its
process for rubber-stamping repair work. Borrego said the city didn’t
have a formal application for a homeowner to submit work requests; it
was a more “informal process” that involved reviews by city engineering
staff. That’s changed.

The Coastal Commission and Oceanside are due to meet July 1 to try and
work out a solution. But there’s a bigger issue at stake than permitting
maintenance work.

The city of Oceanside is updating what’s known as a Local Coastal
Program, which spells out the types of development and projects that
need Coastal Commission permission. The Coastal Commission also needs to
sign off on any city’s Local Coastal Program. Oceanside is also working
through its own assessment of how climate change is going to shrink the
beach and endanger coastal homes down the line, a process that involves
studying how to add and keep sand on the beach.

“The issue of sand replenishment is one of the top issues we’re dealing
with at the city,” Borrego said. “The challenge is, at least in recent
years, the amount of sand replenishment has not been able to keep up
with the amount of sand loss. There is a sense of urgency.”

It’s not alone. The city of Del Mar is currently at odds with the
Coastal Commission over a piece of its Local Coastal Program dictating
how it’ll deal with global warming-induced sea-level rise, in part
because the city isn’t planning to move properties off the crumbling
coastline, according to the Del Mar Times.

Oceanside is holding a public workshop on June 30 to discuss a series of
“sand studies” the city hopes to present to the City Council. There are
a few options on the table, like building jetties or an artificial reef
designed to keep sand near the coast...
Managed retreat, a climate policy term that strikes fear in many coastal
hearts because it implies a mandate to abandon and move properties away
from the modern coastline, isn’t on the table in Oceanside – yet.

Borrego said, according to the scientific sea-level rise projections the
city has, managed retreat isn’t “something that will have to be
implemented” for at least another 20 years. That’s also the average
lifespan of a local coastal plan.

“We’d probably be looking at the Coastal Commission for that sort of
language,” Borrego said. “That’s not something the city would
proactively ask the property owner to do.”

When I asked Ditty what he would do if the government told him the ocean
was going to destroy his home and he had to move, he took a long look at
the waves.

“I’m certainly not going to try and maintain property that the climate
is going to make unsafe. Sometimes Mother Nature doesn’t give you any
choices,” Ditty said. “That’s a risk that I take owning a piece of
property on the beach. But I don’t think it’s going to be the government
dictating it so much as Mother Nature.”
https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/news/oceanside-seawall-dispute-hints-at-looming-decisions-over-sea-level-rise/

[AGU climate science discovery - half minute video ]
*Gravity waves from lightning storms*
Jun 17, 2021
AGU
Gravity waves have been observed 87 km above the Earth's surface,
spreading like ripples in a pond.

The waves are from powerful lightning storms. These images are from an
upwards-looking all-sky instrument at São Martinho da Serra at the
Southern Space Observatory in Brazil.

This set of images shows the concentric waves spreading from the point
more than 70 km above the center of the storm. Also visible is a bright
diagonal line, which is the Milky Way in the background.

Source: Case Studies on Concentric Gravity Waves Source Using Lightning
Flash Rate, Brightness Temperature and Backward Ray Tracing at São
Martinho da Serra (29.44°S, 53.82°W)

P. K. Nyassor, et al, (2021) JGR Atmospheres:
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/2020JD034527
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FsWmc9eHhQ

- -

[source mater]
Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres
Research Article
*Case Studies on Concentric Gravity Waves Source Using Lightning Flash
Rate, Brightness Temperature and Backward Ray Tracing at São Martinho da
Serra (29.44°S, 53.82°W)*

    Plain Language Summary
    A column of rising warm air (convective plume) in a cloud is capable
    of vertically overshooting the tropopause into the stratosphere by
    ∼1–3 km, thereby generating concentric atmospheric gravity waves.
    The updraft of the plume is the driving factor of the charge
    separation within the cloud, which results in lightning discharge.
    Since the lightning flash rate is a direct consequence of the
    updraft and overshooting, the intensity of the updraft modulates the
    lightning flash rate. If the plume overshoots the tropopause, the
    rate of the overshooting is related to the lightning flash rate and
    also to the waves excited from this overshooting. By backward
    tracing the waves, the position and time the ray path coincides with
    the tropopause agrees with the position and time of the overshooting
    plumes and high spatial density of the lightning. From the lightning
    flash rate, we also find that lightning jumps occurred at the same
    times as the overshooting. The spatial and temporal distributions of
    the overshooting plumes, their respective lightning density, and
    jumps, the position and time of the ray path as well as the
    concentric ring centers were used to locate the sources of these
    concentric waves that we investigate in this work.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/2020JD034527

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming June 18, 2005*

June 18, 2005: Investigative journalist Brad Friedman interviews White
House whistleblower Rick Piltz regarding the Bush Administration's
assault on science.

http://www.bradshow.com/Archives/BradShow_061805_Hour1_24k.mp3
http://www.bradshow.com/Archives/BradShow_061805_Hour4_24k.mp3

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry