[✔️] June 19, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jun 19 08:01:48 EDT 2021

/*June 19, 2021*/

[Global News video]
*Heat dome, megadrought, set stage for record wildfire season in Western US*
Jun 18, 2021
Global News
The weight of the climate crisis is bearing down on the U.S., as extreme
heat and a severe drought batter the Western states before the start of
summer.

California’s Death Valley reached a high of 54 degrees Celsius this
week, just shy of the hottest temperature ever recorded in the world,
which the region set in 1913.

Doctors are warning people not to touch door or car handles, as it could
lead to severe burns. As Jackson Proskow reports, summer hasn’t even
started yet and that’s raising fears that this wildfire season could be
explosive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4jvmDO51r0

- -

[Climate Scientist Peter Gleick says it clearly]
*If you're one of the 40 million Americans suffering during this extreme
heat wave, understand that you are literally feeling the effects of
human-caused climate change.*
https://twitter.com/PeterGleick/status/1405389739692236801

[strong positivism]
*How the U.S. Made Progress on Climate Change Without Ever Passing a Bill*
A “green vortex” is saving America’s climate future.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/06/climate-change-green-vortex-america/619228/

[Positivity and Jobs - 4 min video]
*Joshua Pearce PhD on Solar, Jobs, and Business*
Jun 18, 2021
greenmanbucket
Joshua Pearce PhD teaches young engineers at Michigan Tech University.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGMNf46SizA

[An important, interesting audio podcast - media analysis]
*Finding the Heart to Talk About Climate*
Talking about climate disruption can be difficult no matter your
background. Simply delivering information is rarely enough;
communicating hard truths may depend on first forming heartfelt human
connections.
https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/CCC9544803627?selected=CCC7947341030

[High school level fundamental science]
*Blue Ocean Event - point of no return when all the arctic ice melts*
Jan 16, 2020
PhysicsHigh
The Blue Ocean Event is the possibility of the arctic ice cap being
completely melted. If this occurs, it has major climate change
repercussions.
This video discuses the physics behind this and its likelihood
Animation of arctic ice decline -
http://iwantsomeproof.com/3d/siv-ds-weekly-3d.php
More graphs that show decline -
https://sites.google.com/site/pettitclimategraphs/sea-ice-volume
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSfEBD1_fLc

- -

[another explanation of the same]
*Arctic Blue Ocean Event - Going, Going, Gone*
Dec 1, 2020
Facing Future
Dr. Peter Wadhams, eminent exploratory ice scientist and emeritus
Cambridge professor of Polar Ice Physics, is with us again to discuss
the situation in the polar regions, and the approaching Arctic
#BlueOceanEvent (BOE), and some of its many ramifications. The BOE is
defined as less than 100,000 square km of ice in the Arctic ocean at the
annual low point, usually in September.  An increasing number of
estimates by scientific bodies places the first BOE, since humans have
walked the Earth, within the next few years. After that, it's a downhill
slide unless we can figure out how to refreeze the Arctic.

The Arctic may be far from where you and I live, but the disappearance
of Arctic ice will have vastly more far-reaching impacts in space and
time than that. It basically will knock us silly, as it makes it
progressively more difficult for humanity to grow enough food to feed
itself.  Once BOE occurs in some not very far away September, it will
gradually spread to other months, and it will constitute
#ClimateFeedback of similarly huge consequences, the flipping of the
reflectance (or 'albedo') of the Arctic from net reflector to net
absorber of the sun's heating rays.

We are, with our daily actions, creating a hell on Earth for our
children. We are aware of it, even those who deny it, but we are locked
into a system that ignores our imminent danger for the sake of
continuing our comfortable lifestyles, and participating in a
socio-economic system engineered to benefit the banks and the wealthy
few at the expense of the rest of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUzokM-WTZ0

[Astronomy is tangential]
*The Atmospheres of Terrestrial Worlds*
Jun 17, 2021
John Michael Godier
An exploration of the differences in terrestrial planet atmospheres and
what that might mean for exoplanets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qef8HBS7tWo

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming June 19, 2003*

The New York Times reports:
"The Environmental Protection Agency is preparing to publish a draft
report next week on the state of the environment, but after editing by
the White House, a long section describing risks from rising global
temperatures has been whittled to a few noncommittal paragraphs."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/19/us/report-by-epa-leaves-out-data-on-climate-change.html

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry