[✔️] May 24, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon May 24 10:48:01 EDT 2021

/*May 24, 2021*/

[hard to catch up]
*‘War’ footing needed to correct economists’ miscalculations on climate
change, says professor*
PUBLISHED SUN, MAY 23 20219:55 PM EDT
Karen Gilchrist

    -- Economic forecasts predicting the potential impact of climate
    change grossly underestimate the reality and have delayed global
    recovery efforts by decades, a leading professor has said.
    -- Mainstream economists “deliberately and completely” ignored
    scientific data and instead “made up their own numbers,” Steve Keen,
    a fellow at UCL, told CNBC.
    -- Now, a “war-level footing” is required to have any hope of
    repairing the damage, he said.

- -
Referring specifically to a report produced by economists at the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which was instrumental
in outlining global climate targets including those presented at the
Paris Agreement COP21, Keen said even their most severe estimates were a
“trivial underestimate of the damage we expect.”

That is because they “completely and deliberately ignore the possibility
of tipping points,” a point at which climate change can cause
irreversible shifts in the environment.
“I think we should throw the economists completely out of this
discussion and sit the politicians down with the scientists and say
these are the potential outcomes of that much of a change to the
biosphere; we are toying with forces far in excess of ones we can
actually address,” he said.

Keen’s comments come as world leaders wrapped up their final day of
meetings at the Arctic Council — an intergovernmental forum covering
wide-ranging geopolitical issues from climate to trade.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/24/war-footing-needed-to-correct-economists-climate-change-failings.html

- -

[big changes required]
*Biden adviser says reducing red meat isn't sole climate change solution*
The White House's national climate adviser, Gina McCarthy, responded on
Sunday to claims made by Republicans that President Biden’s climate plan
includes a ban on red meat, concluding that “we’re all in a lotta
trouble” if people think consuming less meat is the “entire solution to
climate change.”
- -
The USDA called the claims made by Republicans “a fabrication.”

“This is a fabrication. There is no such effort or policy that exists by
this Administration. It’s not a part of the climate plan nor the
emissions targets. It is not real,” a USDA spokesperson previously told
The Hill.
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/554986-biden-advisor-says-reducing-red-meat-isnt-sole-climate-change

[it's a giant Slip 'n Slide]
*Airborne radar reveals groundwater beneath glacier*
by Stanford University
MAY 20, 2021

    "Based on the radar signal, the study team constructed two possible
    models to describe Hiawatha Glacier's geology: Frozen land with
    thawed ice below it or porous rock that enables drainage, like when
    water flows to the bottom of a vase filled with marbles. These
    hypotheses have different implications for how Hiawatha Glacier may
    respond to a warming climate."

https://phys.org/news/2021-05-airborne-radar-reveals-groundwater-beneath.html

[arriving by train or boat?]
*UAE asks to host 2023 climate change conference*
ARAB NEWS - May 23, 2021
DUBAI: The United Arab Emirates has asked to host the COP 28
international conference on climate change in its capital Abu Dhabi in
2023, state news agency WAM reported on Sunday.

The UAE is offering to host Conference of the Parties (COP 28) to the
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) with a
focus on the economic case for inclusive climate action, the statement
said.

Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs and
International Cooperation, said, “COP 28 will represent a pivotal moment
to capitalize on this opportunity, and our vision is to work with all
countries to realize their net economic benefits from accelerated action. “

“As COP 28 host, the UAE would leverage its experience as a regional and
global convener to mobilize all actors in achieving the Paris Agreement
and reinforcing the compelling investment case for raising ambitions,”
Sheikh Abdullah added.

The UAE is a permanent host country for the International Renewable
Energy Agency (IRENA), and is considered the first country in the region
to sign and ratify the Paris Agreement.

“Climate impacts are already being acutely felt, but our experience
gives us optimism that we can meet global climate goals while creating
social and economic opportunities – with contributions coming from all
corners of the globe,” the minister said.
https://www.arabnews.com/node/1863176/middle-east

[Leaving LA for Vermont ]
Los Angeles Times Opinion
*Op-Ed: Leaving California*
After more than four agreeable decades in California, my wife and I
became climate migrants — highly privileged ones, to be sure — and moved
to Vermont.

Our life in Marin County had turned into a tightrope walk...
- -
We moved with more excitement than regret. We understand our enormous
good fortune: Most people can’t afford to pick up stakes, no matter how
dire the prognosis on home ground. We loved the Bay Area, and now, most
likely, we will love another place, too.

We departed with gratitude for the kindnesses and thoughtfulness of many
people we’ve known, with pain over dear family members and friends (and
the neighbors’ dog we loved looking after) whom we are leaving behind,
and with grief for the suffering and chaos that climate change has just
begun to generate, emphatically in California and eventually everywhere.

We’re at the beginning of the diaspora, and we shudder at the thought.

Jacques Leslie is a contributing writer to Opinion.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-05-23/leaving-california-climate-change-wildfire

[Inside Climate News]
*Trees Fell Faster in the Years Since Companies and Governments Promised
to Stop Cutting Them Down*
The Forest Trends report shows a 50 percent increase in deforestation of
tropical woodlands, most of it for agriculture and much of it illegal,
since the 2014 New York Declaration on Forests.
By Georgina Gustin -- May 19, 2021
- -
The report, released Tuesday by the conservation group Forest Trends,
tracks deforestation, legal and illegal, in 23 countries with large
areas of tropical forests, including Brazil, home to most of the Amazon
rainforest. The research looks at the period, starting in 2014, when
dozens of governments, organizations and companies signed onto the New
York Declaration on Forests, a voluntary agreement to halve
deforestation by 2020 and stop it altogether by 2030.

The researchers found that, since those commitments, an area nearly
twice the size of California has been cleared of trees, mostly for
commercial agriculture, which is the largest driver of deforestation and
the biggest source of greenhouse gas emissions from land use.

“The scale of the increase in deforestation is really huge, and given
all the commitments, is really disappointing and shocking,” said Cassie
Dummett, one of the report’s lead authors. “Every year so much is being
cleared, and when it’s for commodities, that means that the world’s
consumers and governments are complicit.”...
- -
Most of that clearing was driven by a demand for exported commodities.
In addition to beef, the biggest culprit throughout Latin America
continues to be soy, largely for animal feed and destined for overseas
markets, especially China, which has seen a surge in demand for meat. In
Indonesia, the largest driver of deforestation continues to be palm oil,
which finds its way into a wide array of commercial food and consumer
products in markets around the world...
- -
“Behind a lot of this is land deals, land speculation and land
laundering, depending on the country,” Dummett said. “The legal
framework is often exploited, where a nexus of political and business
elites are using commercial agriculture as a means of claiming
ownership, and the land value increases massively when it’s transformed
from forest to agricultural land.”

Dummett said that Forest Trends will follow up on the report with a set
of policy recommendations, but the authors intend it to inform a handful
of legislative proposals already in the works.

Lawmakers in the United Kingdom are considering a law that would ban the
import of any product linked to illegal deforestation. In the United
States, Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) has said he will introduce
legislation that would ban the import of products linked to illegal
deforestation, and has called consuming products connected to such
destruction of woodlands “immoral.”
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/19052021/deforestation-climate-change-forest-trends-companies-governments/?utm_source=InsideClimate+News&utm_campaign=e64d690eb5-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_29c928ffb5-e64d690eb5-327495193

[criticism from India]
*Why to Avoid Reading a Book on Climate Change Written by a Billionaire*
SIXDEGREES on 05/22/2021
NITIN SETHI
I HARDLY WRITE OR REPORT THESE DAYS. A PUBLICATION ASKED FOR A BOOK
REVIEW. BUT, IT REJECTED THE REVIEW UPON READING THE DRAFT. NEEDLESS TO
SAY, ITS NOT A GENTEEL AND POLITE REVIEW. THOUGHT OF SHARING IT FOR
THOSE WHO MAY WANT TO READ IT ANYWAY. IT HAS NOT BEEN EDITED, SO IT
COMES WITH ALL THE TYPOS, ERRORS WITHOUT BEING SUBBED CLEAN.
- -
Chapter by chapter Gates resolves it all for humanity. He tells you how
to have clean transportation, green heating and cooling systems and
adapt to inevitable climate change (this bit has a photo of him standing
with a few cows and farmers in Kenya to boot). Universal truths are
strewn across the pages as sub-heads: “Cities need to change the way
they grow, focus on the most vulnerable people, factor climate change
into policy decisions, help farmers manage the risks from more chaotic
weather.”

Almost as if to ensure he is not blamed for missing out on it, there is
a sliver of a chapter on why government policies matter. A middle on
innovation and technology and then a chapter on what all good DIY books
must tell: “What each of us can do.”

I read these chapters so you and your children do not have to. Stop at
the first half of the first chapter. Why, you may ask?

Because, reading further you might get the impression all it takes is a
goofy, sweet and geeky globetrotting-self to become a genius billionaire
and some techno-interventions to save the planet.

Neither is true. It takes a whole lot of business acumen to be the
first. Mr Gates prefers not to talk of the first. This is the kind of
book one writes after one has made his billions, poured his billions
into philanthropy that part-promotes investments to grow yet more billions.

It certainly takes more to resolve the biggest long-ranging challenge
humanity faces. Do not get me wrong. Mr Gates is right: technology is a
key. But, ask yourself this? If Mr Gates and many like him have the
technology list ready (or almost ready) why is it taking the World, its
most powerful nations and citizens heading these nations, so long to fix
the problem?

I would recommend you read anything that answers to the above question
rather than Mr Gates, who is rather averse to corporates in the global
North relaxing their patents for manufacturers in the global South to
produce vaccines against Covid-19 pandemic. Underneath the banality of
his book lies such real-world challenges, that Mr Gates has decided it’s
best to avoid discussing.

Nitin Sethi is a journalist with The Reporters’ Collective. Besides
other things, he has written on the intersections of climate change,
science, politics and governance for over a decade.
https://www.sixdegreesnews.org/archives/30213/why-to-avoid-reading-a-book-on-climate-change-written-by-a-billionaire

[a classic audio talk from 6 years ago]
*How Humanity Is Causing a 'Sixth Extinction' - Elizabeth Kolbert Interview*
Aug 17, 2015
The Elephant

We typically think of climate change in terms of the consequences it has
for humanity. But it also has huge and troubling impacts on the other
species we share our planet with. In this episode we speak with
Elizabeth Kolbert about her Pulitzer Prize winning book the Sixth
Extinction, and discuss how, like the asteroid that killed the
dinosaurs, human beings are having an impact so disruptive on the
environment that a large proportion of the earth's species will have
likely gone extinct by the end of the century.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPdd8Sz2q8

*On this day in the history of global warming  May 24, 2006 *
May 24, 2006: "An Inconvenient Truth" is released in the United States.
BoxOfficeGuru.com's Gitesh Pandya notes:

    "Setting the limited release box office on fire was the global
    warming documentary 'An Inconvenient Truth' which opened in only
    four theaters but grossed a hefty $367,311. That gave the Al Gore
    pic a stunning average of $91,827 per location over four days.
    Distributed by Paramount Vantage, the new incarnation of Paramount
    Classics, Truth collected $281,330 over the Friday-to-Sunday portion
    averaging a scorching $70,332. Total since Wednesday stands at
    $490,860. Opening this weekend on multiple screens at a pair of
    theaters in both New York and Los Angeles, Truth will add about 60
    more playdates on Friday and expand throughout June hoping to become
    the dominant doc of the summer."

(Al Gore and director Davis Guggenheim would appear on the June 2, 2006
edition of "EcoTalk" on Air America to discuss the film.)
http://youtu.be/8ZUoYGAI5i0
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/052906.htm
http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2006/06/al_gore_about_a.html
http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2006/06/davis_guggenhei.html

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.