[✔️] May 1, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat May 1 09:00:40 EDT 2021

/*May 1, 2021*/

[Follow the money]
NY Times
*In Opposing Climate and Diversity Proposals, Buffett Risks Looking Out
of Step*
The Berkshire chief opposes shareholder proposals on climate and diversity.
Berkshire bucks the trend
Tomorrow is Berkshire Hathaway’s annual shareholder meeting, the
gathering known as “Woodstock for capitalists.” Like last year, the
company is bowing to the times by holding the meeting virtually. But
another aspect of the discussion may show that Warren Buffett is
increasingly out of step with the times, DealBook’s Michael de la Merced
reports.

Investors are pressing Berkshire to disclose more about climate change
and work-force diversity. Shareholders, including the Calpers public
pension fund, argue that Buffett’s conglomerate isn’t doing enough to
disclose its portfolio companies’ progress in addressing those issues.
Buffett opposed these initiatives ahead of the meeting, arguing that
they cut against Berkshire’s philosophy of letting its subsidiaries
operate largely independently.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/30/business/dealbook/buffett-berkshire-climate-diversity.html

[what of our future?]
EMISSIONS 29 April 2021
*Explainer: Will global warming ‘stop’ as soon as net-zero emissions are
reached?*
Media reports frequently claim that the world is facing “committed
warming” in the future as a result of past emissions, meaning higher
temperatures are “locked in”, “in the pipeline” or “inevitable”,
regardless of the choices society takes today.

The best available evidence shows that, on the contrary, warming is
likely to more or less stop once carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions reach
zero, meaning humans have the power to choose their climate future.

When scientists have pointed this out recently, it has been reported as
a new scientific finding. However, the scientific community has
recognised that zero CO2 emissions likely implied flat future
temperatures since at least 2008. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change (IPCC) 2018 special report on 1.5C also included a specific focus
on zero-emissions scenarios with similar findings. ...
https://www.carbonbrief.org/explainer-will-global-warming-stop-as-soon-as-net-zero-emissions-are-reached

[no two rivers flow the same]
*Glacier mass decreasing across Arctic but at different rates, says study*
Glacier mass is decreasing worldwide with an average total loss of 267
billion tonnes of mass per year, says a new study.
By Eilís Quinn -April 30, 2021

The period looked at was between 2000 and 2019. The loss of glacier mass
during this period also accounted for 21 per cent of the observed
sea-level rise, the authors said.

The study, “Accelerated global glacier mass loss in the early
twenty-first century” was published in the journal Nature on Wednesday.

Glacier mass loss has been accelerating by about 50 billion tonnes
annually each decade since 2000, the study found...
- -
To do the study, the researchers used satellite and aerial imagery to
look at 217,175  glaciers around the world to estimate the mass loss.

A supercomputer, co-funded by the University of Northern British
Columbia and the Hakai Institute, a Canadian scientific research
institution, also located in British Columbia, created digital elevation
models from over 440,000 images.

“The UNBC and Hakai Institute computer facilities allowed us to generate
time series of surface elevation, essentially time-varying topographies,
at 100-metre resolution for about one-half of a billion individual
locations over Earth’s glaciers and their surroundings,” Romain Hugonnet
said in a news release. Hugonnet is the study’s lead author and is with
the University of Toulouse in France and ETH Zurich, a Swiss university.

Creating the elevation models required the equivalent of 584 modern
computers running for a year.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/climate-crisis/2021/04/glacier-mass-decreasing-across-arctic-different-rates-says-study
- -
[source is the Journal nature]
Published: 28 April 2021
*Accelerated global glacier mass loss in the early twenty-first century*

    *Abstract*
    Glaciers distinct from the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets are
    shrinking rapidly, altering regional hydrology1, raising global sea
    level2 and elevating natural hazards3. Yet, owing to the scarcity of
    constrained mass loss observations, glacier evolution during the
    satellite era is known only partially, as a geographic and temporal
    patchwork4,5. Here we reveal the accelerated, albeit contrasting,
    patterns of glacier mass loss during the early twenty-first century.
    Using largely untapped satellite archives, we chart surface
    elevation changes at a high spatiotemporal resolution over all of
    Earth’s glaciers. We extensively validate our estimates against
    independent, high-precision measurements and present a globally
    complete and consistent estimate of glacier mass change. We show
    that during 2000–2019, glaciers lost a mass of 267 ± 16 gigatonnes
    per year, equivalent to 21 ± 3 per cent of the observed sea-level
    rise6. We identify a mass loss acceleration of 48 ± 16 gigatonnes
    per year per decade, explaining 6 to 19 per cent of the observed
    acceleration of sea-level rise. Particularly, thinning rates of
    glaciers outside ice sheet peripheries doubled over the past two
    decades. Glaciers currently lose more mass, and at similar or larger
    acceleration rates, than the Greenland or Antarctic ice sheets taken
    separately7,8,9. By uncovering the patterns of mass change in many
    regions, we find contrasting glacier fluctuations that agree with
    the decadal variability in precipitation and temperature. These
    include a North Atlantic anomaly of decelerated mass loss, a
    strongly accelerated loss from northwestern American glaciers, and
    the apparent end of the Karakoram anomaly of mass gain10. We
    anticipate our highly resolved estimates to advance the
    understanding of drivers that govern the distribution of glacier
    change, and to extend our capabilities of predicting these changes
    at all scales. Predictions robustly benchmarked against observations
    are critically needed to design adaptive policies for the local- and
    regional-scale management of water resources and cryospheric risks,
    as well as for the global-scale mitigation of sea-level rise.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03436-z

[video observation and commentary]
*Climate and Ecological Emergency. Can you really make a difference??*
Apr 30, 2021
*Just Have a Think*
251K subscribers

Climate and ecology are inextricably linked. Both are now in great
peril. If we do not tackle those challenges with co-ordinated efforts
then we stand far less chance of solving either of them. This holistic
approach forms the basis of the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill,
recently tabled in the UK Parliament by the MP Caroline Lucas. The paper
is a blueprint for how all national governments will need to legislate
in the coming years. And it contains clauses that ensure ordinary folks
like you and me can be fully involved in the decision making process.

About the CEE Bill Alliance

The CEE Bill Alliance campaign aims to create the magnitude of
grassroots' momentum that will activate/force the levers of government
power to legislate for dual emergency climate- nature legislation
through the CEE Bill. The CEE Bill - developed in collaboration with
experts across the science and legal disciplines - provides the
framework and principles, and an embedded citizens' assembly, to produce
a climate-nature law fit to address our 21st century planetary crisis.
You can be part of making this Bill law by signing up to support the
campaign and writing to your MP and councillors.
Please visit our website:
https://www.ceebill.uk​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhuuVIj9FoU

[Better keep an eye on this one]
*Antarctic ‘doomsday glacier’ may be melting faster than was thought*
Study finds more relatively warm water is reaching Thwaites glacier than
was previously understood
An Antarctic glacier larger than the UK is at risk of breaking up after
scientists discovered more warm water flowing underneath it than
previously thought.

The fate of Thwaites – nicknamed the doomsday glacier – and the massive
west Antarctic ice sheet it supports are the biggest unknown factors in
future global sea level rise.

Over the past few years, teams of scientists have been crisscrossing the
remote and inaccessible region on Antarctica’s western edge to try to
understand how fast the ice is melting and what the consequences for the
rest of the world might be.

“What happens in west Antarctica is of great societal importance,” said
Dr Robert Larter, a scientist with the British Antarctic Survey and
principal investigator with the International Thwaites Glacier
Collaboration, the most ambitious research project ever carried out in
Antarctica. “This is the biggest uncertainty in future sea level rise.”...
- -
The worst-case scenarios for Thwaites are grim. It is the widest glacier
on the planet, more than 1km deep and holds enough ice to raise the sea
level by 65cm.

Ice loss has accelerated in the last 30 years and it now contributes
about 4% of all global sea level rise. Experts say this could increase
dramatically if the ice at the front of Thwaites breaks up, with
knock-on effects for other glaciers in the area.

To heighten scientists’ concerns, west Antarctica has been one of the
fastest-warming place on Earth in the past 30 years, and since 2000 it
has lost more than 1tn tons of ice.

Last year, a team of British scientists discovered cavities half the
size of the Grand Canyon under Thwaites that, like decay in a tooth,
allow warm ocean water to erode the glacier, internally accelerating
melting. And because a lot of the ground on which the glacier sits is
below sea level, it is thought to be particularly vulnerable to melting
as warmer water encroaches further under the ice inland.

Larter said: “The bed gets deeper upstream and there is a glaciological
theory that says this is potentially a very unstable situation … it is a
very scary scenario when you first hear it, but there are various
negative feedback scenarios that might counter it.”

He said if the glacier’s “pinning points” were lost in the next few
years it would start to flow faster “and put more ice into the sea”. But
he said the question no one could currently answer was exactly how much
extra ice will go into the sea if the glacier begins to break up.

“That is a tricky question,” said Larter. “I think I would have to say
come back in a couple of years.”

He added: “Nobody knows how it is going to respond to persistent warming
– we don’t know because in human history we have never seen it happen.
We are trying in every way we can to get a handle on what is going to
happen.”

Ella Gilbert, a research scientist at the University of Reading, said
what was happening in the polar regions demanded an urgent response from
the international community.

“The polar regions are the canary in the coalmine – they are the symbol
of climate change,” said Gilbert, who was a joint author of a recent
study warning of the catastrophic impact of global heating on Antarctic ice.

“We really do need to minimise our emissions because if we lose the
polar regions, not only are we going to amplify climate change … it will
contribute to sea level rise which affects everyone around the globe.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/30/antarctic-doomsday-glacier-may-be-melting-faster-than-was-thought

[need for more wildfire fighters]*
* *Wildland firefighter speaks truth to Congressional power*
Bill Gabbert - April 29, 2021
“I have grown impatient with inaction”
Riva Duncan testifies fire Congressional hearing
Riva Duncan testifies remotely during Congressional hearing, April 29,
2021. Still image from live video.
In the oversight hearing today before the House of Representatives
Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands a former U.S.
Forest Service firefighter spoke truth to power.

Riva Duncan, who recently retired from the Fire Staff Officer position
on the Umpqua National Forest in Oregon, testified remotely about job
classification, pay disparity, employee health and wellbeing,
recruitment, size of the workforce, and fire seasons transforming into
fire years...
https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/04/29/wildland-firefighter-speaks-truth-to-congressional-power/
- -
[powerful video testimony]
*Wildfire in a Warming World*
April 29, 2021

    "I have watched many Congressional hearings about wildland fire and
    the agencies that manage them, and this is the first time I can
    remember that a firefighter who had worked their way up from an
    entry level position and had not been tainted by serving time in the
    Washington Office, testified about firefighting conditions. In 2016
    Kelly Martin, then Yosemite National Park’s Chief of Fire and
    Aviation Management, testified about sexual harassment, but she was
    not asked questions about pay, hiring, and retention.

    Ms. Duncan, now the Executive Secretary of the Grassroots Wildland
    Firefighters, submitted 13-pages of testimony, but the last portion
    of her five-minute opening oral remarks had a memorable impact on
    the politicians. Toward the end she choked up a little — you can
    probably guess which section provoked that response.
    House Natural Resources Committee Democrats"

The video of the hearing below should be cued up to begin about 10
seconds before Ms. Duncan’s opening remarks. If it does not start there,
you can skip to 36:00.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBxfI8kJ3g&t=2166s

- -

[supply and demand - plus fire and bark beatles]
*Why Dead Trees Are ‘the Hottest Commodity on the Planet’*
Blame climate change, wildfires, hungry beetles … and Millennial home
buyers.
ROBINSON MEYER - APRIL 27, 2021...
- -
Since 2018, a one-two punch of environmental harms worsened by climate
change has devastated the lumber industry in Canada, the largest lumber
exporter to the United States. A catastrophic and multi-decade outbreak
of bark-eating beetles, followed by a series of historic wildfire
seasons, have led to lasting economic damage in British Columbia, a
crucial lumber-providing province. Americans have, in effect, made a mad
dash for lumber at the exact moment Canada is least able to supply it.
Climate change, which has long threatened to overturn dependable facts
about the world, is now starting to make itself known in commodities
markets, the exchanges that keep staple goods flowing to companies and
their customers. For years, scientists and agricultural forecasters have
warned that climate change could result in devastating failures among
luxury goods, such as fine chocolate and wine. Others have speculated
about several grain-producing regions slipping into a simultaneous
drought, a phenomenon dubbed “multiple breadbasket failures.” But for
now, a climate-change-induced shortage is showing up more subtly,
dampening supply during a historic demand crunch.

“There are people who say, ‘Climate change isn’t affecting me,’” Janice
Cooke, a forest-industry veteran and biology professor at the University
of Alberta, told me. “But they’re going to go to the hardware store and
say, ‘Holy cow, the price of lumber has gone up.’”
- -
“That was all fine. Salvage was going along,” Cooke said. “And then we
had the forest fires.”

In 2017, British Columbia recorded the worst wildfire season in its
history. Fires cleared 1.2 million hectares of land, or more than 1
percent of the province’s area, and forced 65,000 people to evacuate.
That record was surpassed the following year, when 1.3 million hectares
burned. Worst of all, the fires struck with awful efficiency, consuming
exactly the forest that the salvage plan had saved for last. They “burnt
the last-standing dead supply,” Cooke said. British Columbia’s lean time
had arrived early.

The fires were made more likely by climate change, but—in an ugly
feedback loop—the beetle outbreak also contributed. When conifers are
attacked by pests, they secrete more pitch in self-defense, Cooke said.
Pitch is extremely flammable. When trees are drought-prone and filled
with pitch, it’s like “fire starter on the landscape,” she said. (Nor is
wildfire the only risk of pitch: British Columbia sawmills and pulp
mills have exploded while processing pitch-loaded wood, Cooke said.)...
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/04/climate-origins-massive-lumber-shortage/618727/

[rise above the waters]
*House lifting is big business following a record year of storms*
Diana Olick - APR 19 2021
KEY POINTS

    - With storms intensifying, rainfall increasing and sea levels
    rising, waterfront property owners have to get more creative. For
    some, that means moving to higher ground, but for others, it’s just
    moving the house higher.
    - New Jersey tops the list of states with the most homes that are
    expected to see at least one major flood per year by 2050. More than
    74,000 homes will be affected, according to Climate Central.
    - New Jersey is followed by Florida (57,865), California (36,845),
    Louisiana (33,372) and North Carolina (33,334).
      House lifting has long been a strategy for waterfront real estate,
    but it is now becoming a far bigger business due to climate change.

“The more that things flood, the more there’s going to be a need for
it,” said Mike Brovont of Wolfe House and Building Movers. He’s been in
the house-lifting business for more than two decades.

Brovont points to flooding hot spots like Houston, Louisiana, Alabama
and Mississippi. “Of course, New Jersey and Connecticut shoreline are
always susceptible to that as well,” he added. “And then you get those
high tides, what they call king tides in some areas. You get that
combined with a storm coming in, and that can just do tremendous damage.”

New Jersey tops the list of states with the most homes that are expected
to see at least one major flood per year by 2050, based on projected
sea-level rise. Some 74,165 homes in the state will be affected,
according to Climate Central. Next are Florida (57,865), California
(36,845), Louisiana (33,372) and North Carolina (33,334).

Santo Siciliano and his wife adore living by the water. “I grew up on
the shore. So for me, it’s a no-brainer,” he said.

The flood risk to their Oceanport, New Jersey, home is increasing,
however, so to stay in their home, they had to lift it...
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/house-lifting-is-big-business-following-a-record-year-of-storms.html

[German youth ruling]
*Delaying Climate Action Harms Youth, German High Court Rules in 'Huge
Win for the Climate Movement'*
Climate Nexus - Apr. 30, 2021
Germany's highest court ruled Thursday that the country's 2019 climate
law unconstitutionally saddles young people with the burden of fighting
climate change by "irreversibly offload[ing] major emission reductions
burdens onto periods after 2030."

Olaf Scholz, Germany's finance minister, said the government would
rapidly propose legislation to comply with the ruling. The case was
brought by young people who argued the German plan to reach net-zero
carbon pollution by 2050 backloaded too much of the required emissions
cuts until after 2030.
"We are super happy with the court's decision," 22-year-old plaintiff
Sophie Backsen, who fears sea level rise will engulf her family's farm,
told reporters. "Effective climate protection has to be implemented now
and not in 10 years' time, when it'll be too late."

As reported by The Guardian:

    One of the complainants, Luisa Neubauer, an activist from Fridays
    for Future, welcomed the ruling, saying: "This is huge. Climate
    protection is not nice to have; climate protection is our basic
    right and that's official now. This is a huge win for the climate
    movement, it changes a lot."
    ---
    Neubauer said the climate lobby's success at Karlsruhe was only the
    beginning, emphasising that the five months leading up to the
    federal elections in September, in which the pro-environmental
    Greens have a good chance of entering government, would be crucial.
    "We will continue to fight for a 1.5 degree policy which protects
    our future freedoms, instead of endangering them," she said, adding,
    "gone are the days when we were called ignorant for demanding
    climate action."

https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-action-germany-youth-2652835439.html

[The news archive - famous hoax exposed on May 1st]
*On this day in the history of global warming  May 1, 1998 *

May 1, 1998: The AP reports on a bogus petition allegedly claiming that
15,000 scientists reject the evidence of human-caused climate change.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?slug=2748308&date=19980501
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py2XVILHUjQ

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.