[✔️] May 23, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun May 23 08:05:18 EDT 2021

/*May 23, 2021*/

[it's called climate destabilization]
*Twenty-one dead as extreme weather hits ultramarathon in China*
Hail, freezing rain and high winds hit runners at high-altitude, 100km
race in Yellow River stone forest in Gansu province
- -
A “significant” drop in temperatures had been forecast in most parts of
Gansu over the weekend but there was anger on Chinese social media that
officials had failed to plan for bad weather.

“Why didn’t the government read the weather forecast and do a risk
assessment?” one commentator wrote.

“This is totally a man-made calamity. Even if the weather is unexpected,
where were the contingency plans?”

At the news briefing on Sunday, Baiyin officials bowed and apologised,
saying they were saddened by the tragic deaths of the runners and that
they were to be blamed...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/23/runners-dead-extreme-weather-hits-mountain-running-race-gansu-china

[better check again - 2 min video news ]
*Report suggests Canada's methane emissions higher than previously
estimated*
May 22, 2021
Global News
Researchers in Nova Scotia say Canada's climate strategy may be based on
estimates of methane emissions that are inaccurately low.

Even though we can't see it or smell it, it's considered a potent
greenhouse gas and the report suggests more methane is leaking from
Canada's oil patch than previously believed.

Ross Lord explains the miscalculation and what it means for the country.
For more info, please go to https://globalnews.ca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN1mRGt8q_0

[New living]
*Off-the-grid homes are coming to your neighborhood, as climate change
creates suburban survivalists*
Diana Olick - MAY 21 2021
-- Increasingly extreme weather from climate change is now a year-round
phenomenon. This has homebuilders reconsidering how they design and
power new homes, and how to take them off the grid.
-- Major grid failure or “blackout” events in the United States,
impacting 50,000 or more people, jumped by more than 60% since 2015.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/21/climate-change-creates-demand-for-off-the-grid-homes-.html

[Wired]
*The Ford F-150 Lightning Is the Electric Vehicle of Dystopia*
The automaker says the battery inside the pickup can power a home for
three days—useful in a world of fires, floods, and freezes.
WHEN TESLA CEO Elon Musk took to a stage in 2019 to unveil the company’s
all-electric Cybertruck pickup, observers were shocked, and that's
putting it mildly. The look was, as one industrial designer told WIRED
at the time, “anti-humanistic,” a ride devised, seemingly, for a Mad Max
future. Despite his role as the mascot for zero-emission vehicles, Musk
is not always sanguine about humanity’s future on Earth—hence all the
Mars stuff—so the truck’s unorthodox design made some sense.
Aarian Marshall writes about autonomous vehicles, transportation policy,
urban planning, and everyone’s favorite topic: How to destroy traffic.
(You can’t, really.)
https://www.wired.com/story/ford-lightning-f150-electric-vehicle-dystopia/
- -
[buy an electric vehicle]
*This Electric Ford Is Climate-Change Ready*
Not only is it zero emissions, but it can power your home for up to ten
days in the event of an infrastructure collapse

    The truck will have one electric motor on each axle, making for a
    total of 426 horsepower and 775 pound-feet of torque. According to
    Ford, it should have a range of 230 miles in real-world conditions.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2424045/electric-ford-f-150-lightning

[Greta's chops stick]*
**Greta Thunberg calls out Chinese state-run media for 'fat-shaming' her
in a scathing article that questioned her veganism*
https://www.businessinsider.com/greta-thunberg-calls-out-china-for-fat-shaming-her-2021-5

[Our Government at Work]
*CONGRESS PLANS CLIMATE RESILIENCY — BUT MOSTLY FOR THE MILITARY*
Since 2019, Congress has repeatedly held hearings on climate resiliency
for bases, but hardly ever talks about schools, public housing, or prisons.
Alleen Brown - May 22 2021
AT A CONGRESSIONAL hearing Wednesday, senators peppered military leaders
with questions about the resilience of Defense Department infrastructure
to the climate crisis. Members of both parties asked the officials for
updates on individual bases’ resiliency plans, questioned how they were
balancing climate adaptation with other priorities, and discussed a list
of the most climate-vulnerable military installations — a congressional
mandate that President Joe Biden doubled down on last month.

It was the type of detailed climate conversation that’s necessary in an
era of a deepening emergency — but a discussion that Congress has
relegated disproportionately to military matters. This week’s session
was the ninth congressional hearing focused on protecting national
security and military installations from climate risk since early 2019,
according to a list of around 300 climate-related hearings held since
the start of that year. A review of the list, compiled by the Climate
Action Campaign, suggests that Congress has prioritized military climate
readiness over climate resilience for other types of publicly funded
infrastructure.
- -
“Looking at climate change through a militarized frame promotes a search
for military solutions.”...
- -
“Instead of pouring more resources into DoD agencies to retool military
bases, we should start planning to close many of these bases.”...
- -
https://theintercept.com/2021/05/22/congress-climate-military/

[trans-doomscrolling]
*We Need to Change How We Talk About Climate Action*
BY HOLLY BUCK
The Left needs a message on climate action that’s about giving more
opportunities for working-class people rather than restricting
individual behavior.
The prospects for climate action are starting to look more promising.
Climate activists have injected the issue into the news agenda and
spooked investors. Coal has peaked, and there’s talk of a peak in oil
demand later this decade, too. Even the future of gas has come into
question. Around the globe, countries, cities, and companies are making
net-zero commitments...
- -
We may have ruled out the worst-case existential scenarios and will now
have to deal with a horrific 3°C of warming instead of 4, 5, or 6
degrees. Perhaps we can even cap it at 2°C. Can we stop to breathe? And
does the turn away from worst-case scenarios mean that we can
effectively rule out geoengineering as a necessary tool?

It’s complicated. Let’s talk about three challenges we’ll have to
navigate during this decade, one possible opportunity, and one near-term
obstacle.

*Understanding Net Zero*
The first challenge is becoming increasingly clear. Net-zero emissions
does not constitute a phaseout of fossil fuel production. Rather, net
zero implies there will be some amount of residual, “difficult-to-abate”
emissions balanced against some degree of negative emissions. The
quantity of this remaining amount is going to be the focus of intense
debate during the 2020s....
- -
Instead of phasing out production as a goal, we have “energy transition”
instead — a friendly alternative term that skips over grimmer language
such as “managed decline” or “exit” of fossil fuels. The idea of energy
transition allows for an organic switch to renewables as they become
cheaper than fossil fuels. The rise of solar provides support for this:
its price has fallen by 89 percent over the past ten years and is now
cheaper than coal, which is a key reason why so many coal plants have
closed.

However, scientific analysis tells us that fossil fuels have to be
actively retired, not just allowed to die a natural death. If we are
going to stay under 1.5°C, production needs to decrease by 6 percent per
year this decade. Instead of pursuing this goal, the world’s countries
are planning an average increase of 2 percent per year, according to a
report that looks at the “Production Gap” between existing plans and
what we need to do...
- -
more at -
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2021/05/climate-change-green-new-deal-technology

[More of our government, ready to work]
*Facing Hurricane and Wildfire Seasons, FEMA Is Already Worn Out*
Multiple missions, combined with years of record disasters, have
strained the agency — and scientists predict an unusually severe
disaster season ahead.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/20/climate/fema-staff-wildfires-hurricane-season.html

[one form of grass roots demonstration]
*Climate activists protest against BP sponsorship at British Museum*
A demonstration also took place at the Science Museum in London where
Shell is a sponsor
- -
According to the campaign group, BP sponsorship provides less than 1% of
the British Museum’s annual income. These cultural deals are up for
renewal this year, and for Danny, who helped organise the protest, the
British Museum is making an “active choice” in upholding its sponsorship
with BP.

He said: “They’re choosing to stick with the sponsor, and they are
actively making a choice to keep propping up a company that is
incredibly complicit in the climate crisis.”...
- -
Also on Saturday, youth activists from UK Student Climate Network
(UKSCN) led a protest at the Science Museum, in response to a new
climate exhibition sponsored by Shell.

Izzy Warren, 17, from west London, who was attending the demonstration,
said: “In the past, drawing links between oil sponsorship and the impact
of climate change has been hard. When you’ve got an exhibition on
climate change and solutions being sponsored by an oil company, there is
something very wrong with that, and I think that’s why this one has got
a lot of attention.”

On Tuesday, the group launched a boycott of the new exhibition, Our
Future Planet, after the museum ignored an open letter demanding the
Science Museum drop its Shell sponsorship, backed by more than 170
scientists and climate organisations.

Shell has come under huge pressure from shareholders voting for carbon
emission reductions, while the International Energy Agency has said
investments in new oil and gas exploration need to end if the world is
to reach net zero by 2050...
- -
Warren added: “I think it is a very cheap way for oil companies to have
social licence in our museums to operate and make it seem like they are
contributing more good. In reality, they are destroying our planet, and
destroying people’s homes and people’s livelihoods.”

A spokesperson for the Science Museum said: “We received a peaceful
protest from UKSCN today. It took place without incident and visitors
continued to have safe access to the inspiration of our museum and to
the vaccination centre.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/22/climate-activists-protest-against-bp-sponsorship-at-british-museum

[BBC offers a comment & analysis and the answer is yes.]
*Could humans really destroy all life on Earth?*
The seemingly insatiable human tendency to consume is changing our
planet and the life on it, but can we change our behaviour?
- -
The Weizmann Institute study estimates that on average, each person on
the globe now produces more anthropogenic mass than his or her
bodyweight every week. "The finding that anthropogenic mass – human made
stuff - now weighs as much as all living things, and the fact that it
keeps accumulating rapidly, gives another clear perspective on how
humanity is now a major player in shaping the face of the planet," says
Professor Ron Milo, whose laboratory conducted this study. "Life on
Earth is affected in a major quantitative manner by the actions of humans."
- -
The scale and size of the anthropogenic matter is alarming. Take the
case of plastic – the birth of the modern plastics era came only in
1907, but today we produce 300 million tons of plastics every year.
Further, the realisation that after water, concrete is the most widely
used substance on Earth is beyond comprehension.

The massive geoengineering process initiated by humans took an
accelerated upswing when materials like concrete and aggregates became
widely available. These two materials make up a major component of the
growth in anthropogenic mass. Even the relatively recent human
adventures of space exploration, which began about 60 years ago, is
triggering a disastrous space junk problem. Alongside this we
haphazardly observe polar cap melts, permafrost thaws, and global
temperatures getting hotter.
- -
Humans have been conditioned to believe that creating something new is a
meaningful purpose of life...
- -
The limits of science have never been more glaringly apparent when
trying to solve this conundrum. Reliance upon green technological
solutions alone is flawed because the focus is still based on new stuff
and more use – not to alter lifestyles or business models that handed us
this problem in the first place. Even if we can replace all fossil
fuel-based vehicles with electric ones, for example, cities are already
struggling to take road space from cars and electric vehicles have their
own footprint on the world's resources due to the materials needed to
build them...
- -
In the age of Anthropocene, humans may feel entitled to pin hope on
technology to fix any problems so that they can continue to do what they
are doing. Faced with the accumulation of long-lived plastic in the
environment, for example, a spurt of innovation led to biodegradable
coffee cups, bags for life and reusable straws. But while it is true
that a sustainable growth model that includes our environment has much
larger potential to persist, we need a different approach to
sustainability that addresses our massive consumerism.
- -
The oceans may be acidifying faster today than they did in the last 300
million years, primarily due to human activities
- -
While there is no proof that we will destroy ourselves, there are clear
indications that we ignore the effects at our own peril. For example,
some of the mass extinctions in the Earth's history are related to
acidification of oceans. The oceans absorb about 30% of the carbon
dioxide released into the atmosphere, which in turn increases the ocean
acidity. The oceans may be acidifying faster today than they did in the
last 300 million years, primarily due to human activities.

"Human life will be negatively affected because of the loss of the many
ecosystem benefits and services provided by biological diversity," says
Loria. "For example, water pollution may affect provisioning services,
such as food and water, by causing a reduction in food diversity and/or
in its quality and safety. Widespread degradation of ecosystems
threatens the conditions of life on Earth, in particular the long-term
survival of our own species."...
- -
Our impact on the planet is much is deeper than carbon footprints or
global warming. It points to a future where the effects of anthropogenic
matter will take over – if it hasn't already – the identity of the Earth
and its life. In the face of this, humans themselves might lose out in
the evolutionary race.

Eliminating materials like concrete or plastic or replacing them with
alternatives is not going to address the fundamental problem with human
attitudes and our unparalleled appetite for more. This is exactly where
materialism can seamlessly transform into a known unknown risk factor in
global catastrophe. The myriad of ways in which it can turn this planet
into a mundane world is something our civilisation has never experienced
before...
- -
In the absence of a fully secure evolutionary shield, we could depend on
our intelligence to survive. Nevertheless, as Abraham Loeb, professor of
science at Harvard University and an astronomer who is searching for
dead cosmic civilisations puts it, "the mark of intelligence is the
ability to promote a better future"...
- -
"If we continue to behave this way, we might not survive very long," he
says. "On the other hand, our actions could be a source of pride for our
descendants if they sustain a civilisation intelligent enough to endure
for many centuries to come."

The story of Bhasmasura in Hindu Mythology offers an eerie parallel to
the impact of materialism. As a devotee of Lord Shiva, he obtains a boon
from Shiva, which empowers him to turn anyone into ashes with a mere
touch on the head. Immediately after gaining this magical ability, he
tries to test it on Shiva himself. Shiva manages to escape, the story goes.

But humans may not be lucky enough to flee from their own actions.
Unless, we offer a different vision rooted in reduction of consumption,
the flames of our own materialism might consume both us and our Pale
Blue Dot.

Santhosh Mathew is a professor of physics and astronomy Regis College,
Greater Boston, and a science writer who has authored two books.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210520-could-humans-really-destroy-all-life-on-earth

[recording the tab]
*Climate change tied to over $820 billion in health care costs per year:
report*
BY ZACK BUDRYK - 5/21/21
The impacts of climate change and fossil fuel production are tied to
more than $820 billion a year in physical and mental health care costs,
according to a report issued Thursday by the Natural Resources Defense
Council (NRDC).

The report, co-produced with the Medical Society Consortium on Climate &
Health and Wisconsin Health Professionals for Climate Action, found that
health problems from soot air pollution alone have a yearly price tag of
$820 billion. Ozone pollution caused by burning fuels and increased
temperatures, meanwhile, adds roughly $7.9 billion in annual health costs...
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/554750-climate-change-tied-to-over-820-billion-in-health-care-costs-per?rl=1

[always changing]
CLIMATE NOTE · May 17, 2021
*Global Warming’s Six Americas: A Review*
By Anthony Leiserowitz, Connie Roser-Renouf, Jennifer Marlon and Edward
Maibach
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Picture1.png
Strategic communication requires the identification and understanding of
target audiences for tailored communication. The Global Warming’s Six
Americas analysis segments the U.S. public into six distinct audiences
who each respond differently to the issue of climate change. The
segments include the Alarmed, Concerned, Cautious, Disengaged, Doubtful,
and Dismissive.

We first developed this framework in 2008 and have been studying and
tracking changes in the groups for over a decade. The framework and
segmentation approach has also been used to assess specialized audiences
(e.g. broadcast meteorologists) and other countries (e.g. India,
Australia, and Germany).
The article reviews how the Six Americas have changed over time,
underlying theory, methodological innovations, and how the framework has
informed the decision making of stakeholders ranging from scientists to
government officials, journalists, educators, and advocates. We conclude
by suggesting that future research should further develop and
investigate the application of the Six Americas within the United
States, while also developing tailored segmentations and related tools
for other countries.

If you would like a copy, please contact us at climatechange at yale.edu
with the Subject Line: Six Americas Review Paper request.
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/global-warmings-six-americas-a-review/

[Content warning -- History of Denialism from the internet news archive
- contains lies, disinformation & opinion manipulation ]
*On this day in the history of global warming  May 23, 2006 *

May 23, 2006: In perhaps the most hilariously demented attack on "An
Inconvenient Truth," former Delaware Congressman and Governor Pete Du
Pont declares in a Wall Street Journal op-ed that we don't need to
reduce C02 emissions because C02 is "vital for plant growth."

    *Don't Be Very Worried*
    The truth about "global warming" is much less dire than Al Gore
    wants you to think.

      BY PETE DU PONT
      Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT

    Since 1970, the year of the first Earth Day, America's population
    has increased by 42%, the country's inflation-adjusted gross
    domestic product has grown 195%, the number of cars and trucks in
    the United States has more than doubled, and the total number of
    miles driven has increased by 178%.

    But during these 35 years of growing population, employment, and
    industrial production, the Environmental Protection Agency reports,
    the environment has substantially improved. Emissions of the six
    principal air pollutants have decreased by 53%. Carbon monoxide
    emissions have dropped from 197 million tons per year to 89 million;
    nitrogen oxides from 27 million tons to 19 million, and sulfur
    dioxide from 31 million to 15 million. Particulates are down 80%,
    and lead emissions have declined by more than 98%...
    - -
      The Climate Science study concludes that projections of global
    warming over the next century "have decreased significantly since
    early modeling efforts," and that global air temperatures should
    increase by 2.5 degrees and the United States by about 1 degree
    Fahrenheit over the next hundred years. The environmental pessimists
    tell us, as in Time magazine's recent global warming issue, to "Be
    Worried. Be Very Worried," but the truth is that our environmental
    progress has been substantially improving, and we should be very
    pleased.

      Mr. du Pont, a former governor of Delaware, is chairman of the
    Dallas-based National Center for Policy Analysis. His column appears
    once a month

http://web.archive.org/web/20060602003144/http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pdupont/?id=110008416

<https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote/2017-October/date.html

<mailto:subscribe at theClimate.Vote?subject=Click%20SEND%20to%20process%20your%20request
to news digest./

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.
http://TheClimate.Vote <http://TheClimate.Vote/ delivering succinct