[✔️] May 4, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue May 4 10:58:09 EDT 2021

/*May 4, 2021*/

[BBC covers demonstrations]
*Carbon: How calls for climate justice are shaking the world*

Greta Thunberg: 'We cannot separate social justice from climate justice'
The starkest inequalities are seen in the poorest countries of the
world, where people leaving only a tiny carbon footprint are at the
front line of climate chaos, from floods to ruined crops. But even in
wealthy countries like the UK, there are warnings of carbon inequality.

Amy Norman, a researcher at the think-tank, The Social Market
Foundation, says politicians need to level with voters on what the
transition to net zero will mean for the way we live.

There's potential for a public and political backlash over issues of
unfairness, she says, which could damage trust and ultimately the wider
transition to net zero (removing as many emissions as we produce).
- -
Harriet Lamb says there is a danger that measures designed to encourage
cleaner, greener living might exacerbate existing socio-economic
divisions and derail the drive towards a net zero world.

"We have to have exactly the right policies that tackle climate
inequalities and social inequalities at the same time because the two
are absolutely intertwined," she says.

And while people have been talking about the problem of climate
injustice for decades, young activists are now giving it new momentum.

"This is not David against Goliath, which is the cliché representation
of so much of civil society, this is Goliath slugging it out against
Goliath," she says.

"I would not say the battle is yet won for those pushing for the
dramatic action we need to ensure we do see climate justice but I would
say the scales are beginning to tip."
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56941979

[excellent documentary video on agnotology and disinformation across
industries]
*Fact vs. fake – why don’t we trust science any more? | DW Documentary*
May 2, 2021
DW Documentary
Asbestos, climate change, 5G, coronavirus - the public is caught in a
battle for the truth. Science is being manipulated and undermined to
sway opinion and create doubt. What are the mechanisms behind it all?

Never has scientific knowledge seemed so vast, detailed and widely
shared. And yet it appears to be increasingly challenged.

It’s no longer surprising to see private corporations put strategies in
place to confuse public debate and paralyze political decision-making.
Why did it take decades to classify tobacco as harmful? Why do people
still deny human involvement in climate change? Overwhelmed by an excess
of information, how can we, as citizens, sort out fact from fiction?

One by one, this film dismantles the machinations that aim to turn
science against itself. With the help of declassified archives and
testimonies from experts, lobbyists and politicians, this investigation
plunges us into the science of doubt. Along with a team of experts,
including philosophers, economists, cognitive scientists, politicians,
and scholars, we explore concrete examples of how doubt can be sown, and
try to understand the process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5UPnuSTRjA

[very positive video discussion]
*Reflections on Arctic Ice: Webinar with Dr. Peter Wadhams and Dr.
Leslie Field*
Apr 22, 2021
Arctic Ice Project
Spectacular webinar with climate change and arctic ice experts, Dr.
Peter Wadhams and Dr. Leslie Field.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3BcLES5gCA

[No more betting, check your ticketsur bets]
*Nenana Ice Classic, Alaska’s favorite guessing game, ends with a twist*
Assssociated Press: 3 days ago ago
The 2021 Nenana Ice Classic ended at 12:50 p.m. Friday

NENANA — The ice has gone out on the Tanana River, ending the annual
Nenana Ice Classic, one of Alaska’s most famous guessing games.

Ice classic manager Cherrie Forness said the game ended at 12:50 p.m.
Friday when the ice shifted and the clock inside a tripod set up on the
river ice tripped.

And in this pandemic year, it’s probably no surprise that it all
happened backwards, she said.

When the ice goes out, the tripod usually starts going downriver or
toward the south bank. This year, it went the other direction, upriver,
apparently just enough to trip the mechanism that stopped the clock.

And the tripod was still sitting in the same spot hours after the game
ended instead of floating off with the river.

It’s not known how many people paying $2.50 per ticket correctly guessed
the day, hour and minute the ice went out. She said they are still
entering data, and it might take a week to finish that task.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/fairbanks/2021/04/30/nenana-ice-classic-alaskas-favorite-guessing-game-ends-with-a-twist/

[Republican politics video]
*John Kasich on Climate and Conservatives | Amanpour and Company*
Apr 22, 2021
Amanpour and Company
Many individual states have forged ahead with climate action -- even
during periods of inaction or indecision by the federal government. As
Biden’s ambitious pledge places the climate crisis at the top of the
government's agenda, it’s perhaps hard to remember that the environment
was once a bipartisan issue. Former Ohio Gov. John Kasich is committed
to raising climate change awareness, and explains to Walter Isaacson how
he thinks the GOP has lost its way in the thick of climate denial.

Originally aired on April 22, 2021.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRdn3wh7l08

*On this day in the history of global warming  May 4, 2010
*MSNBC's Keith Olbermann rips syndicated columnist George Will for
continuing to peddle myths about wind energy.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2010/05/04/olbermann-names-will-krauthammer-in-worst-perso/164226*

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.